Composition&Works of Jagadgurus of Sringagiri Sharada Peetam

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
mahesh3

Composition&Works of Jagadgurus of Sringagiri Sharada Peetam

Post by mahesh3 »

We will discuss the lives, works and compositions for, by and of the divine Mahaswaminahs of Sri Dakshinamaya Sringeri Sharada Maha Peetham, established as the first and foremost of mathAs (seat of learning) by Sri Shankara BhagavatpAda.

Sri Shankara Bhagavatpada came to Sringeri looking to establish a peetha (seat of learning) for SharadambAl, where on the bank of the Tunga river, he saw an unusual sight. A cobra spread out its hood over a frog in labour pains, in order to protect the pregnant frog from the scorching sun. WonderStuck with the sanctity of the place, which could infuse love between natural adversaries, the MahAswAminAh chose Sringagiri to set up a Mutt. He spent there over 12 years of his all-too precious life of 32 years. This should give us an idea of the esteem the great Shankaracharya had for this holy spot. Sringeri also finds mention in Srimad Ramayana and upanishads as the abode of the great sage, Rishyashringa, after whom it is thus named. You can read more @ http://www.sringeri.net.

Here is an authentic pic of Sringeri SAradAmbA...

A speech by the current Jagadguru, Sri Bharathi Teertha Mahaswamigal delivered in chaste Tamizh in the year 1987, imploring us to indulge in noble deeds:

http://rapidshare.de/files/30880929/_-___9_.mp3.html

I would like to start with a shlokham on Ratnagarbha Ganapathi, the form of Vinayaka who is worshipped first everyday by the incumbent Jagadguru prior to commencing the Chandramoulishwara Puja. Sri Adishankara is reported to have worshipped the Ratnagarbha Ganapathi and the spatika linga as part of the Chandramoulishwara pujA.

Sringeri Lineage has been unbroken since the establishment of the peetha. Here is the list of Jagadgurus with their estimated periods of reign:

Guru Parampara (The Unbroken Chain)
Sri Sharada Peetam, Sringeri

JAGADGURUS (Period of Reign)

1. Sri Sankara Bhagavatpada A.D. 820 (Videha-mukti)
2. Sri Suresvaracharya 0820-0834
3. Sri Nityabodaghana 0834-0848
4. Sri Jnanaghana 0848-0910
5. Sri Jnanottama 0910-0954
6. Sri Jnanagiri 0954-1038
7. Sri Simhagiri 1038-1098
8. Sri Iswara Tirtha 1098-1146
9. Sri Narasimha Tirtha 1146-1229
10. Sri Vidya Sankara Tirtha 1229-1333
11. Sri Bharatikrishna Tirtha 1333-1380
12. Sri Vidyaranya 1380-1386
13. Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati I 1386-1389
14. Sri Narasimha Bharati I 1389-1408
15. Sri Purushottama Bharati - I 1408-1448
16. Sri Sankara Bharati 1448-1455
17. Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati II 1455-1464
18. Sri Narasimha Bharati II 1464-1479
19. Sri Purushottama Bharati II 1479-1517
20. Sri Ramachandra Bharati 1517-1560
21. Sri Narasimha Bharati III 1560-1573
22. Sri Narasimha Bharati IV 1573-1576
23. Sri Narasimha Bharati V 1576-1600
24. Sri Abhinava Narasimha Bharati 1600-1623
25. Sri Sacchidananda Bharati I 1623-1663
26. Sri Narasimha Bharati VI 1663-1706
27. Sri Sacchidananda Bharati II 1706-1741
28. Sri Abhinava Sacchidananda Bharati I 1741-1767
29. Sri Narasimha Bharati VII 1767-1770
30. Sri Sacchidananda Bharati III 1770-1814
31. Sri Abhinava Sacchidananda Bharati II 1814-1817
32. Sri Narasimha Bharati VIII 1817-1879
33. Sri Sacchidananda Sivabhinava Narasimha Bharati 1879-1912
34. Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati III 1912-1954
35. Sri Abhinava Vidya Tirtha 1954-1989
36. Sri Bharathi Tirtha 1989-Present
Last edited by mahesh3 on 06 Sep 2006, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thank you for starting the thread Mahesh. If you have, please do upload speeches in acca kannaDa as well. And of course more kRtis.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

