Malayalam Film Song in Karaharapriya

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

That was good to listen to. Such good carnatic songs in Tamil movies are few and far between. I do remember a Karahapariya song in a Tamil movie titled "unnAl mudiyum thambi". I don't remember the lyrics. Tamil movies specialize in sexually suggestive vulgar songs with female sexual gyrations. Who is to blame? The producers claim that they provide what the audience like, since theirs is a money making business enterprise. It appears that Malayalam movies cater to the elite sophisticated audience and win awards, while Tamil movies produce DUBBA movies and make money ! Sad indeed !.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

"It appears that Malayalam movies cater to the elite sophisticated audience and win awards, while Tamil movies produce DUBBA movies and make money ! Sad indeed !."

What a load of nonsense !!

Every movie, be it Hindi, Tamil, Telugu or Malayalam has always a quota of vulgur dances and suggestive dialogues. To single out Tamil movies only smacks of parochialisam....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

At least it was not the way it all started.There were times when "Malayalam" movies stood for something.
But I say all this in pure good humor.

My little town had a sleazy theatre right on the banks of river Thungabhadra , which screened only Malayalam movies.The only way to reach that theatre was to take a small path to the left , right under the window , by the side of which I studied late into the night.
That path took on such an infamous name that anyone one who wanted to take that route for some OTHER reason (like say to cross the bridge to go to the village on the other side) would take a roundabout route for fear of being dubbed as a Malayalam movie goer.
All this would happen after my folks would have retired to bed.The list of people on that road would be a "Whos who" of my small dear town .In the still of the night , after the show was over , the animated conversation in the groups trooping back to their homes used to be equally funny.

The composition of the group who patronised that road , their small talk which looked so different as compared to the brighter part of the day when they were reciting hymns or selling grocery or fore-telling villagers future ---
That was some Growing up in these matters , for the kid behind the study table.
:P

But as I said earlier , all this is in pure jest.All other languages have caught up with this trend mindlessly.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

What a load of nonsense !!
Well, truth hurts sometimes. Malayalam movies score well above most of the ones from the rest of India - Bengali being the only exception.

Tamil movies are just Dubba and nothing else. You do get one or two every year that are somewhat decent, but even these pale in comparison to the good Malayalam movies.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Friends

After a gap of considerable length, I am back to this forum with this first posting. Hope to take part regularly hereafter.

I agree with Sam to the extent that we cannot single out Thamizh Movies for vulgarity since all the movies in all the languages do have a lot or some vulgarity since they need to make money. Similarly they do have violence, group dances, irrelevant scenes etc. But his treating the views of some members as load of nonsense is incorrect. Having seen the ups and downs of the Indian film history, I can emphatically say that definitely 90% of Malayalam movies and Bengali movies are far better than their counterparts in the south, and north. Similarly, Malayalam movies have very good songs as they are mostly based on classical music with divinity unlike Thamizh movies which copies only the Western and Arabian music and it is quite unfortunate that we have no good music directors or lyricists barring Ilaya Raja and Vali (To some extent) since late '60s. Thamizh film music is composed with jarring notes using western instruments mostly, thanks to globalization and the numerous third rate TV channels with worthless DJs. A song stands only if it is made to the situation with meaningful words, composed with classical based tunes and instruments, sung by a singer with clarity (unfortunately many do not know how to speak Thamizh), with natural voice (the drawback with the present day music directors is that they force the singers to sing in false voice or in a pitch that does not suit her or him because there is no originality in the composition) that suits the actor/actress and with full bhaavam. That way the music directors of Malayalam and Bengali films as well as the singers of these domains involve themselves fully with everything without any pretence, which is more glaring in Thamizh movies where we show more without any substance. That is why we have more Super Stars, Singers, Directors et al. For that matter the songs, acting, story, lyrics etc are better in TV serials than in films because there is challenge and competition and involvement. Another aspect is that the way Malayalees respect Carnatic Music we Thamizhans do not. As Jayaram puts truth always hurts and tastes bitter. Let us not confine to worthless ego but learn to appreciate wherever there is good work.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Kutty

Singling out one particular language, however justified it can be, is uncalled for and you just don't do it in a forum visited by wide variety of people from various parts of the country/world. I leave it to your own judgement whether such as act should be left unchallenged !!

