T V Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
mohan

T V Gopalakrishnan

Post by mohan »

Article about senior mrudangam and vocal vidwan, Tirupunithura Viswanatha Gopalakrishnan (aka TVG), who recently received the Padma Bhushan award.

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2874905.ece

VK RAMAN

Re: T V Gopalakrishnan

Post by VK RAMAN »

Great coverage to a legend unparalleled in Carnatic Music and I wonder they are any living artists who are skilled in Vocal (CM and Hindustani), mrdangam and violin. I love his statement “The survival of Carnatic music depends upon whether or not musicians keep the purity of notes,” he says, pointing out that if light music is so popular today, it is because the notes are in their pure forms." How true!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Forumites: Ned your help!!
I am looking for a Pada Varnam in Nattaikurinji (Varanamukha Vaa) composed by Padma Bhushan T.V.Gopalakrishnan--both lyrics and audio.

Can somebody steer me?
Thanks.
Note: I have posted this request in the Vaggeyakaras section as well hoping it would catch somebody's eye!!!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vAraNamukha vA (pv). rAgA: nATakuranji. Adi tALA. T.V.Gopalakrishnan.

P: vAaNmukha vA nAn unnai tudikka vENDum varam aruLvAi siddhi vinAyakanE
A: enrum mudalil unnai pADinAlE innalgaLai nIkki inbam taruvAyE
C: umaiyavaL maganai aruL purivAi unadaDiya nalam peravE
(caranasvara sAhityas)
1: ammai appanai en ulagam ena eDuttu OdiyavanE
2: mAl maruganum vaLLiyum onrAgi maNam puNara oru tuNai ninravar
3: tanjamena unadaDimalarine tane sondamuDanE bhaktar paDai sharaNaDaiya
karam aindum varam taravE mukham aindum oLi parava tiru naTana gaNapatiyE
4 : vA vA akara mudal ezhuttAga nI vA Ananda naDaiyuDane
nI vA tiru vinaigal tIra Ishan magane parivoDu nI vA
ezhil vaDivamAga Ezhai enakkAga oyyAramAgum omkAra mAgavA
unadu pugazhurengum unadaDimai nAn paDum UvagayuDan nAladuvam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji,
A few corrections. I can't make out the last word.

P: vAraNmukhavA nAn unnai tudikka vENDum varam aruLvAi siddhi vinAyakanE
A: enrum mudalil unnai pADinAlE innalgaLai nIkki inbam taruvAyE
C: umaiyavaL maganAi aruL purivAi unadaDiyAr nalam peravE
(caranasvara sAhityas)
1: ammai appanai en ulagam ena eDuttu OdiyavanE
2: mAl maruganum vaLLiyum onrAgi maNam puNara oru tuNai ninravA
3: tanjamena unadaDimalariNai tAne sondamuDanE bhaktar paDai sharaNaDaiya
karam aindum varam taravE mukham aindum oLi parava tiru naTana gaNapatiyE
4 : vA vA agara mudal ezhuttAga nI vA Ananda naDaiyuDane
nI vA tiru vinaigal tIra Ishan magane parivoDu nI vA
ezhil vaDivamAga Ezhai enakkAga oyyAramAgum omkAramAga vA
unadu pugazh Urengum unadaDimai nAn paDum UvagayuDan nAladuvam

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the corrections rshankar.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TVG's tribute to MDR turned the clock back...
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article3451532.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TVG honoured with Sangeeetha choodamani , the prestigious award from skgs. Also vidushi E gayaathri awarded aacharya choodamani, COngratulations to both :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... 956026.ece

With the sangeeetha choodamani award Will Music Academy award the same year as SKGS their highest award to shri TVG. We have to wait.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Bumping this thread up too, in the context of the great mridanga vidwans we have been discussing.

Here is a beautiful recording of BMK/MSG/TVG (all very young in their thirties) with this immortal Nannu kanna thalli.
https://soundcloud.com/ramesh-balasubra ... nna-thalli
TVG's nadham, his thoppi usage, sarva laghu and anticipation of sangatis. All superb!

Just to illustrate the timelessness of this music, compare with this octagenarian TVG with octagenarian BMK from earlier this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZTFi1EQS6Q

It is really something when musicians have a 50+ year history of collaboration!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes, TVG has given me many special musical moments...
Here is another gem of a concert:
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in/ ... iramu.html

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

absolute gem. thanks for drawing our attention to this marvel, RSachi.
Do you know who is giving vocal support to BMK here?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sorry, no idea.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rsachi,

I think you are in someway related to Mr.Srikantaih of PARVATi.I admire the excellent concerts held under PARVATI.
I am just curious to know why PARVATI was discontinued????

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. Srikantiah continues to conduct concerts as the K.Putturao Memorial series since 2011. It is from Aug.31 to Sep.4 this year at Jaganmohan Palace, Mysore. A rich fare is expected. You can get details of the previous two festivals in the Parvathi blog. This year's programme will be announced very shortly.

hnbhagavan

Re: Parvati Cocerts.

