Jayanthasri

Rāga related discussions
S.Balasubramanian.

Post by S.Balasubramanian. »

* Shall we start this thread by analysing the following aspects?
*What are the kritis available in this raga other than-Marukelara-Thyagaraja,Neeradasama neelakrishna ..-OVK&one by Mysore Vasudevachar(heard OST in Chennai Air today).
*Recordings on the kritis-Link may be given.
*What is the difference/Similiarity between Jayantasri &Hindolam?
*Has anyone elaborarted this in RNS(Raga,Neraval,Swaram)?
*Or why is not taken for elaborate treatment?

vijay

Post by vijay »

Diff b/w Jayanthasri and Hindolam - there is no panchamam in the latter.

Elaborate treatments - the only one I can think of is a TNS concert at Rasika Ranjani Sabha (IIRC, the last concert in that hall). He took it up as a sub-main - not sure there was a neraval...

Swaras for Marugelara are fairly common but alaapanas are not...as to why not, that's anybody's guess....IMO there is enough to distinguish it from Hindolam to sustain a 4-5 minute alaapana at least. The effect when Hindolamish phrases merge into the panchmama is quite haunting (courtesy TNS)...I'd frankly love to see more of this raga.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

Yes...I have heard Shri TNS render Marugelara in style, with alapanai, and swaram. It was a nice 7 min alapanai at RR sabha (nice sabha, now in ruins :mad:) The kriti that Shri OST sang was probably Shridhara pahi, a composition of Shri Vasudevachar.
I have a question to ask in this regard. Whenever artistes render popular ragams, one never feels that the artiste is bordering on other allied rare ragams....For eg. when an artiste renders kalyani, does somebody ever wonder if he/she is singing phrases from, say, citrambari? But take the converse: when some artiste attempts an alapanai in citrambari, one would probably say" Oh! It was no different from kalyani."
Even if we were to consider this case, does anybody wonder if one's hearing jayanthasree while listening to hindolam. If not, why?
-bhaktha

S.Balasubramanian.

Thank you both Vijay&Bhaktha.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Bhakta,
When you watch Glenn Mcgrath bowl, you are in awe of him and you don't make any comparisons. But when Avishkar Salvi comes along, we immediately make comparisions with Mcgrath. However, there are certain ragas that might end up big over time. Like how Courtney Walsh emerged from the shadows of Michael Holding and how Mohammad Asif might (from the shadows of Mcgrath) if he gets his act together

arunk

Post by arunk »

good analogy :)!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice topic! I have always been fascinated by this raga and have wondered why it is not more popular! Prof SRJ states that Thyagaraj indeed breathed life into this through his magnificent composition. MD didn't touch it.

Arun
What is the historical background on this raga?

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover,

It is mentioned in sangrahacUDAmaNi (1750-1800), although there are 2 earlier references to it

1. In a north indian work hRdayaprakASa by hRdayakautuka (1667), but one which deems in sampURNa (i.e. aro/avaro combined):
2. rAgalakshaNamu by SahAji (1684-1711) which assigns it to harikAmbhOji meLa (!) and also includes ri (sa ri ga ma pa da ni pa da sa Sa ni dha pa ma ri sa).

I believe both must be referring to different raga(s).

sangrahacUDAmaNi (and others) assign it to naThabhairavi mELa, and with vakra avarOhaNa (s n d m p m g s).

Reference: rAgalakshaNasangraha by Hema Ramanathan

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 21 Aug 2007, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a 30sec vintage aalaapana by MMI
http://www.mediafire.com/?2jddglxljid

arunk

Post by arunk »

How about a detailed marugElarA (with alapana) from an esteemed member of the cm performing community as well as this forum :)?

Check out this concert: http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Downloads/ns/ns2.html

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

MLV has also rendered a detailed alapana in one of the comm. cd

S.Balasubramanian.

MLV's rendering comes first to my mind when I think of this raga.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Is the kriti chandrashekaram sadaa bhajeham in Jayantisri?I guess its a composition of GNB.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

candrashEkharam sadA bhajEham shAmbavi is by Dikshitar in mArgahindOLa.
candrashEkharam sadA bhajEham shAntasva is by Kadalur Subramaniam in riSabhapriyA.

S.Balasubramanian.

One more composition-Sriharapahi-Courtesy-Vaggeyakaras-T.M.Thyagarajan-unable to download-http://quickdump.com/files/455643125

v_sudarshans

Post by v_sudarshans »

Thank you arun...really i was looking for Marugelara detailed since months...finally i got it. thank you...please send me some more if u have. i will be grateful to you.