Sollukattu and Bija Mantra's

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
chitrashankar

Post by chitrashankar »

Can someone tell me where I can read about the relationship between Sollukattu and Bija Mantra's?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

AFAIK, there is no relationship. Other dancers/scholars on the forum maybe able to shed more light on this.

However, of late, dancers like Smt. Priyadarshini Govind have used the bIjAkSara mantrams instead of sorkaTTus in certain jatIs, especially in a varNam. I, for one like it. I would liken this to the dancing of an alArippu to the singing of a tiruppugazh in the background with the naTTuvanAr intoning the sollus in the foreground.

If you find a definite or even a probable link, kindly share.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Can you guys post a small clip for example?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,

A small clip will be tough, but if you download these files http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ramasund ... d_BNatyam/ you will see that Smt. Priyadarshini Govind begins her performance for podigai with bhO shambhO. She starts to the intonamtion of 'Om namah SivAya', and uses that to fashion her jatIs around. I think that is what the original poster meant. I know that it is what I meant.
Last edited by rshankar on 02 Apr 2008, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Shankar.
The idea is quite good and novel. But in my view in this example the execution is poor! The bIjAkShara should be seamlessly integrated both musically and dance-wise. Also there should not be an abhinayam for the bIjAkShara when integrated with the jati. Am I right?