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rsachi,

Thank you for the clarification.I have heard about this.Glad to know that Mr.Srikantaih continues to be active.The Parvati series is simply irreplaceable.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Write up on TVG. I did not know that snippets of nandanar charithram was sung by tvg in that thamizh film kann sivanthal mann sivakkkum.(Is there some link to those nandanar charitram snippets that he sang). Few months back in podigai tv program ,I heard tvg telling that only chembai was the first to popularize nandanar charitram even though quite a few think that others like dandapani desigar did .

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 651662.ece

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

https://www.facebook.com/54159653268854 ... 855807736/

Here is a fine video snippet on Sri. TVG by my friend Vid. Kumaresh.

Kumaresh is a very expressive communicator always.

I must say that I am a bit surprised that this wonderful forum is not bursting with stories about and tributes to this artiste non-pareil Sri. TVG.

I used to see this live-wire, handsome (like Tony Curtis) mridangist accompany Chembai and BMK in many concerts in the sixties.

Later I bumped into him in Kalakshetra, Shastri Hall, even the PTI Cafeteria in Delhi. I am not shy of accosting musicians and starting a conversation. And Sri. TVG has been one of the most charming and easy musicians to converse with.

In Kalakshetra he spoke highly of Rukmani Devi. If one didn't know him, he would have been easily mistaken for a rasika like me.

In Shastri Hall it was the occasion when Sri Mani Iyer accompanied MSG on the mridangam. The hall was full of great mridangists.

In Delhi Sri. TVG played in a laya concert with Latif Ahmed on the tabla, and others on pakhawaj, ghatam etc. Both TVG and Latif were extraordinary percussionists and I remember in that large hall in Ashoka Hotel many foreigners were standing up and going crazy about the frenzy of percussive brilliance on show. I remember how one white man stood up, stretched and held out his mic (he was recording on his cassette player) with like a reporter capturing the words of a film star.

Later I heard an unforgettable Chitraveena Ravikiran concert in Fort High School with Kanyakumari and TVG.
TVG was totally brilliant-egging on Ravikiran, a teenager, to greater and greater heights. Nadopasana followed by TVG Tani.

TVG doesn't play mridangam as a mere percussive instrument. He can produce a variety of swaras also. His anticipation and way of enhancing the song are extraordinary.

I have seen the reverence shown to him by Sanjay, Rajkumar Bharati, Varadarajan, Ilayaraja and many many others.

Sri. TVG speaks eloquently on the art of singing and music in general.

Thanks to Vid. Amrutha Venkatesh for singing some of his tillanas and compositions.

This one is a gem:

Press on the pic to play.

The song is an exquisite amalgam of Maatu+Dhaatu.

Namaskarams to a great artiste ambassador for our art form Sri. TVG!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi
Good one and i will look at facebook bit later.

His strengths that were impressive to me as always
--------------------------------------------
1. He has shared his knowledge and has really taken the goodness of his guru chembai. I recently read a write up where Isaignani Illayaraja stated how he in early mid 80's (may be even late 70s's) used to go to TVG to learn intense classical music , ragas . Few months back Varadarajan the violinist has also stated TVG as guru.

2. Very recently may be last 3 years only i had a chance to hear Amrutha venkatesh render some compositions of TVG , not just thillana but also krithis. They are extremely insightful and very lucid too. I see a flash like Tanjore Sankara Iyer there

3. His play as a mrudangist is simply phenomenal , especially the recordings of few medieval greats like SKR,TRS, Mali etc. The patterns had so much sowkhyam . I have not seen/heard his accompaniment as violinist or his contributions/collaborations on jazz/hm . No idea there

On a flip side he is not a great carnatic stage performing vocalist , bit average in every sense . I only had one experience of he singing once in TTD-TNagar which i reviewed here, he at times has a habit of also talking during the course of concert

All said a brilliant artist who has been a great tutor and really has spotted and enriched the potential of many youngsters.

Here is one nice writeup of The Hindu that was published in 2017, kind of shows his multifaceted personality
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 727651.ece

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes, Rajesh!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Varadarajan has been his student for sometime. I don't know how long, but years.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

OK. folks. It will help us appreciate the musical stature of Sri. TVG if we share here some of his great mridangam performances as an accompanists to yesteryear greats. I do not see much captured on the notorious Youtube.

Can someone start the process? Thanks

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Even A R Rehman is supposed to be TVG's student.
Watch TVG felicitation Function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgD6N7JliE

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TVG sir 90th birthday . Nice writeup . I love his mrudangam , his compositions , his collaborations and as a guru to Isaignani illayaraja, not a big fan of him as a vocalist.

June 11th ,2021 , The Hindu writeup.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 784145.ece