G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ram and Lalitha Ram, Los Angeles residents
Ram is the LA resident, Lalitha Ram is not related to him. Lalitha Ram is not a lady. Its a pseudonym used by a friend of mine Mr. Ramachandran who works in Bangalore. He gave me a complimentary copy of his new book this morning. ;)

It's in Tamil, so it may not be readable by all of us, but it contains a lot of memorable information and anecdotes which the author has taken pains to collect from first hand sources. 176 pages.

kkumar29

Post by kkumar29 »

Hi folks,

Can any of you provide details on how I can purchase these books and DVD from the US.

Thanks,
K. Kumar.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

It's great to see GNB at the intro page.

Never realized I share my birthday with this great maestro! (I guess it's time for me to move out of the bathroom singing stage and try out some brisk brigas...:-)

Btw, srkris: GNB's death-date is 1 May 1965.
Last edited by jayaram on 04 Jan 2007, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks for the information, I also replaced the image with a better one.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

srkris - GNB looks a bit tired in this photo. I liked the previous one better.

Btw, is there some place we can access the earlier images (of other musicians)?

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

What a nice op-ed piece!

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

I am coming to this page, after travelling with the admirers of MDR, whom i worshipped, though i am one of the cousins of great GNB. I dint have much time to hear any music till abt 68-69. I was drawn to music
much later when there was not so much of tapes etc (were costly too) available and I was going to concerts
when i cud spare time. once when i heard MDR i could not come out, I became his parama rasika. Like me, there were many.
i wud share some of my knowledge on shri GNB and his "style".

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

Flg are found as GNB"s in a book in tamil "an index on compositions of carnatic music" compiled by mr p.v.gopalakrishna Iyer - Gitanjali art printers ,santhome, in addn. to what is stated in this page 1.
bhava padula-kamboji-adi
indha thamasa-kannada-rupakam
indha parakela-janaranjani-rupakam
innamum eno-denuka-aadhi
un puhazhai naan-yadukula kamboji-adi
eththanai naal indha- -do-
kurai theerkha-vardhani-adi
nannu brocheva-sahana-adi
mamava maathanghi-reetigowla-rupakam
maa ramanan-thodi-adi
nayeda-begada-chapu
ninnadi-kaanada-rupakam
ninne nambi-mukhari-adi
nee paadamulanu-sahana adi
perumaiyai-hindola vasantham-adi
padha saarasamulu-kamboji-adi
sri vijaya-vijaya nagari-adi
thaaladuva-bairavi-rupakam
raja rajeswari-bairavi-adi
vihasite poorna-poorna chandrika-adi
sarangadhara-sarnga-rupakam
yaar yennai-danyasi-adi
----
in addn to abv, i hv in my note one "nandheesam vandhe-rishabappriya"
----
pls check/guide
luvs/rgs

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Unfortunately P.V.Gopalakrishna Iyer does not provide references for any of the entries in his Index book.
He does mention the help he received from S.Kalyanaraman and D.Krishnaswami.
Also mentioned are SKR's disciples Smt.Leela, Smt.Brinda Venkataraman, Selvi Kulabhushani etc.

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

Lakshman- when i was talking to mr kalyanaraman during 87 or 88, (he wasone of my good friends in those
days) he said the details are correct.
to all: once mr s kalyanaraman sang a very nice aarabi/naadasudaarasa and its neraval "veda puraanaagama" i said it was the best i hv heard so far and he said "you are unlucky- you should hv heard from
my master this song"
in a.vikatan abt 50 yrs before they were writing "Ivargal sandhithaal" - how the discn wud be .... I remember 3 articles.
shri
ariyakkudi and maharajapuram viswanaatha iyer
gnb and madhurai mani iyer
sivaji ganesan and mgr
-- abt GNB i wont forget one thing.
around 1955 he came to my native place (mannargudi) to gv a marriage concert. i was around 16 then. my
mother was telling me that gnb is his cousin visalam's son. it was enough. i went to the house where he was
resting and introdued myself. he first offered me the tiffin and said "it is longtime since i saw yr mother. will
you bring her to the concert". my mother generally wont go out and i said i wud be there with my father,as he
had already recd the invitation. we attended the concert. (a nice kamboji - i remember). before he was driven to kumbakonam to catch the train he came to our house and was sitting with my mother for a very longtime and chatting abt the old days and the accompanying artists (I think shri lalgudi & shri u.sivaraman) were
seeing their watches !. if i had known their greatness, i wud hv prostrated them min 3/4 times. i was a good singer (no learning sono sa pa sa). when they were leaving my mother asked him ifhe would take me (oh
poor mothers) and keep me as his sishya "ivanai un sishyanaa eduthukkiriya"?. he said that it is very competitive field, there are mny who are suffering in this field,let him qualify and get into some job and then
think of music field.
--
frm a sabha secretary i heard that once for a concert he was approached by someone, 1500 for him, 1000. gn for both violin and mridagam. gnb replied "give me 1000, give PMI 1000 and LJ 500. whn askd abt it he replied
PMI is a great artist, he deserves more and he wil make the concert a success. No wonder they just loved him.
-
Many a time, i cud see GNB in shri sanjay subramanyam.
--
Krishna gana sabha organised a send off party to GNB when he was to leave for Trivandrum (abt 63/64) many artists came and i remember shri veena balachander said "the gain to trivandrum is a loss to madras"
it was the last time we saw him in mds.
----

