mambalam sisters

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

mambalam sisters

Post by rajeshnat »

mambalam sisters (vijayalakshmi and chitra)have usually a good repertoire . Usually these sisters are accompanied by their younger sister Dr hemalatha in the violin and their dad KS rangAchari.
Their recent review of a concert in coimbatore.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/08/20/stor ... 660300.htm

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: mambalam sisters

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I have listened to a CD of them rendering Veene Sheshanna's compositions.
They are good!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hemalatha is a genius. Well, according to me, at least! The sensitivity and adaptability of her accompaniment is just amazing.

I first met her some time back, before even knowing about her sisters, and saw all three together quite by chance. Afterwards I asked if there was a mridangist in the family as well, and she pointed out that it was her father who had been playing kanjira.

What a family!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

They also have a mridangam player in their family. Their brother who has learnt from Palakkad Kunjumani Iyer (a very early disciple of Palghat Mani Iyer). He is an IT professional now.

Shri KSR has been playing kanjira for more than 40 years, accompanied almost all the great maestroes of 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. A great family indeed!

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Listening to a AIR prog of Dr Hemalatha.She is at her best in Parimala Ranganatham -Amir Kalyani and Kamboji Raga preceding "Evari Mata".

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Mambalam sisters performed at my cousin's wedding reception many years back. They are related to my cousin. I clearly remember The vocal sisters accompanied by third sister Hemalatha mesmerised the crowd. All enjoyed the concert. Today they perform in the prominent sabhas and venues. Best wishes to the sisters !