Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Carnatic Musicians
smala

Re: Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Post by smala »

rshankar, Deepa Mohan has shared with me that she finds your translation infinitely better than her own '2-cents worth' and has used it her LiveJournal blog along with the transliteration. She conveys her thanks to you, via me, since she is not a member of rasikas.

thanks again for your wonderful translation.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

smala wrote:rshankar, Deepa Mohan has shared with me that she finds your translation infinitely better than her own '2-cents worth' and has used it her LiveJournal blog along with the transliteration. She conveys her thanks to you, via me, since she is not a member of rasikas.

thanks again for your wonderful translation.
Thank you! I have to say that I am flattered. Please let her know.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

rshankar Sir

Your work offering is 'vairamuthu mani maalai', original and translation, very poignant.

munirao2001

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There are quite a lot of write ups on mandolin shrinivas in The HIndu Friday Review .

This is very touching tribute from coartists . U Srinivas is very much like Lord Anjaneya , he never knew what his actual strength was?
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 445612.ece

Nice article on the lord of strings.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 441931.ece

I Never knew the GNB-MLV connection. He always searched for carnatic depth. Perhaps this connection was one prime reason.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 445556.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you everyone! The poem has been swirling in my mind ever since I heard it...the person singing it has done a fabulous job, enunciating the words perfectly, with the final output coming across as a combination of a 'devasa mantam' and a reverential prayer - amazing...the hint of pathos, the acceptance of fate, the telling it as it is etc., all of it done just right, with no one element emphasized over the others. Sri Vairamutthu is a fabulous poet...and the person who tuned and 'sang' has done so with the utmost respect for the sensibilities expressed in the poem.
Ranganayaki wrote:Time is always there to help us all.
Or, as Sri Vairamutthu says, maradiyaip-pOl Or mA marundillai - nothing like amnesia, which is how time heals I suppose, by helping us forget the wounds, and the raw grief that strikes us at the time of the tragedy, making it almost impossible to breathe, and inconceivable to carry on living...time probably dulls the sharp, intolerable pain to an ache that's tolerable, and the raw, open wounds into scars that we bury in our subconscious, and carry on.....

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

A rare photo..

Shrinivas with Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer and Maharajapuram Santhanam

one more with MGR..

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Gamakam/Ranganayaki/Smala/Rshankar for sharing the writing and translations. Quite poignant and make us reflect on things which we normally do not think about.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

It is almost ten days since the prodigy, the genius, the maestro, the young lad left us. It is a week since I returned home. In my jet lagged physical and mental state, I have been reading more and more about him. I am not able to bring myself to listen to his music. As Gamakam wrote, let The Lord keep his music, but let HIM return the little boy to us.
I have been penning(!) my thoughts. Here are a couple of my outpourings.

One week has gone by! How we wish we could turn the clock back,
Reading all these tributes , the cruelty of fate strikes hard.
What a genius, what a gentle soul!
Whether he adopted or adapted the Mandolin
Or whether the Mandolin ' adopted' him
It was his baby, he cajoled it, he caressed it
He pleaded with it, he scolded it
He patted it, he rewarded it
Together they made the music of the highest order
The music fit for Gods, some of which they sprinkled on us,
The lesser mortals, and as we sat lapping it all up
Off he went , with all the music
To offer it all at the Divine Lotus Feet
May be, he thought ' I have given these mortals enough,
They deserve no more, now it is only for my MASTER!

