108 Legends

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Here is a track from one of the lesser known legends in the Group of 108
Referring to the CARNATICA tribute series.

Mayavaram Rajam
Simply breathtaking stuff
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/j6pp

More Information on this artist -as well as this krithi-is Most welcome.

Will try and pick out some more beauties..

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

you liked the jothiswaroopini ??

meena

Post by meena »

very much kji, thanku. He has touches of sree somu.

Lji
who is the composer?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

you were dead right
early somu
In fact i am just listening to a majestic shanmukhapriya of mayavaram rajam and see how correct you are
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/dyzd
reminds me of that that famous concert where somu and lagudi play cat and mouse...
Divine stuff..
(Oh !Lord , how many more such great Stars are out there - about whom we know so little !)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Incredible Kji. Thanks. I wonder how come his name is not one that is spoken about. And a great quality recording too.

In addition to early Somu, he also has a V.V.Sadagopan vibe to his singing.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Cool-ji, thank you, thank you. Now don't be surprised if you find people (incl myself) knocking on your door. ;)

Perhaps you can play Santa Claus and bring us sacks-full of more goodies during this festive season!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Another Legend -Sethalpatti Balasubramaniam

a nice video clipping
http://www.rogepost.com/n/6897654707

and a fine shanmukhapriya alapana
http://www.rogepost.com/n/9733230475

meena

Post by meena »

Balu mama:
Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

i am told Mayavaram Rajam and Manakkal Rangarajan were the mofussal stars in those days. They were the busiest performers in the thanjavur district. Though, madras dint give them enuf weightage, worthy of their music.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

rbharath

True.

Mayavaram Rajam & Manakkal Rangarajan were mofussal stars in and around Thanjavur, Pudukkottai, Trichy areas. Also the other stars were Salem Desikan, Piranmalai S.Vaidyanathan, Sattur Subramaniam, Taayumanavan, Mylaatoor Ramachandran(Mrudangam).

During Pudukkottai Narasimha Jayanthi, rasikas were enjoying an excellent 10 days music festival in April/May every year (humble homage to Poojyasri Gopala Krishna Bhagavatar). All above great artists' concerts used to be liked by one and all. They had their own forts, dedicated to Music. I have heard them many times. They have been real unsung heros of yesteryears. Of them, only Salem Desikan could get some chances in Madras.

All stars are not born to shine.

- kf -

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

Further on Pudukkottai Narasimha Jayanati, which had been as good as (or even better) the Music Season at Chennai. Poojyasri Gopalakrishna Bhagavatar used to invite all great artists of the era, includng MSS. I remember that KVN was introduced in that area for the first time, thru Palghat Mani Iyer.

Daily the concerts used to start around 6 pm and was going till late night beyond 1/2 am. While the concerts had a different venue, there used to be a gathering of Bhajan artists, performing DivyanAmam etc. at one more venue (kalyana mantapam) throughout the night. Even during the bhajans at night, the above artists used to go for extempore pallavis. The dhyAnam singing had varieties of artists. Around 120 people were participating in DivyAnAmam. There was real feast. My eyes are now with tears. The PudukkottaivAsis were fortunate to have food for ears(years also) as well as they were served meals/coffee thruout 10 days. Whole city was benefitted.

At least I am blessed to have enjoyed that time. Just thought of sharing my feeling.

-kf-

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Yes Karnaticfan,

I have heard much about Pudukkottai Narasimha Janyanti. Now, Poojya Gopalakrishna Bhagavatar's grandson is not carrying on with the same spirit of the period you are referring to. At least His Son, Sanjeeva Bhagavatar used to carry on with the task to a great extent.

Also He had invited many artists and was sincerely patronizing them.

Many yesteryear unsung heros were there, like you have pointed out. I could also get the opportunities to listen to them.

Great stuff.

sindhu

Post by sindhu »

Some unknown great artists are also getting appreciated here. Kudos to RASIKA.ORG.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Sethalpatti Balasubramaniam - what a legend. I ona daily basis hear his virutham "Perayiram paravi vanor" followed by Sivan's Kana Kan Kodi Vendum in Kambodhi. Divine stuff. And his singing of Kapali is beautiful. The feminine beauty of Mohanam is mesimerising.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

next legend - Puducode Krishnamurthy

http://www.rogepost.com/n/3131079296

for many years i had identified this track wrongly as alathoor srinivas iyer.
only recently somebody from the malayalam country identified it as puducode krishnamurthy.

a hypnotising sathatham- the second half sends me into a trance , always.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

It is indeed Pudukode Krishnamoorthy, thanks a lot coolkarni sir

meena

Post by meena »

if one is interested in finding info, we have a thread dedicated to sree Puducode Krishnamurthy.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Now I have two friends from malayalam country who have identified it correctly..Right ?
:D

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Santa-coolji is in action again!

