Doubt - How is Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanada

Rāga related discussions
shreyakolathaya

Doubt - How is Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanada

Post by shreyakolathaya »

namaskaram

Being a student of Carnatic classical music , I have a doubt . How is raga Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanada ?Can someone clear my doubt ?

I am eagerly looking forward to the reply.

mohan

Re: doubt

Post by mohan »

Have a read of this .. http://sriramv.wordpress.com/2008/12/31 ... mber-2008/

It may, however, lead to even more confusion!

narayan

Post by narayan »

shreyakolathaya,
Welcome to the gang! No, your doubt cannot be cleared by me, but there are some very knowledgeable people around here who can perhaps give some pointers. As Mohan says, it may (shall we agree that it will?) lead to more confusion. But so what?
About Karnataka kapi, you must have some particular songs in mind, that you have heard. Madurai Mani Iyer's singing of Venkatachala is much like modern day Kaanada. But what KVN and other people have sung - sumasayaka in Karnataka Kapi - is indeed different from Kaanada. This KK is much closer to what we call Kapi today, or vanilla Kapi, if you like, but _without_ the antara gandhara and the kakali nisada and other notes that are sung in popular kapi, especially post pallavi kapi. Old recordings of Ramnad Krishnan etc. again are ambiguous.
Over to the experts!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Welcome ... and a request :)

If you use meaningful thread titles you are more likely to attract people who can answer your question, and will avoid inconveniencing people who, for instance, wonder what on earth your "doubt" might be about!

Welcome to rasikas.org: it is a wonderful place!

(Mod: Thread title fixed )

narayan

Post by narayan »

I actually meant to say "Welcome to the large gang of people confused about this matter, which includes me!", but sure, welcome to rasikas.org as well! Wonderful place, for sure.

archa

Re: Doubt - How is Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanad

Post by archa »

Karnataka Kapi is a raga that has no individuality of its own. It sounds like Karaharapriya sometimes and sometimes like Durbar. So all songs are being sung in Kapi which is quite delightful and those are the accepted versions. KK songs can also be conveniently rendered in Kanada. Nothing wrong in that.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks folks for this discussion! I revisited that wonderful piece of great great great musical improvisation by the ensemble here:
http://is.gd/gvLuj2
The bonus was that I streamed it via Bluetooth from my iPad to my new wireless 2.1 speakers Fenda W330BT-really nifty bass (at 3990 Rs!), a marvellous experience!
Vihara Maanasa Raame!!!!!

varsha

Post by varsha »

to my new wireless 2.1 speakers Fenda W330BT-really nifty bass
http://www.mediafire.com/?8nr8ri67vtigz79

pl let me know how this track sounds on the fenda - since i have to make up my mind too . ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha,
Sure, the K'kuruchi mangala dhawani streamed beautifully from the iPad safari browser to the Fenda W330BT. The sound file itself didn't seem to be Hi-Fi but sounded like a good 4/5 AM Deepaavali broadcast from AIR Chennai (I know you've a cool archive collection!)
Why i chose the Fenda W330BT: both RCA line and BT inputs, reasonable volume, Bass/Treble controls. Looks nice and price is right too.
It pairs automatically and starts off the player on the mobile phone or iPad by itself! I took my phone and tested at Croma before buying.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Thanks for the feedback . I was wondering how the thavil , at around the 50th minute , would sound on it . Will get one , myself.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Checked again. Sounds really good to me.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

archa wrote:Karnataka Kapi is a raga that has no individuality of its own. It sounds like Karaharapriya sometimes and sometimes like Durbar. So all songs are being sung in Kapi which is quite delightful and those are the accepted versions. KK songs can also be conveniently rendered in Kanada. Nothing wrong in that.
Thats a rather unfortunate comment about a ragam. Karnataka kapi is definitely a ragam that does not deserve that comment.

This ragam has distinct compositions and anchoring phrases.

Please listen to the sumasAyaka varNam or still better, try to get the old karnATaka kApi varNam, 'sArasAlanu nannu' and listen to it.

Kalpakam mAmi's rendition of MD's vIra hanumatE is another version that shows the nuances of the rAgam.

I have heard people rave about one occasion when Brinda amma sang the viruttam 'jAnAti rAma tava nAma ruchim' in kAnaDA and karnATaka kApi one after the other and catching the violinst off guard. Dont know if there is a recording available.

