Lyrics - Inta Paraka, Vilayada Idu, Thanthai thai etc

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
siddarthcs

Post by siddarthcs »

1. Aruna Sairams Abhangs
2. Intha Parakha Nee- MAyAmAlawagowlai
3. Vilayada idu nerama
4. Thandhai Thaai Irundhaal
5. Basant Bahar Thillana- Maharajapuram

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

inta parAkA. rAgA: nAdanAmakriyA. rUpaka tALA. Composer: Anai Ayya.

P: inta parAkA nIkinta parAkA nI veDaliki balukuTaku gAni veduTaniliki
A: santatamu shiva smaraNa vasantamu mADi morabeTTina
C: kannatalli taNDri sujanulanna tammu sati sutulE anniyu
nEmaraci cinna nATi modalu kOru cunna umAdAsunipai

viLaiyADa idu nEramA. rAgA: SaNmukhapriyA. Adi tALA. Composer: T.N.Bala.

P: viLaiyADa idu nEramA murugA en vinaiyAlE paDum pADu tanai sholla varum pOdu
A: kaLaittEn janmam eDuttu shaLaittEn porushirandu uLamADa unai nADi unai pADa
C: puriyAda pudirO nI ariyAda kalaiyO parihAsamO en mEl paritApam illaiyO
viruttOgai mayil mIdu varuvAi enredir pArtta vaLLi mElE vizhi vaittu vazhi pArtu varum pOdu

tandai tAi. rAgA: mukhAri /SaNmukhapriyA. cApu tALA. Composer: Gopalakrishna Bharati.

P: tandai tAi irundAl ivvulagattil umakkinda tAzhvellAm varumO ayyA
A: andamil naTam sheyyum ambalavANarE arumaiyAghavE peTru orumaiyuDan vaLartta
C1: kallAl oruvan kaDindaDikka uDal padaikka kAlin seruppAl oru vEDan edirttudaikka
villinAl oruvan vandaDikka umadu tirumEni ennamAi nondadO ayyA oru
2: kUsAmal iDaiyan kaik-kODAriyAl veTTak-kUTTattil oruvan pittA pEyA enat-tiTTa
vIsi madurai mAran pirambAl aDikka anda vELai yArai ninaindIrO ayyA oru
3: shIlamillAdoru peN kAriyumizhalAccE sErndavaLum talai mIdEra eLidAip-pOccE
bAlakrSNan idaip-pArkkum paDiyAccE pAl arugilengaNum pArkkil iduvE pEccE

tom dhru dhru (tillAnA). rAgA: basantbahAr. Adi tALA. Composer: Maharajapuram Santhanam.

P: tom dhru dhru tAni tadara tAni tana dhiranA dhru dhru
tOm dhru dhru tAni tadara tAni tana dhiranA dhiranA dhru dhru
tOm dhru dhru tAni tadara tAni tana dhiranA dhiranA dhiranA dhiranA dhru dhru
A: jhaNuta dhIm ta jhaNuta dhIm ta jhaNuta dhIm taka tana dhiranA
jhaNuta dhIm taka jhaNuta dhIm taka jhaNuta dhIm taka tana dhiranA
jhaNuta dhIm takiTa jhaNuta dhIm jhaNu jhaNuta dhIm jhaNu tana dhiranA
udara tAni tadara tAni takundari tajjhaNutaka dhIm taka jhaNutaka dhIm taka jhaNutaka dhIm
C: kaliyugam tannil kaN kaNDa daivam kali tIrkkum kAnci mAmuniyE
salikkum manadai oru nilaikkuL niruttavum un sannadhiyai nAn nADi vandEn
kaDaikkaN pArvaiyAl kaDaiyan ennaiyE kAttaruL sheyyum karuNai daivamE
aDaikkalam enru unran tiruvaDi tanil maharAjan pADi nidam paNindiDuvEn (twice)
tAm takiTajham ma dha pa gA takiTajham ta tam sa mA ni dhA tatam
takuTa dhimita dhimita taLAngu taritiku tillAnA tillAnA taka dhimita takiTa tOm
tatam taka dhimita takiTa tOm taka takiTa tom dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhIm
tom dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhIm tom dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhru dhIm

siddarthcs

Post by siddarthcs »

thanks a lot lakshman...

