Initiating the percussion patterns

Tālam & Layam related topics
Venu

Post by Venu »

Can someone help me in this regard ? Percussion patterns.

Example - 8 Khanda i.e. 8*5=40 takes 10 beats.
Can I present this in Adi chaturasra wherein this cycle starts two beats before the avartha ?

Or is it always necessary to begin a koravai / Nadai/ Percussion pattern from Samam.
(Do we have any shasthras or regulations ?)

Like this, we can improvise on single Koravai keeping 8 as basic
1. 8 Khanda (40)
2. 8 Tisra (48)
3. 8 Misra (56)
4. 8 Chatu (64)
5. 8 Sankirna ( 72)

Meaning to say One koravia can be improvised/restructuerd in Five Jaathis.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Off the cuff response...

All sorts of things can be, and are, done in our complex mridangam music, especially in the thani --- but there has to be a discipline within which this freedom is played out.

The talam and the edipu are the rhythmic roots of that discipline, the shape and form of the song, in carnatic music, its particular directing force.

If the percussionist does not follow that, then while the music is going on, he is playing something else, regardless of some mathematical formula successfully bringing him to a meeting point at the start of each line.

With such as kovais, there is more freedom, the calculation in king. A very simple example of this is that an Adi Talam korvais can be played for Rupaka talam: on the third repetition only the samam will be reached.

Other examples are the various forms of koraipu, such as misra, where 7-count patterns are played, adjusting the starting point within the cycle.

My thinking may be wrong on this, or I may be misunderstanding your point. Bear with me; I like 'having a go' on such topics!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, Venu, There is no rule at all that any rhythmical pattern should start with Samam of any Tala.

You can visit ‘Easy Muktayis – their utilization in Svarakalpana’ under the main thread Tala/Laya of these columns. I have symbolized many of these muktayis in my own way and furnished in my book ‘Sangita Svararaga Sudha’ and while typing them in these columns I was compelled to change them a little to suit the key-board of my PC. Now I can’t recollect them in which way I did. However, now, I shall try to give you some examples of 40-units (8-khandams of Chaturashra-gati in total).

1. tdgnt – t ; ; - tdgnt – tdgnt – t ; ; - tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt ----- arriving at a total 8-khandams=40-units.

2. t ; d ; g ; n ; t ; - t , d , g , n , t , - tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt ---- do.

3. t ; ; - t , ; d , ; g , ; n , ; t , ; - t , d , g , n , t , - tdgnt ---- do.

4. tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt – t ; ; - ‘tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt’ (in Trisra-gati which is equal to 4-khandams) ----- do.

5. t ; ; - tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt – ‘tdgnt – tdgnt – tdgnt’ (in Trisra-gati which is equal of 4-khandams ----- do. amsharma.