Meaningful Pauses - A unique monument in letters - Book on M

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Editor - Madhu vasudevan
Foreword by Amy Catlin Jairazbhoy
Publisher - DC Books and Swaralaya

Title - Meaningful Pauses - A unique monument in letters

This book is a collection of various articles written by MDR's contemporaries and others, including
- Mrs Visalakshmi Ramanathan (Smt MDR)
- T.N.krishnan
- M.S.Gopalakrishnan
- Vellore Ramabhadran
- Umayalpuram Sivaraman
- T.K.Sethuraman
- B.V.Raman and lakshmanan
- Kamalarani V Sriram
- T.R.Rajamani
- A.Ramakrishnan
- P.Ravikumar
- Aswathi Tirunaal Rama Varma

I intend to post a review as when i complete reading the book; and based on interest in this forum

Following is verbatim from advertisement circulated during december season in chennai

Though music scholars are inclined to describe as a musicians of musician, some of them have also succeeded in keeping him away from mainstream of contemporary music. This has led to a new form of musical fanaticism in the arena of Carnatic music. The indifference meted out to MDR by a powerful minority of music scholars during his lifetime need not bother us too much, if we can visulaize it as a crucification leading to a glorious resurrection. He died unsung and unwept(?). While accepting that MDR's music basically fullfills a higher emotional yearning a discerning listener cannot but notice its innate universal appeal. A profound and scholary appreciation will certainly bring out its refined ocial and cultural contents. No doubt his music represents a milestone in classical vocal performance and an artistic exploration of the same will provide a more authentic account of carnatic music.

A short review to begin with - MDR's wife writes that he died with cancer and suffered a lot during his last days. He was treated by Dr Shanta in cancer hospital, adayar, chennai, and they won't have enough money for treatment. MDR used to get dischared when there is no money, and get back after giving few concerts for further treatment. He was so frail during his last days, and MDR's family didn't inform anyone about his illness. After his death, when his wife goes to terrace to get dried cloths in evening, she used to see a outline of MDR's figure (in silver color?) and when she goes nearby after getting some courage, the figure used to disappear into drainage. For sometime, she or MDR's mother used to have this experience.

sakthi.balan

Post by sakthi.balan »

Is this book available in book stores. can I know where?
Last edited by sakthi.balan on 02 Jan 2010, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Please do review the book when you're done, pattamaa. I would like to know the purchase details too - thanks in advance.

devi

Post by devi »

sakthi.balan wrote:Is this book available in book stores. can I know where?

The book is available to be ordered online from DC Books. Here's the link

http://www.dcbookshop.net/php/bookDetails.php?bid=3188

skandyhere

Post by skandyhere »

@ Sri Pattamma - Did you also have the book shipped to you following an online purchase? How long do they take? Since it's the first time I will be ordering a book online, I have my concerns about the reliability of delivery.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The book was being sold at the Academy during the season. I purchased a copy. It is quite well-written and provides multiple perspectives on MDR. A must addition in any serious rasika's book collection.

By the way, the Acknowledgement section of the book mentions "Jayaram Ramanath of London" for editorial assistance. Is this the same jayaram who is a member of this forum?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Skandyhere, I have ordered the book from the website and will confirm once I've received it. I just got an e-mail saying it has been shipped from India, so so far so good.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I received the book - as a matter of fact, I received two copies when I had only ordered one.

skandyhere

Post by skandyhere »

Wow! :)

Bilahari, how soon can we see a review (even if partial)? Eagerly waiting...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I don't really have much time to read the book due to school, so the earliest review you could see is probably around March! Or I could review the book in parts as I read each section - whichever you think is best.

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

The advertisement mentioned,
"This has led to a new form of musical fanaticism in the arena of Carnatic music. The indifference meted out to MDR by a powerful minority of music scholars during his lifetime"

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

[quote="Shivadasan"]The advertisement mentioned,
"This has led to a new form of musical fanaticism in the arena of Carnatic music. The indifference meted out to MDR by a powerful minority of music scholars during his lifetime"
Last edited by thenpaanan on 18 Jan 2010, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I totally agree that Subbudu was "just trying to put some food on his table". He was the prime example of many of the critics who supposedly are experts as well as leaders& shapers of opinion....We should demand to know the qualifications as well as experiences of these critics. Its O.K. if they have none or very little but they should state them upfront. VKV

skandyhere

Post by skandyhere »

@bilahari : If you can give us snippets and comments periodically, as you finish reading each chapter, that should be excellent.

MDR's story sounds like the stuff of legends - legends spurned in their times, although he seemed to have his own group of hardcore fans at his concerts. Yet, perhaps the kind of recognition that would bring about an improvement in his financial condition passed him by.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I started the thread, i am also falling behind. I will try to write more on the book in next 2 weeks. I might get some time

skandyhere

Post by skandyhere »

2 weeks later ( :) )

May we hear from pattamaa? I have ordered my copy, but it hasn't arrived yet. Expecting it next week. Would be happy to read any reivews till then - say, a sneek peek preview.

jayaram

Re: Meaningful Pauses - A unique monument in letters - Book on M

Post by jayaram »

Just came across this thread...thank you for starting it.

I was privileged to be involved with this project. I helped in the editing of the book, and it was truly a labour of love. Also learned a lot about the great maestro through this exercise!

And it was such an enjoyable experience to work with Shri Madhu Vasudevan. He is such a committed and true bhakta of our music and of MDR.

I would encourage all rasikas to read the book.

arasi

Re: Meaningful Pauses - A unique monument in letters - Book on M

Post by arasi »

Jayaram,
Good to hear about your part in it. Would like to get the book sometime.