Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017

Concerts and other events related to CM.
sweetsong

Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017

Post by sweetsong »

January 4 - Prince Rama Varma
January 5 - Amrutha Venkatesh
January 6 - Aditi Prahalad
January 7 - O.S.Arun
January 8
5:30 pm - S.Mahadevan - Veena
7:10 pm - Surabhi Pusthakam - Vocal
January 9 - Brindha Manickavasakan
January 10 - Thamarakad Govindan Namboothiri
January 11 - Amith Nadig - Flute
January 12 - Kashyap Mahesh
January 13 - Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Frequently Asked Questions
http://ramavarma.yolasite.com/swathi-sa ... m-faqs.php

Article about the location
http://www.thehansindia.com/posts/index ... ven/262585

Hotel options
http://www.booking.com/city/in/trivandr ... aAodcl0NDg

Excerpts from previous festivals, available on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ethotsavam+

sweetsong

Re: Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017

Post by sweetsong »

January 4th , Wednesday, 6 P.M.
Prince Rama Varma - Vocal
Avaneeswaram Sri S.R.Vinu - Violin
Sri B.Harikumar - Mridangam
Dr S.Karthick - Ghatam
Payyanur Sri Govindaprasad - Morsing

January 5th , Thursday, 6 P.M.
Ms Amrutha Venkatesh - Vocal
Sri M.Rajeev - Violin
Sri S.J.Arjun Ganesh - Mridangam
Dr S.Karthick - Ghatam

January 6th , Friday ,6 P.M.
Ms Aditi Prahlad - Vocal
Trivandrum Sri Sampath - Violin
Dr G.Babu - Mridangam
Adichanaloor Sri Anilkumar - Ghatam
Thirunakkara Sri Retish - Morsing

January 7th , Saturday ,6 P.M.
Sri O.S.Arun - Vocal
Sri J.Vaidyanathan - Mridangam
Dr S.Karthick - Ghatam
Ms Retnasree Iyer - Tabla

January 8th ,Sunday
5:30 P.M.
Sri Mahadevan - Veena
Palghat Sri Maheshkumar - Mridangam
Adichanalloor Sri Anilkumar - Ghatam

January 8th , Sunday
7pm
Ms Surabhi Pusthakam - Vocal
Sri Anand Vishwanathan - Violin
Adichanalloor Sri Anilkumar - Ghatam

January 9th , Monday , 6 P.M.
Ms Brinda Manickavasakan – Vocal
Trivandrum Sri Sampath - Violin
Vazhapalli Sri Krishnakumar - Ghatam
Thirunakkara Sri Retish - Morsing

January 10th ,Tuesday , 6 P.M.
Thamarakkad Sri Govindan Namboothiri – Vocal
Idappally Sri Ajith Kumar - Violin
Dr G.Babu - Mridangam
Udipi Sri Sridhar - Ghatam
Kottayam Sri Murali - Morsing

January 11th , Wednesday , 6 P.M.
Sri Amith Nadig - Flute
Sri S.R.Mahadev Sarma - Violin
Chertala Sri Krishnakumar - Mridangam
Manjoor Sri Unnikrishnan – Ghatam
Sri Somashekar Jois - Konnakkol

January 12th ,Thursday , 6 P.M.
Sri Kashyap Mahesh - Vocal
Sri B.Anantakrishnan - Violin
Neyveli Sri Venkatesh - Mridangam
Manjoor Sri Unnikrishnan – Ghatam
Smt Bhagyalakshmi M.Krishna - Morsing

January 13th , Friday, 6 P.M.
Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan – Vocal
Sri S.Vardarajan - Violin
Nanjil Sri R.Arul - Mridangam
Perukavu Sri P.L.Sudheer – Ghatam
Smt Bhagyalakshmi M.Krishna - Morsing

Special Concert at 6 P.M. on Sunday January 15 at Sree Uthradom Thirunal Chitralayam
(SUT Chitralayam) adjacent to Kutiramalika Palace by
Prince Rama Varma - Vocal
Sri B.Harikumar - Mridangam
Dr S.Karthick - Ghatam

Special concert samples from last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gBNwPA ... 1PnftlIM3J

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

swathi or navarathri concert series of trivandrum have 3 constants . They are rama verma , amrutha venkatesh and sanjay subrahmanyan. Musicians like sanjay would even be doing their third round of 9 set swati krithis . I do know rama verma is the organizer but why should he have two concerts . The same thing is happening where sanjay sings twice in BGS during season. Bad precedent of having two concerts in the same festival or season . That is one side of Rama verma as an organizer.

