SANDEEP NARAYANAN VOCAL CONCERT

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
S.NAGESWARAN

SANDEEP NARAYANAN VOCAL CONCERT

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,
A Vocal concert is arranged at my home on 26.07.2015. The details are given below.
Sandeep Narayanan - Vocal.
Ananthakrishnan. B.- Violin.
Arjun Ganesh - Mrudangam.
Venue; At my home; " Kandankutil",
NO.21, SRINIVASA PILLAI STREET,
WEST MAMBALAM,
CHENNAI 600 033.
On 26th July, [Sunday],2015, From 4.00 PM to 7.00 PM.

All Rasikas are requested attend the concert and enjoy.
Confirm the participation.

S.NAGESWARAN.

rajeshnat

Re: SANDEEP NARAYANAN VOCAL CONCERT

Post by rajeshnat »

That is wonderful nageswaran sir, looks you are carrying out the "joy of holding a concert "after a long time in your new house .

Best wishes to sandeep-Ananthakrishnan-ArjunGanesh- they have given lot of concerts together and this should be wonderful. Looking forward for the report.

sandeep (deepsand),
There is surely going to be a speech break by nageswaran sir . Post speech go for a RTP and sing for an absolute 3 hours.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nageswaran-sir: Excellent! I will request my father to attend.
Best wishes for the event!

I hope you will consider recording the event (audio/video), with the artiste's permission of course.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nageswaran,
Good to hear you are hosting another concert at home!

Deepsand is one of us here, and I'm sure would like to share at least parts of his concert at a fellow rasikA's home :) Fellow artistes too...?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Nageswaran, and Sandeep et al, best wishes for a wonderful concert!
I second Ramesh's request for a recording.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. Nageswaran,
I wish your concert all success and a full house - you have great interest and organisational skills. The ensemble is very good.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Nageswaran Sir, Thanks for arranging this wonderful concert of promising artistes. Last year Dec, Sandeep gave an excellent concert in Academy. The team is a good choice. I will attend.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

The bio data of Sri Sandeep Narayan is given below.

Sandeep Narayan is one of the most sought after young artists of Carnatic (South Indian classical) music to day. He has undergone advanced training from the highly acclaimed vocalist, Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan, and had his initial training in the United States from his mother, Smt. Shubha Narayan.
§ In 1996, Sandeep relocated to Chennai and began learning from one of India’s most revered musicologists, Calcutta Sri K.S. Krishnamurthy, and has continued training under
Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan since 1999.
§ As noted by an eminent senior musician, Sandeep has broken boundaries by being the first US born and raised musician to move to India to take up music as a full-time career, a trend that is now being followed by many other young aspiring musicians.
§ In Spring 2012, Sandeep became the first musician born and raised in the US to return to North America on a professional concert tour as a visiting artist from Chennai, and subsequently completed his second North American tour in Fall of 2014.
§Sandeep has performed with many leading artists such as Sangitha Kalanidhi Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman and Grammy Award winning ghatam artist, Padma Bhushan Sri T.H. 'Vikku' Vinayakram.
§ Having performed extensively all over the world including concert tours of Germany, the United States, Canada, and England, Sandeep hopes to continue serving as a cultural link between Carnatic music and audiences worldwide.
§ Sandeep has a Bachelor's Degree in Law & Society from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Notable Awards & Achievements
§ Best Concert Award, The Music Academy Madras – December 2014
§ Youth Excellence Award, Sringeri Vidya Bharathi Foundation – November 2014
§ Best Concert Award, The Music Academy Madras – December 2013
§ Dr. Chitra S. Narayanaswamy Centenary Trust Award, Brahma Gana Sabha – December 2013
§ 'Yuva Kala Bharathi', Bharat Kalachar – December 2013
§ Best Vocalist Award, The Music Academy Madras – December 2012
§ Best Concert Award, The Music Academy Madras – December 2011
§ Global Indian Music Academy (GIMA) Award nomination for debut album, Paramashiva – September 2011
§ Best Concert Award, The Music Academy Madras – December 2010
§ ‘A’ Grade, All India Radio, Chennai – July 2010
Teaching Experience
§ Guest lectured at Carnegie Mellon University, UC Santa Barbara, Cal-State Sacramento, and for the International
Baccalaureate Programme.
§Conducts workshops around the world, and is a visiting teacher of advanced music in the Sampradaya School of Music, Los Angeles, California.

