What's the raga? Again #6

Rāga related discussions
arunk

Post by arunk »

http://sunson.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/ ... c-music-6/

Enjoy! This one should pose an interesting challenge (I think)

Any comments/opinions as before are always appreciated! If possible, please comment on the blog
Note - answers are on the post itself and "hidden" until revealed. So to let others enjoy the post, please do not post the direct answer here - please do not be "that friend who blurts out the raga before we can figure it out" . I just want people to enjoy some rare pieces (atleast what I think are rare - may not be rare to all) and get their own individual satisfaction in getting the raga.

Thanks
Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

For once I could pat myself for getting the raga and the singer right after the vocal+violin!
The violin alone gave me no help at all! In fact i am quite familiar with this raga since it is used often is harikathas for effectiveness. For some reason the raga does not sound like its mother at all :)
probably MD brought it from the north :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arun: My experience did not quite fit into your expectations. During the Violin alone, I did get the feel of the ‘L’ you speak of and the melakartha. During the vocal + Violin, there are enough of the melakartha and enough to say it is not that raga. After the raga was revealed, I told myself I know this raga but I did not sense it at all. Then listened to the first audio after the reveal, still nothing. But the last one by Nedunoori, Bamm..right at the first instant, I got the feel of the raga"¦May be my view of this raga is very uni dimensional. My reference is one song by DKJ ( may be that is the thillana ) and part of Dikku theriyada kAttil. I have not heard the female singer much so I was not surprised I did get the singer. I need to check her out, quite a unique bass voice for a contemporary singer.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Arun,
First I thought 'L', and then, 'no, 'may be this very rAgA', but again I was not sure. Resembled the most familiar 'beginner's' rAga, it seemed, and then Nedunuri gave it away.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

After listenin only to the violinist, it seemed to be L. But then the artiste's swaras indicated otherwise. I was jus rackin my brains n readin the rest of the stuff you'd written.The word tillAnA was enuf. It struck me immediately :) Didn't need to listen to Nedunuri garu's song... Good one, seriously! <thumbs up>

mohan

Post by mohan »

vasanthakokilam wrote: My reference is one song by DKJ ( may be that is the thillana )
There are a couple of javali-s in this raga. DKP/DKJ have sung the one by Patnam Subramania Iyer the starts with 'chelineli'. The other famous one is Dharmapuri Subbaraya's 'smara sungarAnguni'.

I too fell into the L trap after hearing the violin!

arasi

Post by arasi »

SonnadellAm maRandArO, ennai SOdanai seyyat tuNindArO? Don't know the composer.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Mohan, yes, that padam by DKJ is what I was thinking of. What I still do not understand is, without going through the swara identification route and mapiing it to Aro/Ava, is there enough of this raga in that kalpanaswaram section by the vocalist and violinist? Whereas the beginning few seconds of Nedunoori, DKJ and GNB reflects the raga right away.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi wrote:SonnadellAm maRandArO, ennai SOdanai seyyat tuNindArO? Don't know the composer.
ha wonderful kharaharpriya! Still ringing in my years after such a long time!
Can't recall the composer, but was sung by Vasundhara (Vyjayantimala's mother)

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
No. I didn't meanthat one. It is in rAgam (#6) that I have heard it in. Haven't heard Vasundara's KHP. Are the lyrics the same??
AP: SenneR kazhani SUzhum...
C: varuvAr varuvAr enRu varum vazhi mEl vizhiyAi ninREn tOzhi

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

This was a great one-I didn’t get it at all, though the L was lingering in the back of my mind. Didn’t catch the panchamam. I have only heard srI sukra and trilOka mAtananu in this raga and never with alapanai. Very educative. Thanks, Arun, and keep the series going!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yep arasi! The lyric is coming to mind
Didn't MLV sing it in some movie?
Shankar may know it!