Guru Rhadha

Carnatic Musicians
Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

I thought of starting a thread on Guru Rhadha. She is a great exponent of the Vazhuvoor school of dance. She has choreographed many wonderful dance dramas. She has done some extensive research on the work of Lalgudi Jayaraman and has choreographed many dance numbers to his varnams and thillanas. I was wondering if someone can shed some more light on this great artiste.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is a profile:
http://narthanya.tripod.com/id2.html

I first saw her dance with her sisters, Kamala and Vasanti. She certainly was, to an extent, overshadowed by her older sister Kamala Lakshman (who wouldn't be?), but is coming into her own now. IIRC, she won the sangIt nATak academy award in 2007. DD has released a VCD on the bard's 'naukA caritam' choreographed by her, if I am not mistaken. She is a very firm upholder of the vazhuvUr tradition, with no adulteration.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

rshankar, thank you so much for posting and sharing the link. I am very happy to hear about Smt. Rhadha. Has any of her other dance dramas come out on VCD or DVD? If someone can let me know I would be grateful.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Just out of curiosity and information, the title Guru being added to Smt Radha, is it some thing conferred on them by some one or is it being done out of respect ? If this is done for what they have achieved by imparting education ( music or dance ) to their disciples, then why all other deserving peopld ( including Kamala Lakshman, Ariyakudi, Semmangudi et all) not being addressed such ?

harimau

Post by harimau »

Most dance teachers are respectfully called Gurus by their disciples.

Rhadha has been selected to receive the Acharya Choodamani award by Sri Krishna Gana Sabha. Hence the title 'Guru' is richly deserved.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Harmau...thank you for the clarification..sam

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Does anyone any pictures of Guru Rhadha's performance from the Lalgudi Maargam Performance recently held in Chennai?