Single Transliteration Scheme for all CM Languages - Part 2

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
arunk

Post by arunk »

what is strange is that if my page selected Akshar Unicode, and I let firefox let the page pick the font, then no cillu for man and maL. But if I let firefox choose the same Akshar Unicode and let it override what the page picked (so should really not make a difference), then i get cillus for all!

Arun

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

'Case of the missing chillus' indeed...:-)

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Arun,
Which is your website?

arunk

Post by arunk »

vgv - pl. check the very first post on this thread.

note: malayalam support is NOT there on the website (yet)

Also, when i type this post - i see that the server is down and so the website is inaccessible.
Last edited by arunk on 23 Feb 2007, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arun, I mentioned about your program to a friend of mine. He wants his kids to use this. They know some telugu but can not write the script. Initially he wants them to use this to write letters to their grandma in Telugu with the hope that this will get them on the path to learn the script over time. One question: Does the text go to the server or everything stays at the client? Thanks.

arunk

Post by arunk »

vk - everything stays on the client. So no worries about personal info going out on the open.

If and when I add 'save' feature, then using save may go to the server (and immediately come back), but anyway there is no such feature now.

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

The save feature will be very useful... since I always edit while looking at the script..
so I don't have to cut and paste my work elsewhere when done.

vasanthakokilam

Arun, thanks.

arunk

Post by arunk »

suji - ok.

How do you want the save to be?
1. Save the original text + what languages etc. (as HTML) so that you can load it in the browser into the editor, and edit the original text
2. Save the printable view as a HTML (so that you can view it again and print)
3. Both
4. Any other?

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arunk wrote:suji - ok.

How do you want the save to be?
1. Save the original text + what languages etc. (as HTML) so that you can load it in the browser into the editor, and edit the original text
2. Save the printable view as a HTML (so that you can view it again and print)
3. Both
4. Any other?

Arun
You gave the option for both... go for 3.
Thanks

BTW when is the notation editor coming up ? no pressure though..

arunk

Post by arunk »

ok. I will have to think about how to do it. Shouldnt be that big a deal.

Notation editor - i am indeed working on it. Made good progress but still a few major things before it is even what they call "feature complete". I

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk

Is there any problem with the transliteration engine?Fonts seemed to be messed up when I tried something yesterday..

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

i havent updated anything in a few weeks. I checked the website and Feb 22 was the last change. Is this the first time you are trying after that? If not, i am not sure what is going on. Anything on your computer that got changed that you know of?

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 18 Mar 2007, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arun,

When I export to docuwiki format, and then try to bold any line, the subscripts for tamizh do not appear, but I see the tags directly!

For an example take a look at http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/yare-rangana

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

i think that (unfortunately) would be a limitation of the DokuWiki system - that the bold tag cannot enclose a super-script tag.

What we could try is bolden the text that is not super-scripted - instead of **பா<sup>4</sup>வ** (which doesnt work), try **பா**<sup>4</sup>**வ**.

I can see if I can generate this automatically for emboldened text in the editor which has superscripts.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramakriya,

i have uploaded a fix that works around this problem. This seems like a bug in DokuWiki as superscript tag works inside italic and underline - it has problem only with bold (besides headings).

Let me know if this works. Note however that if you use headings superscripts wont work. As long as you are sticking to just bold, italic and underline, it should be ok (barring bugs i introduced inadvertently)

Arun

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

This page from Microsoft Bhasha has the following free downloadable tools for
Indic Language Computing,

Indic IME 1 v 5.0 for Bengali, Hindi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil

Indic IME for Marathi, Telugu

and other free downloadable tools.

vasanthakokilam

Thanjavur: When I clicked on the link at that page to download an IME, it took me through some .NET Passport sign up, Windows Live etc.. There was also an alert about 'Map Network drive....'. Since all of that did not feel right, I quit out of that download. Did you go through all that without any problems? I will follow once you blaze the trail ;)

meena

Post by meena »

VK
try this DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Meena.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Thanjavur: When I clicked on the link at that page to download an IME, it took me through some .NET Passport sign up, Windows Live etc.. There was also an alert about 'Map Network drive....'. Since all of that did not feel right, I quit out of that download. Did you go through all that without any problems? I will follow once you blaze the trail ;)
You can create a Passport login in order to download these. I already had
a Passport login account. These downloads work everywhere on Windows
(notepad, word, ...)