And lastly, it is definitely not acceptable to many of us to accept changing of ragams and versions of compositions from the original.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I agree with rbharath.
May we request that any musician volunteer to record these two ragas vocal or instrumental to bring out the differences and similarities? Any volunteers please?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Did you folks hear this Karnataka Kapi:
http://mio.to/vRn

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

There are many ragas which are similar sounding like Durbar-Nayaki, Kedaragaula-Narayanagaula, Purnachandrika-Janaranjani etc. On that count we don’t say, “C’mon let’s sing ‘nI bhajana gAna’ in Durbar, why have a separate raga called Nayaki”, or “Why sing ‘sri rAmam’ or ‘innALLu daya’ in Narayanagaula, let’s sing it in the more popular Kedaragaula. A now very popular vidwan asked me many years ago, “Why do you people sing ‘vINApustaka dhAriNi’ in Vegavauhini, why not sing it in Chakravaham?” I had to point out to him that Thyagaraja had composed in both Chakravaham as well as in Vegavauhini. If there weren’t any difference why did he compose in both ragas?

The word Karnataka Kapi is itself unnecessary. It was only during the last quarter of the 19th century that Kapi began acquiring Hindustani overtones with the introduction of G3 and N3. As such all of Thyagaraja’s songs in Kapi metamorphosed into Hindustani Kapi. Worse, certain songs in Durbar like ‘nityarUpa’ were changed to Hindustani Kapi just because the original Kapi sounded in certain phrases like Durbar.
Kapi is an ancient raga and is not a bhAShAnga. It has a distinct identity of its own though it may sound in certain places like Durbar, or Kanada or Karharapriya. When one looks at the Kapi songs notated in the 1923 publication ‘thyAgarAja hridayam’ by K.V.Srinivasa Iyengar, one can discover the individuality of this raga. Old time vidwans like Pinakapani have sung ‘inta saukhyamani’ in the original Kapi without the G3 or N3.

There are 3 or 4 songs still extant in the original Kapi. The ‘sumasAyaka’ varnam, the Nauka Charitram song, ‘chUtAmurArE’, ‘venkaTAchalapatE’ of Dikshitar and ‘akhilANDEshwari’ of Shyama Sastri. These songs give a very clear picture of the original Kapi.

jlvina

Post by jlvina »

When Sekhar and I asked Dr Pinakapani , where he got the oru kalai adhi tala version of Inta Soukhyamani from, he said he learnt it from the gramaphone record of Salem Krishna Iyengar.
He has sung it for us and also taught it to me.. there are many instances where G3 and N3 appear in both his singing by himself and teaching me.. Ravisri Sir, i wonder where you have heard the version where he has not used G3 and N3. thanks.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

I have heard a friend saying that Pinakapani did not use G3 or N3. I myself have not heard Pinakapani sing this song. It is perhaps very easy to slip into G3 and N3. Now I remember I have heard a housewife singing mIvalla guNa dOShamEmi in pure Kapi without g3 and n3. I myself am learning inta saukhya from thyAgarAja hridayam now and have managed to avoid slipping into G3 or N3. In any case, we have original Kapi versions of the songs I listed in my previous post. Here's the nortation for the first Avartanam starting with the tAra ShaDja. The last N with a comma is mandra and I am learning it in 2 kaLai:

S' N- NDPD- M P- MGR PMGR-; S RN,; Sa RM
in,ta-sow- khya- mani nE... -; jeppa jA; la..

archa

Post by archa »

