Security at CM concerts

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Heard about the recent bomb blasts all over Bangalore. What shocking news! Hope the perpetrators are brought to justic soon.

This brings me to ask this question: during the music season, do they provide security at concerts? A large congregation of people would require some form of security, I would have thought.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

where next after Ahmedabad? is it the sequence of denial, revenge, sadness, fear, rationalization, acceptance.. hope..?

“where have all the flowers gone?â€

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

ragam-talam: Why are you singing this pallavi today?? (;-

Sanjay is singing today and tomorrow TMKrishna - in bangalore..Please do not scare my family - or else, i will be denied permission to attend the concert...

-hari

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Security?

They don't even bother about fire risks.

Didn't we do this before somewhere, or may be it just got mentioned in passing in one of our 'toilet' threads.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Nick,

Here we go back to our old discussion on safety. :)

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4602
Last edited by cienu on 27 Jul 2008, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

I wasn't trying to scare people, just raising an important concern. Whilst fire safety etc is something to be tackled, this new dimension to security issues does need to be looked at with some urgency, especially considering very large numbers of people coverge on the city during the season.

Btw, does anyone know of the numbers of people from outside Madras who come in for the season? Would it be in the range of 10,000 or more?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

cienu, thanks for pointing to that thread.

ragam-talam, it certainly feels like a new dimension at the moment, with the happenings of the past two days, but hasn't it been a part of the background in India for a long time? I read recently that India tops the league for numbers of terrorist attacks, though who keeps count and what their definitions are, I can't say.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

ragam-talam - it is an issue; but nothing specific to carnatic music alone; it is a threat wherever lot of people get together; school, college, cinemas, temple, mall, markets, railway station, and other crowded areas; carnatic music concerts happen to be one of them. Not sure, what we as rasikas can do. Atmost, sabhas can have metal detectors to screen, and tell everyone not to bring in bags/eatables/water bottle etc... Not sure of the public reaction though...

-hari

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

ragam-talam wrote:IBtw, does anyone know of the numbers of people from outside Madras who come in for the season? Would it be in the range of 10,000 or more?
Remember that this is also peak tourist season for Southern India. Many, many people are coming here who are not even aware of the season.

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

s_hari is right. We can worry about it, but short of staying at home, there isn't much that one can do.

Just struck me: Should we have security <i>inside</i> the hall to stop people from walking out during the thani?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:lol:

A couple of guys with guns, one on each side of the stage: nobody moves until Mangalam is finished...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

nick H wrote::lol:

A couple of guys with guns, one on each side of the stage: nobody moves until Mangalam is finished...
Nobody moves until mangalam even if it stinks because those rasikas did not practice bladder control

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Well, yes.... there could be disadvantages to such 'discipline'.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

It is easy.. when the artist see that people "walkout" during tani -- stop the tani, and start singing "Jana Gana Mana" - national anthem.. Those who walk will stand there..

-hari

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah! That's what you think!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

:) And imagine, if MDR is singing the mangalam... :)

erode14

Post by erode14 »

people staying for thani:

to go wen thani = no discipline
to stay wen thani = all disciple in :D

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

erode14 wrote:people staying for thani:

to go wen thani = no discipline
to stay wen thani = all disciple in :D
That was a good one!
to stay when thani-all disciple in(ned)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

s_hari wrote:It is easy.. when the artist see that people "walkout" during tani -- stop the tani, and start singing "Jana Gana Mana" - national anthem.. Those who walk will stand there..

-hari
May be CM concerts outside India, start singing national anthem of mother country and adopted country to be fair enough!

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

ragam-talam wrote:
:) And imagine, if MDR is singing the mangalam... :)
MDR did sing Mangalam for long time in a concert, when people started walking out before mangalam completed. I have listened to that, but can't recollect which concert.. He makes an announcement in english asking people not to walk out, and purposefully sings mangalam for additional duration

-hari

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

The parliamentary rasika (so named because of our elected reps' propensity to stage arbitrary walk outs ) will not be deterred by any anthem or mangalam singing. The motto is: When a man has gotta go, he gotta go. :-) Perhaps we need a Seshan to disqualify such rasikas from attending a concert again.