Review of Jayanthi Kumaresh Veena Concert for SPICMACAY at I

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Jayanthi Kumaresh - Veena
P Satish Kumar - Mrudangam
N Guruprasad - Ghatam

AnandAmrutkarshini - amrutavarshiNi - Adi - MD (RS)
sabApatikku - AbhOgi - rUpakam - GKB (S)
nOTTu svaram followed by akshaya linga vibhO - sankarAbaranam - misra cApu - MD
instrumental composition - pantuvarALi - misra cApu (Ragam Tanam, svarams)
tani
tillAnA - mAND

both AlApanais were more using the third and fourth string which made the AlApanais less enjoyable. Especially for a ragam like pantuvarALi which is predominantly a madhyasthAyi ragam, the phrases in anumandarasthAyI were not all that tolerable. The sankarAbaraNam kriti was for some reason stopped right after the anupallavi. All the svarams were filled with un wanted pauses. The artist also lacked sAhitya sense.

She also played snatches of mOhanam, vAsanti, bhUpALam, bauLi, nIlAmbari, pUrNacandrikA, sahAnA, kalyANi, sAvEri, gauLa to explain the concept of rAgam and bhavam and gamakams.

The percussionist were good in providing support and during the tani.

bharath

prarabtham

Post by prarabtham »

I didn't like this concert or lec-dem or talk show or whatever this one was supposed to be.

As the songs were discussed by rbharath, I refrain from repeating. But the one thing that put me off repeatedly was the fact that even the steady, to-and-fro rhythmic finger strumming that any average veena player would presumably have mastered, this artist didn't seem to have. At least not on the day of this concert, where, on more than one noticeable occassion, she kept fumbilng with her strumming.

And she has this gem passed off as the quintessence of her experience, to a seemingly gullible and sincere audience. That there are some sahityas that cannot be brought out well in a veena or in general in instrumental music. Pity that she didn't attend one of the regular IIT Music Club concerts, a few days before hers. Smt. Kalpagam Swaminathan, who by her veena playing (or veena singing!), seemed to have infused in us, an exactly opposite view.

IMHO, the main artist of this lec-dem(dumb) needs to learn a lot of veena and vocal(speech) lessons, before she ventures to deliver one. The one lesson I learnt from this SPICMACAY program is that I would not attend another one, not certainly by this artist for enough years.