Easy Methods for Korvai

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
shadjam

Post by shadjam »

I am not sure if there are any easier methods for constructing korvais. But the one I have come across enables one to come up with their own patterns. The method is to come up with a starting pattern of one’s imagination and fill up the remaining maatras accordingly. This method can be used to construct simple korvais.

I have given an example with Misra Chapu talam (samam edppu to samam) – swaras are assumed to be in Hamsadhwani.

Let’s say the starting pattern is GRSNS; (7) – RSNPN; (7) - SNPGP; (7). This starting pattern occupies the entire first avarthanam (14 maatra cycle) and 7 maatras in the second cycle. This leaves us with 7 (14 minus 7) remaining unfilled maatras in the second cycle.

Since 7 is not enough to do any calculations, we have to add one or more cycles. If we add just one cycle (14 maatras), we have a total of 21 maatras (7 from the previous cycle + 14 from the new cycle). With 21 we can come up with several patterns such as 7-7-7, 5-3-5-3-5. With 7-7-7 the swaras would look like G,R,SNP (7) – R,S,NPG (7) – S,N,PGR (7).

The entire korvai looks like

GRSNS; (7) – RSNPN; (7) - SNPGP; (7) - G,R,SNP (7) – R,S,NPG (7) – S,N,PGR (7).

The same pattern is repeated three times (there can be variations also).

For eduppu 2 after samam, we need to add 10 maatras to the remaining maatras after the starting pattern. This will push the korvai by 10 maatras each cycle. At the end of the third cycle we would have 30 extra maatras which is equivalent to 2 cycles + 2. This enables us to start the korvai in samam and end 2 maatras after samam. Similarly, for 4 after samam, we need to add 6 maatras to the remaining maatras after the starting pattern.

I am not sure if this is an effective method to construct korvais and would appreciate if the experts teach us the best method to come up with korvais for various talas and eduppus.
Last edited by shadjam on 16 Aug 2007, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, shadjam, You can visit the postings in the thread ‘Easy Muktayis - their utilization in Svarakalpana’ under the main-head Tala/Laya and get acquainted with the symbols and the Muktayis furnished in them. The moderators are hereby requested to put this topic under the thread ‘Tala/Laya’. amsharma