Scientists build detachable mridangam

Tālam & Layam related topics
satyabalu

Scientists build detachable mridangam

Post by satyabalu »

CHENNAI: In a case of science meeting art, scientists at CSIR-Central Leather Research Institute here have developed a detachable mridangam that musicians will find easier to carry.

The travel-friendly version of the traditional Carnatic percussion instrument was developed over a decade in collaboration with mridangam exponent Umayalpuram K Sivaraman, who told former CLRI director Dr T Ramasami about the difficulty he faced while travelling abroad for concerts.

The traditional mridangam has a hollow body made of columns of wood from the jackfruit tree. It comes in three sizes — 22, 23 and 24 inches — to cover the entire vocal range. The ends are covered with goat leather held in place by leather straps.

The prototype engineered at the CLRI lab has been cut into three parts with a larger central part and two smaller parts corresponding to the right and left drumheads. The final product, which has been patented, is not just travel-friendly but weighs about half of the three mridangams.

M D Naresh, retired scientist from CLRI, said a musician who needs all three sizes for a concert can carry just a central piece and a left piece with drumheads in varying sizes for the right side to produce the critical harmonic overtones, semitones and halftones to cover the entire vocal range.

"Since the left side's tuning is less critical and the tone is achieved with semolina paste, we decided to have three different sized right drumheads and a single left side head. So, only the central and left side, which produces the bass, will remain while we can detach and attach the drumheads on the right. When you change the right drumheads, the mridangam would measure 22, 23, and 24 inches in length accordingly. The left one can be detached while packing," he said.
Courtesy a post from Erode Nagaraj.

Nick H

Re: Scientists build detachable mridangam

Post by Nick H »

You have covered this in much more detail (courtesy Erode Nagaraj) than the existing thread which is much less serious.

Perhaps the moderators could merge ---or leave the jokes apart, as they see fit.

As UKS was involved in this development, we can understand that it must have resulted in a serious, realistic and workable musical instrument with an authentic sound.

I believe that UKS was also involved in the development, a decade or two ago, for the GRP-body mridangam, which weighed just a fraction of the wooden one. I guess we can say that it didn't catch on, but good to know that UKS continues to research, invent and innovate.

Perhaps mridangists are conservative. It is even longer now since TVG established that polyester rope was a better solution than the traditional waar [spelling?] but one seldom sees it. Of course, there is a very large cost difference. I think the round, braided rope is harder for the makers to handle too.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Nick H wrote:
You have covered this in much more detail (courtesy Erode Nagaraj) than the existing thread which is much less serious.

Perhaps the moderators could merge ---or leave the jokes apart, as they see fit.
I am bringing a sorely-needed touch of levity to this forum which otherwise would be dull and boring. And you want the moderators to take out my less-serious wording out?

My cohorts will soon descend upon you in purple and gleaming gold and you will be mere sheep in the fold before them! [-x :))

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

This is principally aimed at those in favour of levity, like Harimau :

A young kid once went to visit her grandma across the forest. It had turned dark before she started back. To ward off the evil old tiger on the prowl, the grandma placed the kid in a large basket with a portable drum(= precursor to CLRI invention), and the kid set out rolling along on the way beating the drum furiously in a matya tala sollu. The Tiger was scared silly and stayed away.

Finally I am glad that the second invention of CLRI has been received by the world of art so well. Their first invention was the IIT hostel chapati and the guys simply tore into it.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Rsachi wrote:This is principally aimed at those in favour of levity, like Harimau :

A young kid once went to visit her grandma across the forest. It had turned dark before she started back. To ward off the evil old tiger on the prowl, the grandma placed the kid in a large basket with a portable drum(= precursor to CLRI invention), and the kid set out rolling along on the way beating the drum furiously in a matya tala sollu. The Tiger was scared silly and stayed away.

I am not scared of anything; I am married! :))
Rsachi wrote:
Finally I am glad that the second invention of CLRI has been received by the world of art so well. Their first invention was the IIT hostel chapati and the guys simply tore into it.
Do you mean their chapathi had the texture and taste of old shoe leather? :))

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

critical harmonic overtones, semitones and halftones to cover the entire vocal range.
Only in India do so-called "scientists" get away making such vague statements consisting purely of jargon without any coherence. Why not add baritones, monotones, ketones, cornerstones, etc...

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Harimau,
Spoken like a circus tiger! :D
Yes to your query re chapati.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

harimau wrote:My cohorts will soon descend upon you in purple and gleaming gold and you will be mere sheep in the fold before them! [-x :))
I rather have co horts than cow orkers!

:ymparty:

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Vijayakumar

Post by Vijayakumar »

Is there any video / audio demo or kind of conparison of the performance of the traditional and new instrument?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

In thavil, the leather buffalo strap has already been replaced by nylon straps and tightening is done by bolt and nuts. I noted this in Valayapatti's thavil also.
In mridangam it is slightly more complicated. The buffa;lo leather waar ( on which the mridangam worker applies some oil ) has a certain amount of elasticity whichthe mridangist makes use of for minor sruthi alignment when in the middle of a concert he put a small piece of wood(puLLu) over the right side hole joint ( kann) and strike on with a stone.This tightens the right side without loosing the thoppi.(elastic effect ).
In a detachable mridangam, the length appears to be well taken care of (inches measurement). But much attention is needed to keep the attaching process AIR TIGHT as any leakage could alter the vibrating air column inside.( experts do know better. I am only an amateur having learnt this instrument for a few years and tried to maintain four instruments at home).

harimau

Post by harimau »

The person who claims to have designed a tavil with nuts and bolts to hold the drumhead is a tavil vidwan from Poraiyar whose name eludes me. About a year ago, in an interview with The Hindu, he said he tried it after seeing western drums using this method. He admitted that some of the naadham was lost by this method of fastening.

But who cares. We shall soon see a mathematical treatise from IIT-Madras on how different sized ghatams can be assembled from properly shaped shards and then we will be treated to the sight of Ghatam vidwans assembling a jigsaw puzzle on stage. :))

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Harimau,
your zany imagination is something I readily relate to :D
Looong back I had joked that someone will invent an inflatable veena. S. Balachander would be then complimented for his blowing technique as he inflated it the right way on the stage.

unlike nuts, bolts and shards and guards, i think the real danger to Carnatic instruments will come from ISIS. Let me explain:
Instrument synthesized from "Intelligent" Subsystems.
That means a mridangam will only be an iApp and you will tap on a Xiomi or Lava screen. You may use a Kareena kapoor wallpaper for inspiration.
The violin will be a joystick. The veena will be a tap-tap app.
Woe be to those who invent these technologies. Today I find even Hindustani musicians are uncomfortable in the presence of real tanpuras! They also carry a rat trap.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If all that can be done, let it be done --- but it has to be done 100%.

I know, for instance, that real drummers are not satisfied with drum samples. Some of them are technical guys, too, and working to improve the situation.

Radel have already given us a digital veena --- but to reproduce same on a touch screen is probably magnitudes more difficult. Or not... I don't know, I'm guessing.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

In Thiruvaiyaru Utsavam noticed all Thavil vidwans with long ferrules for their fingers. No conventional instruments all with bolt nut arrangements. Any specific reason for such long finger protection. Kindly clarify.
My Pongal greetings to all Rasikas.
Thanjavooran
14 01 2023