Lyrics & Meaning-Enna Kavi Paadinalum-Neelamni

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

There is a line in SaraNam- "...Akshara Laksham Tandha aNNal bhoja Rajan illai..". Could any one tell the meaning ?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

In order to consider it in the proper context, here is the text of the song:

enna kavi pADinAlum. rAgA: nIlamaNi. Adi tALA. Composer: Anayampatti Adiseha Iyer.

P: enna kavi pADinAlum undan manam irangavillai innum ennum shOdanai ayyA murugA
A: un annai ariyavillai tandaiyum ninappadillai un mAmiyum pArppadillai mAmanum kETpadillai
C1: akSara lakSam tanda anaban bhOjarAjan illai pakSamuDanE azhaittu parishaLikka prabhu illai
ik-SaNattil nI ninaittAl enakkoru kuraivum illai lakSiyamO unakkillai unnai nAn viDuvadillai
2: kamban kaLikka shaDai vaLLal irundAn ArUr sundaran kaLikkavO sEran irundAn tamizh
sangap-pulavar kaLikka mannan pANDiyanum tAn irundAn engaL kurai tIrkka ini yAruNDu pArinilE
3: anbargaL kUTTam kaNDAl adil enakku nATTamuNDu inbamuDan avar pADa isaikka un tamizh uNDu
kama vinai nInga undan kazhaluNDu enbAr anbar endan piNigaL nInga ini enna uNDu sholvAi appA

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Minor corrections:

P: ennum ---enna
C1: anaban --anban(?)
C3: kama---karma(?)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

akshara laksham tanda anban bhOjarAjan....

This may refer to the king Bhojan who had the poet KALidAsan in his court under his sponsorship.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks mahakavi.

kutty

Post by kutty »

The version with me and popularised by Madurai SOmu runs like this:
P: enna kavi pADinAlum ungaL manam irangavillai innum enna shOdanai ayyA murugA
A: annaiyum ariyavillai tandaiyO ninakkavillai mAmiyum pArppadillai mAmanO kETpadillai
C1:akSara lakSam tanda aNNal bhOjarAjan illai pakSamuDanE parindu (also kaLittu) parishaLikka
yArumillai
ik-SaNattil nI ninaittAl enakkEdum kuraiyum illai lakSiyamO idu unakku unai nAn viDuvadillai
2: kamban kaLikka shaDai vaLLal irundAn ArUr sundaran kaLikkavO sEran irundAn tamizh
sangap-pulavar kaLikka mannan pANDiyanum tAn irundAn engaL kurai tIrkka ini yAruNDu pArinilE
3: anbargaL kUTTam kaNDAl adil enakku nATTamuNDu inbamuDan avar pADa isaikka un tamizh uNDu
karma vinai nInga undan kazhaluNDu enbAr anbar endan piNigaL nInga ini enna uNDu sholvAi appA
As said by Mahakavi, the reference is to King BhOjA of Ujjain whose court was adorned by several great scholars and poets among whom KALidAsA was the greatest. There are several beautiful anecdotes about both which may not be apt here. But the one apt here is King BhojA was himself a great scholar and recognised talent for which he used to reward each word in a poem with a lakh of gold coins if it was a brilliant creation. Sanskrit is one of the beautiful languages for poetry.

It is said that once BhOja was strolling along the banks of the river in his kingdom. At that time due to heavy wind from a tall tree of black berry, a few ripe berries fell into the river producing a sound similar to "guLugug". Next day when everyone assembled in the court he asked whether anyone could make a poem with the word "guLugug". None could do so. KALidAsA, having Saraswati katAksham, without wasting a moment made a verse as follows:

kapi kampita SAkEbyaha
patanti vimalE jalE
jambU phalAni pakvAni
guLugug guLugug guLugug

The meaning is:

When the branches of a black berry tree were shaken by the monkeys, the ripe berries falling on the surface of clear water they produced a sound similar to guLugug contuously.

