Hamsanandi

Rāga related discussions
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

i have not seen a thread on this ragam.

i have heard it elaborated once for the main and once for submain by Sanjay. The first time it was at a hall in mandaveli, 4th floor of a building, he sang pAhi jagajjanani for main. the second it was at sringeri sarada peetam.

would like to know reflections of others about this ragam.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rbharath wrote:i have not seen a thread on this ragam.

would like to know reflections of others about this ragam.
A very beautifu rAga, however gets overshadowed I think by other pratimadhyama rAgas like pUrvakalyANi and kAmavardhini.

Listen to a short, sweet hamsAnandi from the Kannada movie sandhyA rAga (1962?) - Pandit Bheemsen Joshi and Dr Balamuralikrishna singing Purandara dAsa's dEvarnAma "I pariya sobagu"

http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=232

It is the second song in the list.

-Ramakriya

Bonus: All the other songs from this movie are also excellent! (Music directed by G K Venkatesh and BMK):)
Last edited by ramakriya on 17 Oct 2006, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

PAvana guru pavanapurAdhEshamAshraye- Lalitha Dasar

Needu Mahima Pogadanu Tharama-Dr.Muthiah Bhagavathar( ?)

Srinivasa Thiru Venkata - Papanasam Shivan

These songs are quite popular.
Hamsanandi is a lovely pleasing raga, which can be elaborated but somehow, customarily this is taken as an item at the end of the concert.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 18 Oct 2006, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

I am a new member in this group and I am happy to be associated wth. Having enjoyed CM/HM about 35 years or so, I am entering here.

3/4 years back, under NadOpAsanA Trust one new singer (I am sorry I have forgotton his name), took up Begada as sub-main (NadOpAsanA) and the HamsAnandi as the main - of course Srinivasa Thiru Venkata. He presented very well . If I remember correctly he sang for about 25 minutes HamsAnandi raag alone, with some HM touch too. It still rings in my ears sometime. Also these raags comibation(begada, HamsAnandi) were very good. That artist, I rarely see him in stages now. I have no recording too.

Scintillating time was when usage of ga ri sa ni ri gaa.. stressing and dwelling on Ghandaram(madya stayi to lower one) and he nicely executed many varieties during HamsAnandi elaboration. Prati Ma and Dha were used .. just sometimes. Hence, I am able to recollect.

Hats off to this rasikas.org and best wishes for a Very Happy Deepawali ahead.

Jyothsna_music

Post by Jyothsna_music »

In Musicindiaonline you can listen to Smt Sowmya a brief alapana by her for the song srinivasa tiru venkata mudaya. Also one of the members uploaded seshugopalans video in which you can hear him singing hamsanandi.

Regards
Jyothsna

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

hamsanandhi is not suitable for hot afternoons. i happened to listen to a RTP by an upcoming artist one afternoon and this caused a severe headache.

kssuresh

Post by kssuresh »

Tamil movie fans may recall "kaalaiyum Neeyae Mallaiyum Neeyae" from the movie "Thaen Nilavu". That I think was in Hamsanandi.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Coolkarni had posted a recording of S Kalyanaraman singing an RTP in shanmukapriya - in the swarams section he sings an excellent hamsanandi including grahabedam around 'ni' - it is a must-hear piece

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hi everyone'
My composition in hamsaanandhi may please be viewed and listened (www.karnatik.com)to have an idea as to how the kriti "ThiruvuLLam irangaadaa sree shabhari
Girisaa gurunathaa undan (thiruvullam)"
is woven all the ingredients of CM and most of all it seeks the solace of lord Ayyappa. This is a favourite song Sow,Rajee(whose recording is also available at the website.
Ramaraj.