I downloaded ClearType Tuning Control Panel Applet, Microsoft Keyboard
Layout Creator 1.4, Tamil Indic IME 1 v 5.0
Last edited by thanjavur on 12 May 2007, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Thanks Meena.

The other extensions (addons) I use are AdBlock, FlashBlock,
googlebar (from http://googlebar.mozdev.org/), IETab,
PrintPreview, QuickJava, WebDeveloper, zoomFox, FireFTP,
FasterFox
Last edited by thanjavur on 12 May 2007, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

A Visual Basic Software for following Transliterations along with connected 'Readme' file and blank text files are available for free supply as a zipped file (size 20kb). This is not a .exe file right now; it can be converted so after all possible modifications are completed.

Transliterations Schemes

(1) Iscii (CDAC - iLeap) to Ascii - Haravard Kyoto convention English (HKEnglish), Tamil and Devanagari

(2) HKEnglish to Unicode of Devanagari, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam

(3) Devanagari (Unicode) - to Unicode Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam

(4) Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam Unicode to Devanagari Unicode

The advantage of HKEnglish is that one can type in English language in HK convention (in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam or Devanagari) and get it transliterated to any desired language in Unicode.

Of these, Devanagari and Tamil have been largely tested; Telugu and Kannada have been fairly tested; Malayalam is not yet tested.

Using the combination of these package, by writing once in English (HK) one can transliterate to any other language - via Devanagari.

The HK convention for Devanagari is applicable to Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam also (with Short 'e', 'o' and 'jn' for ज्ञ)

In regard to HK to Tamil Unicode, HK convention as applicable Tamil has been used. The details of the same are as under -

அ ஆ இ ஈ உ ஊ
a A i I u U

எ ஏ ஐ ஒ ஓ ஔ ஃ
e E ai o O au H

க ங ச ஞ ஜ ட ண த ந ப ம
k/g G c/s J/jn j T/D N t/d n p/b m

ய ர ல வ ழ ள ற ன
y r l v zh L R n

Devanagari (Sanskrit) letters
j S Sh s kSh/Tc

Category wise
vallinam – k/g c/s T/D t/d p/b R
mellinam – G J N n m n
iDaiyinam - y r l v zh L
Sanskrit j S Sh s kSh Tc

ந(n) ன(n) ஜ(j) ஸ(श)(S) ஷ(ष)(Sh) ஸ(स)(s) ஹ(h) க்ஷ(kSh) ட்ச(Tc)

'n' be used for both ந and ன- the program will select the approprate depending on occurrence location.
'n' occurring in the beginning of the word and before 't' and 'd' will be replaced by ந
'n' occurring in other places will be replaced by ன
There may be a few occasions where ந is used within a word like 'அந்நாள்' - such occurrences will be available as 'அன்னாள்' which can be manually corrected.

Those who are desirous of getting the same, may contact me - this can be sent by email as zipped file.

I invite suggestions
Last edited by vgvindan on 27 May 2007, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I am giving hereunder the Telugu, kannada, Mayalayam versions of the kRti. I request those knowledgeable in Telgu, Kannada and Malayalam to check the versions and comment on any errors in Transliteration.

The Devanagari version is given for reference purposes - this version is edited to remove some peculiarities of Tamil language like middle and ending virAma 'meyppADu', 'paTTut' 'pAdiyait, 'pOyp' etc. The Tamil version also is given. Edited Devanagari version is used for transliteration to other languages.

Tamil Version

பித்தம் தெளிய மருந்தொன்று இருக்குதாம் பேரின்ப மன்றுள்ளே
அப: மற்ற மருந்துகள் தின்றாலும் உள்ளுக்கு வல்லே வல்லே ஐயே அடிமை
ச: பாம்பும் புலியும் மெய்ப்பாடு பட்டுத் தேடிப் பார்த்துப் பயிரிட்டது
பாரளந்த திரு மாயனும் வேதனும் பார்த்துக் களித்ததுண்டு
பார்வதி என்றொரு சீமாட்டி அதில் பாதியைத் தின்றதுண்டு இன்னும்
பாதி இருக்குது பறையா நீயும் போய்ப் பாரென்று உத்தாரம் தாரும் தீரும்

