Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam @ Ayodhya Mandapam-Ramanavami

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
HR

Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam @ Ayodhya Mandapam-Ramanavami

Post by HR »

Ramanavami Concert Series at Ayodhya Mandapam – West Mambalam
Tuesday – 23rd April
Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam – Vocal
Smt. Usha Rajagopalan – Violin
Thanjavore Sri. Ramadas – Mridangam
Sri. H. Prasanna - Ghatam

• 1. Eranapai – Varnam – Todi – Adi
    2. Vinayaka Ninnu – Hamsadwani – Adi – E.V. Ramakrishna Bhaagavatar - S
    3. Kodanda Ramam – Kokilaravam – Adi - Muttuswami Dikshitar
    4. Karpaga Manohara – Malayamarutham – Khanda Chapu – Papanasam Sivan - R , N , S
    5. Ksheera Sagara Shanayana – Devaganthari – Adi – Thyagaraja
    6. Kanakangaka – Kanakangi – Adi – Kotiswara Iyer – R , S
    7. Ninne Nammithi – Simmendra Madyamam – Misra Chapu – R , N , S , T
    8. Verses from Kamba Ramayanam – Ragamalika – Mohanam , Bhagesri , Mand followed by Kovil Sella Vendam – Mand – Adi – Nadopasana Srinivasan
    9. Bhajan - Bhajo Madhura Hari Naam Nirantara - Hindustani Todi - Ekam
    10. Venkatachala Nilayam – SindhuBhairavi – Adi – Purandaradasa
    11. Mangalam

- The concert started at 7 PM and the artists on stage dedicated the concert to Violin Vidwan Sri. Lalgudi G. Jayaraman. The songlist was wide-ranging , with a good contrast of composers, ragams, kaalapramaanam

- Swarams in Vinayaka Ninnu were sung in the Pallavi line.

- Following the composition by Dikshitar in Kokialaravam , the artist sang a detailed Malayamarutham . Niraval and Swarams were sung at the Charanam Line – Unadhadi Panindhu. Kalpana Swarams were sung in very interesting patterns of combinations of three and four swarams. The composition was a very apt choice – for it was Praodosham yesterday.

- Ksheera Sagara Shayana presented itself daintily , and there was a beautiful sangati sung mellifluously in the Anu-Charanam line – reaching the higher octave Panchamam (Pa -Thara Sthaayi)

- Kanakangi raga, which we don’t get to hear often, was elaborated in detail employing both the Vivadi swarams (G1 and N1) beautifully together in many Sangatis. Swarams were rendered in the Pallavi line with interesting responses by the violinist.

- Ksheera Sagara and Kanakangaka provided a very suitable contrast to an energetic and riveting Simmendra Madyamam, which was rendered in a comprehensive manner. Niraval and Swarams in the main song were presented in the Anupallavi Line – Pannagendra Shayana , followed by the Thani Avartanam.

- Following the verse from Kamba Ramayanam , was a rare composition in Mand - by Nadhopasana Sri. Srinivasan. The simple and soulful words of this song, and the tune in Mand make it very pleasurable to listen to, and the song is often an audience favorite ! This was followed by the bhajan in Hindustani Todi, and Venkatachala Nilayam in SinduBhairavi

- Sri. Ramadas Sir played such a rich variety and Theermaanams, it was a pleasure to listen to the playing. He was aptly supported by Sri. H. Prasanna on the Ghatam, and together, both artists held the audience in rapt attention with the energetic Thaniavartanam

CRama

Re: Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam @ Ayodhya Mandapam-Ramanav

Post by CRama »

Thanks for the review. Nice list of songs- Kanakangi and Malayamarutham alapanas and Simhendramadhyamam for main. The concert must have been of high standard. Sorry to have missed this.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

thanks, HR. Wow, I did not know that Nadopasana Srinivasan was also a composer!

As CRama says, a really weight-y list (kokilaravam, kanakangi) for an Ayodhya mandapam concert; most people sing very "junta" material there, given the generally large crowds and the enveloping chaos of west mambalam. That said, I have listened to some very memorable concerts there in my childhood.

Very pleased to hear of the dedication to LGJ.

HR

Post by HR »

The Vivadi song was a request from the organizers . here is a photo taken during the concert

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks for the review and picture, HR.

VS's concerts are usually an interesting blend of songs and rAgAs. Wonder which verses she sang from kamba rAmayaNam.

Mahavishnu,
I was surprised too to hear that Nadopasana Srinivasan was a composer. He was kind enough to give me a copy of his compositions. I don't have it here with me. Perhaps Lakshman can help with the lyrics of the song in mAND that VS sang.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mahavishnu
Some time back there was even an exclusive concert of nadopasana srinivasan sung by varalakshmi anandakumar. The review is here
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... nadopasana

Mods
The review of jagan is truncated , we have lost the content of the first post , can you check and restore it

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I don't get it. Where IS Jagan's review? I don't see it.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
I don't get it. Where IS Jagan's review? I don't see it.
I recollect some what vaguely that Jagan wrote more than two lines in the post where in he mentioned about varalakshmi concert in the below url.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7521&hilit=nadopasana

Mods
few posts appears truncated that too when it ends with a single or a double quote. Can you check the above post if the content is actually more than just the two lines.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the song in mAND.

kOvil sella vENDAm. rAgA: mAND. Adi tALA.

P: kOvil sella vENDAm vEdam solla vENDAm anudinam rAma japam seidAlE
A: ravi vamsha rAjanai rAghavanaip-pADinAl dAsharathi tALgaLai tanjam aDaindiTTAl
C: kAlanum anjuvAn rAmadAsaraik-kaNDu kAlam vINAkkAmal rAmagAnam seivOm
nIlavaNNa nirattAnai nekkurugip-pADi hare rAma hare rAma rAma rAma hare hare enrAl

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rajesh: I see an 'edit' by Jagan. Other than that, I do not see any more content than what you see.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

* There is nothing unusual about her pursuing the abiding mission on popularizing less known Vaggeyakaras
Last edited by satyabalu on 01 May 2013, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

HR

Post by HR »

Arasi Ma'am,

The Kamba Ramayanam verse rendered was -- 'Nanmayum Selvamum Naalum Nalgume ---------- Rama Endra Irandu Ezhuthinaal'

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, HR!