Hearing this, BhOjA was so pleased that he ordered payment of a lakh of gold coins for each word in this verse to kALidAsA.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The version I posted is from the book of compositions by the author.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I don't know there are two more SaraNams after "akshara Laksham". I have to "partially" thank Mahakavi and Kutty for their help. But the word "akshara" - How does it fit in to this sentence ? Is it like- Bhojarajan has given so much "brain' exercise to Kalidasa by asking so many "aksharas" (aksharas together form a poem). My guess..

Kutty- Good anectode. If you coud translate that verse in "Sanskrit", I would be able to appreciate the words. Kalidasa's vidwat was also explained by Ghatam Karthick in his programme in "Nayyandi Darbar" uploaded in you tube.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

akSara may mean 51.
SphaTika-ghuTikA is the crystal bead necklace. In Sanskrit it is
called aksha-mAlA. This is the same as akshara-mAlA. The akshharas are the alphabets. The 51 letters of the Sanskrit alphabet from 'a' to 'kshha' correspond each by each to the beads in the necklace; that is why it is called akshara-mAlA, also called aksha-mAlA.
kAnci mAhAsvAmi's exposition of saundarya lahari - verse 15
http://www.geocities.com/profvk/gohitvip/DPDS.html

kutty

Post by kutty »

grs

Here is the Sanskrit transliteration, thanks to Arun:

कपि कम्पित शाकेब्य:
पतन्ति विमले जले |
जम्बू फलानि पक्वानि
गुळुगुग् गुळुगुग् गुळुगुग् ||

Also in Thamizh:

கபி கம்பித1 ஷாகேப்3ய:
பத1ந்தி விமலே ஜலே |
ஜம்பூ3 ப2லானி ப1க்வானி
கு3ளுகு3க்3 கு3ளுகு3க்3 கு3ளுகு3க்3 ||

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

mandi kulikkiDa manda mArutham paNNisaikka
vandu vizhunthathu thI^Ngani nIrinuL
chenthamizh kavikku BhOjanam aruLilen manam
guLuguk guLugukkena kURum nin koDai thanai

With the monkey shaking and the gentle breeze wafting musically the sweet berries fell in water; if (ing Bhoja/ good food (pun on the word bhoja and
'food' = fitting reward) for the poem is provided then my heart will say 'guLuguk' (also means cool down (gulu = cool)) with gratitude at your munificense.

bhOjana prIyatAm
(may this please the respected (king) Bhoja/may this please the respected (rasika) community (bhO(hail) + janaH (folks) :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

brAhmaNa bhojana (bahu jana) priya!

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
tInganik kavidai!
Bless this particular monkey on the tree, his mischief brought sweet results.
By the way, jambu phalam has a stone, and grows on a tree. So, it is a fruit--not a shrub borne-berry which has grainy seeds on the outside (strawberry, raspberry, mulberry--but then, blueberry and others are globular!).
Well, you have been away, and nitpicking has been rearing its head here and there in your absence. Is it sangati kA phal on my part?
Once again, sweet 'vari'gaL (lines), if not berries...:)
Last edited by arasi on 21 Jul 2007, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dictionay (Sanskrit) equates it with 'Rose Apple'
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/mort ... apple.html
I have heard it was commonly known as 'nAgappazham' (navvAppazham colloquially), the one Murugan offered to auvvayaar ('SuTTa pazham') :) That would be almost like a berry, of course with a small seed inside! I used to hanker after it as a child and perhaps King Bhoja was also after it :)
Thanks for the comments folks!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Here is a write-up on the tree bearing the fruit nAval pazham (jambu phalam)-- written by a good friend (through the chennaionline ezine) of mine who retired as a botanist from a city college in Madras (Chennai) a few years ago.

http://www.chennaionline.com/columns/ch ... rees22.asp

arasi

Post by arasi »

navila iyalumO nAyakiyin koDumai,
nanRE, nAdanin aRivillAmai-
tiRanuDai kurangu! illayenil-
idayamadait tinRiruppAL
idayamE illAdavaL...