Devanagari Version - Edited

पित्तं तॆळिय मरुंदॊन्ऱु इरुक्कुदां पेरिन्ब मन्ऱुळ्ळे
अ: मट्ऱ मरुंदुगळ् तिन्ऱालुं उळ्ळुक्कु वल्ले वल्ले ऐये अडिमै
च: पांबुं पुलियुं मॆय्पाडु पट्टु तेडि पार्त्तु पयिरिट्टदु
पारळंद तिरु मायनुं वेदनुं पार्त्तु कळित्तदुंडु
पार्वति ऎन्ऱॊरु सीमाट्टि अदिल् पादियै तिन्ऱदुंडु इन्नुं
पादि इरुक्कुदु पऱैया नीयुं पोय् पारॆन्ऱु उत्तारं तारुं तीरुं

Telugu version -

పిత్తం తెళియ మరుందొన్ఱు ఇరుక్కుదాం పేరిన్బ మన్ఱుళ్ళే
అ: మట్ఱ మరుందుగళ్ తిన్ఱాలుం ఉళ్ళుక్కు వల్లే వల్లే ఐయే అడిమై
చ: పాంబుం పులియుం మెయ్పాడు పట్టు తేడి పార్త్తు పయిరిట్టదు
పారళంద తిరు మాయనుం వేదనుం పార్త్తు కళిత్తదుండు
పార్వతి ఎన్ఱొరు సీమాట్టి అదిల్ పాదియై తిన్ఱదుండు ఇన్నుం
పాది ఇరుక్కుదు పఱైయా నీయుం పోయ్ పారెన్ఱు ఉత్తారం తారుం తీరుం

Kanada Version

ಪಿತ್ತಂ ತೆಳಿಯ ಮರುಂದೊನ್ಱು ಇರುಕ್ಕುದಾಂ ಪೇರಿನ್ಬ ಮನ್ಱುಳ್ಳೇ
ಅ: ಮಟ್ಱ ಮರುಂದುಗಳ್ ತಿನ್ಱಾಲುಂ ಉಳ್ಳುಕ್ಕು ವಲ್ಲೇ ವಲ್ಲೇ ಐಯೇ ಅಡಿಮೈ
ಚ: ಪಾಂಬುಂ ಪುಲಿಯುಂ ಮೆಯ್ಪಾಡು ಪಟ್ಟು ತೇಡಿ ಪಾರ್ತ್ತು ಪಯಿರಿಟ್ಟದು
ಪಾರಳಂದ ತಿರು ಮಾಯನುಂ ವೇದನುಂ ಪಾರ್ತ್ತು ಕಳಿತ್ತದುಂಡು
ಪಾರ್ವತಿ ಎನ್ಱೊರು ಸೀಮಾಟ್ಟಿ ಅದಿಲ್ ಪಾದಿಯೈ ತಿನ್ಱದುಂಡು ಇನ್ನುಂ
ಪಾದಿ ಇರುಕ್ಕುದು ಪಱೈಯಾ ನೀಯುಂ ಪೋಯ್ ಪಾರೆನ್ಱು ಉತ್ತಾರಂ ತಾರುಂ ತೀರುಂ

Malayalam Version
പിത്തം തെളിയ മരുംദൊന്റു ഇരുക്കുദാം പേരിന്ബ മന്റുള്ളേ
അ: മട്റ മരുംദുഗള്‍ തിന്റാലും ഉള്ളുക്കു വല്ലേ വല്ലേ ഐയേ അഡിമൈ
ച: പാമ്ബും പുലിയും മെയ്പാഡു പട്ടു തേഡി പാര്ത്തു പയിരിട്ടദു
പാരളംദ തിരു മായനും വേദനും പാര്ത്തു കളിത്തദുംഡു
പാര്വതി എന്റൊരു സീമാട്ടി അദില്‍ പാദിയൈ തിന്റദുംഡു ഇന്നും
പാദി ഇരുക്കുദു പറൈയാ നീയും പോയ് പാരെന്റു ഉത്താരം താരും തീരും
Last edited by vgvindan on 07 Jun 2007, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

kutty

Post by kutty »

vgvindan: Which is the SW with which you transliterate into Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and kannada?

