Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
Who is the composer of the shlOka that precedes the main song in the clip? Is it the Maharaja?
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Hi everyone.
It feels great to be getting back into our thread. What with my exams and my laptop playing up as well, I was unable to contribute for this long. anyway, here is the next one

padmanAbham bhajE in yadukula kAmbOdhi rendered by R.K.Padmanabha and D.V.Nagaraja. I am posting it in WMA forma as I found that to be the best sound quality and also small file size. I can post in mp3 if you want, but I believe WMA is giving better sound quality.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8407303/padm ... E.wma.html

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mAtu for || padmanAbham bhajEham ||

rAga: yadukulakAmbOdhi ; Adi tALa

padmanAbham bhajEham santatam |
padmacaraNa SObhitam lakShmIkAntam||P||

padmadaLAyatAkShI sEvitam |
parama kRpAnvitam anantam ||AP||

SaSAnkaSEkhara priyamitram |
daSAvatAra vidita sucaritram |
SaSiravi kulOddhArakam SrIkaram |
duShTa dAnava haram dAmOdaram ||
SEShaSAyinam SrIvidyA kRtArcanam yadukulakAmbOdhi SaSinam ||C||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Notes on || padmanAbham bhajEham ||

rAga: yadukula kAmbOdhi ; Adi tALa

padmanAbham bhajEham santatam- I ever sing praise of padmanAbha.
padma caraNa SObhitam- Him with lotus feet; lakShmIkAntam- Lord of lakShmI.

SaSAnka SEkhara priyamitram- The beloved friend of ISvara(Who wears the moon on His head.)
daSAvatAra vidita sucaritram- Him whose attributes are eulogised in the 10 avatAras/incarnations;
SaSi ravi kula uddhArakam- the redeemer of the solar race(as rAma) and the lunar race(as kRSha); SrIkaram- Him Who gives prosperity;
duShTa dAnava haram- The decimator of the cruel/wayward rAShas;
dAmOdaram- Him Whose belly/waist was tied by a rope;

SEShaSAyinam- Him reclining on a snake;
SrIvidyA krTArcanam- Him worshipped by SrIvidyA(pArvatI) or Him Who practised SrIvidyA;
yadukulakAambOdhi SaSinam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome back DRS!
It was dull without you. Now let us makeup for lost time!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The last line is a real beauty indeed. Though traditionally ambhodi is ocean, we can derive it also as ambOdhi ( ambaH ( water) + dhi (container). However the fly in the ointment is that the raga is spelt as yadukulakAmbOdi. Any idea as to how to cross this hurdle?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

However the fly in the ointment is that the raga is spelt as yadukulakAmbOdi. Any idea as to how to cross this hurdle?
Can you explain what you mean by this?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The raga name is 'yadukulakAmbodi' and not 'yadukulakAmbOdhi'. Some also write as 'yadukulakAmbhOji'. I am not sure which is authentic!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
Welcome back!
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

finally green light :) welcome back DRS

cml
its Yadukulakambhoji

"Historical References:

Studies reveal that a type of kAmbhOji sung by the 'yerukala' tribe supposedly resembled yadukula kAmbhOji, hence scholars trace the origin of yerukala kAmbhOji, which came to be known as yadukula kAmbhOji later due to the influence of Sanskrit. paN sevvazhi of ancient tamizh isai corresponds to yadukula kAmbhOji. It can thus be inferred that this melody belonged to an early period. Though there is no reference of this name in the ancient granthas, later authors like Sahaji (rAga lakShaNamu) and Tulaja (sangIta sArAmrta), who lived in the first half of the 18th Century, have dealt with the rAga 'yerukala' kAmbhOji. Muddu Venkatamakhin in the anubandha of caturdanDiprakAsika, classifies yadukula kAmbhOji as a janya of harikEdAragauLa mELa. By then the rAga must have been existent as a mainstream Carnatic classical rAga, and one of the early genuine versions of yadukula kAmbhOji is the composition 'ikShvAku kula tilaka' of Bhadrachalam Ramadasar (17th Century). Kshetrayya (17th Century) and Sarangapani, who lived in the latter half of the 17th Century, have composed padams in this rAga. The unique, classic status that yadukula kAmbhOji enjoys today should be credited to all the three members of the Trinity who have added depth and refinement to the rAga through their masterly treatment."
~source sangeetham