ஒரு மாண்டலின் கேட்கிறது

ஒரு மூலையில் கிடந்த என்னை கண்டெடுத்தாய்

தூசு தட்டி என் தந்திகளை சுருதி சேர்த்தாய்

அன்று முதல் நீ நான் ஆனாய் நான் நீ ஆனேன்

கிழக்கும் மேற்க்கும் சேராதென்பார்

நீயுமோ நானுமோ பிரியவே இல்லை

நீ உயரப் பறந்தாய் என்னையும் கொண்டு சென்றாய்

இன்று நான் பாரமானேனோ? என்னை விட்டு

நீ மட்டும் சென்றதேனோ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Punarvasu,
Your post, especially the tamizh poem touches the heart. Post it in the kavithaigaL thread also in the Tamizh section under Languages, where I have posted mine. VKailasam has one somewhere--I cannot remember where I found it. It will be nice to have a collection of the tamizh verses remembering the gandharvA, all in one place...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Arasi, I have come to browse thro Rasikas after a long time. With my travel to the US, and the stay there with other pre occupations I have been irregular in accessing this site. The last one week has been very emotionally and physically draining, I could not read so many posts here. I will post it in the Tamil section . I have a couple more too. Just some outpourings!
Rshankar, smala, such beautiful translations( thanks ,smala for sharing your friend's) . The words of Vairamuththu are so powerful and rshankar, as usual has done full justice to it.

venkatakailasam

Punarvasu..nice one..

I remember seeing it in FB also..

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Yes, sir. As I was writing the poem, I saw some posts on him and immediately posted it in the comments section.

venkatakailasam

தேவலோகத்தில் நவராத்திரி விழா.

கொலு பொம்மைகளுக்கு பதிலாக தேவர்கள், தேவ பத்னிகள் , ரிஷிகள், முனிவர்கள், தத்தம் அருந்ததிகள், அனசூயைகள், அகலிகைகள், லோபாமுத்ரைகளோடு படிப்படியாக அமர்ந்திருக்கிறார்கள்.

''இந்திரா, இந்த வருஷம் என்ன விசேஷம் நமது நவராத்திரி வைபவத்தில்? ''
பிரமன் கேட்கிறான்.

'' ஒவ்வொரு வருஷமும் ஏதாவது புதிதாக ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி உண்டே இந்த வருஷம் ??'' நாரதர் கேள்வி எழுப்புகிறார்.

''ஏன் உங்களுக்கு நான் நமது தேவலோகத்தின் மிகச்சிறந்த கலைஞர்களின் அற்புத நிகழ்ச்சிகளை அளிக்கி
றேனே போதவில்லையா? '' இது இந்திராணி.

'' ரம்பையின் பரத நாட்யமோ, மேனகையின் குச்சிப்புடியோ, ஊர்வசியின் குறத்தி டான்ஸோ எத்தனை யுகங்களாக பார்த்து பார்த்து அலுத்து விட்டதே'' . என்றான் வருணன்.

'' வருணா. போதும் நிறுத்து. பூமியில் தண்ணீர் தேவை மழையை அனுப்பு என்றால் இங்கு கண்ணீர் விடுகிறாய். எங்கள் நிகழ்ச்சிகள் பிடிக்கவில்லையென்றால் போய் வழக்கம் போல் குமுதம் படி'' என்றான் வாயு.

'' காற்றுவாக்கிலே என்று கல்கி எழுதறதை, நீ காற்றுக்கு தேவன் என்பதால் முன்பெல்லாம் படிப்பதால் என்னை குமுதம் படி என்கிறாயா'' என்று பதில் சொன்னான் வாயு.

''நவராத்ரி என்பதே ஒன்பதுநாளும் விரதம் இருக்கத்தான் என்று காந்தி தாத்தா அதோ பட்டினியாக மரத்தடியிலே உட்கார்ந்திருக்கிறார். அங்கே போயாவது கொஞ்சம் அவர் பக்கத்துலே உட்காரப்போறேன்'' என்றான் அக்னி.

''சரி இந்த பேச்செல்லாம் வேண்டாம். ஒவ்வொரு வருஷமும் பல தேச கலைஞர்கள் நிகழ்ச்சி உண்டே இந்த வருஷமும் பூமியிலிருந்து வந்து இங்கு நம்மோடு இருக்கும் M .K .T. படங்களை பார்க்கலாமோ?'' என்றார் நாரதர்.

''முழு ராத்ரி கண் முழிக்கவேண்டும். நம்மால் முடியாது'' என்றாள் அனசுயா. அதற்கு பேசாமல் ராஜ் கபூர் படங்களையாவது பார்த்தால் விறுவிறுப்பாக இருக்காது.?''