S.NAGESWARAN.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Hope Sandeep has participated in Tyagaraja Aaraadhana at Tiruvaiyaru also.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Someone commented about Sanjay also about not participating in Thyagaraja Aradhana. While, T was certainly the greatest (some may argue) vaggeyakkara, two things strike my mind. Not attending the aradhana is not disrespect or disqualification. They sing his kritis and well, I would think. That is the greatest tribute one can pay. A man who lives by Gandhi's ideas of simplicity and community service is a greater Gandhian than the one who may write a book on Gandhi. Second, there are other meritorious vaggeyakkaras for whom no aradhana is held, or no one bothers who attends.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Really impressive that SN has won best vocalist/concert award so many years in a row!

varsha

Post by varsha »

Sir
Will attend with Son.Surely

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

BIO DATA OF SRI B.ANANTHAKRISHNAN, VIOLINIST.
B. Anantha Krishnan
(Violinist)
B. Anantha Krishnan is blessed to hail from a reputed musician family. He is the
grandson of renowned Violin Vidhwan, the Late V.K. Venkata Ramanujam Iyengar (Exprofessor
– Performing Arts Banaras Hindu University), and son of equally reputed violinist Dr.
V. Balaji, Head of the Department, Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University
(Varanasi). Anantha Krishnan continues his training today under the guidance of the well known
Violin Vidhwan, Sri S. Varadarajan.
He has had the honor of accompanying almost every living legend in the field, and
continues to share the stage with all senior artists today. Anantha Krishnan has received
great appreciation from reputed critics in major newspapers and magazine publications
across India and abroad.
Performance Experience:
v Delhi Doordarshan, 1993 – Performed alongside his grandfather the late Vidwan V.K.
Venkata Ramanujam at the young age of seven.
v Has performed in every major sabha all over India, including The Music Academy Madras,
Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Narada Gana Sabha, Bharat Kalachar, and Shanmukhananda
Sabha (Mumbai), just to name a few.
v Performed concert tours in several countries around the world including Germany,
Belgium, USA, Singapore, Dubai, Doha, South Africa, and Australia.
Awards & Achievements:
v At the age of seven, Anantha Krishnan won the title Mazhalai Medaai in a national
competition conducted by the famous Tamil weekly magazine, “Anandha Vikatan” and
was awarded a gold medal and citation of Rs.15,000.
v Holds a “B-High” grade from All India Radio, Chennai.
v Some of Anantha Krishnan’s other accolades include:
o 2007 – 2008: Villisai Virpanar Award - Kumbakonam Vani Villas Sabha
o 2008 – 2009: Yuva Kala Bharathi - Bharath Kalachar, Chennai
o 2009 – 2010: Youth Excellence Award - Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Trust,
Chennai
o 2010 – 2011: Best Concert Award - The Music Academy Madras
o 2011 – 2012: Best Sub-Senior Violinist Award - The Music Academy Madras
o 2013 – 2014: Best Sub-Senior Violinist Award - The Music Academy Madras

S.NAGESWARAN.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just googled to find mrudangam artist biodata.

---------------------
S.J. Arjun Ganesh
---------------------

Born in Kumbakonam, a city well known for its rich musical tradition, Arjun Ganesh started learning mridangam at the age of five from notable mridangam Vidwan Poongulam Sri. R. Sabesa Iyer, who developed the Thiruvarur Bani (Method).

Subsequently, he migrated to Chennai and became a full-time mrudangam artiste. He continued to learn the nuances of the instrument from Vidwan Poongulam Sri. S. Subramanian, son and senior disciple of Arjun’s first guru, Vidwan Sri. R. Sabesa Iyer.

Awards & Titles
------------------
o “Sri Palghat Mani Iyer Award” - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 2013
o “Best Mridangam Artiste Award” - The Music Academy Madras, December 2012
o “Madura Murali Puraskar” - Conferred by Dr. Sri. M. Balamuralikrishna on his birthday, 2012
o “Best Concert Award” - The Music Academy Madras, December 2011

o “Best Mridangam Artiste Award” - The Music Academy Madras, December 2010
o “Vani Layagnana Sudaroli” - Vani Vilasa Sabha, Kumbakonam, 2008
o “Best Mridangam Artiste” - Tamil Nadu Iyal Isai Nataka Mandram, Govt. of Tamil Nadu, 2006
o First Prize, ‘Spirit of Youth’ Concert Series - The Music Academy Madras, 2006

o Senior scholarship recipient - Ministry of Tourism and Culture Department, (Govt. of India, New Delhi), February 2002 to January 2004
o “Best Percussion Artiste” - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 2002

o First Prize in State level and National Level Competitions organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra, National Youth Festival (Govt. of India), 1997
o “Best Artiste” Gold Medal Award - Sri Pushpam College, Poondi, Thanjavur District, 1997

aravindan mudaliar

Post by aravindan mudaliar »

Hi Sir , thanks for the invitation , i will attend the concert , for SANDEEP i can travel any where any place.