lahanirudh

Post by lahanirudh »

can anyone send me the carnatics songs of sudha,unni krishnan and m.s. in real format

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Can any one send me the Tamil version of "Thandai Tai Irundhaal". Tamil version will make me understand the exact words before understanding the story behind that. Actually, I don't get the story for the following:

Kallal oruvan KanDindadikka- (Hitting Siva with a stone)
Kalil Seruppal oruvan edirtuDaikka- (Is it Kannappa Nayanar ...?)
Villinaal oruvan vandadikka- (Hitting siva with Bow)

If it is already discussed in GKB section, please tell me.
Last edited by grsastrigal on 13 Jul 2007, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Listen to thanthai thai irundal in

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~harihara ... ukhari.MP3

I always thought this song is in shanmukhapriya, until very recently when was recearching on Mukhari!!

I would like to hear story lines in this song. There are lot of stories in each line in Anupallavi, Charanam... Can some noble soul help in this regard?

-hari

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I remember the authorship of this song was in question some time ago. Some contend it is by ponniah piLLai (the descendent of the Tanjore Quartet) and others, GKB. Nonetheless, it is a nice composition. I think grsastrigals interpretation of the background story seems corect as the inferences to the story seem to be clear.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

I remember Mahakavi had written an article in chennaionline on this song too - you cd read that for all the stories.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

If you listen to NCV sing a version of this song, the villAl oruvan aDikka is embellished as gAnDIvam ennum villAl oruvan aDikka - once when arjun (the owner of gANDIv) was in meditation doing penance to please SivA, he is disturbed by a wild boar. Arjun tries to kill it, when a hunter and his wife appear on the scene and demand that he not kill the boar, because they have chased it all day long, and the shikAr is rightfully theirs. Arjun doesn't pay heed to this and kills the boar anyway. This leads to a fight with the hunter, during the course of which, arjun is amazed to see that his 'powerful' arrows have no effect on the hunter, and finally, he tries to beat him with his bow. When everything fails and he wonders who this amazing hunter is, the hunter and his wife reveal themselves as SivA and pArvatI.

You are correct about the kaNNappan story.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grsastrigal:
kallAl oruvan aDikka ---> refers to sAkkiya nAyanAr (originally a buddhist) who converted to shaivism and used to worship Lord Shiva by throwing stones at the lingam every time he passed a shrine. For such unique form of worship he was honored.

villAl oruvan adikka-----> refers to the krAtArjunIyam episode (Siva and Arjun duelling as hunters)

kAl seruppu ---> kaNNappa nAyanAr episode.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

kmrasika:
The authorship of "tandai tAY..." song is ascribed to GKB by one Dr. Pasupati of Toronto based on a book published by Annamalai University. Even Lakshman thought it was by Ponnaiah Pillai until recently. There is an extra caraNam in the song where the mudra bAlakrishNan is found which indicates it is by GKB.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Mahakavi- You are like Somu. Never failed to amuse me. Please help me with the rest.

Second SaraNam

1) Koosamal- I forgot the story. One Temple in which we can see the Scar on Lingam because of this... Is this the same story..
2) Koottathil- Must be Sundarar.
3) Veesi Madurai MaRan- Pittukku maN sumandha Kadhai..

The next SaraNam is very interesting

1) Seelamilladhoru- (Lady spitting on Shiva was unheard.....what is this story)
2) Ganga...on the Head..

In the Anupalavi- the first word - "Andhamil". what does it mean ?
Last edited by grsastrigal on 14 Jul 2007, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

grsastrigal wrote:1) Koosamal- I forgot the story. One Temple in which we can see the Scar on Lingam because of this... Is this the same story.
The Lord vaidyESvara of talakADu appeared as a tree. A man hit the tree with an axe and the tree started bleeding profusely. The Lord healed himself from the juice of his leaves (applied by the man).
In this context andamil means eternal/endless.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grsastrigal wrote:Mahakavi- You are like Somu. Never failed to amuse me. Please help me with the rest.