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

kutty,
The SW has been developed by me in VB. Please refer to http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=49602#p49602 (#173)
Last edited by vgvindan on 08 Jun 2007, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Mahakavi

Kutty:
You have to bear with me for transforming your scheme into this one.
OK, that really took some labor!
Very good effort Mahakavi. You are welcome to transform mine into the standard one, as I find mine more convenient to express the sound we use in colloquial form of Thamizh and Sanskrit which need not be adhered to in the interest of maority. I do realise the transformation to Thamizh would be a bit laborious. If you desire, hereafter I will render the song in Thamizh script to reduce your labour in addition to English if the members/mods do not object.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

kutty:
Please do so, if you don't mind. I really had to do line by line keeping two or more URLs open and switching between them. While arunk's scheme is a boon to do the transformation, it is laborious since long songs are difficult to do line by line. Perhaps you have a better software. I will post the meanings after you transcribe them into Thamizh script. As for the Thamizh script it will make more sense to relate to the meaning which I will post after you do the Thamizh versions of the other two songs. Incidentally one of our forum members (a Keralite) is very much interested in getting the meanings of these songs and that was the primary reason I requested the lyrics.

arunk:
Is there a way to copy/paste the transliterated Roman script of a whole song into your scheme and get the transformation at one stroke?

arunk

Post by arunk »

mahakavi,

actually i was trying this yesterday - although ran into some anomalies which i couldnt figure out.

What i did (and what you could do) is follows:
1. copy and paste into the transl. editor
2. click on the "fix" button (the hammer and tools button).
3. It brings up a dialog where you can select one or more "transformations" to apply. You could ask e.g. to convert aa to A, ee to I etc, you could also convert "th" to t etc.
4. Click ok and this should fix most of the text to conform to the scheme and thus could make your job easier.
5. Make any other corrections
6. Click on translate button.

However, the anamoly I ran into was after transformation, when I translated, the text was quite off. For example, "muruga" came up as "m" (mei) + u (uyir)!!! I suspect the copy and paste form the forum page into transl. editor brought with some hidden formatting which confused the translator that instead of seeing "muruga" as one word it perhaps saw it as several words - "m", "u", "r" , "u" etc. This is just my theory. If this is indeed the cause, one way to avoid would be to copy and paste into notepad (i.e. an editor without formatting stuff) and then copy and paste into the transl editor as step 1 above.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 14 Jun 2007, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

note that ee => I doesnt really work - must be a bug.

Also I see usage of e' for E. I can add one but this is not really part of any other convention and so I dont want.

Perhaps a search and replace feature may be useful here.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 14 Jun 2007, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

rveeraraghavan

Post by rveeraraghavan »

mahakavi, what did you post above ( at 00:27 ) looks like a whole lot of gibberish to me! Does it require something to be installed on the machine? I am running linux, and firefox

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

rveeraraghavan:
I wish I could tell you in one line what to do.
Perhaps arunk or thanjavur might help. It has something to do under "View" and selecting the encoding to "unicode" or "western" or something like that. Wait for one of them to respond. I can see clear Thamizh script on my conputer.

arunk

Post by arunk »

rveeraraghavan - you need to enable Indic script support. Pl. check the following link for details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ic_scripts

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 14 Jun 2007, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

mahakavi - i will be updating the editor in the next few minutes. After that it will include a search/replace (so you can do e' to E, o' to O in above), another rule to translate some capital letters which dont have representations (e.g. V => v, G => g), and also a bug fix for ee => I.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

done. The search/replace button is the last button to the left on the second row of buttons

arunk

Post by arunk »

FYI: A few minutes ago I posted an update to the Carnatic Music Transliterator: http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmtranslit

This update has the following:

1. A search/replace feature (the A->B button on the second row - the rightmost button)
2. Fix a bug where ee => I translation (accessible via the wrench/hammer button)
3. Added a rule for converting certain capital letters which have representation only in lower case forms (again, accessible via the wrench/hammer button)

Arun

kutty

Post by kutty »

Mahakavi:

I will send you the Thamizh versions of all the three tomorrow morning. I use a very good transliterating Thamizh SW (which of course does not follow the international standard) named "Azhagi" which you can try from www.azhagi.com Really it is a nice one to transliterate from English to Thamizh. If you have not tried please do so.

