mELa ragas

Rāga related discussions
arunk

Post by arunk »

ok. will do so a bit later today.

Arun

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

some of us are waiting expectantly for the 'heavyweights' to make their appearance here...:)

meena

Post by meena »

deleted- u/l wrong kriti ( will u/l after i have sec. cup of chai, will sure wake me up ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

meena
Wrong song :)
Check please!

meena

Post by meena »

oops sorry!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/kfx8

Here's one manOranjani -atukArAdani -Manjunath Nagaraj
would like to hear vocal rendition

meena

Post by meena »

ok here is smt. mlv 's:
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/24xg

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arunk

Post by arunk »

pl. hold off posting links to audio on not-yet-discussed ragas until a synopsis of the raga lakshana is posted. (but apologies for causing the bottleneck on that :))

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

The 5th mELa in asampUrNa mELa is manOranjani. The muttuswAmi dIkshitar krithi in this rAga is bAlAmbikE pAhi in (catuSra) matyA tALa. The tyAgarAka krithi is atukAradAni.

The arohaNa/avarOhAna given in SSP is:

S R1 M1 P D2 N3 S
S N3 D2 P M1 M1 P M1 R1 G1 R1 S

Unlike for some of prior mELas, Subbarama Dikshitar doesnt describe much beyond the specifics of the raga structure except to say: "suitable for singing at all times".

Like all other asampUrNa mELas in the 1st cakra, the vivadi swara suddha gandhara is omitted in the ArOhaNa. But also notice the vakra nature of the avarOhaNa. Looks like M M P is a special prayOga(?) and M1 R1 G1 R1 is the vakra nature of ga in avarOhaNa.

But there is something curious with it. The "P M1 R1 G1 R1 S" seems to indicate M1 G1 would be diassallowed. Indeed both the vEnkaTamakhin's tAnam and the subbarama dIkshitar's sancari does not see to have M1 G1 and has only "M1 R1 G1" usage. The slOka from vEnkaTamakhin (from SSP) says:

manOranjani sampURNa sarvakAlikI
avarOhE ga vakrA syAt Evam gAyanti gAyakAh

It mentions the vakra nature of ga and i guess that implies M1 R1 G1 R1(?) and not a M1-G1?. However, M1 G1 is indeed present in the notations given for the muttuswAmi dIkshitar krith bAlAmbikE pAhi in the pallavi and anupallavi portion. But also, it conspicuously is not used in the ciTTaswara portion - which has only M1 R1 G1 . So either the swara notation given for M1 G1 are incorrect (or approximation? later-day corruption/evolution?), or MD has perhaps interpreted more liberally if we go by the notation for bAlAmbikE pAhi in SSP. The latter possibility seems a bit unlikely to me - i lean towards a possible later day corruption/evolution.
Last edited by arunk on 15 Nov 2006, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Arun
You have disempowered me :D ;)
arunk wrote:However, M1 G1 is indeed present in the notations given for the muttuswAmi dIkshitar krith bAlAmbikE pAhi in the pallavi and anupallavi portion. But also, it conspicuously is not used in the ciTTaswara portion - which has only M1 R1 G1 . So either the swara notation given for M1 G1 are incorrect (or approximation? later-day corruption/evolution?), or MD has perhaps interpreted more liberally if we go by the notation for bAlAmbikE pAhi in SSP. The latter possibility seems a bit unlikely to me - i lean towards a possible later day corruption/evolution.
There is no room to suspect corruption at all. Use of viSESha prayOgas is very well-known and the use of MGRS in rAgas with MRGRS in their scales or vice-versa is not uncommon either. In the case of manOranjani, "MGRS" is used although sparingly. Remember not to get too caught up with scales.

A simplified ArOhaNa and avarOhaNa for manOranjani is

SRMPDN,S* | S*NDPMRG,RS ||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mAnavati evokes karuNArasa with a hint of hAsya. This is nicely made use of in "evaritO". In manOranjani, hAsya is more prominent and the modd is brighter. M and G as also N are the jIvaswaras in manOranjani.

arunk

Post by arunk »

oops! I stand corrected!

Arun

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

For hearing more manOranjani

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/c ... ragam.382/

http://70.231.224.244:8080/musd/servlet ... rack07.rmj

Can someone post MD's "[/b]bAlAmbikE[/b]"?

To download a great rendition of evaritO by Chittibabu, click here. His pAThAntara sounds different.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Download ... babu2.html

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

DRS - Is this Nagaraj & Manjunath playing Manoranjani ?

Seems to be a different track than the one Suji Ram posted.

You may have missed some earlier posts, where Chittibabu's link was posted, and his paThAntara discussed :-) His pAThantara seems to be much more brighter than MLV's.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 15 Nov 2006, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:DRS - Is this Nagaraj & Manjunath playing Manoranjani ?
-Ramakriya
sounds more like Ganesh Kumaresh

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ramakriya wrote:DRS - Is this Nagaraj & Manjunath playing Manoranjani ?

