Soja rajakumari

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Can any body post the above song by Lata Mangeshkar, even though it pales into insignificance when compared to KLSaigal's rendition . gobilalitha

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

arasi

Post by arasi »

r_t,
Thanks for both versions. One was my favorite at bed time (you can guess which one)!

GBL,
Thanks to you too. You initiate some very nice threads. We are too old for lullabies now but don't you think this would make a nice farewell song too in my case? :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - this one is one of my all time favorites mein gAUn tum sO jAO

While not a classic lullaby, I think this can serve as one, and for obvious reasons, I LOVE this: mere ghar Ayi Ek nanhi pari

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

WOW!
What a pathos!
Thanks GBL and R-T!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks R-T for the links. GBL is spot on. Lata version sounds lame when stood up next to Saigal's.

arasi

Post by arasi »

No doubt about that. I felt the same way when she sang vakt nE kiyA kyA hansI sitam in her shraddAnjali to Geetha Dutt. Lata is in her own league but when we hear some of the originals, we realize how in those days lyricist, the music director and the singer cast magic of a kind which could not be duplicated--it was almost as if the song was meant only for that particular singer.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

THANKS ,fellow forumtes. In the early ninties DD1and DD2 were the only channels available DD2 used to have special programmes on new year eve extending upto midnight. Ashok KUMAR'S rail gadi song invariably found a place in the programme The last song used to be 'soja rajkumari' by K L Saigal ,ourselves rushing to bed with a pleasant feeling. NOW THE SCENE HAS CHANGED.We get only obscene film somgs with more obscene dances
Let me narrate yet another new yeareve incident RaviShankar used to give a programme at Music Academy on the new year eve extending beyond midnight. Exactly at the stroke of twelve he would greet us with the new year greeting . we used to wait for the magic moment.
once during the programme, a snake entered theposh MA hall. There was utter panicin the hall.M any began to rush out. Ravishankarji said 'it is harmless, don't frighten it or kill it. It has also got a right to live in this world' gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 03 Feb 2010, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Arasi is right. Geetha Dutt's original song and Saigal's Soja Rajakumari have something in them which is not there in this Shraddhanjali.
Whenever I see a movie after reading the book, I feel, there is something missing. It seems to lack something that was there when I read the book. I love Latha's songs and she is one of the Best. But the original seems better than the duplicate!
She is also right about GBL. He always brings out some interesting songs.
There were wonderful songs in the 50s and 60s sung by Latha, Geetha, Mukesh and Rafi.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

rail gadi song by ASHOK KUMAR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgf8r_AxHK8 GOBILALITHA
Last edited by gobilalitha on 03 Feb 2010, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HRmCAjig0 my alltime favoeite song inducing sleep melody of the highest calibre from Phagun, by OPNayyar gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
mErE ghar AyI is lovely. Haven't heard that one before.
How many will know mEri lADli, I wonder.

ragam-talam

Re: Soja rajakumari

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8EbCHccPc
Lovley tribute to Saigal-ji from this wonderful gentleman...it's beautiful
(the description says: My beloved father, Krishan Dev Bhatia who passed away on the 8th January 2007, singing a song by KL Saigal)

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Yet another beautiful song from the film 'balika badhu'about a newly married couple from a village. The young husband takes leave of his innocent beautiful wife . I t touches your heart just like 'soja rajakumari'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Z93OFAJyM gobilalitha

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi wrote: how many will know mEri lADli, i wonder ..

Are you refering to this song from Andaz?

http://www.lyricsmasti.com/song/1817/ge ... i-Hai.html

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

further to post no14 here are the lyrics for the song by Amit kumar
bade achchhe lagate hai
ye dharatee, ye nadiyaan, ye rainaa aaur tum

hum tum kitane paas hai, kitane door hain chaand sitaare
sach poochho to man ko zoothhe lagate hain ye saare
magar sachche lagate hai, ye dharatee...

tum in sab ko chhod ke kaise kal subah jaaogee
mere saath inhe bhee to tum yaad bahot aaogee
bade achchhe lagate hain ...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

GBL - It seems the lyrics are etched in your heart. Good memory and good job.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I request Ravi to translate the song Bade acha lagte hain posted by me earlier(film balikabadhu music R D Burman sung by AMIT KUMAR . MY knowledge of HINDI is just so so.. gobilalitha

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mama - here you go....

This is the lament of a lovelorn young man whose lady love is leaving him the following morning - he says:

baDE acchE lagtE hai
yE dhartI, yE nadiyAn, yE rainA aur tum

This (yE) land (dhartI), this (yE) river, this evening/night (raina) and (aur) of course, you (tum), make me feel (lagtE hai) so good (acchE).

hum tum kitnE pAs hai, kitnE dUr hain cAnd sitArE
sac pUchO tO man ko jhUThE lagtE hain yE sArE
magar saccE lagtE hai, ye dhartI...

See how (kitnE) close (pAs) you (tum) and I (hum) are (hai), and how (kitnE) far (dUr) the moon (cAnd) and stars (sitArE) are (hain). If you ask (pUchO tO) for the truth (sac), then I have to confess that all (sArE) those (yE) feel (lagtE) unreal/untrue (jhUThE) to (kO) my way of thinking (man). BUT (magar), (this land, this river, this night, and you) feel very real/true (saccE) to me.

tum in sab ko chOD ke kaisE kal subah jAOgI
mErE sAth inhE bhI tO tum yAd bahut AOgI
baDE acchE lagtE hain, ye dhartI

How (kaisE) will you (tum) be able to leave (chOD) all (sab) this (in) behind, and leave (jAOgI) tomorrow (kal) morning (subah)? I am sure that memories (yAd) of you (tum) will torture (bahut AOgI) these (inhE) things along with (sAth) me (mErE). This land, this river, this evening, and you feel so good!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Thank you Ravi..when I saw the film 35 years back, tears welled up in my eyes in that paricular scene . Thoughts of compulsory balya vivah of innocent , playful girls with old men scorched my heart gobilalitha