Vidvans like Pinakapani don’t make mistakes like your gurus B-M, right RaviSri!! Kapi is sung with G3 and N3 in all songs. Karnataka Kapi is an arSha raga, gone out of vogue, with a slippery existence in Dikshitar’s song. Even in SSP, SD says that nowadays G3 and N3 are being used and he gives certain phrases where these two anya swaras are used. I would like to advise you to follow what you suggested to the Music Academy in another thread, the Dhanammal Photos thread, which you made your own domain and dominated most part of it with your raving about your gurus’ parampara with your ‘rasikas’ in this forum loudly cheering you.
Wake up to the emerging exciting world of contemporary CM and embrace some modernity instead of pulling out obsolete texts such as Thyagaraja Hridayam. Later publications such as Kriti Mani Malai have given the modern versions of the Kapi songs. It is high time you stopped eulogizing long forgotten texts and singers who faced empty halls and train yourself to listen to the likes of GNB, MMI, MS, Sanjay, TMK, Aruna Sairam, Soumya etc. The last two were disciples of the bhani you are so fond of exaggerating about, but both of them have travelled far away from that weeping style, developed styles of their own and are occupying centre stage of CM. Learn from them, please.
Akhilandeswari of SS is quite beautiful with G3 and N3. Listen to Sulocana Pattabhiraman’s rendition of this song. Chuta Murare of Nowka Charitram sounds excellent in the modern Kapi.

jlvina

Post by jlvina »

As i said he has sung this song using both g3 and n3 and for one who has been all his life like a blotting paper able to write notations whatever he heard couldnt ve gone wrong in this. he mentioned clearly that he learnt it from Salem K 's recording and also liked it very much . in his Sangeetha Sourabham , he has written out this song in both the '1 kalai version' and also the '2nd kalai version' that we hear all the time. i myself have also learnt the latter from my earlier guru too . even in the 2 kalai version, i know some parts where g3 and n3 are used by most vidwans.
just sharing what i know.
since i m not in chennai at the moment, i will not be able to go through the notations now till i get back which is oct 15th. and also clarify with the great guru himself when i see him on oct 24th.
thanks

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

even this morning, there was a veenai recital by our own 'vainika' on FM Gold, where he played the MD kriti venkaTAcalapatE.

how many ever years pass by, generations go by, red is always red. black is always black. man is always a man. such are ragams and their names and usages. corruptions and adulterations are always unwarranted.

devan

Post by devan »

archa you are in topform.weeping style you have hit the nail on the head. we used to call them oppari sisters.in this forum the moment you start calling spade a spade they will close the thread.but when somebody prasises x r y to sky level it will kept on coming.keep up the good show.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

If Ragas were to be imagined to be Deva Kanyaas, I am full of sympathy for the Mysterious Devataa 'Karnataka Kapi'. She has been much misrepresented, morphed and maligned for a long time, and this Rasikas.Org thread is another instance.

When I heard about the 'weepy' style, something I understand in the context fully, I was reminded of a mythological soap (yes, it exists :grin: !!!) on a channel called Life OK (yes sir :grin: ) where Sati, and her next avatar Parvati, is weeping all the time. That serial also depicts Devon ka Dev as totally unmoved despite all the weeping (or Karnataka Kapi discussions).

Is it perhaps now time to end this Karnataka Kapi discussion, dissection, dissertation, demarcation, denotification, desecration, deportation, decoration and deification (of which I am culprit!) :^) :!: :^)

Or shall we continue, since actually, it is 'kind of fun' :grin: :!:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rbharath wrote: how many ever years pass by, generations go by, red is always red. black is always black. man is always a man. such are ragams and their names and usages. corruptions and adulterations are always unwarranted.
I have a slightly more liberal/licentious view. Corruptions and Adulterations are inevitable - especially in the domains of creative pursuit. But they do not have to come at the cost of existing art. There is enough literary work begging to be tuned - both past and present. Raga names are quite easy to create. So why "modernise" existing kritis before fully understanding/internalizing them?

narayan

Post by narayan »

Dear archa,

Your short answer to the original question seems to be that karnataka kapi is dead and now there is a modern kapi which is quite nice and all songs in karnataka kapi can be sung in this modern kapi. The original question was about the comparison with kaanada, which is quite insightful, after hearing venkatachala and some of the other songs in some older recordings. But perhaps you are not that interested in this. Fair enough.

