Neyveli Venkatesh

Carnatic Musicians
shankarank

Neyveli Venkatesh

Post by shankarank »

https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/t ... 398971.ece

This is one of his succinct tani(s) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDkPG-yFNE accompanying the doyen SrI Dr BMK.

rajeshnat

Re: Neyveli Venkatesh

Post by rajeshnat »

Wonderful neyveli venkatesh, he has the fastest fingers . We all from core rasikas once went to neyveli santhanagopalan home atleast 14 years back for a rasikas organized concert .That day Venkatesh was playing kanjira for a rare Thanjavur sankara iyer in vocal supported by Lalgudi krishnan and Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam. All his learnings were tavil like and then graduated with energy to mrudangam . He also has a great love and semi patron relationship to one of the finest sabhas of chennai - Pozhichalur Sangeetha Sabha.

He always smiles and lets only his mrudangam talk. He was and always is a true A plus plus mrudangam artist. Best wishes for him to continue with his excellence.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7FE9XFk2c

Seen encouraging an ArangETram artiste. You can see his soft side.

Name suggests that she is from Srilankan origin. Her parents must be really proud!

Srilankan tamizh community is going places!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It's probably in London, I know the ghatam artist.

Sri Lankan cummunity went places, of dire necessity, decades ago. They went places and did stuff. Carnatic music, in London, is in safe hands.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

May be that applies to tamizh as well.

By the way, the safety of Carnatic music is always assumed to be in peril and you must be some Nth in the illustrious line of speakers who have declared Carnatic music is safe in somebody's hands :lol:

More than about the status of Carnatic music, it shows what happens when a community cherishes their own treasures and seeks out knowledge. They don't have to be recognized by anybody, nor anybody kept it away from them.... is what I intended to say!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... h-6166623/

A very long detailed interview with old pictures and memories.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What’s the average length of your thaniyavarthanam?

A maximum of 15 minutes in a three-hour concert, even if there is a sub-accompanist such as ghatam or ganjira. Or 10-12 minutes in a two and a half hour concert.

Moreover, in my view, the thani should be proportionate in length. In a 2.5-hour concert, it shouldn’t exceed 10-12 minutes. If you are going to play for 20-25 minutes, nobody is willing to listen. You would just keep banging on the mridangam and people would be either out of the hall or talking to each other.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Superb Interview by Neyveli Venkatesh done by Pramod , I just love the above answer which was the best of all , he is in line with one of my post that I put by name Panic Index many years back. Venkatesh is one of the finest exponent of mrudangam in this generation. Atleast 15 years back there was a photo i took of him with Tanjore sankara iyer singing at Neyveli santhanagopalans house I will add that. . About 10 years back when venkatesh was paired with santhanagopalan in a morning concert that even got NSG got the coveted yoga nagaswamy award that year . I have personally heard one of his student , his students are coming up very well the intense tavilish strokes are there .

Having said lot of questions and photos are all with sanjay. Every interview an artist irrespective of music, movies has another indirect promotion . I felt all of that is ok any one will do that is absolutely fine .But when a pointed question is asked Does Sanjay like Gumkhis and the answer is Yes he does, that could have been avoided by Pramod . Pramod is interviewing venkatesh and not sanjay here. That is a borderline cloying which is more found in facebook than a newspaper.

All said Pramod is brilliant and one of the most passionate listeners and interviewers of today. God bless pramod .The fact that the interview is so exhaustive and giving details like say venkatesh had a sister who played violin etc were all so complete. Let Neyveli Venkatesh soon raise to the status of Pazhani Subramania Pillai . Neyveli Venkatesh deserves this and more for his passion and perseverance