thumak calat rAmacandra

History, religion and culture
mohan

Post by mohan »

What is the raga of Tulasi Das bhajan "thumak calat rAmacandra bAjat paijaniyAn" as sung by MS Subbulakshmi. I don't have a link to provide. To me it sometimes sounds like Yamunakalyani or Senjurutti. Perhaps it is another Hindustani raga?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I think it sounds like the hindusthAni jihnjoThi. I think the song is about baby rAma's first steps.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes - it is about Rama as a toddler ... how does jihnjoThi go? Has it got a Carnatic equivalent?

mohan

Post by mohan »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohan,
Check out 'thumak chalat' from mio here: it is the most divine version I have heard and the enunciation is, as always, superb! It is from the album 'Ram Ratan Dhan Payo'
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/d ... nguage.11/

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks Ravi - its a nice version

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohan,
I am certain that you are composing for a dance version...the visual imagery evoked for me by the line 'dhAy mAtu gOdh lEt daSarath ki raniyAn' is something I find very interesting - when kusalyA/sumitra/kaikEyi see the toddler rAma lurch and fall as toddlers are wont to, they run to him just like any other mother would (mAt), but once they assure themselves that he is not hurt, they turn into the regal queens of daSarath!

Another point is that like AK, tulsIdAs seems to be at a loss for words to compare the beauty of rAm here: he says 'raghuvar chabi kE samAn raghuvar chabi baniyA' - Just like SUrpaNakhA in describing sItA to rAvaN says 'avaLukkavaLe jODu'! Anup Jalota usually has a field day singing this!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Ravi -- you are spot on!

kvsubramanian

Post by kvsubramanian »

Is the raga Khamaj ?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

the raaga is ghara. remember the famous film song Mohe phan gat me he nandlala sung by Lata in Mughal-e-azam . it is also in ghara in hindustani music , if there is a slight aberration from the main raaga, the word mishra is used conveniently but it is a delight to hear , the raag pilu is one such raag , where liberty is taken gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

do you remember the song :ENGUM NIRAI NAADA BRAHMAM' BY mss in the film Meera do you not find a similarity between these two songs ?the raag is ghara gobilalitha