''இந்திபாட்டுலே உனக்கு விருப்பத்தை இப்படி தெரியப்படுத்திரியா ? நீ கேட்டு தான் போன வருஷம் A .M .ராஜா வையும் கண்டசாலாவையும் சேர்ந்து பாட வைத்தோம். எத்தனை தேவர்கள் அதைக்கேட்டு மகிழ்ந்தார்கள். இந்தவருஷமும் ......?

''நிறுத்து நாரதா. நீ குறும்பும் குசும்பும் பிடித்தவன். கண்டசாலா பாடுவார் என்றால் சோகப் பாட்டுக்கள் பாடுவதில் தானே அவர் பிரபலம். நவராத்ரியில் சோகம் ரொம்ப அவசியமோ? எந்த தேவன் அதை ரசிப்பான்? என்றான் நந்தி தேவன்.

உன் பெரில்லும் தேவன் இருப்பதாலும் நீ விரும்பி படிப்பது அந்த தமிழ் எழுத்தாளர் தேவன் என்பதாலும் நீ ஜாடையாக சொல்வது அந்த தமிழ் எழுத்தாளரைப்பற்றி, அதாவது அவர் எழுதிய துப்பறியும் சாம்புவை மீண்டும் நாடகமாக பார்க்கத்தான் என்று புரிந்து கொண்டேன். '' எத்தனை தரம் பார்த்திருக்கிறோம். நமக்கு இங்கு நேரம் அதிகம். அதனால் உலகத்தின் பல கலைகளை நாம் அறிவோம். புதிதாக எதாவது யோசித்து ஏற்பாடு செய்யுங்கள் இன்னும் சற்று நேரத்தில் வருகிறேன். அதற்குள் தயாராகட்டும்.'' என்று கட்டளையிட்டுவிட்டு இந்திரன் புறப்பட்டான்.

''வருணா, நாம் நிறைய தமிழ் நாட்டு சங்கீதம், வட இந்திய டான்ஸ் , பாட்டு எல்லாம் அனுபவிச்சாச்சே. கேட்டு விட்டோம். புதிது ஏதாவது என்கிறாரே தலைவர். பியானோ சங்கீதம் போடலாமா? ''என்றான் வாயு.

''பியானோ ஓகே. ஆனால் நமக்கு என்னவோ அந்த மேல் நாட்டு சங்கீதம் ரசிக்க முடியவில்லையே ''என்று அபிப்ராயம் தந்தார் நாரதர்.

'' அப்படியென்றால் பியானோ வேண்டாம். வேறே.....? யமா. நல்ல வேளை நீ இங்கே வந்தாய் . இந்திரன் புதிதாக இந்த வருஷம் ஒரு கலை நிகழ்ச்சி வேண்டும் என்கிறார். கர்னாடக சங்கீதம் கேட்டாகி விட்டது. மேலைநாட்டு வாத்யங்களும் பிடிக்கவில்லை. என்ன புதிதாக ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி ஏற்பாடு பண்ணுவது?''

''கொஞ்சம் யோசிக்க விடுங்கள். அஹா!, நீங்கள் சொன்னதிலிருந்தே ஒரு அருமையான யோசனை. மேலைநாட்டு வாத்தியம் ஆனால் கர்நாடக சங்கீதம் அதில். இந்த ஐடியா எப்படி ? என்றான் யமன்.

''அசாத்யம் யமா? எங்களில் நீ சுறு சுறுப்பானவன். சீக்கிரமே செயலாற்றுபவன். ஆனால் நீ என்ன மனதில் நினைக்கிறாய் என்று புரியவல்லையே.''

நீங்கள் என்ன சொன்னீர்கள். இதுவரை இல்லாத ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி. மேற்கத்திய முரட்டு வாத்தியம் சுகமாக அதில் பாரத நாட்டு பண்பாட்டு சங்கீதம் அதில்....எப்படி?

''யமா உன் சாமர்த்தியமே சாமர்த்தியம். இதை எப்படி செய்வாய் சீக்கிரம்.? ''.