"Govindacharya, has used the name "Yadukulakambhoji" in the Sangeeta Saramrita, which shows that the current name was established in the pre-Trinity era. Thus, we can assume that the raga originated in 16th - 17th century AD and was widely accepted in the latter half of the 17th century AD."
~source carnatica

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena
for that interesting historical explanation. Odeyaar may be knowing it but he wanted to make a play on the words and hence used a popular (mis)expression ;-)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Friends

Maharaja JCRW 's sister Rani Vijaya Devi passed away today

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Condolence

Was she musically oriented too!
How old was she?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

My condolences too.

Here is an article that appeared a month ago:
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanheral ... 051028.asp

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks for the reference!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Thanks chembai,

i had not read that article, though i am a member of the society !

Here is an article which appeared based on my inputs:

http://starofmysore.com/main.asp?type=news&item=8107

( issue dated December 10)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Late Rani Vijaya devi learnt veena from asthan vidwan veena venkatagiriappa.

Interestingly He also composed a pancharatna raga malika on the occasion of the princess's wedding - " sri chamundambika varade" in hindi. Princess's name is embedded in the pallavi. The ragas incorporated were hindola, khamaj, hamsanandi, mohana and madhyamavati.

Dr. Meera Rajaram Pranesh, who has authored a book called - Musical Composers during wodeyar Dynasty, got the book released by Rani Vijaya devi on March 30, 2003. She also performed on this occasion and the performance included the above pancharatna raga malike.

Princess founded the society to full fill the last wishes of her brother and She organized a memorial concert in his memory at ravindra kalakshetra on April 3, 1978 in association with the karnataka ganakala parishat.

sri mahaganapathim -athana, ksheerasagara shayana- mayamalagaula, sri jalanadhara -gambeera nata, sujanadyineem - suddha salavi, gam ganapathe- durvanki, bhoori bhagaya lahari- pratapavarali, matanaga kanaya-suddha todi, sankari sadananda lahari-malavi, siva siva bho - nadanamakriya were rendered by smt. seetalakshmi venkateshan, Smt. T.S.Rama, sri. R.K.srikantan, and Sri H.K. Narayan.

A commemorative souvenir was also released on the occasion, which included articles, by princess herself, Dr. Narayana Menon, Prof. V.L. D?souza, Sri. BVK sastry, Sri. S.Krishna Murthy, Sri. K.Gurudat . Dr. V. Raghavan,
Dr. V.Doreswamy Iyengar and others.

During the course of the discussions on oDeyar in this thread I have profusely used the articles from this souvenir.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

RCji,

Link given by you does not show the article.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes RC
The page is blank!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Yes RC
The page is blank!
Sorry, by the time you loggedin, it may have moved to archives !

best is to log on http://starofmysore.com/ and then click under archives for issue dated 10december and you should be able to find the article.

Any way there is nothing new in the article except that i sent it to four main line news papers of bangalore and one to star of mysore . Only inidian express carried the news and all others simply ignored it and there was no news anouncing the death either. It is just a reflection of our times !

meena

Post by meena »

cml

Here is the article that RC is refering to: Star of Mysore-

" RANI VIJAYA DEVI PASSES AWAY

Mysore, Dec. 10 (OSR)- Rani Vijaya Devi (83), passed away on December 8, at a private Hospital in Bangalore.

Rani Vijaya Devi Kotda Sangani was the eldest daughter of Late Yuvaraja Kanteerava Narasimha Raja Wadiyar and sister of Late Maharaja Jayachamaraja Wadiyar. Her early formative years were spent in the Palace, where the family's rich cultural atmosphere left a deep impression on her.

The young princess steeped in Karnatak music and dance, became proficient in playing veena. At the age of six, she also commenced formal piano lessons at the Palace, and passed the Fellowship examination of the Trinity College of Music, London, under the tutelage of Dr. Alfred Mistowski, Professor of Trinity College.