The first shlokham is a description of the Sringeri Peetham and the Gods/Goddesses worshipped by Shankara BhagavatpAda:

Rathnagarbha GanesAnam Chandramoulincha ShAradha
Vandhe Jagadhgurum SarvAm ShAradhapeetha Susthitha
Rishyashringa PurAdheesham TungAteera NivAsinam
BhakthA Modapradham Vande Shri VidyAteertham Mahagurum

The second shlokham witten on the current pontiff of the Sharadha Peetham, Sri Bharathi Theertha MahaswAminah goes like this:

Thadanthe vAsinam divyathejo vidyAbhishobinam
Vandhe Sri BhArathiteertham Prasannamukha pankajam
Last edited by mahesh3 on 27 Aug 2006, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

jvalatkAntivahnIm jaganmOhanAngIm |
bhajE mAnasAbhOja subhrAnta bhRngIm |
nijastOtra sangIta nRtyaprabhAngIm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm
||7|| SAradA bhujanga

I perpetually sing praise of that Mother SArade Whose resplendence is like that of fire; Who enchants the whole universe; Who is the bee that keeps encircling and drinking from the lotus of Her devotees' heart; Whose has an aura of splendour is produced by music, dance and prayers in praise of Her; Ever I pray to that Mother SArade.

This is just one beautiful verse from the SAradA bhujanga of SrI SankarAcArya. The other 7 are equally beautiful. I recall this particular verse as vid||R.K.Padmanabha renders this with great bhAva. His mother is SAradamma. SAradAmbe is the Mother of all!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear DRS, please post the meaning of the rest of the verses whenever you can.
drshrikaanth wrote:I recall this particular verse as vid||R.K.Padmanabha renders this with great bhAva.
Also, I would be grateful if you could post a rendition of the bhujanga stOtram.
Last edited by mnsriram on 27 Aug 2006, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Sriram
I have uploaded SAradA bhujangaprayAta stOtra rendered by an unknown artiste. This is incomplete. Kiransurya had originally posted it early on in the thread on my compositions. i wonder if he can post the full stOtra.

Click here to download SAradA bhujanga stOtra.WMA

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS. I am unable to download this right now but will try again later.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

drshrikaanth wrote:Kiransurya had originally posted it early on in the thread on my compositions. i wonder if he can post the full stOtra.
DRS
I dont have full recording of the stotra. Artiste is P.B Srinivas (???)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Sad you dont have the full version Kiran. The artiste is definitely not P.B.Srinivas. Sounds more like Ghantasala.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Dr Shrikant,

The first ShAradambAL stotram translation you provided was beautiful. Ideal start. Can you translate the other 7 also, before we proceed. Thanks

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Adi SankarAcArya being the first in the line of the gurus and the one who established th SRngEri sarvaj~na pITha, it is only natural that we discuss his stOtra first.

As an introduction, SAradA bhujanga stOtra is composed in the "bhujangaprayAta" vRtta/ metre. As with all vRttas, this vRtta too consists of 4 pAdas or feet/lines. Each line consists of 12 akSharas/sylllables distributed across 4 "ya" gaNas. yagaNa is of the form of 1 laghu(kuRil) followed by 2 gurus(neDil). laghu is represented as "U" while guru is represented as "__". So, the bhujangaprayAta metres can be represented thus

*4 pAdas.