Second SaraNam

1) Koosamal- I forgot the story. One Temple in which we can see the Scar on Lingam because of this... Is this the same story..
2) Koottathil- Must be Sundarar.
3) Veesi Madurai MaRan- Pittukku maN sumandha Kadhai..

The next SaraNam is very interesting

1) Seelamilladhoru- (Lady spitting on Shiva was unheard.....what is this story)
2) Ganga...on the Head..

grsastrigal:
Read the contents of the following URL for an account on eRipatta nAyanAr and pugazh cOzha nAyanAr. eRipattar used a battle axe (kai kODAli) to destroy anything/anybody which/who makes any attempts to harm the servitors of Lord Shiva.
http://www.shaivam.org/naeripat.html

I am not sure if this episode has any connection with the scar on the lingam.

When the Lord, in the guise of an old brahmin, proclaimed Sundarar to be his slave and stopped his wedding, Sundarar abused him as "pittA" (mad man). Later on when Sundarar followed him as his slave he asked the Lord what shall he start with in singing his praise. the Lord told him to start with the word of abuse he used, "pittA". That was the first song Sundarar sang, "pittA piRai sUDi perumAnE aruLALA"

The king Madurai mARan caned Him for goofing off on the job of helping dam the river vaigai when it was in spate.

As for the lady who spit on the lingam, it was the wife of a servitor of the Lord called nIlanakkar. She followed her husband wherever he went to do the pUjai. One time a spider fell on the lingam. She was gripped with fear (for the harm it may do to the lingam!) and blew on the spider to make it go away. The husband thought she was defiling the Lord by spitting on the lingam. He discarded her for such a sacriligious act. The Lord appeared in his dreams that night and showed the blisters all over His body except on the spot where the wife blew. I will let you imagine what happened next.....

(The aNDa migunda that I used before is not valid.)

Finally, am I "amusing" you grs or "informing " you?
Last edited by mahakavi on 14 Jul 2007, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, andam+illAda (not having any end), eternal

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The following is the shortened version of the song located in karnaTik.com
Here the anupallavi has "anda migunda". Notice the other change "perumaiyuDan". Lakshman may clarify the difference between this and the other version. Perhaps he contributed both versions. The authorship for this song at this site is given as ponnaiAh piLLai
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/c1161.html

pallavi

tandai tAi irundAl ulagattil umakkinda tAzhvellAm varumO ayyA (petra)
(tandai)

anupallavi

anda migunda shrI ambala vANarE arumaiyuDamnE petru perumaiyuDan vaLartta
(tandai)

caraNam

kallAl oruvan aDikka uDal shilirkka kAlin sheruppAl oru vEDan vandE udaikka
villAl oruvan aDikka (gANDhibhamenum) kUshAmal oruvan kai kODAlyAl veTTa
kUTTattil oruvan pittA pEyA ena tiTTa vIshi madurai mAran pirambAl aDikka
anda vELai yArai ninaindIrO ayyA
(tandai)

arasi

Post by arasi »

'andam' in this instance is 'azhagu' (beauty); migunda= full of, which makes it 'most beautiful'.

arasi

Post by arasi »

As in 'andam migunda SrI ambalavANarE'
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jul 2007, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The two versions differ so much in the words (replacement as well as additions). Which is the correct version, Lakshman?

The karnaTik.com site does not follow the proper transliteration (in Roman script) for various words, especially when it comes to Thamizh songs.
Last edited by mahakavi on 14 Jul 2007, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Yes arasi. anDam wont fit the prAsa bill. andam migunda is fine, as is andamil.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The lyrics at Karnatik.com is from the song that NCV made famous. Yes, I did believe for a long time that the song was by Sangita kalanidhi Ponniah Pillai. The editor of Sruti magazine confirmed this at that time.
Later on I came across the complete song, through my good friend Dr.S.Pasupathy, in one of the volumes of Tamizh Isai Padalgal. I am sure that this version is the correct one.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Thanks, Lakshman. Transcribing from a recorded version entails some errors not to speak of the person rendering it with less than perfect fidelity. You may replace the new version with the one in karnATik.com so that those who scan that site may also benefit. Back in 2004 that was the version I followed.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