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

Great New Bhani (GNB)!! I have heard this from one of the most acclaimed musician.

Coming back to his compositions, I have seen a documentary in Doordarshan where Shri Semmangudi (SSI) talks for a few mins about Shri GNB.
Some of the excerpts from the documentary are as below:
1) GNB was an educated and intelligent man
2) GNB used to use variety of taalams in his concert
3) GNB used his education effectively to kindle creativity and innovation in his music
4) GNB never used to sing his own compositions in his concerts etc etc..
Finally SSI commented on GNB's compositions: Once SSI asked GNB as to why isn’t he singing his own compositions.GNB's response was "if the compositions had life, then they will be popularised by his sishyas and their sishyas".Today GNB's compositions are being sung by many many musicians and are popular. Thanks to GNB's family for publishing the compositions and making it available for the public.

Another amazing quality of GNB was not to leave any mudhra on his compositions. This shows his self confidence and selflessness.

However there was one exception of GNB NOT rendering his own composition: GNB once rendered the kriti - paramakripa sagari - yadukulakambodhi in one of his concerts. I have heard this song and it is a very good one .

GNB was one of the most successful concert musicians and I used to ponder on the influences of a composer (vagayakarar) in his concert delivery. I consider there were quite a few influences of a composer in his concerts especially in making many kritis looking stunningly brilliant, attractive & popular. GNB's pronuniciation when he delivered the kritis was amazing.
GNB has also introduced many new kritis all through his career and popularized many rare ragas (malavi, dhenuka, dakka etc). I believe GNB was the one who had set the chittaswarams for Swaminatha Paripalayamam - Nattai - Dikshitar.I also heard that GNB was responsible for the chittaswarams for sobillu - jaganmohini . Can anyone confirm the sobillu sapthaswara part please.

On the other hand GNB's compositions are so elegant because of his hands on experience in kriti delivery and handling so many kritis. The compositions bring out clearly the characteristics of the raga and the kritis are so meaningful. I heard from someone that he was not telugu literate , but has composed so many songs in telugu. I think Goddess Saraswati has blessed GNB with such great skills/talents.GNB is really a prodigy, genius etc etc..(may be we will run out of words here!).

I also believe that GNB used to scribble the verses/his thoughts in pieces of paper in the night and the next day the same will be compiled by his illustrious sishyas as a composition and they would do the notation for these compositions.
Can I request GBR to confirm this please?

Any comments on the vagayakarar's influences in his concert delivery and vice versa?

gbb

Post by gbb »

gnb composed many songs including few new innovations but there is no MUDHRA for each songs.He did not note down the compositins with him, but taught to their deciples on that day itself.He is to put the notations in one raga and thala simeltaniously.he never changed them from one to another. the first form itself will be fine.

gbb

Post by gbb »

according to his close associates, the number goes nearly 100 plus. but only 80 compositions are published and released so far.all the 3 books are available in Karnataka Book House in Chennai. if you want i can give all contact details. they are sending to overseas also.

gbb

Post by gbb »

The Karnataka Book center,No.14,Sripuram 1st. Street,Near Ajantha Hotel, Royapettah,Chennai. 600014,India. further inf. will be sent later.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

gbb sir:
Did tanjAvUr ShrI S kalyANarAman publish a book by himself other than the one he co-edited w/ ShrI TVR sir? The reason I ask is that Smt. S Bhagyalekshmy in her Index of 4000 Songs in Karnatic Music has mentioned some songs not published before and she credits ShrI kalyANaraman as the source for the info. Are the lyrics/audio for these available?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

gbb wrote:so far.all the 3 books are available in Karnataka Book House in Chennai. if you want i can give all contact details. they are sending to overseas also.
I did see the books on one shelf on my recent visit there about a month-and-a-half ago. They have quite a decent number of copies. Yes, they do ship internationally.