(bhujangaprayAtam caturbhiH yakAraiH)

This falls under the jagati variety as it contains 12 akSharas. The name means "The movement (prayAta) of a snake(bhujanga)". A very apt name as the yagaNa moves very much in a serpentine manner, twiesting a little to one side and more to the other side. There are many stOtras set to this metre (subrahmaNya bhujanga).

prashant

Post by prashant »

Dr. Shrikaanth: Violin Vidwan Sri RK Shriramkumar has tuned the Sharada Bhujangam beautifully as a ragamalika in naLinakAnti, nATakurinji, sri, kIravANi, latAngi, sAmA, jaganmOhini and cArukESi. Sri Vijay Siva renders this very frequently. I have a recording of Smt. Jayashri singing this but am unsure if this is in the public domain or not therefore am refraining from posting it currently.

Looking forward to your explanation.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Prashant
Thanks for the info. Would be a treat to hear the rAgamAlike. If by smt.Jayashri, you mean Bombay Jayashri, then we will leave it out.

I will take up one verse every day and post the meanings. If others come up with something, please dont hesitate to post it here. We can have discussions in parallel (Mahesh3 agreeing).

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

suvakShOjakumbhAm sudhApUrNa kumbhAm |
prasAdAvalambAm prapuNyAvalambAm |
sadAsyEndu bimbAm sadAnOShTha bimbAm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||1||

I ever sing praise of that Mother SArade Who has full breasts like pots;- pots that are filled with nectar; Her Who is inclined to granting wishes; Her Who is followe/depended upon by the righteous and the virtuous; Her Whose lovely face is the full moon; Her Whose lips are full and red like the bimba fruit(toNDe haNNu, kOvaippazham).

[Note: For "sadAnOShTha bimbAm, the book released by the kAncI pITha also gives the meaning of "Her with lips that utter.give rise to nectarine words".]

prashant

Post by prashant »

If by smt.Jayashri, you mean Bombay Jayashri, then we will leave it out.
Yes, it is sung by her. I'll try and dig up something that is not commercial and post it here when I am back home in a few days.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

"sadAnOShTha bimbAm"

lips which always confer boons...is what my perimma, fairly well versed in sanskrit proposes....

DrShrikant, please continue. We can discuss what anybody wants! I have a couple of krithis on SharadAmbAl written by the current Jagadguru, Sri Bharathi Teertha MahaswAminAh that I have succeeded in finding, though I recorded it when it was tuned and rendered in the Sringeri Mutt by my uncle. I will upload it soon this week as soon as I convert it from tape.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 28 Aug 2006, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks Mahesh and Prashant.

Prashant, while you look for a recording, I have tuned the first verse in nATa. I have also composed a ciTTeswara. The tALa is khaNDacApu with atIta graha. I will put up one verse a day, both meanings and recordings. By SAradAmbe's grace and gaNapati's blessings, it will come out well.

Click here to download SAradA bhujanga 1- nATa.wma

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mahesh3 wrote:"sadAnOShTha bimbAm"

lips which always confer boons...is what my perimma, fairly well versed in sanskrit proposes....
mahesh, could you please ask your doDDamma to split the words and derive the meaning so that we can understand better?

sa+dAna= sadAna; can be interpreted as boon-bestowing; "sa" also means knowledge and so sadAna means "boon of knowledge/bestowing knowledge)" which is very apt. This far is ok.

But when we combine sadAna + OShTha which means the lip (upper), we should get sadANauShTha according to sandhi rules. CML can throw light on this and say if this exception can be allowed.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

drshrikaanth wrote:I have tuned the first verse in nATa. I have also composed a ciTTeswara. The tALa is khaNDacApu with atIta graha. I will put up one verse a day, both meanings and recordings. By SAradAmbe's grace and gaNapati's blessings, it will come out well.
Wow! This is wonderful. Thanks DRS. I came across the sAradA bhujanga stOtram on the internet about 3 years back and liked the flow of words and learnt it then and I recite it everyday. I have always wanted to be able to sing it as a rAgamAlika. Thanks for the meanings and for setting it to tune :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS
mahesh3 wrote:
"sadAnOShTha bimbAm"

is quite right. There is a special grammatical rule which permits the suppresion of akaaram or aakaaram in sandhi with OShTha. observe
bimba +OShTha =bimbOShTha
Hence
sadAnOShTha bimbAm would mean certainly an image (icon) with boon-giving lips...

