Sankararaman murder case

History, religion and culture
venkatakailasam

Sankararaman murder case

Post by venkatakailasam »

A Puducherry court on Wednesday acquitted all the 23 accused in the high-profile 2004 Sankararaman murder case.

Notably, Kanchipuram Sankara Mutt Jayendra Saraswathi and Vijayendra Saraswathi were the prime accused in the case.

Puducherry principal district and sessions judge CS Murugan pronounced the judgement after a trial which ran for over nine years.

The judge held that the witnesses failed to support the prosecution case that the two Sankaracharyas -- Jayendra (78) and Vijayendra (44) -- were part of a conspiracy to eliminate the temple official in September 2004.

more at ...

http://zeenews.india.com/news/tamil-nad ... 92638.html

cmlover

Re: Sankararaman murder case

Post by cmlover »

Good News!
Justice finally done...
The Acharyas can now pursue aanmmekam without let or hindrance...
But the 64 dollar question is:
"Who killed Sankararaman?"

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

"pursue aanmmekam.."

If aanmeekam has been the only pursuit, the mutt would not have come to grief. There was an instance in the life Kanchi Paramacharya. There was a rich man from the North who came for darshan of Paramacharya and wanted to donate a lakh of rupees to the mutt. Paramacharya said "adO angE oru pillukkari pil piDingiNDirukka. Ava kittErundu oru kaTTu pillu vangi mATTukku pODu" (Look, there is a woman collecting fresh grass. Purchase one bundle of grass from her and give it to the cow). What is the cost of the bundle of grass - just one paisa or one anna (as the case may be).

That is indeed worth of money. When mutt starts hobnobbing with money bags and starts going for 'so called' social activities, you get into trouble. Social activism is essential. A sanyasi is not a recluse. His sanyasa should be useful to the society. But he is like a lighthouse. People in distress look for the lighthouse and know where to go and where not to. But lighthouse does not go to the people. Even if it goes, in the empirical sense, it is only to serve, not to gather.

Every degradation starts with money.

During the days of Paramacharya, mutt survived on 'hand to mouth' basis. But its glory touched the sky. Today mutts are flush with funds and glory to dust. sirippadA azhuvadA, sol en daivamE?

if the guiding lights fail who is there to redeem the fallen?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. Govindan,
Sagely words indeed. I also think today's religious heads are much too much close to politicians, businessmen and even criminals. They will continue to be tarnished.

They talk so much, they are far from practising even the basics of Bhagavadgita.

सुर मंदिर तरु मूल निवासः
शय्या भूतल मजिनं वासः |
सर्व परिग्रह भोग त्यागः
कस्य सुखं न करोति विरागः

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Rsachi avare,

Think this quote is from SrI Shamkara BhagavatpAda's Bhaja gOvimdam.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sure, I know that! (the name Govindan triggered that quote).
I quoted that to show what Sankara told his followers, and in contrast these Mathadhipatis are up to all kinds of acitivities..

in fact every time I read that Bhajagovindam shloka, I think of how Sankara or other successors like Paramacharya would have lived in Kanchi.....it seems to describe that Kanchi setting so well.
Last edited by Rsachi on 28 Nov 2013, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

I agree..But Sringeri mutt Sankarachariar is free from other activities unlike Jayandrar..

There are complaints about the junior one also..

The age old institution of Kanchi mutt has to be protected..

GOK..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

We get what we deserve!
They were both chosen by Maha Periava himself for whatever reason. But he knows best.
Even the worst of sinners have become mahatmas as we know from Valmiki, Tulsidas, and others.
Acharya's decisions are inscrutable as is evident from all the stories you have been posting.
Perhaps the best is yet to come....

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

last line in CML's post no 2.
Gurumurthy's article in today's indian e

http://newindianexpress.com/nation/Reca ... 915161.ece

tenth line from THE END reads:
......I asked him whether he thought of the possibility of someone inimical to the Acharya eliminating the victim to put the blame on the Acharya....
The word inimical is powerful. Some people are dead in the course of the court case of9years !

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Ponbhairavi for the Gurumurthy article who was also hounded for honestly fighting for the Truth.
The Dravidian plot was to denigrate all Brahmins (and thus Hinduism) using Sankaracharya at the apex,
and not out of any honest compassion for the unfotunate victim...
The acharyas got burnt by sticking their nose into politics and I hope they learned the lesson.
Fortunately the Judiciary has refused to play politics and has done its job creditably.
Let us hope the Kanchi Mutt will regain its lost Glory and the Acharyas will focus their efforts
hereinafter towards that end....