I also see the other lovely side where rama verma brings fresh talent . I dont know about amrit Nadig , adhiti prahlad and surabhi pushtakam at all till the above posts were made. Certain talents like brinda manickavasagan and Thamarakkad govindan namboothiri i have tasted they are lovely. THere is this one musician KAshyap Mahesh - I heard him only half of his concert few years back in sastri hall- he sings in a bubbly fashion and he is also a bubbly vidwan - bayangaramANa throw.

Best wishes to all artists.

I wish one of the days that I have a chance to hear in either this place or the other place (where ever they ask the rasikas to assemble before and with oil lamps and lights )- but tree van drum is bit too far. But one day I hope to make it. Taanam with mrudangam and natural oil lamps - may be that is the only place I endorse internal visual overload to happen which usually distracts the aural load.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Rama Verma is as self-effacing as anyone can be.
Sanjay commands full house and is in demand. To starve rasikas cannot be good policy for them or music.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
An error in printing, perhaps? Is one of them a vINA concert of his?
Anyhow, but for him, the two Swathi festivals wouldn't be happening!

Amrutha is his student, and sings beautifully too!

Sanjay, a favorite in Kerala as well, is an asset to any line up.

(As for BGS, one reason for a repeat performance is: the demand for tickets is more than
what the auditorium can contain, I heard. Hey, season, and that means more money for them!)

More kerala artistes are featured at Swathi festival of late. A good thing!

As for the lighted with oil lamps event, it's the navarAtri manDapam concert. Rama Varma organizes both. How I wish I could attend one!

arasi

Post by arasi »

I also see a first-timer(?)'s name there. Karnataka's Bhagyalakshmi Krishna, a blast of a morsing player, daughter of late khanjirA player Ramachar. She's also in super woman ghaTa player Sukanya Ramgopal's outstanding layA ensemble.

Was surprised to see her accompanying Sanjay, a la list. Except for an old clip where he's accompanied by Gaythri (ra-gA), I have not seen a woman accompanist on stage with him in so many years!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kvchellappa wrote:Rama Verma is as self-effacing as anyone can be.
Sanjay commands full house and is in demand. To starve rasikas cannot be good policy for them or music.
KVChellapa Sir,
Since it is you and with your levelheaded posts that you have contribute that I am replying .It is a principle of being fair and not having a special private override that I am questioning ?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
(As for BGS, one reason for a repeat performance is: the demand for tickets is more than
what the auditorium can contain, I heard. Hey, season, and that means more money for them!)
Arasi
I dont know if there is any error in print , you may be still right .If there is any last last hour error in the voice , veenA can be there. I hope it is not two errors then there would be a likelihood of two veena concerts. :)

We can theoretically have 5 artists - Abhishek , TMK(Post Dec on Jan ), Ranjani Gayathi ,Sanjay and ArunaSairam . We can also have 10 day festival.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
Arasi
I dont know if there is any error in print , you may be still right .If there is any last last hour error in the voice , veenA can be there. I hope it is not two errors then there would be a likelihood of two veena concerts.

We can theoretically have 5 artists - Abhishek , ArunaSairam, TMK(Post Dec on Jan, he sings in Jan Margazhi Season , he only has problem in december margazhi), Ranjani Gayathi ,Sanjay and . We can also have 10 day festival each of them performing twice. Season means only more money. :P

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
:)
Rama Varma playing the veenA is something worth listening to, and we all know that. That was why I wondered if the repeat of the word 'vocal' was an error.

