ShlOkA help-jananI yasya

History, religion and culture
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I picked out the following ShlOkA for vinAyaka caturthI and able to make out meaning of the words but am a little confused on its wholesome inference. Wondered if someone could clarify.

jananI yasya vai bAlA janakO bhishajAM patiH |
mAtulO yasya vai ShrImAn sakhyAtOttara vibhurmama ||

Also, I was wondering whether someone could clarify the reason for the repulsion of tuLasI for vinAyaka (except on the caturthI festival) correspondingly dEvI's against arugam pul.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Where are the words from? I have some doubts.

He Whose mother is a girl(bAlA); He Whose father is---?;
He Whose uncle is a rcih man: Such a---- is a friend(?) of mine.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I think the father could be referred to as (bhikShuka meaning mendicant. Or as bhiShaj/bhEShaja meaning remedy/doctor).

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Drshrikaanth:

Thank you for your explanation on the ShlOkA and sorry I did not thank you for this earlier. After some thought, I wondered whether the word, "sakhya" is in the reference to theone of the navavidha bhakti scheme(which makes sense). As for the uncle, a rich man would allude to one who the paragon of virtues (vishNu is the Supreme purusha). By common knowledge, kubEra is the only figure who is wealthy(as he is in charge of the navanidhis) but has no relation to gaNapati. To fit our understanding, thence ShrImAn must be referring to vishNu, the Lord of lakshmi(as the name appears in the sahasranAma).

I am not sure of the origin of this ShlOkA but venture it's probably from one of the purANAs pertaining to gaNESha, i.e. vinAyaka, bhavishyOttara or mudgala.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Yes, the uncle is SrIpati- viShNu. No doubts there (SrIkAntO mAtulO yasya).
As for his father being a doctor, it could be referring to him being bhavarOga hara". It would help to have to have the correct wods.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
In one of the temples in Madras (Tiruvanmiyur, to be specific) Siva is worshipped as 'marundISwarar' and he is also 'vaidyanAthaswami' at vaidISwaran koil (the angAraka sthalam)...so that could be the reference to his being a doctor or 'vaidiyar'.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I guess the shloka should be
jananI yasya vai bAlA janakO bhishajAM patiH |
mAtulO yasya vai ShrImAn sakhyOttAra vibhOmama ||

so that the chandas is correct!
Basically DRS ans shankar have covered the meanings. There is nothing wrong and the meaning is clear.
' O mighty one (vibhO) friendly lift me up to excellence (mama sakhya uttAra); (you whose) mother is truly bAlA (well-known avatara of Parvati), whose father is the leader of medics (Siva is the medicineman (note the well known epithet 'bhiShak' for siva))and whose uncle is the husband of lakShmi (vishnu)'

Yes indeed shankar at vaitheeshvaran koil Siva is incarnated as the leader of all 'physicians'!

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Siva is being referred to as Bhishaja in Dakshinamurthy stotram, written by Sri Aadishankara.

Guravae sarva lokaanam Bhishaje Bhavaroginaam
Nidhaye Sarva Vidyaanaam Sri Dakshinamurtaye Namaha

(Guru of all worlds, who cures (bhishaja) the attachments in this world, treasure of all vidyas, I bow to Sri Dakshinamurthy).

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover wrote:so that the chandas is correct!
Indeed!! ;)

The reference to ISvara as a doctor here is a general one, I dont think it is a reference to any particular deity, Vaitheeswarankoil or otherwise.

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

Here is a shloka that was recited repeatedly during 'Uma-Maheshwari' pooja.

Om hrim yOginIm yOginIm yOgeshwarIm yOgabhayankarIm
sakala sthAvara jangamasya mughahrudayam mamavasham
Agarshaya Agarshaya swAhA

Could anyone please provide the meaning for the above?

Thanks,
Anusha

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

Thanks a lot

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

since the mother is bala the father has to be vaideesa(the consort of shiva in vaideeswaran koil is balambika(balaambkikeSa vaideeSa bhava roga hareti ca),Siva is the bheshajam(medicine) for the disease called bhava or birth.may be the Sloka is addressed to ganeSa in vaideeSwaran koil(i don't know if there is a sannidhi for ganesa there).it can equally apply to muthukumaraswamy of vaideeswaran koli,i guess.