Seems to be a different track than the one Suji Ram posted.
That is MSG. It is from the Nada Anubhooti website.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I have a text in telugu-under mAnavati manOranjani it says-
if you do graham on madhyamam you get 61 mElam kAntAmaNi.
Can someone explain what exactly it means technically?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji
that means if you do SrutibhEda in mAnavati with M1 as the new ShaDja, then kAntAmaNi, the 61st mELa will result.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks DRS
I think I got it technically.
I am imagining -a person singing a mAnavati in Sruti C and another person singing the same in Sruti F will sound like kAtAmaNi- sounds weird

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

arunk

Post by arunk »

Suji Ram wrote:Thanks DRS
I am imagining -a person singing a mAnavati in Sruti C and another person singing the same in Sruti F will sound like kAtAmaNi- sounds weird
Sujiram, that is not the way to interpret this. It is more like Imagine that person X is singing mAnavati in sruthi C. Assume that tampura is not there (if it helps to imagine this better). Now, imagine that another person Y somehow perceve what A is singing to be in sruthi F. If so, Y will perceive what X is singing to be in kAntamaNi.

In other words mAnavati in sruthi C itself comes off as kAntamaNi in F, which is not the same as " a piece in mAnavati sung in C, if replayed exactly in in F will sound like kAntamaNi".

(now of course doesnt mean any mAnavati will come off that way. It has to be delivered purposefully to help listeners perceive the sruthi-bEdham i.e. shift in sruthi/tonic from C to F)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 16 Nov 2006, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji
Here is a demo for you on shruti bhedam
http://rapidshare.com/files/3544666/Srutibhedam.wav
You will first here the aro/avaro of Manavati in shruti C
You hear S R G M P D N S' /S' N D P M G R S
Now let us do the shruti bhedam on 'M' (still on C); you will hear
M P D N S' R' G' M' /M' G' R' S' N D P M
Next you will hear the aro/avaro of kAntAmaNi but it will be in shruti M
you hear S R G M P D N S'/S' N D P M G R S (in shruti M)

you wil hear that the last two aro/avaro are identical.

Hence you are right that if a Manavati singer confines the sanchaaram (say singing at shruti C) to M to M' then he will appear tobe singing kAntAmaNi at shruti M!

But in practice there will be subtle gamakas which differ ( we are talking CM here) which will distinguish the two ragas

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Arun,
You indeed put it better in words what I was imagining.

Sometimes when I walk into a room suddenly when someone is singing (without tampura), it takes me a while to get what they are singing. At first it sounds offpitch..happens during navaratri functions :)

Thanks CML for the demo.

Also we usually know that men sing between B- C#, so a Sruti bedham can be defined easily. Same for women (F-G#)
Last edited by Suji Ram on 16 Nov 2006, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

In the lecdem of SRJ he gives the scale for manOranjani as
S R M P D, N S
S N D P D M G, R S
offcourse as janya of mAnavati
Last edited by Suji Ram on 17 Nov 2006, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

swamirams72

Post by swamirams72 »

Can anyone tell the availability of the song Madilochana by Tyagaraja in Raag KOLAAHALM in Audiocasttes,Sung by any artist?
Last edited by swamirams72 on 17 Nov 2006, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:
Suji Ram wrote:Thanks DRS
Sujiram, that is not the way to interpret this. It is more like Imagine that person X is singing mAnavati in sruthi C. Assume that tampura is not there (if it helps to imagine this better). Now, imagine that another person Y somehow perceve what A is singing to be in sruthi F. If so, Y will perceive what X is singing to be in kAntamaNi.

In other words mAnavati in sruthi C itself comes off as kAntamaNi in F, which is not the same as " a piece in mAnavati sung in C, if replayed exactly in in F will sound like kAntamaNi".
One intersting 'research paper' deriving it mathematically:
Although nothing is new, I liked the theorems, and the proofs.

http://www.pathcom.com/~ericp/Bansuri12Murchana.pdf

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

interesting but not considering ragas with asymmetric arO/avarO eliminates too many - doesnt it? Even basic ones like malahari are out.

I realize the resulting model is simpler, but it becomes much less representative.

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

As part of the Sri Guru Raghavendra Swamy Melakartha Pallavi Concert Series, we are delighted to invite you all to a Grand Vocal Concert by Sri Ragavan Manian. Please come to the concert and enjoy the event.

The concert will be held in the home of Subha and Narasimhan in Milpitas, CA.

Sri Guru Raghavendra Swamy Melakartha Pallavi Concert Series (#4) : Featuring a RTP in “Vanaspathiâ€
Last edited by ramakriya on 08 Jan 2007, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Now that this thread has resurfaced from cold-storage,

may be good idea to go on with tAnarUpi

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 09 Jan 2007, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:Now that this thread has resurfaced from cold-storage,

may be good idea to go on with tAnarUpi

-Ramakriya
Couldn't find anything to listen to in this rAga.

would you render something for us?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

One Audio example in the following page:

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/%7Enanda/ ... 01indu.htm

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

One more audio example for tAnarUpi - Nukala Chinna Satyanarayana singing an part fo dashAvatAra ashTapadi - jaya jayadEVaharE of of jayadEva

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/wUC ... As1NMvHdW/

Ashtapadi rendition is towards the end, after the introductory notes about the rAga.