Speaking for myself, I honestly like Brinda Mukta Sanjay Aruna Sowmya MMI and many others, quite a lot. About weeping, I do feel like weeping many times and sometimes when music reflects that in some way, it does catch the heart. Just like we don't only read light comedies and comics, we sometimes feeling like reading tragedies as well. I hope there is room for more than one view in this forum.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

jlvina wrote:When Sekhar and I asked Dr Pinakapani , where he got the oru kalai adhi tala version of Inta Soukhyamani from, he said he learnt it from the gramaphone record of Salem Krishna Iyengar.
It would be great if we can listen to that gramophone recording ourselves. Of late, several old gramophone recordings have surfaced, some going back to 1905 or so. I searched youtube but could not find it.

arunk

Post by arunk »

sureshvv wrote: I have a slightly more liberal/licentious view. Corruptions and Adulterations are inevitable - especially in the domains of creative pursuit.
I would say this is a more realistic and holistic view (as opposed to an utopian view on the other spectrum). I would also opine that change is inevitable (i may dare say that this is professed by the highest philosophy to which all of us including the greatest saint composers pay homage to). That any such change is labelled as progressive by some as well as corruption/adulteration by some is also inevitable ;-)

Arun

jlvina

Post by jlvina »

vasanthakokilam wrote: It would be great if we can listen to that gramophone recording ourselves. Of late, several old gramophone recordings have surfaced, some going back to 1905 or so. I searched youtube but could not find it.
I can check when he listened by asking him if i go there end oct, or speak to his son and ask him to find out about the recording ... shall let you know then. rgds , jayalakshmi sekhar

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

JlVina,

Isn't there a recording of Dr. PanigAru singinging the Krishnayyangar version of Inta saukhyamani, which begins at tAra SaDja..? It does indeed have the kAkali niSadam, though I don't recollect the antara gAndhAram being there. Dr pAni has notated both versions of the song - the popular 2 kalai version beginning on mandra niSAda and this other 1 kalai version beginning at the tAra SaDja. These are in the first volume of his sangeeta sourabhamu .

This one kaLai version seems to have several karnAtaka kApi sancara-s rgm,pmm,, sndnp , pn/mp, pdns and the like. When I asked Dr pAni in 2008 if the difference between karnAtaka kApi and hindustani kApi was merely a matter of bhASAnga and upAnga kApi, he emphatically said no. he said that what Carnatic musicians sing as H.kApi has more elements of the Northern rAga Pilu.

I pointed out to Dr. PAni that the version of the rAga in the javalis bAyarAni, parulanna mATa and the padam innALLu teliyaka are all quite different from the popular bhAsAnga kApi, both in having an upanga nature and in having distinct sdancaras, and he agreed. [Though his razor-sharp mind pointed out that the padam did have a few bhASAnga phrases, but then, rAga grammar is different for padams, and for other songs!].

Dr Panigaru told me that he used to hear more of the older upAnga kApi and the other variant(s) of karnAtaka kApi before; while now it is all full of peelu. He said with a sparkle in his eye" dAnilo Ap'peelu' ekkuva!" [That kapi is more appealing].

Please do enquire about these matters when you go to pay your respects to him.

jlvina

Post by jlvina »

Keerthi,
thats what i said too, that he has notated both versions in his Sangeetha Sourabham.
yes he has sung the song in oru kalai in a recording... that s a rec done at home without any accomp. anthara gandharam or g3 comes in only in the charanam part after the line 'swararagalaya sudharasa mandhu.... in 'vara rama nama.. its ' ss. g... gs sgm. m. ' vara. ra...ma. na.. ma--- all the ga s are anthara.. nowhere else it comes in his singing.
i shall clarify your questions when i see him next.
rgds
jayalakshmi sekhar

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

rbharath wrote: ...
Kalpakam mAmi's rendition of MD's vIra hanumatE is another version that shows the nuances of the rAgam.
Could you point me to a recording of Kalpagam Swaminathan playing this kriti if it is available online? I have learnt this song myself a long time ago and I am curious to see how my version compares to the KS version.

Thanks in advance
Thenpaanan

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

The Kapi..( coffee) has many flavors...It is not always Tanjavur degree coffee...
A write up on this raga by Sriram on the discussions held at Music Academy on December 2008 ....

"The next raga taken up was Kapi, which I must clarify here is Karnataka Kapi today though old texts only call it Kapi. The usage of Antara Gandhara and Kakali Nishada is specified at certain places in all texts on this raga. If you thought all this was simple, four records were then played:

1. Ramnad Krishnan singing a brief raga alapana which had so many traces of Darbar.

2. KVN singing the present day Kapi (the Carnatic Hindustani Kapi to be precise) as a prelude to Sumasayaka (of Swati Tirunal) which was always listed under the old (Karnataka) Kapi.