>>pAl arugilengaNum pArkkil iduvE pEccE<<

When I hear the song (sangeethapriya URL) I hear it as:
pArulagil engaNum pArkkil iduvE pEccE

I don't get the meaning for "pAl arugil". However, "pAr" means the world and "pArulagil" is tautological since "pAr" and "ulagu" mean the same. Does anybody (Rajani?) want to take a stab at this?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Tautology can be found in poetry and lyrics--for emphasis and as fillers, just as they are found in every day conversation for emphasis...
Last edited by arasi on 15 Jul 2007, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

First time, you listen to that, it is sarcastic and second time, knowing the meaning, we can see the beauty of this song and GKB (or PPs) "kavithvam". Bhakthi through sarcastic lyrics are rarely found.

I remember a similar song in "SIVAKAVI" where MKT, in order to show his unquestionable Bhakthi on Shiva, he degrades "Murugan". This song is in chencurutti. His briga is amazing.

"VaLLalai Padum Vaayaal, aRu thalai PiLLaiyai Paduveno" (I wil not sing this six-headed Murugan, while singing the generous "Shiva".)

Can any one tell me the composer of this song and some more details !!!!

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

வள்ளலைப் பாடும் வாயால் - அறுதலைப்
பிள்ளையைப் பாடுவேனோ
வெள்ளிமலை வள்ளலைப் பாடும் வாயால்
அறுதலைப் பிள்ளையைப் பாடுவேனோ
எந்தன் சுவாமியைப் பாடும் வாயால்
தகப்பன் சாமியைப் பாடுவேனோ
அப்பனைப் பாடும் வாயால் ஆண்டி
சுப்பனைப் பாடுவேனோ
வள்ளியின் கண் வலை வீசிய வேடன்
கள்வனைப் பாடுவேனோ
அம்பிகைபாகன் என்னும்
அகண்ட சுயம்புவைப் பாடும் வாயால்
தும்பிக்கையான் தயவால் மணம் பெறும்
தம்பியைப் பாடுவேனோ

vaLLalaip pADum vAyAl - aRutalaip piLLaiyaip pADuvEnO
veLLimalai vaLLalaip pADum vAyAl aRutalaip piLLaiyaip pADuvEnO
endan suvAmiyaip pADum vAyAl tagappan sAmiyaip pADuvEnO
appanaip pADum vAyAl ANDi suppanaip pADuvEnO
vaLLiyin kaN valai vIsiya vEDan kaLvanaip pADuvEnO
ambigaippAgan ennum agaNDa suyambuvaip pADum vAyAl
tumbikkaiyAn dayavAl maNam peRum tambiyaip pADuvEnO

http://www.treasurehouseofagathiyar.net/21100/21157.htm

IMHO for 'vaLLiyin' it should 'vaLLiyaik'

Who is the lyricist?
Last edited by vgvindan on 15 Jul 2007, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The song is by Papanasham Shivan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A film song from Sivakavi. The man's exclusive faith in SivA prompts him to deride murugan...

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I rather feel that the character is very devoted to Lord murugan; but he is, for some reason, very angry with the Lord; therefore, he makes a nindA stuti.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I am not sure about it but I have a feeling he changed his mind as the story ends...

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Arasi is right. His devotion to Shiva makes him not to accept any other God. End of the film, he changes his mind.. The all time famous song- "Swappana (or Soppana) Vazhvil Magizhndeer, Subramanya Swamy thanai Marandhaar" comes in recognition of the same.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Iam surprised by one fact- Is this written by Papanasam Sivan for this film ? (Situation song) Normally, his songs are used in the film. For ex: Amba Manamgizhndunadhu (Again Sivakavi) and some songs in Meera also. Anyone, any idea ?

