Neraval Singing

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

In neraval singing , while embellishing each word of the neraval sentence , I find it difficult to sing each
and every word at the right place in the tala. By this I mean the right place where it is normally sung as an ordinary sangathi of the song.

The right words aren't falling exactly at the right places of-course except for the starting word..

My doubt is: Is it enough if we sing the neraval with correct eduppu (starting pt of talam for the neraval commencement) or should the eduppu of each word of the neraval sentence be taken into consideration?

I'm asking this bcos in some recordings, each word of the neraval is perfectly placed (example: paramathmudu jeevathmudu neraval of gyanamosagaradha sung by TM Krishna in the cd that i have)

but in some others only the eduppu of the 1st word is sung correctly.
(eg. vijay shiva's vasudeva mahitham bhava tharanam neraval for Muthuswamy Dikshithar's Shri Mathru bhootham)

mohan

Post by mohan »

In practice it is sufficient if the main words of the line occur in the correct position with respect to the tala. Look closely at the sahityam and if the words are long (as in gnanamosagaradha) then try and ensure that the beginning of words fall in the correct place. The other syllables of the word can fall slightly off their original positions. If the words are short (as in the sri mathrubhutham krithi), then just place the first word and some other words in the right place.

Best bet is to listen to neraval renditions of the krithi you are rendering. Check out http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... index.html

Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

Mohan,Thank you very much for the clarifications. That was what I exactly needed!!

In one of the recordings which i have(Sri mathru bootham sung by vijay siva) , neraval has been sung for the line vasudeva mahitham bhavatharanam and swaram for the line sri mathru bootham

What I actually thought was that the neraval & swaram should compulsarily be sung for the same line(either in the course of the song or after it is over).

I just want to know whether singing nerval and swaram for different lines of a krithi is allowed.Can u pl. clarify?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Singing nerval and swaram for different lines of a krithi is allowed but it is rather uncommon.