Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
mishram

Post by mishram »

Hello everyone,

I just came across this thread. Been a member for just about 2 weeks. Vandanam to all fellow musicians and music lovers. This forum is superb and even better than the sangeetham.com BB. I missed it when it disappeared and now am excited to see this forum!!

Warm Regards
Mishram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Augustin, Ravi & Mishram - welcome.

kottavi

Post by kottavi »

Hi everybody. Dont judge me by my name. I am an ardent lover of carnatic music and would like to particpate in the discussions.
Last edited by kottavi on 26 Dec 2006, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome to the forum..we would love everyone's participation!

arasi

Post by arasi »

So long as you don't make us all yawn! Just kidding.
As you say, your name (whom so ever gave you that:)) wouldn't come in the way of what you have to say. Welcome!

ranjani

Post by ranjani »

Hello dear rasikas,
I am so glad to discover this bboard. It is interesting to read the various opinions expressed here. I Hope to contribute some time.
Thank you.

Ranjani
p.s. I have studied vocal carnatic for 5 years.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

ranjani,
welcome to the forum! teach some music to novices like me from time to time!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

delete
Last edited by mahakavi on 04 May 2007, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Welcome Sub

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

srkris,
Good Bye to Rasika Forum.
Kindly remove my profile.
May Saint Thyagaraja Bless us all
V Govindan

arunk

Post by arunk »

vgv,

your service is appreciated and still very much needed. I dont have to tell you that disagreements (sometimes violent) are part and parcel of these forums just like real life. Pl. remember what Thyagaraja went through in real life :), and i hope you will change your mind

Arun

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

vgvindan,

I guess you are joking. You are making a lot of positive contributions to this community, and I apologise for any unintended offence anyone might have caused. I am sure you are going to change your mind.

Criticism and debate is part and parcel of any discussion board. I request you to take it in the right spirit.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Btw, what's the deal with member Vocalist? He appears as 'Banned'! What's going on??

arasi

Post by arasi »

I don't think he is banned. I don't think such a thing happens here. People banish themselves sometimes--for their own reasons. It's good to have them back. Yes, where are you, vocalist?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Arasi, I'm sorry to shatter your belief. He is indeed banned, since 5th December. It was a difficult decision, but he has caused a lot of trouble here, and we have been very tolerant with him until the ban. I dont want to discuss it though. Its most likely going to be temporary.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I am afraid there is no such thing as "temporary banishment" at least from the viewpoint of the person who is banished, especially when it is an issue concerning one's dignity. It is quite unlike the "penalty box" in a hockey game or a suspension from a basketball game. If you have any doubt ask "vocalist".

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

And if he returns with another name ?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Good point. He may already be here, for all we know. And posting...
(this may turn out to be an Agatha Christie mystery! :-)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sub

Nice to see you here finally. We got lost on the train trip to Thiruvaiyaru :)
Though I got back all right; you have taken a long time. Note this is not Rome (no gladiatorial fights!). (That is not said in the vein of 'iDakkaraDakkal :) Pl share your love of Tamizh with all of us.
Again plenty of llyrics (Tamil) require translations and we are short-handed.

I have been away (got a brand new grand son!) and just got back and am down with Flu (?some virus). Will be active soon.

Happy new year to you!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover:
As I said before I am glad to be here. I won't be looking for big fights either. But what is life without a fight? --good-natured disagreements (without being disagreeable).

As for the train trip I did not want to come back because I foresaw some crooks would demolish (Thyagaraja's house) in the name of building a bigger edifice. I stayed back to enjoy the old environs as much as i could. But who can prevent the inevitable? The demolition did take place. But I have the old house imprinted in my memory (including the inside kUDam and tAvAram).

Well let us start our engines!
Last edited by mahakavi on 11 Jan 2007, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Heave ho!

renuka_bk

Post by renuka_bk »

Hello all,
I am a passionate lover of music. I am ardent listenser and would love to be a part of this group.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome Renuka, and fasten your seat belt for a journey that will take you to dizzying heights!

erode14

Post by erode14 »

Hi.... everybody....

I am happy to be part of this great forum. I just saw this topic "welcome to new members".

Lets shake hands.... though i dont do it in person!

I learnt mrudangam initially for 8 years from Vidhvan Palladam Sri V.Ramachandran sir and I have been undergoing intensive advanced training from Padmabushan Snageetha Kalanidhi Umayalpuram Shri K.Sivaraman sir, since 1990.

I am an "A" Grade artiste and work as lecturer in the Music Academy.

glad to see you all.....

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Welcome, Erode Nagaraj (?).
Hope you drank enough kAvEri water when you were growing up to give you the spirit of Thamizh culture!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Erode Nagaraj,
Welcome!
As a forum, we welcome cultured views of all varieties (and not just tamizh :P). You have already proven your erudition and ability to express yourself through your wonderful reviews! Please keep them coming. We are indeed blessed to have you here as an active member. I am aware of other performing artists who are silent members here. But artists like you, Sri Akella Saramaji and Mridhangam Balaji are truly and doubly appreciated.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

thank you....