After her marriage to the Thakore Saheb of Kotda Sangani in 1941, Rani Vijaya Devi continued studying the piano in India, and later at the Julliard School of Music, New York, with Professor Edward Steuermann, during her husband's diplomatic posting there.

An accomplished concert pianist, she recorded for radio and television, and appeared in concerts in Hong Kong and India.

She was the Founder President of The International Music and Arts Society, Bangalore. It was established to augment Bangalore's existing cultural scene by providing an international forum for Indian and for-eign musicians and artistes. Designed by the English artist-dramatist-teacher, the late David Horsburgh, the Society's logo embodies the spirit of the arts of both East and West.

Over the last twenty-five years, the Society has worked in collaboration with other organisations such as the ICCR and USIS, and European embassies and cultural centres. This effort has enabled a wide audience to enjoy the works of some of the finest international exponents of the performing and visual arts of our time.

The past Patrons of the Society have included the Governors of Karnataka and the late Rukmini Devi Arundale, and currently, the Governor of Maharshtra S. M. Krishna, and Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wadiyar.

MMA's memoir"

The Mysore Music Association (MMA), Mysore, has in a press release deeply grieved the sad demise of Rani Vijaya Devi.

She was a patron of the Association since its inception and was an accomplished pianist. She had given a performance for the Association during Nov. 1972, the release said.

She had contributed immensely towards music in general and particularly for the growth of the Association.

R.N. Murthy, President Sr. John and other members of the Association have expressed their condolences to the family members of Rani Vijaya Devi.

Sr. John recalls

Rani Vijaya Devi was known to me since 1935. I remember the days when we used to get together and have musical afternoons. Rani Vijaya Devi was also a good Cello player as well as on the veena.

I feel indeed privileged to have met her a fortnight ago in Bangalore. She was quite clear in her mind and spoke about the past and the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Convent, who taught her music. A friend is gone. My deep condolences to the family members.

? Sister John"

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Meena for retrieving!

meena

Post by meena »

Hi folks
Is everyone taking a break???

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Well as DRS is on a long sabbatical, i will try and interlude ( time permitting) with some u/l to keep the rasikas entertained:

Please d/l

http://rapidshare.de/files/9229307/Neela1.mpg.html

This is a long d/l ( 50MB) of Video clipping of Smt. Radhika Nandakumar's dance performance to Sri Nanadakumar's rendering of JCRW's kRuti: nIlakaMThaM mahAdEvaM in rAga gamakakRiyA( pUrvkalyANi) and KaMDa tripuTa tALa.

Hope you will be able to d/l and enjoy

meena

Post by meena »

RC
Thanks for second video clip, i guess the editing was done a wee bit early ;) enjoyed. thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
Thanks for the clip: Do you know what school of dance Mrs. Radhika is from? Another question for you: Did you already load the second part of the previous piece?
Thanks.
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

shankar

the first video clip that RC u/l was kamalAMbikE -nATa and the second one was todays u/l-nIlakaMThaM, i guess my post was confusing ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena/RC:
Neither of the clips were of the entire piece, right? I was under the impression that they would be loaded in bits, and was wondering if the entire 1st piece was uploaded!
Ravi

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Ravi,

i agree i never uploaded the entire piece. I have two more kRuti's. After that if required i will upload entire dance sequence( in bits). I have the approval of Sri. Nandakumar to do it, but the real problem is in uploading. Yesterday's effeort took one hour to do it and used the time to complete the article on MV ! Well it was 1-30 in the night !!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
Thanks for the update, and I appreciate all your efforts. You have been so wonderful with sharing everything you know/have, that we are all truly grateful.
I was just wondering if I had missed your other uploads!
Ravi

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Ravi,

Thanks for your fine sentiments. But you should thank chembai for giving us all an opportunity to be part of this great dissemination of information and knowledge and above all this fraternity of people who have never seen each other, sitting in their homes across the globe and yet feel the bonhomie.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Please d/l

http://rapidshare.de/files/9345524/vaMd ... E.MPG.html

for video clips of vaMdEhaM shive in rAga kadana kutUhala and caturashra maThya tALa

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Here is next clip from mahiShAsura mardini in nAmanArayaNi rAga and KaMDa tripuTa tALa :

http://rapidshare.de/files/9400762/mahiShasura.MPG.html

What next ???

