Sowmya @ Bharat Sangeet Utsav

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Smt Sowmya - Vocal
Shri RK Shriramkumar - Violin
Shri Neyveli Narayanan - Mrudangam

Date : November 8, 2008
Venue : Narada Gana Sabha Main Hall

1) Sarasuda - Saveri Adi Tala Varnam - S
2) Anupama - Atana - S
3) Upacharamu Jeseva - Bhairavi - AN
4) Diwakara Tanujam - Yadukulakambhoji
5) Yaarukkuthan Theriyum - Devamanohari
6) Nidhi Chala - Kalyani - AST
7) Smara Sundaranguni - Paras Javali
8) Yaarukahilum - Begada Padam
9) Kanda Naal Mudalai - Madhuvanthi - O

It was quite a while since I had heard Sowmya. So I was really looking forward to this concert. And it was no let down. Classicism sans gimmicks has always been her style and it was a nice concert all the way. The Varnam was nicely rendered. The Swarams for Atana were really good especially the final Avarthanam for which the violinist's reply was excellent as well. The Bhairavi Alapanai was emotive and brought out the various hues of Bhairavi succinctly. The Krithi (not the more often heard Upacharamu) was sung well and a fine Neraval was done. The Vara Krithi of Dikshithar and the Devamanohari set up a leisurely mood that was continued in the Kalyani Ragam. A Neraval for the main would have been nice. However, the Krithi was well sung. The Javali and the Padam, to be expected from an artiste like Sowmya were very good. The Madhuvanthi evoked a nice pre-setting to the concert scheduled later on - a Hindusthani recital by Pt Sanjay Abhayankar(didn't stay back for that though).

Shriramkumar gave wonderful support with all his Ragam versions being precise and nice. The Tani by Narayanan was good as well.

Sathej

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Sathej wrote:The Krithi (not the more often heard Upacharamu) was sung well and a fine Neraval was done.
Oh yes, upacAramulanu in Adi 2-kaLai is performed much more than upacAramu jEsE vArunnArani of rUpakam. Perhaps because of the mainability of Bhairavi and Adi 2-kaLai.

Narada

Post by Narada »

Happened to be in Chennai for just one day on Saturday, and managed to catch this concert. Musically, it was very good. But as an outsider/first timer, I must single out the atrocious sound at this venue. The hall was enormous, and as far as I could tell, was served by just two speakers mounted near the stage. Eventhough I paid the Rs.300 for forward seating, the sound was full of echoes - so much so that unless you already knew the song, you can't make out the words of the sahityam. And the faster kalpana swarams just dissolved into a haze of sound, rippling and falling but not clear enough to make anything out.

Did anyone else find this objectionable?

jnaanasoonyam

Post by jnaanasoonyam »

Well, except for the location (bang in the middle of Chennai's carnatic epicentre) and the size of the hall, almost everything about Narada Gana Sabha is objectionable. The sound system is the first of the many woes of this location. Not only Sowmya's, but many other concerts in the series were victims of atrocious acoustics. Carnatica should seriously consider alternate locations for their prestigious fest if the quality of the acoustics is to match the marquee artiste names. Or they could rent outside equipment and shut Murali (the acoustics terrorist of NGS) out of the picture totally. On the day of Unni's performance, there was an outside agency doing the job and the experience was way better...

Other problems... after years of continuous haranguing by rasikas, NGS revamped its toilets earlier this year but maintenance continues to be poor. Automatic flushes don't work due to water shortage and the stink near the entrance was unbearable on most days. Parking... less said the better. The place may seem enormous but in reality there are less than 100 slots for cars, resulting in utter chaos, not only on sell-out days like Vishaka Hari but even on a day of moderate turnout. There are no parking volunteers and people park almost everywhere / anywhere, even at the space reserved for artistes at the rear. There is only so much that an organization that rents the place can do to mitigate these problems when the facility owners don't give a rat's a**...

vijay

Post by vijay »

I agree - NGS really needs to get its act together. A/c, audio, the loos, parking...the list is ominously long. Pity for such a pretigious venue...but then the equally prestigious MFAC next door is even worse...

Sadly, the brand equity that such institutions build takes decades to wear off, if at all. Let us hope NGS/MFAC etc. learn from the likes of KGS and the Academy which have at least attempted to improve things, even if it is sometime's at the expense of the rasika's budget...but then one can't have the cake and eat it too....

Narada

Post by Narada »

Well, to be fair, venues in cities all over the world have serious parking problems. And NGS can't be held responsible for water shortages, traffic etc., BUT the sound is at the heart of what a sabha is offering. It is their "core business". So I find it amazing that it can be so bad.

In the other thread on this festival, there is a lot of handwringing about how people won't pay for CM. Well, if they can hear better sound by buying a 30 rupee cassette, they certainly won't pay for this "concert experience". The live experience should blow you away. Look at the multichannel digital audio systems in most movie theaters, and the enormous screens: that is why people come to theaters even if they could watch the same movie at home on TV.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Yes, the audio system is indeed poor. However, as for live concerts vs recordings, I prefer the former notwithstanding the poor sound quality and the like. The reason being 'recordings' in most cases (including those advertised as live concert recordings) are often edited and manipulated to wipe out errors and so on.
Sathej

vijay

Post by vijay »

I second Sathej...nothing like a live experience, even with poor sound systems etc. - I just don't find the same intensity in a recording...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vijay wrote:I second Sathej...nothing like a live experience, even with poor sound systems etc. - I just don't find the same intensity in a recording...
i have to second that to every syllable. nothing like a live concert experience.

Narada

Post by Narada »

I swear I didn't hear of this before! Someone brought this item in The Hindu to my attention
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thsc ... 2/&prd=th&

They're making a movie of a concert with TM Krishna and Bombay Jayashri! . Quotes from the article:

"Our stages have never looked so aesthetic. None of our concert halls are well-equipped; despite having so many years of the music season, the sound systems are pathetic,"

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Does anyone know when this movie is slated to be released...sounds very interesting!

vijay

Post by vijay »

As per the article, it will be shown at Sathyam on 18th Dece followed by DVD release...sounds interesting (reminds of Arar Asaippadar, the film on Sanjay) and I certainly hope to see it!

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Sounds interesting, not sure what would be the response. It this is movie is about full length concert for 110 minutes, not sure about interest in general public...

May be discussion could be moved to different thread?

-hari

jnaanasoonyam

Post by jnaanasoonyam »

SVK seems to have loved this concert of Sowmya's... for once he has written in an unambiguous style! :)

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/11/21/stor ... 190300.htm

vijay

Post by vijay »

"controlled exposition, as that of Sowmya on that day, touched creative peaks which drew appreciation even from stoic listeners"

He is probably referring to himself!!

rbsiyer

Post by rbsiyer »

jnaanasoonyam wrote:SVK seems to have loved this concert of Sowmya's... for once he has written in an unambiguous style! :)
muts have brought along his hearing aid for a change!