gbb

Post by gbb »

Thanks for Meena for the article about Sri.GNB and also for 2 others appeared about him. I would like to add some thing about one RTP in the raga SAHANA sung by him.The details are:
-GNB with Sri Lalgudi and Sri Mosaiah- a local Mrindangam player.
-Place- Nanjancode=a marriage concert.
-Tape used-a old one- the tapes were costly and not freely available at that time and they used to record again and again on it.May be the reason for the quality of the tape.
-the quality is very below average-with lot of disturbances and volume variations.Except for the Pallavi-it is audible.The Raga alapana,swaras and ragamaliga swaras were excellent.
-it was up loaded in Rasigapriya web site some time ago.
-I thought it was omitted to mention in the article.May be it was written long time ago.
This is for Sri GNBs rasikas information.
I would like to add some interesting things happend in his concerts for the sake of his rasikas interst some time later if they like to know.Awaiting for the response.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

gbb
GB Bhuvaneswaran ??
if yes , Welcome Sir !!
Welcome to the elder brother of GB Rajasekhar.
We all owe a lot to you and your family for the wonderful gifts of your fathers music, which we play here in this forum.We would be delighted to meet you at our next rasikas meet scheduled for March 18th.
We just fixed up the artist yesterday - more on that in the general section-GS Mani.
While describing a rare moment with Bade Ghulam Ali Khan and GNB , GS Mani recollected a 5 minute alapana of Andolika , sung for Bade saab, who was to sing a 40 minute version later in the evening.
" Ennamo Theriyale Appa, I have Listened to lots of masters in my day - many of them at close quarters- but somehow GNB used to make our blood race through our veins.this 5-minute alapana, as though he conjured up a diamond from his sleeve-like a magician-he effortlessly put it up for all of us to admire.
It was beyond description."
More on that story in the general section.
Welcome aboard !

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear All,
Only 3 books were published-one by Sri GNB himself under the name Gana Bhaskara Manimali-notations checked by late.Sri T R Balasubramaniam (i956) Second by late Sri G.B.Doraiswamy-notations by late Sri T S Kalyanaraman and Sri V Ramachandran (1971) 3rd by GNB Foundation 92005) along with re publications of book 1 & 2.I do not know about the other books.For your information Sri T S K is also a good composer. He had composed one Thillana in the Raga Ghavathi also.( I saw some one was asking about the thillana in ghavathy raga) Few days ago, I was requesting Ms. Bhushany Kalyanaraman to publish his compositions soon.i will also will be too happy to know the details of other books on this subject.Pl. share the information to us to verify the correcness of the information.If it is correct , we will try to get the full details and publish them also.
I am delighted to go through this web site and along with my brother GBR I will share all interesting news about our father Sri GNB with you all.Sri GBR is activly participating in all the discussions and I will also share what little I know.Hope Sri Coolkarny will help me if I need any tech. help me to up load certain audios etc.I will be in touch with him soon.
To start with,I will try to up load fathers-compositions-6 varnams -except Varali varnam-,new innovations(according to our knowledge) and Tamil songs ( up dated up to 30/09/06) compiled by Sri GBR and myself.( of course with Mr coolkarnis help). Best wishes to all of you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri GBB,
Welcome, and thank you for your generosity!

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

@srinivasasarma, I believe nandIsham vandE in rishabhapriyA is a composition of Dr.M.Balamuralikrishna, not G.N.B.

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear all,
I give below the contact details of Karnatic Music Book Center.
Tel-Chennai-28111716/28113253.
E mail- knbc@vsnl.net
web site-www.tkmbc.com.
I have already given the address of it.
I will try to upload certain sections of his compositions like new innovations, varnams 6 except Varali and his Tamil compositions -all by various artists.
Sri coolkarni Sir. Pl. be in touch with me when you are free ,so that I can give the recordings to you so that you can up load it here, on our behalf. All of them are ready with me now.
All up dated up to 30/09/06.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

When You are free...
I am reminded of a famous RK Laxman cartoon -
There is a foreign Dignitary , who at the end of his official visit has invited the Indian minister , to visit his country-in return.
As he is climbing into his aircraft, he can see the Indian Minister following him , rushing to get into the same aeroplane.