யமன் அவசரமாக பூமிக்கு சென்றான். யோசித்துக்கொண்டே சென்ற அவன் அவன் கண்ணில் ஏனோ மாண்டலின் ஸ்ரீநிவாஸ் பட்டுவிட்டார். அகாலமாக அவரை அவசரமாக தேவலோகத்திற்கு அழைத்து சென்றுவிட்டான் யமன்.

அங்கே இந்த நவரத்த்ரி வைபவம் வெகு சிறப்பாக தேவலோகம் பொங்கி வழியும். தேவாதி தேவர்களுக்கும் ரிஷிகளுக்கும் முனிவர்களுக்கும் தெய்வங்களுக்கும் இடையில் சங்கீத தேவதையாக மாண்டலின் நிகழ்ச்சி அவர்கள் எல்லோர் மனம் குளிர நடக்கும். ஆனால் நமக்கு ஒரு பெரும் இழப்பை இந்த யமன் சுயநலத்துக்காக எற்படுத்திவிட்டானே. என்ன செய்ய? மீண்டும் ஸ்ரீனிவாசை தாருங்கள் தேவர்களே.

A share from Amritha Vahini Group

tEvalOgattil navarAttiri vizhA.

kolu pommaigaLukku padilAga tEvargaL, tEva patnigaL , rishigaL, munivargaL, tattam arundadigaL, anasUyaigaL, agaligaigaL, lObAmutraigaLODu paDippaDiyAga amarndirukkiRArgaL.

''indirA, inda varusham enna visEsham namadu navarAttiri vaibavattil? ''
piraman kETgiRAn.

'' ovvoru varushamum EdAvadu pudidAga oru nigazhcci uNDE inda varusham ??'' nAradar kELvi ezhuppugiRAr.

''En u#ngaLukku nAn namadu tEvalOgattin migacciRanda kalai~nargaLin aRbuda nigazhccigaLai aLikki
REnE pOdavillaiyA? '' idu indirANi.

'' rambaiyin parada nATyamO, mEnagaiyin kuccippuDiyO, Urvasiyin kuRatti TAnsO ettanai yuga#ngaLAga pArttu pArttu aluttu viTTadE'' . enRAn varuNan.

'' varuNA. pOdum niRuttu. pUmiyil taNNIr tEvai mazhaiyai anuppu enRAl i#ngu kaNNIr viDugiRAy. e#ngaL nigazhccigaL piDikkavillaiyenRAl pOy vazhakkam pOl kumudam paDi'' enRAn vAyu.

'' kATRuvAkkilE enRu kalgi ezhudaRadai, nI kATRukku tEvan enbadAl munbellAm paDippadAl ennai kumudam paDi engiRAyA'' enRu padil sonnAn vAyu.

''navarAtri enbadE onbadunALum viradam irukkattAn enRu kAndi tAttA adO paTTiniyAga marattaDiyilE uTgArndirukkiRAr. a#ngE pOyAvadu ko~njam avar pakkattulE uTgArappOREn'' enRAn akni.

''sari inda pEccellAm vENDAm. ovvoru varushamum pala tEsa kalai~nargaL nigazhcci uNDE inda varushamum pUmiyilirundu vandu i#ngu nammODu irukkum M .K .T. paDa#ngaLai pArkkalAmO?'' enRAr nAradar.

''muzhu rAtri kaN muzhikkavENDum. nammAl muDiyAdu'' enRAL anasuyA. adaRgu pEsAmal rAj kabUr paDa#ngaLaiyAvadu pArttAl viRuviRuppAga irukkAdu.?''

''indibATTulE unakku viruppattai ippaDi teriyappaDuttiriyA ? nI kETTu tAn pOna varusham A .M .rAjA vaiyum kaNDasAlAvaiyum sErndu pADa vaittOm. ettanai tEvargaL adaikkETTu magizhndArgaL. indavarushamum ......?