-Ramakriya

kartik

Post by kartik »

Here is a masterly Taanaroopi by Acharya Rajam. I rate this as the best demonstrative alapana I have in my collection.I personally learnt a lot in the alapana.

This is a composition of the great koteeswara Iyer.Simply great-no words can describe this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/15270646/10 ... i.mp3.html

(I hope I am not posting out of turn,not jumped the queue and not in danger of having my "knuckles rapped". )

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

kartik,

Thanks for bringing the thread back to life.. Once we go past tAnarUpi, [one of the most difficult mELa (to normal people, I mean - Not counting the likes of Sri Rajam) rAgas to sing IMO] - I think life will be easier for us!

Sri Rajam really excels in vivAdi mELas - One rendition which I can not forget is dikshita's kalAvati kamalAsana yuvati hosted on guruguha.org few years ago. No audio examples there now :(

And btw, do you/ or anyone else have any demonstratable clip in tanukIrti, 6th asampUrNa mELa? Only recording I have heard is TMKrishna's, from his Kritis from SSP - audio book project.

BTW, even during Muttuswami dIkshita's time (or a generation before that) , tanukIrti was considered quite an exotic rAga. Ramaswamy dIkshita was testsed with this rAga by Muddu Venkatamakhi before giving him a manuscript of caturdanDi prakAshikA. I think this has been mentioned in SSP.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 07 Feb 2007, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

kartik

Post by kartik »

do you/ or anyone else have any demonstratable clip in tanukIrti, 6th asampUrNa mELa? Only recording I have heard is TMKrishna's, from his Kritis from SSP - audio book project.
Unfortunately have no tanukIrti clipping with me,though I would love to hear it
Last edited by kartik on 07 Feb 2007, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

ramakriya wrote:Sri Rajam really excels in vivAdi mELas - One rendition which I can not forget is dikshita's kalAvati kamalAsana yuvati hosted on guruguha.org few years ago. No audio examples there now :(
Here is Sri Rajam's Kalvathy kalamalaasanayuvathi. I downloaded it from guruguha few years ago..
http://rapidshare.com/files/15390350/Kalavathy.mp3.html

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

kiransurya,

you're so thoughful :)

Thanks,

-Ramakriya

vijay

Post by vijay »

Just realizing Ramakriya's point - the phrase stretching from Dhaivatham to Gandharam (5 swaras) in this raga spans merely the N2 S R2 phrase of Madhyamavathi - 5 consecutive tones! I guess it would take an expert to take on this one! Does anyone remember recent sketches in concerts? I can't...

I suppose the prathimadhyama equivalent Raghupriya would be just as difficult

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Another track in tAnarUpi, by who else after S Rajam?

Sri S Balachandar :

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/FUK ... As1NMvHdW/

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 13 Mar 2007, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

tAnarUpi

there is a krithi Va Velava (corrections welcome) in this clip.
after the Thani .

http://www.badongo.com/file/2460142
t viswanathan-l_shankar-t_ranganathan

meena

Post by meena »

kji

Va velava va mavalava is Kotishvara Iyer's

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

thank you.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a hindustani composition in mAnavati, by Sri S.A. Batish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgklBdph ... ed&search=
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Mar 2007, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

three note rAga: Illayaraja explains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGeHvOCxfQ

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

The 6th concert in the mELa rAga pallavi series was held at Sanatana Dharma Kendra @ Sunnyvale CA.
This was a violin concert by Sri Arun Ramamurthy, accompanied on the Mridanga by Sri Ravindrabharathi Sridharan.

Arun Ramamurthy, who is an undergrad in Music at UC Berkeley gave a very nice concert. He played navarAga mAlika varNa, mAtangi (Ramamanohari), a kriti in jyOtiswarUpiNi (which I did not recognize), niravadi sukhada (ravichandrike), and swara rAga sudhArasa (shankarAbharana) as main.

The RTP was in tAnarUpi, 6th mELakartha; pallavi was in miSra jampe, 2 kaLe. I forget the complete pallavi line, but the words 'tAna' and 'rUpi' were woven nicely into it (Pallavi line written by Sri Susheela Narasimhan). Arun did justice to this double vivAdi rAga, (which IMO, is quite difficult) and did it wonderfully well.

Sri Ravindrabharati supported the main artist excellently.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 04 Sep 2007, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Ah, damn missed it. When did this concert take place?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

This was on 1st September @4:00 pm - Blame me too 'cause I forgot to post the information here :(

-Ramakriya

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Now that the thread has been resotored from cold storage, can the discussions continue ? We have now so many performing artists as members which is a added advantage

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Just wanted to start this thread again... Could someone post details abt the next mElA, sEnAvati...?