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

Dear Sir, as I am in Chennai I would like to attend the concert. Thank you very much for the invitation.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Google maps unable to locate in W.Mambalam. Showing a location in Egmore instead.

varsha

Post by varsha »

To the cycling enthusiast in sureshvv
Climb up the doreswamy subway from the horrible dazzling gaudy silk route side and turn first left .
Move forward and keep straight until you spot a leather goods shop on the right.
That is the junction where a road from mambalm station creeps from the left .
Take a right there and pass the Satyanarayana temple. Take a bow if you can on my behalf .
On a similar day decades ago the priest there, saw more money dropping into the hundi than what I collected for a concert in my drop box at the same venue .Yes folks dropped coins into my drop box :)
And look for a nice set of flats on the right .
Thirty three years ago , Nageswaran welcomed me , a nobody , with open arms to listen to and borrow music.
A fast vanishing breed of gentlemen who could fit into a Pickwick club , or on a Jeromy boat ride or an hitech audiophile club with equal ease .
I wont be missing it.

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

I am extremely sorry I cannot make it

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Thank you varsha for the directions (Tried yours and rajesh's phones before I posted my SOS but they were both turned off). Thank you Nageswaran Sir for the phone call and precise directions. Will be there today.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Hope Aravinda Mudaliyar will write a review.

Sivaramakrishnan

Nageswaran Sir,
I reached Chennai this morning and will be attending the programme.
CRama might have already informed you.
Thanks.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

It is 8:00 p.m. IST now and the concert may be going on or should have just ended. There must have been many lucky souls that made it to கந்தன் குடில் and enjoyed the concert. Looking forward to a review soon.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Absolutely top notch concert for 3 hrs 45 mts.
One of the best I have attended in years .
When an artist sings from the heart and for him(her)self first , the possibilities are exhilarating.For one who had thought of him as one of the disciples of Sanjay , he proved that he is breaking away from a pack into the next league .
Memorable concert .

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Phenomenal energy that is the trademark of this artiste. Till the very end, he was packing sangatis and pushing his creative instincts.

RTP in Durga included a foray into a tarana session that was new for me. Ragamalika slokam at the end was in Bhairavi, Sankarabharanam, Kambodhi, Todi, Kalyani and Sindhu Bhairavi. All the heavy ragas were thoroughly covered albeit briefly to wonderful effect.

So many fresh ideas and invigorating presentation.

B.Ananthakrishnan provided solid support and picked up the gauntlet every time it was thrown. Arjun Ganesh's mrdangam sounded wonderful, especially the left side which was like rolling thunder - sometime distant and sometimes immediate. Amazing modulation for an intimate setting.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nageswaran,
Felicitations. A mega hours concert at your place! Rajesh is terribly disappointed to have missed this one--being stationed in a place at the moment which denies him the chance to listen to live concerts...

Sandeep,
Way to go! I missed listening to you last season (for the first time) because of my limited time in Chennai.

While waiting to hear at least a few songs from the kandan kuDil concert, I went to your website which says it's being worked on. I could hear the streaming though. Some impressive numbers there :) That hymn on HanumAn was new to me. Also the chandra jyOthi tillAnA (Lalgudi?).Your bhArathi pADalgaL and tirisira giriyAr bring your guru to mind. And the mellisaip pATTu eLangAthu vIsudE!

Please upload a few from yesterday's concert. Thanks. If I am in Chennai for the season, I'll be there at your concert(s) too :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

arasi wrote: Also the chandra jyOthi tillAnA (Lalgudi?).
Arasi, I believe the tillAnA is by TNS (it had the words SankaradAsan in it, presumably referring to CS Sankarasivam)
[Source - my parents :)]

I heard the concert was quite extraordinary. I was told that there was also a Walahjapet Venkatramana Bhagavatar composition in mOhanam (rAdhA ramaNA). I imagine that Sandeep will be singing this at the Walajahpet festival where is slated to perform later this week!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Judging from the comments here, Music Academy has been professional in picking him the best singer in consecutive years and giving him evening slot this year, going by Harimau-vine.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv wrote:Phenomenal energy that is the trademark of this artiste. Till the very end, he was packing sangatis and pushing his creative instincts.

RTP in Durga included a foray into a tarana session that was new for me.
There has been always request by Nageswaran sir to have durga . Durga is one of his favourite raga too. I am guessing nageswaran sir would have said sandeep I like durga for which sandeep must have obliged I will sing a pallavi in durga itself.

Mods,
Move this to kutcheri reviews topic.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
Shame on me, I didn't notice the mudra :(

Were your parents there at the concert? I would think so!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Arasi: Yes, my parents were there :)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha and Suresh
I envy you! I really missed a great concert i think!
Hats off to Nageswaran. He is one-of-a-kind gentleman.