Here's 'romba romba nanri' from another Pudukkode fan (and a relative to boot!). Your Malayalam country friends' number is fast increasing...!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Coolkarni,
I understand how good it feels to know who really sang a song.

I once mixed all the TVS and TSK tracks and not knowing who sang which(i am a novice) started listening anyways with the thought "what's in a name?" just enjoy.. But then I hear a beautiful Sahana-then I really want to know who sang it.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/4788529486

two legends in this track
Mali and Palghat Mani Iyer.

Rare Rare moments.......

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

lovely track!! thanks so much...

meena

Post by meena »

Flute mali:
Deleted

PMI:
Deleted

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

lovely track!! thanks so much...
kaapi
That concert was located in a dusty brown spool !

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/4914399165

has a soothing neraval by somu ,for upacharamu..in the company of msg-trichy sankaran

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

coolji and meena
I am taking your links and posting in madurai sOmu. Let us not have fancy titles like 108 legends , atleast for sure SOmu It is a pain to search , new entrants will kill you with their recycling request.To discuss more about shri SOmu go to the link below.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=29366#p29366

All,
I am not trying to over pedantic here, Try your best to have an atomic topic for a vidwan and continue to post in the same.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 14 Dec 2006, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Rajesh
I am not trying to over pedantic here
You are indeed.. :rolleyes:

The title may look fancy to you , but you could have atleast asked me what I was trying to do with the thread before you jumped the gun ....
Anyway , a list is a list.
I was just trying to explore the music of artists who are not widely known and then to keep up the momentum , I picked on rare unconventional tracks of the well known artists ...
So Chembai will be there .So will MDR, GNB and others .You can look forward to something interesting from them too...

The somu track I picked because of a rare lack of exuberance , which is his customary style and Sankarans matching response.

The mali-pmi track I picked because it showcases a very famous relationship - No wonder PMI is quoted as having said that no one else gave so much work to his fingers as Mali did.

and both these are exquisitely recorded too.

So please let this thread alone .

No one is making a statement here , least of all me.
It is a pain to search , new entrants will kill you ...

Try your best to have an atomic topic for a vidwan and continue to post in the same
These statements are just beyond my comprehension. :cool:

BTW it should be Maruda malai .... and not madurai mani... in your post in the somu thread.

When we get to the end , we will fall short of the 108 by 15- 20 artists and that is when we will feel it is a real pity.

So try and pick up those rare bits - I hope others too will be on the job.
and
just sit back and relax.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cool Ji
I didn't want to unnecessarily put you in a spot ,if I gave you the impression in my previous post, it is misunderstanding.
coolkarni wrote:These statements are just beyond my comprehension.
Just a quick suggestion, play this role cool ji,

Think you you have just joined this site now and you would wan't to know more about sOmu .You can hit the search link ,select vidwan and vidushis ,type somu ,u get that link Somu.When you click the link madurai sOmu , you get all the lovely posts with the most important post of Meena exposing the url of home page and upachAramu of yours,which I have duplicated all cohesively tied.

Hope it makes sense??? Remember coolji , I did not raise this objection for a lesser known vidwan like shri sethalapathi.

I corrected the lyrics of maruda malai, everytime I spell maruda malai in the last 20 years ,i get it is madura malai . Now with the internet forums whenever I get the madura immediately mani comes .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 Dec 2006, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Rajesh.
No offense taken.
You like Role plays , dont you.
Here is one for you.
I played that part long long ago and wrote about it in a thread on Somu in this forum , before the crash.You can try it out this time around.

Imagine you are asked to visit Somus home -on behalf of a longtime rasika - and to talk to his widow, and other family members.
Imagine that you collect another 10 rasikas in Chennai , pack them in a car like sardines and visit them.
Imagine that you go to their home -a modest flat in ICF Colony-
and do what you think is appropriate- play vintage concerts of him in his Home after the pleasantries...

And Imagine

THAT THE WIDOW WILL HOLD BOTH YOUR HANDS IN A FIRM CLASP AND WAIL ....
And I had thought that the world had forgotten my husband !!!!

