New Raga?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
arunk

Post by arunk »

Consider n`g here you are ascending; but g does not appear in aro.
(sorry my previous reply was bogus. I think it is pasi mayakkam :) I have edited it now)

You are looking at this still from the way you used to!

Focus on the transition FROM the swara
(or)
for a transition look at the swara AT THE BEGINNING and NOT the one at the end.

So if you have n'-g, you check whether n' is in the ArOhana since we are ascending FROM ni (or it is the swara at the beginning of the transition). Dont look at the ga.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 10 Nov 2007, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

darbAr varnam? It is (atleast the way I learnt) is S S , p p ,

But I think sankarabharanam varnam in anupallavi starts as s , d d p m d p , m g m p g m r. You s-d => 9 semitones. And yes s S (12) also does occur (abhOgi varnam last cittaswara). The point though is they are pretty rare (say compared to WM) - atleast that seems to be the general characteristic.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 10 Nov 2007, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I think I got it. n` occurs in both aro and avaro and hence can be used as a pivot. now g r is a descent in avaro hence n` gr is i OK?

I was thinking of the movie 'sindhubhairavi where the drunken Sivakumar is barking at the cowering musician singing Darbar with 's S... :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arun, for the examples you are seeking of two big ascending jumps, sa-pa-SA is a characteristic prayoga of Huseni isn't it? It is interesting Huseni can own such a common sequence. I do not recall which songs have it but I remember G.S. Mani's lec-dem where he mentioned something like this. Again, no claims that such jumps are common in CM, you and I are on the same page on that, we are just scraping at the bottom of the barrel ;) to see where such wide jumps are melodious.

arunk

Post by arunk »

vk - It does seem to ring a bell. I think sa-pa and pa-Sa both figure often (sa-pa being part of arohana itself) in separate phrases too.

I am looking at the notations of the huseni swarajathi by ponniah pillai. Many sa-pa and pa-Sa but no sa-pa-Sa. There is a sa-pa-da - which I think is also how enna kuTram seidEno starts (ss pp d..) (??).

So huseni does have a wide jump and further ascent (albeit s-p is sort of part of the scale - but still good example).

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 11 Nov 2007, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

T's Sri Raghukula huseni has S P S in the beginning?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Other well-known composition with s-p-s right at the opening is SS's pAhi SrigirirAjasutE ( Ananda bhairavi). So this is not a unique husEni phrase.

IIRC, husEni swarajati EmATalADi ( Ponnaiah Pillai?) starts with s - p -n ; So does another jatiswara beginning as s, p, ndm, pnd, nsr, s, ||

-Ramakriya