I am so tempted to drop everrything and rush to your house , right now.
But I will be a gentleman,Will drop in tomorrow.
:D

Oh !. The pains of collecting GNB in the early 80s.In trekked to a gentlemans home in Umapathy Street with a borrowed tape recorder and a meltrack tape to collect my free treasure of 45 minutes of glorious music , for the week. A feat I repeated-week after week- for 3 years to get some idea of our heritage.
If some angel had told me that some day you would be inviting me to collect such rare stuff , I would have laughed and waved the angel away.
Thanks Sir.On behalf of all of us.

And PLEASE call me only coolkarni."Cool" if you prefer that .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gbb sir,
Are you the same person who talked in one of the GNB day function that was held in IFA last year. On that day there was a concert of mambalam sisters and Trichur V Ramachandran.

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear All,

Sri Rajeshnat- I am not.I only spoke about my father few years back in one of Carnaticas function.
Sri. Cool-Thanks for the nice response.Pl. call me before coming to my house since I will be going out regularly.
I am thinking of uploading some speeches about fathers music by varous artists.This because our members interes in knowing more about him.
Hope our members will like it
Bhuvan.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

gbb wrote:I am thinking of uploading some speeches about fathers music by varous artists.This because our members interes in knowing more about him.
Hope our members will like it
Bhuvan.
Absolutely - we will love it. So please do so at your convenience.

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

In addition to so many great qualities of GNB which we relish, the most remarkable one was his selection of neraval at unusual places of the popular songs. In Sri Subramanyaya Namasthe(Kambodhi), if all the stawarts selected- vAsavAdi sakala, GNB used to select "thApathraya ". In nidhichala (kalyani), mamatha bandhanyutha is the popular choice, where as GNB used to select "sumathi thyagaraja". These choices made the popular songs with GNB stamp which was unique.

In brocheva revuraura ( kamach, Mysore Vasudevachar), he never used to sing the popular CHITTA SWARA, but making the song so enjoyable with GNB baani.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 28 Feb 2007, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

vs_manjunath wrote:In addition to so many great qualities of GNB which we relish, the most remarkable one was his selection of neraval at unusual places of the popular songs. In Sri Subramanyaya Namasthe(Kambodhi), if all the stawarts selected- vAsavAdi sakala, GNB used to select "thApathraya ". In nidhichala (kalyani), mamatha bandhanyutha is the popular choice, where as GNB used to select "sumathi thyagaraja". These choices made the popular songs with GNB stamp which was unique.

In brocheva revuraura ( kamach, Mysore Vasudevachar), he never used to sing the popular CHITTA SWARA, but making the song so enjoyable with GNB baani.
I would add - in Meenakshi(Purvikalyani) vidhuviDambana

prashant

Post by prashant »

Sri GNB composed a varALi varNa??? Wow. Details, please! :-)

rasam

Post by rasam »

Can someone post any recording of varali by GNB? I haven't heard the maestro sing varali at all :(

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear All,
We were told that Sri GNB used to sing ragas and keerthanas in Ranjani( Dhunmargasadha),Dhayasi (Paradevde) and Varali etc.But later days(when recording facilities came)he never sang many of them.
In our recordings-tapes-there is one Varali raga in one of the slokams only.Tha Varali Varnam notation was published only recently(book.3) and we have not got any recording so far.With t help he help of Mr Cool,I will try to fulfil the desires of the members slowly.It will take some time. Pl. bear with us.
Bhuvan. 28/02/07.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

And while we wait (with enormous patience...:-)), take some time to watch and listen to MLV's rendition of ninnuvinA (rItigauLa), a composition of GNB, extracted from Sangeethapriya and uploaded to YouTube by a rasika:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AnJJVPCEfr8
Last edited by kmrasika on 03 Mar 2007, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kmrasika wrote:take some time to watch and listen to MLV's rendition of ninnuvinA (rItigauLa), a composition of GNB,
I have not played this clip as Youtube does not work well for me. But if the song is "ninnivinA marigaladA", that is SyAmA SAStri's composition. (Sung in rItigauLa as well as abhEri(Old) by some schools)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

DRS
There is one by GNB too.Trichur Ramchandran has sung it in a commercial album.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks Cool.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the song by GNB:

ninnu vinA vErE gati. rAgA: rItigauLa. Adi tALA.

