OLI Chamber Concerts - Sri N Vijay Siva

Concerts and other events related to CM.
olichamberconcerts

OLI Chamber Concerts - Sri N Vijay Siva

Post by olichamberconcerts »

Dear Friends,

We are delighted to present our next concert for the month in quick succession.
This concert is a musical tribute to Sri D K Jayaraman as we fondly remember him and his music on his birthday.

Sri N Vijay Siva VOCAL
Sri R K Shriramkumar VIOLIN
Sri N Manoj Siva MRDANGAM

22nd July, 6:10 pm
RASVIHAR, 17A Sterling Avenue, Nungambakkam, Chennai.

Looking forward to meeting you all there.

Warm Regards

The OLI Team

NEXT OLI EVENT: Sri N Ramani, 5th Aug 2012 (6:10 pm) at Rasvihar, Nungambakkam

olichamberconcerts

Re: OLI Chamber Concerts - Sri N Vijay Siva

Post by olichamberconcerts »

For those of you who are not familiar with this venue, a prominent landmark is 'Loyola College'.

If approaching the venue from Nungambakkam High Road,

1. Turn left at Sterling road signal
2. Turn left again at the end of Sterling road
3. This road is Sterling Avenue
Ras Vihar is the 3rd building on the left

arasi

Post by arasi »

How many chamber concerts! Congratulations to those behind Oli concerts. Please take a bow in the oLI (limelight)!
Would like to attend at least one (ah, chamber concerts!) if you have one around the season...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote:How many chamber concerts!
I think I recall the number fifteen being mentioned. I know their aim is two a month, so 15 by July end would put them just one ahead.

This was a tremendous concert. I only managed to arrive just before the start, but not managing to come anywhere near the chance of a chair, I ended up with one of the best "seats" in the house, just behind RKSK. With my cushion to sit on, and the wall for my back, I had a comfortable ring-side seat. True, I missed out on RKSK's face, but my ears were nicely close to his violin.

I have always thought of Vijay Siva as a powerful singer, but tonight he was being very gentle. Of course, all the precision, straightforwardness and shere musical beauty of his performance was there, and I was in a wonderful position to watch it.

In between songs he spoke a few things, I think all about D K Jayaraman, perhaps D K Pattammal and others too. Sadly I am still a linguistic duffer, so I was not able to benefit from this. Mentioning this to someone afterwards, I was told that all the feeling of what he said was in what he sang. I wasn't surprised to hear this: he spoke and sang with warmth, gentleness and joy. Of course, RKSK and Manoj Siva contributed considerably. In fact, the unity of the three artists was noticeable.

A very great, very emotional, very wonderful concert.