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo Everyone,
There was a time when KARAHARA PRIYAA alone had a an unlimited number of songs in Tamil movies.I just want to refresh
my memories to the following list which would have an impact on those who care for classism .
(1)Nee Illamal Anuvum Asaiyumo
(2)Siridum Kavalai padaadE(Mangamma Sabatham)
(3)Bhagavan Avatharippar By Honnappa Bhagavathar(Vaalmiki)
(4)Dayavillaya DayalO (TR.Maha.)
(5)Aatam Enna SolluvEn (P.U.Chinnappa
(6)Maadhavi ponmayilaL thogaivirithaL
(7)MahaRaajan Ulagai AaLalaam (Karnan)
(8)Kaadali Raadayai kalanga vittan
(9)Enna Seidaalum (Motor Sundaram Pillai)
(10)Ariya Paruvamaada (MissiAmma)
(11)Indraiku Yeninda AAnandame
(12)one by K.B.S in Avvayaar
The values cared for by our yester year composers, Music Directors
and producesrs has some how become obsolete in most of the present day films irrespective of their language affinity,for reasons best known to the above segment of people.Rasikas are not at all
to be blamed for the simple reason that even now they are prepared to appreciate songs with classic touch.And only those songs, from time immemorial, have been able to stand the acid test . or atleast ,have never failed to attract people of the present generation too.It is at this juncture , one has to appreciate the TV.Media for their commendable job in propogating the classically oriented programmes VIz Ennodu patu padungal, Sapthaswarangal
thulladamanamum(Podigai channai)Isaiyodu Naan etc. where thousands of youngesters evince immesurable interest in taking part in the programmes, whereby suggesting that the future is defenitely safe . There may be a temporary eclipse, but VALUES , will always triumph !!!
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 30 Apr 2007, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Sam

I do agree with you that singling out a language in a forum is very bad provided the intention is whimsical. If it is a language, your mother tongue or one that is admired by you, are you not having the right to point out when it is degenerated due to the present day politicians, film folks and a few others? The expression arises out of one's inability to tolerate when some do not care for it in heart but pretend to do so. Then for him/her, this is the stage available to express.

Though this message was posted, I did not find it here as such I am reposting it.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Ramaraj

Does 'indraikku e'n indha aanandhamo'?" belong to Karaharapriya or Abogi?

rvmony

Post by rvmony »

About Karaharapriya in Malayalam, like tamil, the raga is used widely by Dakshinamurthy, Devarajan etc...
1. Uthara swayamvaram Kathakali kaanuvaan
2. Asoka poornima vidarurm ravil
3. Kaar koondhal keettnenoru vasana thailam
4. Manjal kilyude?
an so on..

will post later.

R Veeramoney of Trivandrum

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

rvmony - thanks for bringing back old memories...
Utthara swayamvaram is a true classic. Any way we can listen to the song itself?

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Yes Mr.Kutty, I was mistaken .even as I was listening to a Humming by my son, who was enquiring to find out the exact scale from which the tune is derived. Then I discovered that it actually is sri Ranjini and not abhogi. The Kartaha ragam only is K.H.Priya. since there is presence of Ni shadam in it, it must be Sri Ranjini.
Thanks for pointing out the error.
Ramaraj

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Sri Ramaraj is correct, it is in SrIranjani.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Where does the niShAda figure in that song?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

rvmony - isn't Sangamam from Triveni also in Kh.priya?

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/2Uv ... As1NMvHdW/

rvmony

Post by rvmony »

Jayaram.. no Sangamam..is in Sudha Dhanyasi.. Take the following in Sudha Dhanyasi..
Malayalam..

1. Sangamam
2. Karuthapenne..
3. Sundari Ahaaa Sundari
4. Nee evide nin nizhal
5. Swarnathamara etc.. all by Devarajan

and in Tamil

1. Thottal Poo malarum
2. Maasi madham akadhaponnu etc..

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Another set of k.h.priya based songs in Tamil Movies:
Murugan Thirumal Marugan Azhagan (Sri Valli)
Nilayathu ManamE (Aaravalli)
Innisayaai Chenthamizhai irippavanE (By Seerkazhi Govind.Rajan)
Ramaraj

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

rvmony - thanks for the info. I went back and hummed the song again, and you are right. Of course, Hridayasarassiley is in Bhimplas, right?

I came across a Malayalam site where the ragas for several film songs were mentioned. Will try to locate it again.

ramya

Post by ramya »

Can someone give me the lyrics for the title song from the serial 'Swamy Ayyappan'

ramya