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanku RC d/l the video.

"What next ???" how abt u/l the next AIR clip IF u have, since Kji is waiting for the DSL access.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Meena,

I do not have AIR clips but I have scoured my own resources and I feel this composition has not been u/l and discussed.

Kindly d/l

http://rapidshare.de/files/9859269/D11RNS.mp3.html

Since it is from concert performance, recording quality is not good. sorry !

Hope DRS will come out of his hibernation and get cracking once again!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

mAthu of this oDeyar composition is as under:

|| shaMkari sadAnaMda lahari ||

rAga: mALavi ; Adi tALa

|| pallavi ||

|| shaMkari sadAnaMda lahari pAhi ||
|| shivAnaMdakari shree girirAja kumAri ||

|| anupallavi ||

|| sharadiMdu vadane sumanOhari ||
|| shaMkaraguhamOde shreevidyAroopiNi ||
|| shAkaMbari shAtOdari shApavimOchanakari shyAmalasuMdari ||

|| charaNa ||

|| anAtharakShaki bRuhannAyaki ||
|| anAdiguru saMpradAya darshaki ||
|| saraseeruhAsana sumanOllAsini ||
|| sahasrakiraNAdi suraguNapAlini sahasra sooryaprakAshini ||
|| aharnishi kaivalyAnaMdadAyini ahaMtAteeta manOnmani ||

Surpirsingly rAga mudra is missing !

rAga mALavi is vakra-upAMga in 28th harikAMbOdhi.

CML/DRS it is your turn now.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC
Thanks very much.
I am sure DRS will pitch in soon. If not give me some time to get organized.

Badri

Could we have any notable kritis in MaaLavi. I am sure you will find Nenerunchinaaanu of Thyagaraja and Idinyaayamaa of Patnam which SSI has rendered soulfully. Would love an RTP if there is one... Thanks

meena

Post by meena »

thanks RC

Listening to the clip, live concert recording, dont worry abt. the quality of the recording. who is the artist? any info?

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

CML,

may be you could add Dr.HMB's nIlalOhita to the list.

meena,

It is Dr.R.N.Srilatha- recorded almost a decade ago!

meena

Post by meena »

nenarunchinAnu annTiki - mAlavi - tyAgarAja:

deleted

abadri

Post by abadri »

CMLsir,

Malavi kritis - I'm sure we'll find plenty of examples of
Nenarunchi & Iti Nyayama. Here are some you didn't mention.

1. Voleti with Spencer Venugopal's Rama Nee Dasu
[rapidshare link removed]

2. OST with Walajahpet Venkataramana Bhagavatar's Bhajare Sri Rama

3. SKR with GNB's Mariveregati

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Badri! Any luck on RTP?
I am still hoping DRS will pitch in!

Can anybody add more musical trivia on Malavi?

meena

Post by meena »

rAgA mAlavi

An ubhaya vakra sampoorna janya raga derived from the 28th mela harikamboji. The notes taken by the raga are shadja, chatusruti Ri, antara Ga, sudha Ma, Pa, chatusruti Dha and kaishiki Ni. An upanga raga and Ri, Ma and Ni are the raga chaya svaras well when sung in madhyamakala tempo. The raga came to prominence through the compositions of Tyagaraja.Malavi raga of hindustani music has no resemblance to this raga.

compositions:
nennarunchinanu- T
iti nyayama- PSI
marivere gati- GNB
ninnuvina veravaru- GNB
nilalohita -HMB
srikanda dayanide- HMB

~Ragas in Carnatic Music by Dr. S Bhagyalekshmi

abadri

Post by abadri »

Thanks Badri! Any luck on RTP?
CMLsir, no luck. Sorry.

meena

Post by meena »

Happy New Year my fellow rasikas!