Enjoying your nice interpretaitons; awaiting other scintillating ragas..
Pl post the ciTTasvarams too for our benefit!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Yes of course. How could I forget bimbOShTha. It was staring right at my face. Thanks CML.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara in nATa

S || R , R , S | N# , S R , | G , M P M | G M R , S ||
|R , G , M | P N P S* N | R* , S* N P | S* , N P M ||
|G M P M , P - P N S* R* | , S*- R* G* M* R* , S* N S* ||
|R* R* , S* N P- S* S* , N | P M- N P , M R S-

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover wrote:Hence
sadAnOShTha bimbAm would mean certainly an image (icon) with boon-giving lips...
Here bimba refers to the fruit as I have mentioned earleir. It does not mean an image/icon here. AcArya is visualising Her person here. Not Her image.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks for the ciTTa. What is the taaLam?
Yes indeed he is seeing her in person!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

khaNDa cApu with atIta graha. The first syllable(laghu) falls before the start of the tALa.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Nice tuning DRS Sir. RKS's tuning is in tisra laghu. I am unable to find another recording [I thought I had one by Vijay Siva but I can't seem to find it]. If you are really keen to listen to it, I could sing it and upload it when I am back home next week [but that would probably lead to an exodus of members from this forum, so I don't know if that's such a good idea ;-)].

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

LOL. Anyway, Iam game for it. Please do sing and upload. At least we will have an idea.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent upload of your rendition of your tuning, DRS. I liked it on all counts. Raga, thala, the chittaswaram and your singing. Thanks.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

DrShrikant, nice renedition. Nattai is an apt start. Let us proceed, we will wait for your translations, as they are detailed and accurate.

kaTAkShE dayArdrAm karE j~nAnamudrAm |
kalAbhir vinidrAm kalApaiH subhadrAm |
purastrIm vinidrAm purastungabhadrAm |
bhajE SaradAmbAm ajasram madAmbAm ||2||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Mahesh
I have just made some corrections & changes in the verse 2 you posted. Hope you dont mind.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Absolutely not! Pls proceed sir :)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Meaning of the second verse

I ceaselessly sing praise of my mother SAradAmba Who has compassionate glance; Who bears the j~nAnamudre or the sign of knowledge in her hand; Who causes the arts to blossom/expand; Who looks splendid witha girdle/mon as he adornment; Her Who is the 3 puras(tripura) of iDA, pingaLA and suShumnA(or Her WHo awakens the 3 nADis); Her Who is ever awake; Her Who resides on the banks of the tungabhadra; That mother of mine I praise ceaselessly.

kalAbhiH vinidrAm- vindirA means expanding or blossoming. nidrA refers to a bud. So She makes the arts to blossom. The suffix bhiH used here means that she "also" causes the 64 arts to blossom, apart from knowledge etc.

purastrIm has nothing to do with her being a town woman or any such. It is essentially the same as tripurA (pura+tri). Note the name "tripurA"(626) in the sahasranAma. The 3 puras refer to the 3 nADIs(iDA, pingaLa, suShumnA); the triad of manas, buddhi and citta;

The alternate sAhitya found in some versions as posted by Sriram above is "puraSrIm" which also makes sense of "Her Who has SrIpura as her abode"

nADItrayam tripurA suShumnA pingalA iDA |
manO buddhiStathA cittam puratrayamudAhRtam ||
tatra tatra vasatyEShA tasmAt tu tripurA matA |
(tripurArNava)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I have tuned the second verse in Shahana.

http://rapidshare.de/files/31068792/SAr ... hahana.wma

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

sAradA bhujanga stOtram by Veena Sahasrabuddhe

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/4q2 ... As1NMvHdW/

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

AhA!
nice emotive rendition! you need not justify the choice of the virhArdrita raga:)
Pl post the ciTTa. I note the taaLam stays but the atItam is gone?