How can one describe this cruelty?
Good that the mate was dim-witted
But the monkey was smart--if not,
The heartless croc would have
Eaten his poor heart!
Last edited by arasi on 21 Jul 2007, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The following is the reason why the monkey went with the croc. The croc sang his heart out in the rAgam aTANA.
(with apologies to P. Sivan)

P: kurangE nI iRangAyenil uNavEdu?
pazhamniRai maramadil uRai tiru (kurangE)

AP: nI iRangAviDil entuNai(vi)yumE vAzhumO?
avaL pasikku nIyoru nalluNavanRO? (kurangE)

C: nAval marattil vasikkinRa tirukkurangE
anumanin vazhi vanda kulakkozhundE
ARRangarai vAzhum ellA uyirgaLukkum
mudalaigaLukkum maRRum siRuvargaLukkum tiru (kurangE)

ப: குரங்கே நீ இறங்காயெனில் உணவேது?
பழம்நிறை மரமதில் உறை திரு (குரங்கே)

அப: நீ இறங்காவிடில் என் துணை(வி)யுமே வாழுமோ?
அவள் பசிக்கு நீயொரு நல்லுணவன்றோ? (குரங்கே)

ச: நாவல் மரத்தில் வசிக்கின்ற திருக்குரங்கே
அனுமனின் வழி வந்த குலக்கொழுந்தே
ஆற்றங்கரை வாழும் எல்லா உயிர்களுக்கும்
முதலைகளுக்கும் மற்றும் சிறுவர்களுக்கும் திரு (குரங்கே)

pugalEdu is replaced by uNavEdu (vgvindan's suggestion)
Last edited by mahakavi on 22 Jul 2007, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

குரங்கே நீ இறங்காயெனில் உணவேது

kurangE nI iRangAyenil uNavEdu - how about it?
Last edited by vgvindan on 21 Jul 2007, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

OK, it is getting better. That was just a scribbling in two minutes.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK Sub!
I am lending my voice but have made some changes to the lyric to suit rendering. Oblige Rasikas with the revised lyric :)
http://rapidshare.com/files/44223259/nI ... yATANA.mp3

If my voice is not up to the mark blame it on Air France :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Rapidshare is becoming a lousy place to upload (at least from the download point of view). I have not downloaded any in several months. It declines my "free" download. Other sites should be explored.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi

Post by arasi »

enna kavi pADinAlum, adu
kuRRAlaththuk kadai Agi viTTadE?
koppai viTTu iRangu, enbadu pOL?
iranguvAyo, aDa, iRangaththAn SeivAyO,
enbadAga um pADal olikkiRadE?
Sevi SaRRE kETkAviDinum,
Sevikku uNavE, naNbarE,
you made my day...
Last edited by arasi on 22 Jul 2007, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK Arasi! Let us get back to basics with our revised version a-la (you the instigator) and Sub (the mahAka(v/p)i).
The lyric goes as follows:

P: enna kavi pADinAlum ungaL manam irangavillai innum enna shOdanai ayyA hanumA
A: manaiviyum aRiyavillai maram ERa vazhiyum illai naNbarkaLum pArppadillai nIrum kAdAl kETpadillai
C1:akSara lakSam tanda aNNal bhOjarAjan illai pakSamuDanE nAval pazhamaLikka yArumillai
ik-SaNattil nIr ninaittAl enakkEdum kuraiyum illai lakSiyamO idu umakku umai nAn viDuvadillai

Can be nicely rendered in nIlamani! Who is game?
(symbolically I did give my heart to Somu for the original rendering of the song !)

Lakshman!
Could you help with the raga lakShana of nIlamaNi and a list of compositions in it? Thanks.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I hear that crocs are now existing only near Lakshman Jhoola (near Haridwar) in Ganga.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Scale: 42-SRGPDS/SNDPMGRS, 27-SRMPDNS/SNDPMRS

Enna kavi padinalum undan manam-Adi-Anayampatti Adishesha Iyer
Ettanai per tunburuvor attanai per-Rupaka-Periasami Tooran
Kannanin-Adi-D.Krishnasvami Iyengar
Mal maruganai maname-Adi-K.Ramaraj

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Lakshman!
Of course how could I forget Ramraj who has the flair for all exotic ragas! He of course goes here with sarasangi. His lyric is very beautiful (with audio) and if you folks are interested we can discuss it separately. NilamaNi deserves more respect :0
Find Ramraj at
http://www.karnatik.com/c3521.shtml

Thanks again DRS for referring to our old discussions where we did not discuss the raga fully. Will be nice if you can share your knowledge on this raga which is not available elsewhere. Could you tell us whether Somu's rendering is mela 42 or 27 ? I think I hear the nishadam distinctly in the arohanam!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover wrote:Could you tell us whether Somu's rendering is mela 42 or 27 ? I think I hear the nishadam distinctly in the arohanam!
Which niShAda? Even in case of the 42nd mELa janya, you will hear N2(The default for D3).
In any case this is a janya of mELa 27 as rendered by Somu.