As for Suppiriamanian (why not? That's the only way in which I have not seen Sanjay's last name written down), he draws crowds, period. In a democracy where leaders act most non-democratically, you expect equality in the art world? Have we heard of royal and wealthy patrons following that norm ever?

Nowadays, patrons and the general public fill the halls to hear him. Even students who hardly have money to spare occupy the stage, surrounding the dais.

Of course, temple concerts forever have been free for all...

Two things occurred to me as I witnessed the Sanjay phenomenon at various venues: how he keeps growing in stature and how he has brought more music-minded folks into the CM fold.

Not a flash in the pan, this music man--a dogged worker who will not give up on his search for better things...

I do not belong to any of his fan clubs, but ever since I heard him in the year 2000, I
have been hooked--as if you know not...:)

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017 - 2nd Day (5th Jan 2017):

Performance by Ms. Amrutha Venkatesh
Violin: Sri M. Rajeev
Mridangam: Sri. S.J. Arjun Ganesh
Ghatam: Dr. S. Karthick
Morsing: Payyannur Sri Govindaprasad

Krithi List:
1. Sarasa Sarasundara - Neelambari - Adi (Pada Varnam)
2. Pankajaksha Tavasevam - Todi - Roopakam
3. Santatam Bhajamiha - Bilahari - Misra Chapu
4. Mamavasada Janani - Kanada - Roopakam
5. Paripalaya Saraseeruhalochana - Pantuvarali - Adi
6. Jagadeesha Sada Mamava - Nattakurinji - Adi (Main Piece)
7. Jamuna Kinare - Misra Pilu - Adi
8. Srisha Padmanabha Pahi - Khamas - Adi
9. Bhujagashayino - Yadukulakamboji - Roopakam

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

Missed out an entry, apologies!

9. Thillana - Bhoopalam - Adi (Tuned by Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna
10. Bhujagashayino - Mangalam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sriram SL wrote:
I have no idea about bhoopalam thillana by DR BMK . I surely have an instinct it may be heading in the excellence of BMK kuntalavarali one . Just curious this bhoopalam is not the usual bowli or revagupti. The film industry has given us a poor sign board where they associate sunrise /sunset tune which is more a bowli than a bhoopalam . I am thinking this bhoopalam will resemble more with heavy influence of subhapantuvarali. With Dr BMK it can still be its own trajectory of bhoopalam as his sastriya sangeeth bhoopalam?. Just an innocuous question how was the contour of this bhoopalam thillana?

CRama

Post by CRama »

There is no printing mistake. Prince Rama Varma is giving another vocal concert in a venue adjacent to Kuthiramalika- SUT Chitralayam. Prince rarely gives Veena Concerts these days. In fact, our forumite Sivaramakrishnan has been pursuing Prince to give his Veena concert in the Navarathri Mandapam. But not meeting with any success. Of the many changes brought about by Prince in Navarathri Mandapam, one is the stoppage of Veena concerts in the Navarathri Mandapam, the abode of Goddess Saraswathy.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote:
Sriram SL wrote:
I am thinking this bhoopalam will resemble more with heavy influence of subhapantuvarali.
You are right Rajesh. It is in Bhoopalam only. Not in Bowli/Revagupti. This thillana I have heard some time back. It is thillana composed by ST and tuned by MBK.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:In a democracy
Democracy stands with the pre requisite of one man one vote . Lot of musicians block a date and keep that fixed as over the years every one goes there, that is okay too. This Jan 01st (2nd concert of sanjay) is also a 4 hr and 15 mins concert . Well usually all of them say they have to give opportunity to other upcoming talent and make musicians vacate at sharp 12 and also say lecdem is important and keep it usually before 10 . That is also okay - let him enjoy 4 hour plus , but i would prefer like mudhra that also is rotated to equally upcoming crowdpuller. But to give two concerts in a same festival in a same sabha for the same artist - it is rigging not democracy that too during the same festival. It has never happened in the last 75 years , needless precedent. Not talking ever about musicianship here .For Rama verma I am not even sure if he draws crowd for two concerts in the same festival. That is perhaps rigging with communism.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Is such a policy followed in any other music form? I have heard that (at least in Singapore it happened) MS performed more than on one day because it was not possible to accommodate all rasikas in one day.
An artist having full house for 11 concerts in 20 days needs opportunity to satisfy the rasikas.
What is our objection if the sabha finds it profitable and rasikas take it up?
How is one-person-one-vote relevant in this? It is rather odd that even at this level democracy is understood only as election.
It will be so nice if more people come forward to organise events according to their idea of fairness and fostering music so that rasikas will have more fare and choice.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Rajesh... Your peculiar interpretation of democracy is like a mendicant in an 'annadhaanam' line complaining loudly about why pongal is being served again in the same week instead of 'more kali' :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sureshvv,
You are already smelling the aroma of pongal!

The kaLi you mention can also mean the other kaLi: joy, bliss :)
ekkaLiyAnAlum, kali thIrkkum, or pasi thIrkkum kaLiyAyirundAl pOdumE! Whatever kaLi it is, if it distances suffering or hunger, it's fine by all of us :)

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017 - 4th Day (7th Jan) - Performance by Sri. O.S. Arun

Violin - Avaneeswaram Sri. S.R. Vinu
Mridangam - Sri J. Vaidyanathan
Ghatam - Dr. S. Karthick
Tabla - Ms. Rethnasree Iyer

Wow! What an extraordinary concert! (Considering the fact that I went to attend the concert with lesser expectations than usual)

Krithi List:

1. Jaya Jaya Devi - Hamsadhwani - Adi
2. Mamavasada Janani - Kaanada - Roopakam
3. Smaraharipaadaravindam - Saama - Adi
4. Gopalam Seveham - Bilahari - Roopakam
5. Sankara Sri Girinath - Hamsanandi - Adi
6. Sadhu Tada Nijabhaminim - Vakulabharanam - Adi (Tuned by Prince Aswathy Thirunal Rama Varma)
7. Jamuna Kinare - Madhuvanti - Adi
8. Naache Raghunath - Misra Pilu - Adi (Tisra Nada)
9. Smarati Nu Mam Sadayam Yadupati - Behag - Adi
10. Git Dhunik Taka (Thillana) - Dhanasri - Adi
11. Bhujagashayino (Mangalam) - Yadukulakamboji - Roopakam

A high energy affair with absolutely no dull moments!

An out of the world rendition of Vakulabharanam krithi by Sri O.S. Arun, preceeded by a mindblowing raga alapana by both him and violinist! Sri Arun jokingly said that it is his 'arangetram' for this krithi. The tani avartanam was also captivating. The audience were visibly moved after this Vakulabharanam piece (even the foriegners who were present, were heard applauding 'Bravo! Bravo!').

I am sure this gem of a performance would be one of the most unforgettable as far as Swathi Sangeethotsavam is concerned. I consider myself to be lucky to have been able to attend this concert.

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2017 - 7th Day (9th Jan) - Performance by Ms. Brinda Manickavasakan

Violin - Trivandrum Sri Sampath
Mridangam - Palghat Sri Maheshkumar
Ghatam - Vazhappally Sri Krishnakumar
Morsing - Thirunakkara Sri Ratish

Excellent concert with a refreshing choice of krithis.

Krithi List:

1. Sumasaayaka (Padavarnam) - Karnataka Kapi - Roopakam
2. Sri Ramana Vibho - Arabhi - Adi
3. Anjaneya Raghuramadoota - Saveri - Adi
4. Paripahimam Nrhare - Mohanam - Misra Chapu
5. Bhavaye Gopabalam - Pushpalathika - Roopakam
6. Rasavilasa Lola - Kamboji - Adi (Main Piece)
7. Slokam - Tvam Me Mata in Hamir Kalyani followed by Gangeya Vasanadhara - Hamir Kalyani - Adi
8. Itu Sahasamulu (Javali) - Saindhavi - Adi
9. Alasara Paritapam (Padam) - Suruti - Misra Chapu
10. Ramachandra Prabhu - Sindhubhairavi - Adi
11. Bhujagashayino (Mangalam) - Yadukulakamboji - Roopakam