That is a beautiful explanation of tripura!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

:)
cmlover wrote:I note the taaLam stays but the atItam is gone?
No it still is on the atIta graha. "ka" of kaTAkShE falls before the tALa. This will indeed be the case with all verses.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara in Shahana

S || R , R , R | G , M P , | M G M R , | R , G R S |
| N# , S D# , | N# S R G M | P , M D , | D, N D P ||
|P M D ,- D N S* ,- N S* | R* ,- G* M* R* G* R* S*- N S* |
|R* N , S* D ,- N P ,- D | P M G M R G R S-

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Sriram
Thanks for the stotra from MIO. It is nice.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Aha Aha! Choice of Sahana is amazing...especially to depict compassion, the theme of the shlokham.

kalApaiH subhadrAm - Can you elucidate this by splitting? I dont quite understand it...whats a girdle? Is it worn around the waist? I like your explanation of "purastrIm vinidrAm"...insightful.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kalApa is a oDyANa/soNTada paTTi/DAbu which is a girdle. kalApaiH is kalApadinda/ kalApattinAl / with kalApa. subhadra is adorned/beautiful/ encircled/auspicious.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS

In this case the plural is used to denote the 'rashanA kalApa' or the series of strings threaded with pearls worn as a mEkhalA...

It will be nice to have an authentic shringEri shAradAmba picture posted...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover wrote:It will be nice to have an authentic shringEri shAradAmba picture posted...
I think I have posted this in my thread a while ago.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

now i understand..since i was leaning more towards "auspicious" rather than splendor, so it perhaps means both the string of pearls and/or the girdle..

CML, I have uploaded an authentic picture of SringEri sAradAmba in the front page. I have other pictures of the Gurugalu, many taken personally from my visits to my favorite divine shrine...I can upload in due time, if there is interest.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 29 Aug 2006, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

mahesh
I did notice the picture posted by you at the beginning which is what is traditionally depicted. But I believe what DRs has posted is the actual one (probally the one established by Shankara himself or the utsava mUrthi). If you have other versions do post them as we go along!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is the link for shArada bhujangam sung by Keshavananda Bharathi
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=251123

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Yes. CML. I found it too. And it is excellent.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Wonderful renedition. I am uploading a speech by Sri Bharathi Tirtha MahAswAminAh, "The Glory of Vigneshwara".

http://rapidshare.de/files/31191206/Sri ... a.mp3.html

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Verse 3

lalAmAnkaphAlAm lasadgAnalOlAm |
svabhaktaika pAlAm yaSaSrIkapOlAm |
karEtvakShamAlAm kanatpratnalOlAm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||3||

I eternally sing praise of my mother SAradAmba Whose forehead carries the mark of a tilaka; Her Who is immersed in sweet songs; Who is the only refuge/protector of Her devotees; Who has renowned, beautiful and splendid cheeks; Who carries the rosary in her hands; Who delves into/is engrossed in/enjoys the shining ancient tradition(SrIvidyA or any other ancient and hallowe tradition); Of that mother mine, I ever sing praise.

phAla- forehead; yaSas and SrI bithe have meaning of fame, beauty and radiance;
karE tu akShamAlAm- has akShamAlA also(besides other things such as the j~nAnamudre mentioned in the previous verse);
lOla- means being immersed/dallying in etc;
kan means "to delve into.be engrossed in/shine"
pratna- ancient tradition/sampradAya. [Note sampradAyESvarI (710) in the sahasranAma]

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice!
I was stumped by kanatpratnalOlAm. Thanks for the intuitive explanation.
Again the ciTTa is quite nice and may we have them!

Thanks for the AcArya's dicourse!