Sanjay at Chowdiah Hall

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kvchellappa

Sanjay at Chowdiah Hall

Post by kvchellappa »

The Sanjay musical trinity (with S.Venkataramanan on Kanjira) was in action in Bengaluru on the 20th April, and provided an enjoyable fare.
1. Ninne kori varnam (?)
2. Janakiramana (T) with swaraprastara (Suddhasimantin)
3. Nadopasana (T) with alapana and measured and unhurried swaraprastara (Begada)
4. Govinda ninnanada sakalasadhanalu (PD) (Madhyamavati)
5. Chintaya makanda mulam (MD) with alapana and neraval at mangalakara mandahasa vadanam (Bhairavi)
6. Sami .. vadivela om saravana bhava, sung at fast pace with swaraprastara (Khamas)
7. RTP Kalyani; thandavam adum thillai Natarajan thajam thakajam thakidajam enru; ragamalika swarams (Sahana, Hindolam and ?); trikalam (or 4?); fast paced Kalyani swarams; crisp thani
8. Haridasrada (PD) (Sindhubhairavi)\
9. Adukalum madukalum (viruttham) followed by Ninaippadellam niya (?)
10. Ni nama paripala (?)
11. Mangalam

arasi

Re: Sanjay at Chowdiah Hall

Post by arasi »

KVC,
The varNam is in mAlavi, a composition of his guru Calcutta Krishnamurthy.

You did stay till the end, and Chowdiah Hall is quite far for you...

Bharathi's cattle have made an entry into Sanjay's concerts now, I see. Haven't yet heard him sing it. Thank goodness, with the fierce feline out of sight, the mention of sheeple is gone too...:)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It was quite an effort and I went because a friend was kind enough to take me in his car. It was a ticketed concert on a weekday starting at 7PM with so many concerts on offer in the city. You can imagine the attendance. It was a notch lower than Sanjay stuff.
I have not heard the khamas and madhyamavati pieces also earlier.
Badari was there. Hope he posts his comments.

arasi

Post by arasi »

The song which followed the virutham--was it the mahAkavi's nittamunai vENDi manam?
Ah! Badari was there!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

" Adugalum mAdugalum" was "released" by Sanjay last December itself. panamE song was popularised only after this.

Nitham unai vEndi- song followed by "adugalum" was on mahAlaxmi. The word "tiruvE" (tiru=Sri) comes at the end of verse. I remember discussing this in one of his concert review long before, here.

Must be superb concert with "natarAjar" dancing in pallavi.......

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I did not hear as nitham unai vendi manam, but I heard thiruve as a refrain. Sorry about my hearing, really sorry that I could not make out a Tamizh song. What raga is it?
It was a good concert by ordinary standard, and an ordinary concert by Sanjay standard. There were of course aha moments like dwelling on a swara for a prolonged period, imaginative swaraprastaras (in Begada especially), a mix of slow and fast tempo rendering, faithful and melodious violin returns, etc. Alapanas were rather short.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Ahhh.. Chitanaya makanda... brings back memories of Veene Doreswamy Iyengar's and the great MLV renditions... need to hear them again tonight :)
haven't heard them in a while....

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

I need to take classes from Badari on how he manages to go to concerts at RSM, SRSS, Chowdiah, Unnati..... and still keep his job :) Are you hiring badari? :)

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Looks like Badari vaaaaram...பதரி வாஆஆரம்.....

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 05:53 9. Adukalum madukalum (viruttham)
The Bovine wave has swamped even the fastidious car wave!

Goat Time Cow Time is what he performs now; how long will it take before he sings the Naughty Krishna song or the Cow Herding Song?

Anyone wants to bet when he will perform Jugalbandhis with the Cowherdess? :lol:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Ugly intrusion. Not amusing really.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bharathi's verses and other sources of tamizh lyrics haven't been tapped by singers in recent years like this since post-independence. Oh, for sure, they have been singng the 'then' songs (gems too) here and there all these years, thanks to DKP, MS and others.

Singing telugu and sanskrit songs with familiarity (not always correctly), only a few singers venture into finding unsung verses--it means a lot of work and facing maDi in the audience who simply won't welcome any new additions--Sivan an exception these days, thank goodness!

So, such reaching out means, the safety net is no more there. You either win (the audience
approval) or don't. Your experiment works, or not. But a trooper doesn't give up.

Also, Chowdiah Hall concerts are not Gayana Samaja concerts. It's a different crowd altogether. An intelligent artiste wouldn't sing a concert of strictly trinity kritis in such a venue. However, note how an RTP is included in most of Sanjay's concerts...

Someone who isn't afraid of bringing in some needed additions by making us listen to some music sung in the words that we speak at home--that too lines by the great modern poet or an AzhvhAr, need not be criticized for his efforts...

The SK birudu is another irritant for the stone throwers :lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Attending the concert was also the eminent space scientist and serious CM rasikA,
Dr.Radhakrishnan. How the concert has appealed to him is interesting to read!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 18:43 Not amusing really.
Edit: you are not amused, really :D

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 19:14 However, note how an RTP is included in most of Sanjay's concerts...
...this pallavi was a repeat of what he sung in Singapore. Is he so busy Car Driving that he couldn't even come up with a new pallavi?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Only you can come up with apasvara pallavis, melam, endlessly. Those busy giving musical experience care for internalising and deepening the experience. For all your pretension, you do not seem to know the roots of classical musical tradition. Why don't you take a mouna vrat for ten years and let people enjoy the music they do without the headache of having to suffer your tasteless comments?

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Who composed song number 6 and song numbet 9?

badari

Post by badari »

gardabha_gana wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 15:09 I need to take classes from Badari on how he manages to go to concerts at RSM, SRSS, Chowdiah, Unnati.....
yes.. the passion to be there to listen to my TO LISTEN (ala TO DO) artists, hop on the fastest mode of transport. Even I was delayed (for first 2.5 songs) for all the rained out traffic. Took almost 30 mins to cross the last 1.5 kms. I could have walked faster than the traffic. with all the photography gear with me.

for those who want to relive the moments of the evening, do drop by
https://www.facebook.com/MusicThroughTheLens/

gardabha_gana wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 15:09 and still keep his job :) Are you hiring badari? :)
You know my mail id. Send me your resume.

badari

Post by badari »

Was late for the first few items
01 ninnu kOri mAlavi varna
02 jAnaki ramaNa shuddasImantini tyAgarAja

back to Live experience
03 nAdOpAsanacE shankaranArAyaNa bEgaDA Adi tyAgarAja (A, S)
swara @ nAdOpAsana

04 gOvinda ninnAnanda sakala sAdhanavu madhyamAavti Adi p.dAsa

05 chintaya mAam kandamUla Kandam Bhairavi rUpaka m.dIkshitar (A, N, S)
neraval @ mangaLakara mandahAsa vadanam ...

06 sAmi mayUra giri vaDivEla khamAs TALA kavi kunjara Bharati

07 RTP KalyANi khaNDa rUpaka (R, T, P, T)
Pallavi line: tANDavam ADum tillai naTarAjan tajam takajham takiTa jham enDru
rAgamAlika: sahAna, hindOLa, kApi

08 harivAsaradha vupavAsadha bhAgyavu sinDhubhairavi purandara dAsa

09 nittam unnai vENDi manam RAGA TALA COMOSER ??

10 riNa madanuta paripAlaya mAmayi behAg Adi Swathi Thirunal

11 nI nAma rUpamulaku mangaLa sourAshtra Adi tyAgarAja

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

09 nittam unai vendi manam is by Subramania Bharathi in raga chakravakam (from horse's mouth)