''niRuttu nAradA. nI kuRumbum kusumbum piDittavan. kaNDasAlA pADuvAr enRAl sOgap pATTukkaL pADuvadil tAnE avar pirabalam. navarAtriyil sOgam romba avasiyamO? enda tEvan adai rasippAn? enRAn nandi tEvan.

un perillum tEvan iruppadAlum nI virumbi paDippadu anda tamizh ezhuttALar tEvan enbadAlum nI jADaiyAga solvadu anda tamizh ezhuttALaraippaTRi, adAvadu avar ezhudiya tuppaRiyum sAmbuvai mINDum nADagamAga pArkkattAn enRu purindu koNDEn. '' ettanai taram pArttirukkiROm. namakku i#ngu nEram adigam. adanAl ulagattin pala kalaigaLai nAm aRivOm. pudidAga edAvadu yOsittu ERbADu seyyu#ngaL innum saTRu nErattil varugiREn. adaRguL tayArAgaTTum.'' enRu kaTTaLaiyiTTuviTTu indiran puRappaTTAn.

''varuNA, nAm niRaiya tamizh nATTu sa#ngIdam, vaDa indiya TAns , pATTu ellAm anubaviccAccE. kETTu viTTOm. pudidu EdAvadu engiRArE talaivar. piyAnO sa#ngIdam pODalAmA? ''enRAn vAyu.

''piyAnO OgE. AnAl namakku ennavO anda mEl nATTu sa#ngIdam rasikka muDiyavillaiyE ''enRu abiprAyam tandAr nAradar.

'' appaDiyenRAl piyAnO vENDAm. vERE.....? yamA. nalla vELai nI i#ngE vandAy . indiran pudidAga inda varusham oru kalai nigazhcci vENDum engiRAr. karnADaga sa#ngIdam kETTAgi viTTadu. mElainATTu vAtya#ngaLum piDikkavillai. enna pudidAga oru nigazhcci ERbADu paNNuvadu?''

''ko~njam yOsikka viDu#ngaL. ahA!, nI#ngaL sonnadilirundE oru arumaiyAna yOsanai. mElainATTu vAttiyam AnAl karnADaga sa#ngIdam adil. inda aiDiyA eppaDi ? enRAn yaman.

''asAtyam yamA? e#ngaLil nI suRu suRuppAnavan. sIkkiramE seyalATRubavan. AnAl nI enna manadil ninaikkiRAy enRu puriyavallaiyE.''

nI#ngaL enna sonnIrgaL. iduvarai illAda oru nigazhcci. mERgattiya muraTTu vAttiyam sugamAga adil pArada nATTu paNbATTu sa#ngIdam adil....eppaDi?

''yamA un sAmarttiyamE sAmarttiyam. idai eppaDi seyvAy sIkkiram.? ''.

yaman avasaramAga pUmikku senRAn. yOsittukkoNDE senRa avan avan kaNNil EnO mANDalin srInivAs paTTuviTTAr. agAlamAga avarai avasaramAga tEvalOgattiRgu azhaittu senRuviTTAn yaman.

a#ngE inda navarattri vaibavam vegu siRappAga tEvalOgam po#ngi vazhiyum. tEvAdi tEvargaLukkum rishigaLukkum munivargaLukkum teyva#ngaLukkum iDaiyil sa#ngIda tEvadaiyAga mANDalin nigazhcci avargaL ellOr manam kuLira naDakkum. AnAl namakku oru perum izhappai inda yaman suyanalattukkAga eRbaDuttiviTTAnE. enna seyya? mINDum srInivAsai tAru#ngaL tEvargaLE.

smala

Post by smala »

Thank you, Punarvasu, for the kind comments - nice to hear from you, wish we could have met when you were in the West coast.

Rsachi

The New York Times obit. on Mandolin Shrinivas

Post by Rsachi »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/ar ... &referrer=

U. Shrinivas, Indian Mandolin Virtuoso, Dies at 45
U. Shrinivas, left, who designed his own mandolin, performing with Zakir Hussain, on tabla, in Ahmedabad, India in 2007.
SAM PANTHAKY / AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE — GETTY IMAGES
By DOUGLAS MARTIN
SEPTEMBER 30, 2014
The mandolin has been used in Renaissance madrigals, compositions by Beethoven and Mozart and countless bluegrass tunes. But it was U. Shrinivas who brought this diminutive, almond-shaped lute to Indian classical music and found audiences around the world.