3. Madurai Mani Iyer singing a fast version of Venkatachalapate of Muttuswami Dikshitar which sounded more like Kanada.

4. A vilamba rendition of the same song sung at home by Smt Ramani, NR’s mother in law.

To add to the confusion, Venkatamakhi gives the scales for this raga as SRGMPDNS/SNDPMGGRS while KV Srinivasa Iyengar gives it as SRGMRPMPDNS/SNDPMGRS. More confusion to follow for the Tyagaraja kriti Nityarupa is sung in both Kapi and Darbar.

RR then sang Nityarupa as per the Kanchipuram Naina Pillai style. She said that the SSP definition for Kapi differs from what is sung now in that it allows for DSNP/GGRS/RPMP/RGMP/RPMPRS/PMRMRS phrases. The song Akhilandesvari of Syama Sastry shows usage of MPRMRS in addition to above. The phrase RMP is avoided in all sources but is in vogue in today’s Kapi. Other phrases pointed out by Subbarama Dikshitar but not used by him are SNMPM/PMGMR. Tyagaraja kritis use phrases such as SNDNP/RGMP/RMPDN/SNDP/RGMGR all of which are akin to Rudrapriya.

To further add to the confusion, NR stated that the present day Carnatic Hindustani Kapi is Pilu in Hindustani Music. A clip of Pt Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhim performing this raga together was played. Dr Pappu said that there was a Bharata Natyam Kapi and a Kuchipudi Kapi as well!! NR said that Jagadoddharana was set in Dana Kapi or Madhyama Kapi in some books. ( I needed a Mocha Kapi just then)" :clap:
( http://sriramv.wordpress.com/2008/12/31 ... mber-2008/ )

archa talks with substance and sense but has to learn to use a better acceptable language in a forum like this where different view points will surface

and one has to keep up the decorum ...

The many flavours of Kapi...

read at The Hindu...here..

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/01/23/stor ... 470900.htm

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

The sampradAya pradarshini has a laconic entry for kAnaDa [or kAnra], just listing it under a label ‘aprasiddha’. Also dikSitar has listed both kApi and kAnada as bhASAnga janyas.

Surely Subbarama diksitar must have felt the need to put in an entry for it, since it was a raga prevalent in his time, though it wasn’t recorded by vEnkaTamakhin in the srIrAga gitam, as a janya of the 22nd mela. The fashion in which he had illustrated the bhASanga notes – n3 and g3 is quite different from the way in which they are handled in modern treatments of kApi – karnATaka or not.

In the five compositions notate in the SSP, and in the gitam of venkaTamakhi, and in the sancAri of Sd, we don’t find any instances of the bhAsAnga notes being notated. vEnkatAcalapate, as represented by the oral traditions of Smt. Kalpakam Swaminathan and Tiruppamburam SwaminAtha Pillaidoesn’t use any bhASanga notes.

SubbarAma dikSitar in one of his rAgamalikas composed for the Ananda-Gajapati Raja of Vizianagaram ‘kAmincina kalAvati rA’, has used both ragas kApi and kAnaDa, [the latter he refers to as karnATa]. We have a nice case to compare and understand the difference in Subbarama diksitar’s vision of the rAgas kApi and kAnaDa.

archa,
I am only trying to provoke a healthy discussion on various styles of music.
Which is irrelevant here. Maybe we should restrict our discussions to matters relevant to rAgalakSaNa, on this thread at least.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

thenpaanan wrote: rbharath:

Could you point me to a recording of Kalpagam Swaminathan playing this kriti if it is available online? I have learnt this song myself a long time ago and I am curious to see how my version compares to the KS version.
No ideas about online availability and/or recordings
I only fondly remember her playing this kriti, during one of the innumerable visits to her home.

shankarank

Re: Doubt - How is Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanada

Post by shankarank »

Very simple. Karnataka kapi is the original karaharapriya! ;)

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Doubt - How is Karnataka kapi different from raga Kaanada

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Other two Kritis in Karnataka kapi:
1 Venkataachalapathey: Dikshitar (Manipravala sahitya)
Popularised by Madurai Mani Iyer

2 Sambho satatam paahi kripayaa: Swati Tirunal
Popularised by Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer