Conversion To Mp3 Question

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

it's on tape. I'll u/l later this weekend for sure :-)
Can some kind soul here provide instructions (including freely available software info) on how to convert tapes into digital format. I have a fairly large collection of tapes (and some spools) and want to embark on a project to digitize them.

Many thanks. In return, I can share some of them with rasikas here. :)

(Admins - I know this request belongs elsewhere, but...!)

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I have MP3 converter in a CD form. How to send it?

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

vgvindan wrote:I have MP3 converter in a CD form. How to send it?
Shri Govindan - just read your posting!

perhaps you can upload it somewhere? e.g. rogepost
Or you can use YouSendIt and send me the link.

Is this software available out there?

arunk

Post by arunk »

Pl. check out TotalRecorder from High Criteria. It is quite inexpensive. Atleast it was only $11 wa...y back. But I am also sure there are freeware programs now, which will do the same. Should not be hard to find via google.

Arun

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

jayaram,
I purchased thru on-line shopping three years back.
I can send a copy in CD format.

gnanasunyam

Post by gnanasunyam »

Not sure if you are looking for some special process to retain higher quality.

But in general, if you have a tape player with (preferably) AUX Output or (not so preferable) Headphonme jack, you can connect the tape player to your computer's LINE IN. You may need to buy a suitable stereo audio connector.

You can convert to to MP3 or CD format using several freeware programs. MusicMatch Jukebox has some good features. You can set a slinece interval at which point it can start a new MP3 file thereby helping you to split the tracks automatically. You can set the recording bit rate etc. If you want extra features, you pay $20 extra for getting the PLUS version.

Also you can use audio-grabber software (google for it).

With all this, it will still be a lot of manual work in naming the tracks, creating proper indexing and library and keying in the song info. I have tried this for a limited number of tapes and it works, but the time required to do this too much. If tape quality is bad, that will add to your problems.