His death at 45 in Chennai, India, on Sept. 19, drew condolences from the Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, and the English guitarist John McLaughlin, who had engaged Mr. Shrinivas for his group Remember Shakti, which traveled the world playing a fusion of traditional Indian music and jazz.

“Collaborating with him was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I have played with the greatest,” Mr. McLaughlin told The Times of India after Mr. Shrinivas’s death, which Indian news reports attributed to complications of a liver transplant.

Mr. Shrinivas, a child prodigy, could pivot between swift-fingered jazz riffs and bent, sliding, sustained notes reminiscent of a sitar. To produce these effects, which transcended the range of a traditional mandolin, he designed his own variation of the instrument. The traditional mandolin has four pairs of adjacent strings, which make it hard to pick a prolonged note. His instrument had four single strings, and he later added a fifth, to create bass tones deeper than the mandolin is usually capable of producing. His was also electrically amplified.

Mr. Shrinivas (often spelled Srinivas) used his mandolin to create a personalized style within the rigorous strictures of Indian classical music, becoming a stand-alone star in the process. When Ravi Shankar, the sitar master, died in 2012, his torch passed to Mr. Shrinivas, along with stars like the tabla player Zakir Hussain.

Mr. Shrinivas’s wider fame came from collaborating with musicians like Mr. McLaughlin; the guitarist and composer Michael Brook; the violinist Nigel Kennedy; Trey Gunn, a versatile instrumentalist who was part of the progressive rock group King Crimson; and Liu Yuening, virtuoso of the Chinese dulcimer.

Mr. Shrinivas released many albums of his own and played on scores of others. He performed at Lincoln Center in New York and the Kennedy Center in Washington. George Harrison complimented his music, and the composer Michael Nyman recorded with him.

When Mr. Shrinivas performed with Remember Shakti in New York in 2000, Jon Pareles wrote in The New York Times that Mr. Shrinivas’s “solos tended toward curves,” in contrast with Mr. McLaughlin’s “rush of clear, pinpoint notes.”

Mr. Pareles wrote of Mr. Shrinivas, “His phrases worked in slides and swoops, often for vertiginous stretches; then he shifted to picking every bit as fast as Mr. McLaughlin.”

Uppalapu Shrinivas was born on Feb. 28, 1969, in Palakol, in the state of Andhra Pradesh in southeast India. He came from a family of musicians; his father gave classes in playing several instruments, including the mandolin, which was occasionally used in Indian movies, and bought one for his son.

But from an exceptionally early age Mr. Shrinivas wanted to play Carnatic music, the classical style of southern India. His father sent him to a lauded voice instructor, because Carnatic music relies heavily on singing. The boy, then 6 years old, astonished the master by perfectly imitating songs on the mandolin.

His use of a new kind of instrument was not unprecedented in Indian music: the violin was introduced to it in the early 19th century and became as accepted as the sitar. But from the time Uppalapu gave his first public concert, at 9, some questioned his eccentric (not to mention electric) challenge to tradition.

Many more applauded, however, and his celebrity ballooned. In 1983, Mr. Shrinivas was booked to play a short set following Miles Davis at the Berlin Jazz Festival. The crowd demanded an encore, and he played for another hour. The entire show was broadcast on German television the next day.

“His music was elegant, eloquent and mature at 14 years of age,” Mr. McLaughlin told The Times of India. “Normally you have to be 50 to get that soul experience in your music.”

Mr. Shrinivas began to be called Mandolin Shrinivas, and toured on his own through Asia, Australia and North America. A 2003 performance in Chennai with Mr. Brook drew particular attention for its seamless interaction with the mandolin. (Mr. Brook calls his own method of creating continuous, sustained notes the “infinite guitar.”)

In 1997, Mr. McLaughlin recreated his 1970s group Shakti, which he led with Mr. Hussain, and added Mr. Shrinivas to the new ensemble, called Remember Shakti. Other members were Shankar Mahadevan and V. Selvaganesh.