Sivaramakrishnan

mahavishnu wrote:I heard the concert was quite extraordinary. I was told that there was also a Walahjapet Venkatramana Bhagavatar composition in mOhanam (rAdhA ramaNA). I imagine that Sandeep will be singing this at the Walajahpet festival where is slated to perform later this week!
Radhe -Sandeep's wife- was also at the concert and that was quite interesting but appropriate for 'Radheramana' to render 'Radharamana'!

The kriti is also very rare and in the charana passage, even before the composer's mudra appears, there is a word Ramadasa which left me guessing it was a Sivan composition. Then came 'Ramachandrapura varada Venkataramana' establishing the author. Sandeep did announce the name of composer later upon a request from Sri. Nageswaran .

A good evening it was!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sivaramakrishnan,
I was wondering if she was there. So, it was kandan kuDilinilE rAdhE rAdhE!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

There are definite shades of TNS in Sandeep's singing of late. Both in content (Tillanas of TNS) and in style (the long flowing sancharas in alapana).

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Had the good fortune to meet CRama in person. Also Sri TVG of sangeethapriya fame was there.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,
The concert of Sri Sandeep Narayan's vocal concert with Sri B.Anathakrishnan on the violin
and Sri Arjun Ganesh on the Mrudangam was a high octane,electrifying concert.
All elements of an excellent concert which the Rasikas expect were there. The meditative and
bhava filled vilambakala krithi in Dwajanthi ragam,Kharaharapriya composition, a very imaginative
ragam,thanam and pallavi in the ragam Durga [special request from the u/s] with lot of melody and atheetha kannaku vazhakku in rhytham exercises, and a slokam RMK with a brief heavy ragams sankarabharanam, thodi, kalyani etc
were the highlights of the concert.The accompaniment of Sri Ananthakrishnan on the violin responded well
to the fores of the vocalist. Special mention should be given to the mrudangam player Sri Arjun Ganesh
for the excellent melodic nadam of the mrudangam with lot of the valantharai and right hand side playing of the mrudangam.
One of the Rasika, Sri T.V.Gopalakrishnan of the Sanggethapriya.com, impressed by the excellent concert suggested a standing ovation for the excellent concert.
I can dare say that the rasikas who have not attended in person were unfortunate.

The drop box links of the photos taken in the concert are given below.
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y77lutiaw484k ... 7.JPG?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8cmeef7rd8io ... 8.JPG?dl=0
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gci2o9ykkr2vx ... 9.JPG?dl=0
4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jfxuf6rdrvd9 ... 0.JPG?dl=0
5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/obtj42rurof60 ... 1.JPG?dl=0
6. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y29ewsquhzpgy ... 2.JPG?dl=0
7. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqr78yn9zxa6 ... 4.JPG?dl=0
8. https://www.dropbox.com/s/um6g2m1t96g0k ... 7.JPG?dl=0

The Audio upload will be done in due course.

S.NAGESWARAN.

T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN

Post by T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN »

I have uploaded it to my folder at Sangeethapriya. Those who had missed this concert, can still download it to enjoy from the below link:

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... p_Narayan/

I sincerely convey my thanks for Sri Nageswaran for personally inviting me over the phone for this wonderful concert.
Regards,
TVG, Sangeethapriya.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you so much for the upload, TVGSP, and this is a chance to thank you directly for your prolific activity on Sangeethapriya.

Isn't Sandeep Narayanan truly a credit to himself and his guru! There were moments where I really felt I was listening to Sanjay, especially the neraval and swaras @ Manasuna Dalachi and then in several other spots, but the Dwijavanti alapana was amazing, in the way it came from a well deep within and to me it felt it had to be purely Sandeep - and he achieved such deep tenderness, i choked up and felt my eyes sting. :) and again just now with the neraval in Baghesri. I'm still listening. Thank you again! Thanks also to Deepsands02.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I am glad to hear that the concert went off well. Sandeep is a very good artist and his biodata says it all. The violinist's is no less awesome. Could someone please upload the concert for those living far away. Sri Nageswaran seems like the old Sangeetha Poshakas, who appreciated music and made it available to the masses. Thanks to him, many locals can hear good music.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I see you have the concert for us. Thanks.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki wrote: but the Dwijavanti alapana was amazing, i
Agree. It was different and subtle and slightly rare. Sankark may not have liked it for the same reasons but I thought it fit the bill perfectly.

Sandeep has a strong powerful voice and like his guru he is not shy about pushing it to its limits - has great impact in a live intimate concert.