Year after year , I was alone in listening to the occasional AIR Broadcasts .My Home which was like a Chatram , with Organisers , fans walking in and out throughout the day -became silent all of a sudden after his death..No one , not even one soul ever entered my home to enquire .
And here you are , young man from a different place , coming with a group of old rasikas on the advice of a man living far far away ... May God Bless you .All of you .And these Cds that you gift me.Thank you.Thank you for giving me back a part of my Somu .
Sethalpatti a Lesser known Vidwan than Somu ?
It is all a question of Time.
Time is such a cruel player . One can never complain of too many threads.All we can hope is that the newcomer will latch on to it somewhere.
But I agree with your duplicating the info on the main thread.
Thanks for that.
I have put up two more short outstanding tracks in the other thread .wish I could make tracks sticky too , here.

meena

Post by meena »

rajesh

before u post. pl. take the time to read the full thread:
coolkarni wrote:Here is a track from one of the lesser known legends in the Group of 108
Referring to the CARNATICA tribute series.
Let us not have fancy titles like 108 legends , atleast for sure SOmu
And why the "fancy title" pl. go through this page:
http://rasika.carnatica.net/viewtopic.php?t=61
new entrants will kill you with their recycling request.
We want ALL our mem. to help out with recycling requests. :)

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Let me play the devil's advocate here...

My reading of Rajesh's posts didn't give me the impression he was trying to 'go after' Coolkarni. The key point he was making seems to be that a newcomer who looks for Somu stuff a few weeks from now may look at just the Somu thread and miss out on the uploads in this thread. And that would be a shame.

On the other hand, I feel Rajesh's post could have been better worded, for sure! But it seems to be his style!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

And can we make this thread a sticky one?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/5431945707

Thurayoor Rajagopala Sarma..
didn't give me the impression he was trying to 'go after' Coolkarni.
Jayaram.That was Rajeshs own perception , Not mine.
My position- I have made clear .
Leave it to the thread originator to give it a direction .

meena

Post by meena »

Pic of sree Turaiyur M. Rajagopala Sarma and to listen to a 78rmp clip:

Deleted

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kji,
Thanks for that - another gem - what clear dicition and a voice dripping honey...thanks..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ramanthapuram CS Murughabhoopathy setting up the mood for this brilliant Dharee Nee by GNB in the Company of T Chowdiah

http://www.rogepost.com/n/4385679258
http://www.rogepost.com/n/3602013512

meena

Post by meena »

Sree Ramanathapuram C. S. Murugabhoopathy :

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/9259040241

a beautiful abhogi...

27. Karukurichi P. Arunachalam
with
104. Valangiman Shanmukhasundaram Pillai

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Sri Murugabhoopathy has played record number of concerts for Sri Somu and my father. There were three different styles those days. Mani Iyer Style,Palani Style and Murugabhoopathy style. Murugabhoopathy was one of the great vidwans who would not compromise on principles at any time.

meena

Post by meena »

Karukurichi.P.Arunachalam:

Deleted

meena

Post by meena »

Sriramji
Sri Murugabhoopathy has played record number of concerts for Sri Somu and my father.
If u have any pic. pl. kindly share it with us. thanku

raju54

Post by raju54 »

I am not sure where scottrobinson.com got the info from? However, here is what I have- Ramanathapuram Sri C.S.Murugabhoopathy was born in Ramanathapuram on 15 February 1914.His father was Chitsabai Servai, a disciple of the laya maestro Pudukottai Manpoondia Pillai. Sri CSM passed away on 21 March 1998 at the age of 84. For more info
please see Sruti issue May 1998, obituary article written by Sri K.S.Kalidas.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Raju, I think what you say is right.

meena

Post by meena »

45. Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai
Deleted

prashant

Post by prashant »

The thurayUr clip is just a gem. What a lovely voice responding to his every command! Coolkarniji - could we hear more of his music?
Last edited by prashant on 05 Jan 2007, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Prashanth
i will move to the next legend ONLY after you say enough of thurayoor !!

http://rapidshare.com/files/10588422/Na ... a.mp3.html

BTW - Randor Guy referred to an interesting anecdote -while introducing the movie Chinthamani , in one of those special vintage-movie sessions , here in chennai.

MKT has a tiff with the producers of the movie and refuses to sing playback , after the movie was shot.
The producer then turned to Thurayoor , and it is he who has sung all the songs in that movie.
I had never realised until I heard of this anecdote.

This kedaragowla is so remniscent of MKT's tyle.

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

There are 3 renditons of Thuyaroor hosted at http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~asokan/CARNATIC/ S.No.37

prashant

Post by prashant »

The kEdaragauLa is completely hypnotising. I must have listened to this 10 times already. Now on to download the ones at sangeethapriya. I'm ready for more doses of Thurayoor, Coolkarniji :-)