Mr. Shrinivas and his wife, U. Shree, who played the veena, a stringed instrument, later became the focus of a tabloid scandal. They were separated for 15 years before divorcing in 2012. Ms. Shree accused Mr. Shrinivas’s family of wanting “to get him remarried for the greed of dowry,” The Telegraph, an Indian newspaper, reported.

Mr. Shrinivas’s survivors include his son, Sai Krishna; his brother, U. Rajesh, a noted mandolin player who often appeared with him, as well as his parents and a sister.

Mr. Shrinivas studied with some of India’s prominent spiritual gurus, especially Sathya Sai Baba, a Hindu leader with a worldwide following, and said his performances were spiritual in inspiration. In 2011, the website Chennai online described one:

“The detours he takes off the main path are much like those a wandering hermit would, in search of Truth and God. One moment he would be meandering on an introspective journey and in a flash, build up the tempo to a speed that is beyond belief.”

After each musical piece, U. Shrinivas, whose smile seemed perpetual, folded his palms and bowed his head to the audience.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Yes,smala. Wish it had occurred to me to contact you while I was there. Hopefully I will do it on my next visit.

kvjayan

Post by kvjayan »

U. Shrinivas, Indian Mandolin Virtuoso, Dies at 45

"The mandolin has been used in Renaissance madrigals, compositions by Beethoven and Mozart and countless bluegrass tunes. But it was U. Shrinivas who brought this diminutive, almond-shaped lute to Indian classical music and found audiences around the world."

For more, see the link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/arts/ ... d=32122783

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

பார் புகழ் நம் இசைக்கு வான் உலகில் இசை குழு !
ஊர் சுற்றும் நாரதர் தும்புரு மீட்டி நிற்க
மாசில் வீணைக்கு ஓர் வெண் அணி வாணியவள்
தேசு குழல் ஊதும் தேரோட்டி கண்ணன் உடன்
நந்தியின் மிருதங்கதிற்கு நடராசன் ஆடுகிறார்
விந்தை ! அக்குழுவிலும் குறை இரண்டு கண்டனையோ ?
ஆல்அன்ன லால் குடியும் வில் ஏந்தி சென்ற பின்னே
கோல் ஓச்சி இவ்வுலகை ஆண்டது போதுமென்று
மாண்டலினைக் கொண்டு ஆங்கு மற்றதினை நிறை செய்ய
மாண்டாயோ அவசரமாய் மானுடனே ஸ்ரீனிவாசா !

mahavishnu

Re: The New York Times obit. on Mandolin Shrinivas

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks, Sachi.
While I'm very glad that the NYT provided an obituary (albeit late), I wish it had been written by someone who knew Srinivas's music better.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
Yes. Another thing bugged me too. There was an unnecessary mention of his troubled marraige, quoting some puzzling accusations. As if the angst Shrinivas went through all those years were nothing...:(

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Arasi,
It is IN KEEPING with the proclivity in this forum as well as print media on the part of some to write WRONG, INACCURATE, NON-VERIFIED THINGS ABOUT ANYONE somewhat famous personalities.
After all most of the persons here are well educated&smart.The latest example is in the case of Mandolin U Srinivas almost a saint in my opinion. All sorts of ignoramouses have written INADEQUATE THINGS about him & his music.
I wonder how many knew that he strictly was in prayer (Anjaneya Bhaktha)& practice at least till lunch time.........I wish I had his GENUINE GOOD NATURE and a millionth of his talent.......VKV :-BD

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

More seriously, the author has not seen or heard the "mandolin" played by Shrinivas. If he did, he would know that Shrinivas played an off the shelf solid body electric mandolin, the only modification being the removal of some strings and retuning them for CM. It bears little connection to "almond-shaped" instrument other than the name. People write detailed analytical essays just second guessing based on the name ! What's surprising is that it happens even at the level of NYT.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

The least Music Academy can do is to award him Sangeetha Kalanidhi albeit posthumously. Maybe two SKs this year, TVG and Mandolin...
(I don't think he was awarded, pl correct me if I'm wrong).