Lakshman
The janya of 42nd mELa you have listed is called nIlamAri in my list(R.R.Keshavamurthy)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks
I went by Lakshman's notation of the ArOhaNa!
To invoke the old discussion, is there a likelihood of hearing sivaranjani in nIlamaNi?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

CML : Thanks for the clarification about "rose apple" - now it is clear why the story of the monkey and the crocodile in the Karadi series, calls it "rose apple" while I had always read the story based on Jamuns elsewhere.
(The pictures in the companion book are confusing though - they show pinkish apples, nothing like Jamuns)

In the kriti, the poet names many benevolent patrons (Bhoja, Sadaiyappar and Cheran to Kalidasa, Kambar and Sundarar respectively) and laments that he has no such godfather. IMHO Cheran was just a friend to Sundarar, it was Lord Shiva who showered him(Sundarar) with gifts when needed.

BTW is "jambu dveepam" named after a jamun tree?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajani
I also have not heard of a cheran connection to Sundarar!
jambu dvIpam refers to Asia
http://members.tripod.com/~esh/misvarsha.htm
and India is bharatakhaNDaM (Indian sub continent). I wonder what was its name before bharata (son of duShyanta and shakuntala) ?
Also the connection to jamun maybe a misnomer since jamun tree is not that extensive in the rest of Asia!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Rajani wrote:In the kriti, the poet names many benevolent patrons (Bhoja, Sadaiyappar and Cheran to Kalidasa, Kambar and Sundarar respectively) and laments that he has no such godfather. IMHO Cheran was just a friend to Sundarar, it was Lord Shiva who showered him(Sundarar) with gifts when needed.

BTW is "jambu dveepam" named after a jamun tree?
Sundarar was entertained by his friend the cEra King in royal style and was sent back with lavish presents in gold and kind which Sundarar accepted with pleasure. But the cEra King (sEramAn perumAL nAyanAr) was not to be a benefactor for Sundarar because the latter was God's slave. So God sent his minions (in the guise of hunters) to waylay Sundarar at ThirumuruganpUNDi and robbed Sundarar of all the treasures that were carried by the porters. Then Sundarar prayed to God and He returned all the treasures. The returned treasures were thus a gift from Lord Shiva since the robbery turned over the treasures to the Lord. Sundarar was not supposed to be sponsored by anybody but Lord Shiva since Lord Shiva owned Sundarar as a slave.

Finally it was the cEra King (friend of Sundarar) who overtook Sundarar (riding on airAvatam) to the gates of Heaven on his royal steed. The cEra king was not in the list to be taken inside but after some persuasion by Sundarar they both were taken into KailAsam.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks sub for the info!

Shalsie

Re: Lyrics & Meaning-Enna Kavi Paadinalum-Neelamni

Post by Shalsie »

This song is beautiful, as the topic said lyrics & meaning of the song I have looked for the word to word meaning/ translation but do not see anything? Can we get a post of the exact translation of the song?

Ranganayaki

Re:

Post by Ranganayaki »

cmlover wrote: 22 Jul 2007, 19:37 Thanks
I went by Lakshman's notation of the ArOhaNa!
To invoke the old discussion, is there a likelihood of hearing sivaranjani in nIlamaNi?
This is so late, but I was looking up the same question and found this nice piece and it does seem there is a good chance of hearing one in the place of the other :

https://sujamusic.wordpress.com/neelamani/

I do wish cml could be drawn back in.

shivcha

Re: query about-Enna Kavi Paadinalum-Neelamni

Post by shivcha »

hi

Neelamani raga has no D2.

But when OS arun and Aruna Sairam sing the phrase Muruga they have used D2.

Pl explain. Thanks