P: ninnu vinA vErE gati evarammA nikhila lOka janani
A: vinutuni pAlince birudu vahincina anupama karuNAkari nIvE gAdA
C: nannu marace nIku meragAdammA tanayuni talli mari evaru brOcutunu
munu jEsina neramEmO teliya tanuja vairi hrtkamala nivAsini

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ShrI gbb and gbrajasekar sirs:

The following compositions are mentioned by Smt Bhagyalekshmy as ShrI GNB's compositions. I omitted the ones that have appeared in print and hopefully you can shed light whether these are indedd your fathers' works. As I mentioned before she attributes ShrI S kalyANarAman as her source.

inta tAmasa - kannaDa - rUpakam
inta parAkEla - janaranjani - rUpakam
innamum EnO dhEnukA - Adi
unpukazhalE nAn - yadukula khAmbhOji - Adi
ettanai nAL inda - yadukula khAmbhOji - Adi
kuRai tIrkka - vardhani - Adi
ShArangadhara - sAranga - rUpakam
tALatuva - bhairavi - rUpakam
nannu brOcEvA - sahAnA - Adi
nAyeDa - bEgaDA - miShracApu
nirupama suguNa - kEdAra gauLa - Adi
ninnADE - kannaDa - Adi
ninnE nammi - mukhAri - Adi
nIpAdamulanu - sahAnA - Adi
nI manasu - hindOLam - ?
nIvE gAdA? - nIlAmbari - Adi
nEgati nIvE - kiraNAvaLi - Adi
padasArasamulu - khAmbhOji - Adi
paramEShvari - kamAs - rUpakam
bhavapAdalu - khAmbhOji - Adi
perumaiyai - hindOLa vasantam - Adi
mAmava mAtangi - rItigauLa - rUpakam
yAr ennai - dhanyAsi - Adi
rArarAjEshvari - bhairavi - Adi
vikasita pUrNa - pUrNacandrikA - Adi
ShrI vijaya - vijayanAgari - Adi

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear KMRASIKA and All,
Thanks for the mail.As we have said earlier,there is no records with us to verify them.
I am trying to get the full details of Githajali Art & Printers location, their contact information etc.Few days before,while I was talking to Ms Bhushny Kalyanaraman about these things,she said that from available records with her,she could not confirm about the correctness of the information.Sri G.N Balakrishnan, younger brother of Sri GNB, also could not confirm the information.If we are able to get the lyrics,notations etc,I can easily get it confirmed by , Sri T S Balasubramanim, the seniormost deciple who can identify and confirm them to some extend.Pl. help us to get the details of the sources of the information.We will be too happy to help you all,more so our family.
Sorry we could not help you on this at present.
Bhuvan. 06/03/07.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Shri gbb Sir: The 1000 kriti index is published by CBH Publications. Their webpage: http://www.geocities.com/cbhpub/ and e-mail: cbhpub@vsnl.com. You might be able to get a hold of Smt Bhagyalekshmy through them.

Your father has a few students unknown to rasikas. One of them is A Srinivasan Raghavan, son of late Sanskrit and vaishNava scholar ShrI Aravamudachariar, one of the few vidwans who give 3 - 4 hour long concerts. Smts. rAdhA and jayalakshmi (disciples of TR bAlu, disciple of GNB) could be a good source on the compositions of GNB.
Last edited by kmrasika on 08 Mar 2007, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

I heard that Smts. rAdhA and jayalakshmi was actively involved in the release of the third volume of GNB Compositions.

Shri GBB Sir, Can you confirm please.

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear All,
Thanks for the input. I will see the web site and contact them through the mail.

Radha & Jayalakshmi were in no way connected to any of the 3 Books released.They rareIy move with us. I had been to their house few times in Saidapet before the publication of the 3rd Book to ascertain that some compositions may be with them.So that we can include them in the Book.. But they said that they have no unpublished songs with them.I have explored all the available sources at my level before the 3 Book was published.

I know Sri Srinivasa Raghavan.I think I met him in the GNB Foundation Inaguration Function last time.I think he is living near Mahalingapuram.Recently I have not seen him.

Bhuvan. 08/03/07.

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

Thanks Sri GBB sir for the clarification.

gbb

Post by gbb »

Dear cmfan and All,
We have ordered the book-list of songs- here and will be getting it in few days time. Only after verifying the source of the information about the songs,we can contact them and get all possible information about fathers songs.Pl. bear with us for some more time till we gather the information.We will give all the information to you all as soon as possible.
Bhuvan. 10/03/07.

gb

Post by gb »

Hi If someone has the song Sada palaya sung by the prince charming himself can you please post

mohan

Post by mohan »

GNB rarely sang his compositions. I haven't heard of Sri GNB singing sadA pAlaya but he has sung paramakripa sAgari in yadukula kambhoji in a concert. Trichur Ramachandran sings sadA pAlaya quite often and it is available on his album of GNB krithis also.