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

You may believe that Mandolin Srinivas is watching from heaven,but these are not substantiated.Awarding a person after death may please his followers,but serves no purpose.It would be better to institute a prize for musician below 40 years in his name.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Uday,
NYT LIKE THE HINDU has deteriorated from its lofty levels & both will be part of the heap of history....I am depending on Stewart& Colbert for my news...RESULT of free enterprise & the top one percent?......VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I endorse VKV's opinion.Mandolin was a humble person--there was a concert in NY almost 20 years back where Palghat Raghu accompanied him on the mridangam-I had been "forwarned" that I would have to speak. mandolin pulls me aside when I was taking down notes on the bios of the artistes, Mandolin whispers into my ears that Palghat raghu should be mentioned first because of his stature and reminded me not to forget one of the latest awards that Palghat Raghu had gotten(I do not remember the award). I have observed that this was no mere "show-boating".For the lalgudi Book release function he volunteered to play because of his regard for Lalgudi Sir.

He was very truly God-fearing and devoted.He was very respectful of fellow artistes although he had eclipsed several of them with his International forays.It is unfortunate that these days journalists resort to innuendos and speculations--totally unsubstantiated-- just to show-off their "balanced" reporting!!!

At the height of his marital discords , he was as graceful as ever--not wanting to use his media-savvy to bolster his case.

As VKV aptly put it I wish I had his equanimity and civility let alone his prodigious talent!!!

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

hnbhagavan wrote:Awarding a person after death may please his followers,but serves no purpose.It would be better to institute a prize for musician below 40 years in his name.
I'm not too sure if awarding SK to mandolin will serve no purpose. Will it just please his followers, that's all? Future generations who are not able to relate to mandolin srinivas will know him through such awards too. Imagine in 2050 or 2099, will anyone remember mandolin srinivas? With SK or such high level awards, kids of those times will get to know him. So, it is a reckless statement to say it will serve no purpose. Only talking, giving condolence msgs, writing poems etc., will serve no purpose.

Instituting a prize for musicians in his name... It is too ordinary. Lots of rasikas do it. A musician of mandolin's stature - something really solid should be done here.

arasi

Post by arasi »

At a national level, perhaps?

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

arasi wrote:At a national level, perhaps?
Yeah, right. National level sounds fine. International will also be fine. SK can be a starting point.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

ramamantra wrote: Future generations who are not able to relate to mandolin srinivas will know him through such awards too. Imagine in 2050 or 2099, will anyone remember mandolin srinivas? With SK or such high level awards, kids of those times will get to know him. So, it is a reckless statement to say it will serve no purpose. Only talking, giving condolence msgs, writing poems etc., will serve no purpose.

Instituting a prize for musicians in his name... It is too ordinary. Lots of rasikas do it. A musician of mandolin's stature - something really solid should be done here.
Seriously, and that "something really solid" is awarding him a Sangitha Kalanidhi? It is a strange notion that he and his music will not be remembered, but the award of Sangitha Kalanidhi to him will be, that too by future generations who are "not able to relate" to him!!!

Instituting an award in his honor - that would encourage musicans and keep the music alive is not purposeful?

Talking and writing poems, giving condolence messages serve a purpose for those who grieve.. Such unwise words of yours there!

bombal

Post by bombal »

I am in favour of a medical insurance policy for our artists, wherein they should be able to access the best medical facilities in India. I know it was discussed else where and would greatly appreciate if that is revived.

we will be at a great loss, if we loose our nakshatrams one by one..

:namaste:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I have been thinking of Sri TVG as being the person who brought us Mandolin Srinivasan. I remember that he was said to have "discovered" him and brought him to Madras. I was not certain if I remembered it correctly. I met someone last week who said he was a student of TVG's and I enquired with him, and he described how Sri TVG had travelled to Srinivas's home town and heard him play. He immediately brought him to Chennai, where he played his first concert at the Vinayaka Temple in Besant Nagar. I am not certain of any of this as that person's dates seemed wrong to me, but I am just putting it out there - does anyone remember?

Very soon after this Shankaran Namboothiri, yet another child prodigy, came on the scene, also introduced by Sri TVG.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Hope Rajesh is given time to match his immaculate brother Shrinivas. Write up that came on Dec04th,2014 Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 658472.ece