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grsastrigal wrote:Iam surprised by one fact- Is this written by Papanasam Sivan for this film ? (Situation song) Normally, his songs are used in the film. For ex: Amba Manamgizhndunadhu (Again Sivakavi) and some songs in Meera also. Anyone, any idea ?
Yes, the songs in Sivakavi were written by P. Sivan. (soppana vAzhvil, nATTiyakkalaiyE, ambA manam kanindunadu kaDaikkaN pAr). The movie was made by Pakshiraja Films. Music Director: G. Ramanathan.
Source: Golden Voices of M K T. Cassette SFHV 847214

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I am reviving this old thread because I found the complete lyrics for the song written by Sangita Kalanidhi K.Ponniah Pillai. I am also giving the lyrics of the same song by G.K.Bharati.
The song that NCV sang has a mixutre of words from two caraNAs of the GKB version.

tandai tAi. rAgA: mukhAri. cApu tALA. Composer : Sangita kalanidhi K.Ponniah Pillai. (from the book Raja Annamalai tamizhisai karuvoolam by K.Ponniah PiLLai, tamizhisai series volume XVIII, published by Annamalai
University, 1949 edition)

P: tandai tAi irundAl ivvulagattil umakkindat-tAzhvellAm varumO ayyA
A: anda mighum oTriyUr naTana tyAgarAjarE arumaiyAgavE peTrup-
perumaiyuDan vaLartta
C1: kUsiDadoruvan kaik-kODAriyAl veTTak-kUTTattil oruvan pittA pEyA
enat-tiTTa vIsi madurai mAran pirambAl aDikka anda vELai tani yArai ninaindIrO ayyA
2: kallAl oruvan kaDindaDikka uDal padaikka kAlin seuppAl oru vEDan edirttudaikka villAl oruvan uandummai viraTTi aikka tirumEni eppaDi nondadO ayyA
3: sIlam eNNAdoru peN kAriyumizhalAccE sErndavaLun talaimIdEra
eLidAip-pOccE bAlasubramania vElavan tanai Inra vasanta tyAgarAjarE ayyO oru

tandai tAi. rAgA: mukhAri /SaNmukhapriyA. cApu tALA. Composer: G.K.Bharati.

P: tandai tAi irundAl ivvulagattil umakkinda tAzhvellAm varumO ayyA
A: andamil naTam sheyyum ambalavANarE arumaiyAghavE peTru orumaiyuDan vaLartta
C1: kallAl oruvan kaDindaDikka uDal padaikka kAlin seruppAl oru vEDan edirttudaikka
villinAl oruvan vandaDikka umadu tirumEni ennamAi nondadO ayyA oru
2: kUsAmal iDaiyan kaik-kODAriyAl veTTak-kUTTattil oruvan pittA pEyA enat-tiTTa
vIsi madurai mAran pirambAl aDikka anda vELai yArai ninaindIrO ayyA oru
3: shIlamillAdoru peN kAriyumizhalAccE sErndavaLum talai mIdEra eLidAip-pOccE
bAlakrSNan idaip-pArkkum paDiyAccE pAl arugilengaNum pArkkil iduvE pEccE

cacm

Post by cacm »

mahakavi wrote:
grsastrigal wrote:Iam surprised by one fact- Is this written by Papanasam Sivan for this film ? (Situation song) Normally, his songs are used in the film. For ex: Amba Manamgizhndunadhu (Again Sivakavi) and some songs in Meera also. Anyone, any idea ?
Yes, the songs in Sivakavi were written by P. Sivan. (soppana vAzhvil, nATTiyakkalaiyE, ambA manam kanindunadu kaDaikkaN pAr). The movie was made by Pakshiraja Films. Music Director: G. Ramanathan.
Source: Golden Voices of M K T. Cassette SFHV 847214
Sri.M.K.Thyagaraja Bhagavathar had a clause in his contract that any film in which he acted the music has to be composed by Papanasam Sivan. We should be ETERNALLY grateful & thankful to M.K.T. not just for his renderings. His foresight in realizing the greatness of Sivan has enabled us to not just listen to his creative outpourings but kept his genius preserved for posterity. Every one of them is a Gem that shows how to compose a song using Carnatic music exclusively and delienate the RAGAS perfectly. A TRUE education for anyone! vkv