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

welcome nagaraj! when a person interested in knowing the nuances of mruthangam comes and asks us 'eerodu evada poyee?' we have to answer 'eerodu erode nagarajan manaike poyee'!!!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A warm welcome to Dr. Lalitha and Nandini, noted violinists.

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Hello!

New registrant Rasaali saying a big HELLO to rasikas.org. Have been following the site for a few months and finally got the rid of my inertia and registered!

Cheers!!!

erode14

Post by erode14 »

chalanata.... thank you....

welcome to rasaali...

mahakavi,

Thank you for makig me remember kAvEri days! The Ramanavami concerts used to happen those days were unforgettable.

In the banks of a canal from kAvEri there was a temple of kOthandarAmA.... lot of coconut trees.... fields on one side..
concerts used to take place there.... ssi,mss,mvs(he used to say,"this place reminds me of thiruvaiyar")mbk,kvn,mlv,parveen sultana,msg,lgj,tns,dkj....

I met Sivaraman sir there only.... he played for two days and asked me to come to chennai..... then i became his disciple.....

erode14

Post by erode14 »

i said to him after palladam venkatramana rao's concert, that i wish to learn from him...

and i got my beloved guru.... in such a divine place...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Wow, nagaraj, nostalgia is priceless!

Krishnan1940

Post by Krishnan1940 »

I would like to know whether our members have attende any concerts of one Mr Kasturirangan of Chennai, If so cn I have thir views and comments. I have heard him more than once and in my opinion he is one of the upcoming vocalaist and has a bright future in the world of carnatic music.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Krishnanji, Mr. Kasturirangan is a student of Sri TNS. He is a fine singer. IIRC he is a doctor by profession (??? or maybe I'm confusing it with DR T G Badri Narayanan)I have heard him sing some time back though. I vividly remember him singing tuNai purindaruL (varamu) in a chamber concert at my uncle's place. He was CC of Sri TNS.
But I haven't heard any live concert in like 3 years now. :(. Of course, I have been holding the fort thanks to my friends here at Rasikas.
Last edited by ksrimech on 11 Feb 2007, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

hypocrite

Post by hypocrite »

Hello people, this is hypocrite.

Ok, let me put it simple. Enakku nirayaa pea sangeetham.com lendhu theriyum. Thought I will participate on this forum as well.

Oru immediate response: "indha "hypocrite", namma carnatic ulagathukku oru periya insult". I think you us have grown up from sangeetham.com days.

I am here to boh learn and participate.

By the by, greetings cmlover and mahakavi.

Regards,
H

hypocrite

Post by hypocrite »

naan ippolaam only listening to TNSesh. Genius.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I can smell a rat(?) from experience. I think "hypocrite" is the new avatar for Ravishankar Vaidyanathan (of Manchester, UK). Vishnu had only 10 major avatars but Ravishankar has many more.

If my hunch is wrong, I apologize. Anyway, welcome hypocrite!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ravi
You'll notice the difference here from sangeetham. This is serious music. I am sure you do like serious stuff and hence be serious. Don't set or fall into traps! Sub will take care of your Tamizh education as well as translations (only the printables :)

thamizhisai_paithiyam

Post by thamizhisai_paithiyam »

i am new here. just joined. i used to be a regular a long time ago on rec.music.indian.classical, a usenet newsgroup. for now, i'll keep a low profile and get acquainted with your excellent forum.

-thamizhisai_paithiyam

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi thamizhisai, welcome.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I like the paittiyam part!!
Welcome!

arasi

Post by arasi »

So long as it is all about isai :)

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Hi to all in the forum i joined some time back and wish to state that Coolkarni and friends have chilled out discussing music about 5yrs back ... oooo The good old days.... On seeing these posts i have taken a trip down the memory lane. ragjay

information

Post by information »

Hello am new here and am called ragavan at office. I work in Salem.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hello, brothers and sisters! Even though I had the fortune of joining this learned and cultured group of my brothers and sisters, today only I saw this thread and felt very happy to find how affectionately our brothers and sisters welcome our in coming brothers and sisters. Very nice indeed. With best wishes to one and all, Your affectionate brother, amsharma.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

A hearty welcome to Ragjay and information!

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

I am here with the forum for some time.
I have also made some postings here and there.
The place is serious about the discussions and I am happy about it.

In fact my pass word did not work on couple of days and I have registerd with an initial added to my name.
If possible kindly remove vijayagopalk from the list.

Thanks for everything!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A belated welcome to you, vijayagopal

kki

Post by kki »

Hi everybody! am a new member.I have been following this forum for sometime now and find it very interesting and informative.I have learnt the very basics of CM as a child.Though I haven't had opportunities to attend many live concerts of CM by famous artists,I enjoy listening to Carnatic music,bhajans, classical instrumental music, ghazals,Hindi and Tamil meaningful musical songs ,devotional songs and slokas.I am sure this forum will help transform me from a lisener to a RASIKA(or RASIKAI?) kalyani.