I hope this new year gets us ALL back together again in listening/discussing wonderful CM compositions.
So i shall kick-off by u/l - the AIR kriti-

kAmAkShi pAhimAM . rAga: shivakAMbOji; KaMDatripuTa tALa
deleted

Text as posted by RC on forumhub:

|| kAmAkShi pAhimAM ||

rAga: shivakAMbOji; KaMDatripuTa tALa

|| pallavi ||

|| kAmAkShi pAhimAM meenAkShi ||
|| kaMjadaLAyatAkShi karuNAkaTAkShi ||

|| anupallavi ||

|| kAmAri manOhari kaumAri gauri ||
|| kamala padashObhitE shree tripurasuMdari ||
|| kAmEpsitakari kAmakOTinilayE ||
|| shree vidyEshvari kAmajanaka sahOdari||

|| charaNa ||

|| shivakAMbOjirAga saMtOShitE ||
|| shiShTAchAra paripAlana niratE ||
|| shivashaMkari nata shaMkareeti viKyAtE ||
|| shiShya samEta mahAmuni vaMditE||
|| sarvabhavarOgahara tAraka svaroopayutE ||
|| sarvalOkaparipAlana niratE ||

Note: a rare rAga composition.

-----------------------------------------------
- DRS
i hope u take from here!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great Meena!

DRS do please help us with 'sivakAmbOji'. This lyric can be used for performing an archana to dEvI...
kAmAkShi pAhimAM
meenAkShi pAhimAM etc etc..

shiShTAchAra paripAlana niratE has special Srividya (Tantric) connotations. Anybody want to help...

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Last time DRS discussed (where are you, we see your name regularly on - on line today- list?) was on || padmanAbham bhajEham || in rAga: yadukulakAmbOdhi ; Adi tALa and now we are discussing || kAmAkShi pAhimAM ||
rAga: shivakAMbOji; KaMDatripuTa tALa .

Where as the first one was bAshaMga janya in 28th harikAMbhOji and the later is upAMga janya of the same rAga.

It would be interesting if some one will throw more light on the origin of the rAga
(Cambodia?) and also about rAvaNa's singing of this rAga to please shiva . Kindly discuss.

Also in the present composition if you closely observe in appalavi and anupallavi we have deliberate use of words starting with "kA" (nine times) and in charaNa we have words starting with " sha" (five times)

Where as ka / nine and navavAraNA AND similarly sha / five and shiva connection all seems to be premeditated use by the composer. CML can you throw some light on this ?

meena

Post by meena »

What is the origin of the name kAmbhOji?
Did it derive from Cambodia (kampucia), where there was a flourishing Hinduism during the 13th century (the famous Vishnu temple at Angkor)?

The first ever mention of the location ?kAmbhOja? appears in the vaMsha brAhmaNa of the sAma vEdam, where the .rSi ?aupamanyava kAmbhOja? is mentioned. Mahabharatam (udyOga paRvam 4/15, and sAnti paRvam 207/43) mentions kAMbhOja giving the location as ?uttara patha? (norrthern region). Ramayana (bAlakANdam 6/22, kiSkindA kANDAm 43/11-12) refer to a region called ?kAmbhOja?, again located in the north-west region. Also, we find this geographical name mentioned in various sanskrit kAvyams of the Kalidasa era. In Raghuvamsam, there is a reference to a kAmbhoja ruler whom Raghu conquered (4th sargam verse 69). It is quite possible that some location near ayOdhya might be the ?kAmbhOja? region..

and about rAvaNa's singing of this rAga to please shiva was discussed on:
DELETED

cml do post ur version, if u know.
Last edited by meena on 08 May 2008, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kAmbhOji originated from the word khAmbhOj, a place in northern India. The rAgA is said to have been once popular in HM. suraTi is another rAgA that originated with sOrath which is also a hindustani rAgA (like huseni).
I can try to find more info if you want.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kAmbhOja is said to have been in present-day Afghanistan. Many of the place names got carried with people to the Far East(Indonesia, Malaysia, Burmese archipelago). It is an ancient version of "New" York, "New" Jersey, "New" England etc. History indeed repeats itself! Any way I am back from this trip to far-off lands(Only joking). I have been caught up with and distracted by several things and hence this silence from my side. Hopefully this wont happen again. Wish u all a happy, prosperous, healthy and a music-filled new year.