palpaandi

Post by palpaandi »

hi!!!

as you guys are discussing about the tamil tools for posting
i would like to contribute with my findings so that you ppl will find it useful ,

i recently came across one blog and it directed it to this site, http://quillpad.in/tamil
it will peacefully help in creating long tamil blogs in no time if you can talk in tamil .
so you can write in tamil without knowing tamil script :)
isnt the funda amusing :) :) :)

see through it and have fun

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

That is neat, palpaandi!

arunk

Post by arunk »

indeed!

arunk

Post by arunk »

However, for our purposes (i.e. as in this thread), i think it is better if the representation is easily translatable to other languages as well. One representation - conveys the phonetics of the words, and a way to transcribe it in all the cm languages.

Although that is perhaps a utopian view, as I find most uses being limited to getting it transcribed to only one language :)

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

Hi folks,

A couple of you had asked me about this and I am glad it turned out to be reasonably easy to implement.

I have updated the cm transliteration editor at http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmtranslit with a new feature that allows you to paste already created tamil/kannada/telugu/sanskrit script. Once you hit the Translate button, this will convert it into the transliteration scheme (results under English tab) as well as to other languages.

You can use this as a convenient "quick start" or "starting point" to get something info the unified scheme - particularly if you already have text in an Indic language or you find it convenient to create it elsewhere. Once you do that you can copy the results under the English tab, modify it as necessary and do further tweaking.

A few points to note:

1. The feature is experimental and so there may be bugs
2. The feature is not 100% reliable. From tamizh script it is not possible to unambuously figure out ka vs ga, pa vs ba etc. So always check the English results and modify it as necessary. The same thing applies for anuswara. While kannada and telugu always use anuswara in some contexts (and hence no ambiguity), Sanskrit doesnt. So conversion of anuswaras using this feature may end being less than satisfactory.

Pl. let me know of bugs and any improvements.

Thanks
Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

That's cool,
Now I can say I can read thamizh in English.
Thanks.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks suji. if only the notation "editor" was as easy as this one :)

Actually that one has been "sort of close to initial delivery" for a while. The trouble is it requires a lot of documention and that is not always fun to do :)

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arunk wrote:thanks suji. if only the notation "editor" was as easy as this one :)

Actually that one has been "sort of close to initial delivery" for a while. The trouble is it requires a lot of documention and that is not always fun to do :)

Arun
I was going to enquire about the notation editor..looks like I reminded you indirectly... :P

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Those who know telugu script may please comment whether the implementation 'O' in Unicode is correct or not -

kO,khO,gO, ghO - కో ఖో గో ఘో
cO, chO, jO, jhO - చో ఛో జో ఝో
TO, ThO, DO, DhO - టో ఠో డో ఢో
tO, thO, dO, dhO - తో థో దో ధో
pO, phO, bO, bhO - పో ఫో బో భో
mO, yO, rO, lO, vO, LO - మో యో రో లో వో ళో
sO, SO, shO, hO - సో శో షో హో

It may be seen that some letters have been implemented differently. Can someone knowing Telugu language comment whether the highlighted letters are correct?
Last edited by vgvindan on 31 Aug 2007, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

vgv,

this would be font dependent. So what I see may not be the same as what you see - since depending on what fonts are installed, which browser (and what the browser selects for telugu - which can be automatic or explicit) we would see different things.

If you are observing a problem, change to a different font (downloading it if necessary) and see if you see things differently. That will let you know if the font you chose has a problem.

Arun

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Can someone please explain how 'SArnga' (in SArnga dhara) will be written in Telugu and Kannada?
In Sanskrit it is written as शार्ङ्ग -
In view of the virama after 'r' - it is not possible to codify Anusvara (sunna) in place of G-n. Can it be written as శార్ఙ్గ - ಶಾರ್ಙ್ಗ - ie without Sunna?
Last edited by vgvindan on 11 Jan 2008, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

shishya

Post by shishya »

this is how it is written శార్ఙ
Last edited by shishya on 11 Jan 2008, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

shisya, You have given 'sArnga' without 'g'
శార్ఙ్గము

శాగ్ఙ్గి
This is how it is given in the Telugu Dictionary. Can you please again check.
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/romadi ... able=brown