Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma,Gokhale Sastry Hall, Jan 23 - 2011

Concerts and other events related to CM.
mankuthimma

Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma,Gokhale Sastry Hall, Jan 23 - 2011

Post by mankuthimma »

RASAYANA IS pleased to invite you all for a concert in Collaboration with Brhaddhvani and Sureshvv

Vocal Concert by Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma
Violin Smt Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
Mridangam R Ramkumar ( Disciple of Umayalpuram K Sivaraman )

Venue Sastri Hall .
Date 23rd Jan 2011 ( Sunday )
Time 5.30 pm

I am hoping to pay a small tribute to our V Govindan , before the concert . Interested members - including those who are willing to speak a few words - may chip in with their ideas here . We have lots of time .

The Co Sponsor - SureshVV will treat this occasion as a tribute to his Father

sureshvv

Re: Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma at Sastri Hall - Jan 23 - 201

Post by sureshvv »

Please note that the venue is Gokhale Sastry Hall, very close to the original location stated in this thread.

rajeshnat

Re: Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma at Gokhale Hall - Jan 23 - 20

Post by rajeshnat »

For all those who donot know Gokhale hall,when you come from alwarpet
As you take musiri road after MFAC, you will be taking a right towards luz , dont go too far till nageshwara rao park , take the second right,you will find the gokhale hall.

If you are coming from Luz Junction, as soon as you turn right (opp to nAgeshwara rao park)you can take the first left.The road ends in a deadend and when you take left it ends with gokhale hall.

For all those who donot know TLS, he is a purely original musician representing the chitoor subramania pillai's chitoor school , (peer of madurai somu though much Junior).

Suresh
If edit is working change the title to Gokhale hall instead of sastri hall. Will try my best, kind of not 100% sure at this stage.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a link to Google Maps can be worth at least seven and a half pictures!

http://tinyurl.com/4hxomp4

(With thanks to Bharath for this wonderfully useful map of Sabha Locations).

If approaching from Musiri S. Rd, remember that one cannnot turn right at the end. One must take the small lane, turn left at the bottom (when the church is on your right) and then left into Karpagambal Nagar Road

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Nick
There seems to be a mistake in the marking on the map. Sastri hall is marked as Gokhale Sastry hall. But I usually get confused between these two places. So please check again and confirm.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think it is intrinsically confusing! Can a Luz/Mylapore resident please check the correct combinations of Gokhale, Sastri, Hall and Institute? I am not likely to pass either hall in the next few days.

My understanding, especially from post #3 is that this is the hall situated on a quiet lane in Karpagambal Nagar --- not the much better known, upstairs hall on Luz Church Road itself.

ram

Post by ram »

Gokhale Sastri Hall (which is the same as Gokhale Institute) is different from the more famous Sastri Hall.

Gokhale Sastri Hall, as Nick and rajeshnat have correctly said, is located in Karpagambal Nagar. Directions given by rajeshnat are good enough: "If you are coming from Luz Junction, as soon as you turn right (opp to nAgeshwara rao park)you can take the first left.The road ends in a dead end and when you take left it ends with gokhale hall".

ram

Re: Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma at Gokhale Hall - Jan 23 - 20

Post by ram »

rajeshnat wrote:For all those who donot know Gokhale hall,when you come from alwarpet
As you take musiri road after MFAC, you will be taking a right towards luz , dont go too far till nageshwara rao park , take the second right,you will find the gokhale hall.
This route is now a one way. So don't try approaching it from Musiri Subramaniam Road/ Oliver Road.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It's been one-way for quite a few years --- just, it used to be the other way! :lol:

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

mankuthimma wrote: Vocal Concert by Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma
Violin Smt Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
Mridangam R Ramkumar ( Disciple of Umayalpuram K Sivaraman )

I am hoping to pay a small tribute to our V Govindan , before the concert . Interested members - including those who are willing to speak a few words - may chip in with their ideas here . We have lots of time .
Two of my heroes honored at one time. What else could I ask for except that I could be there, which, unfortunately is not so.

There may be others who have been more inspired than I have been by these two particular gentlemen but there cannot be very many.

Shri Govindan took the great effort to explain Tyagaraja word by word, nay syllable by syllable, so I could actually not just understand and remember but also _use_ the words in the singing. I have, many a time, taken his translations and used them to rework my rendering of many a kriti. It has added a dimension to my enjoyment of singing these kritis. Because of Shri Govindan's efforts I can actually feel the words when I sing them and get a glimpse of the bliss that Tyagaraja must have felt when he composed.

And Shri Tadepalli who took these words for their meaning rather than just their sound and wove them into the music in such a magical fashion that I can now actually imagine how Tyagaraja might have sung them. My family members now get amused when I belt out Tyagaraja numbers while putting the baby to sleep as I repeat the lines infinitely many times over and over again enjoying the rich melody with the lyrics in the manner that I have learned by listening to Shri Tadepalli. (No idea yet of how the baby feels, she has no choice at the moment).

At the very least I can say that these two have rekindled my flagging interest in CM but in fact they have not only revived it but amplified it a thousand times. I am indebted to both for such an incredible favor that my words cannot express my gratitude. May their tribes increase.

-Then Paanan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Then Paanan
That is a lovely writeup . Exactly on very similiar grounds I went to hear sri tadepalli after a brief one liner that was given by vgv sir.I wrote the review of that concer. That day's subhapantuvarAli was just so moving and filled with bhAvam.That review is here.

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =tadepalli

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Govindan Sir
I hope you are coming to the concert . Just confirm please.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

rajesh,
I am eager to attend the vidwan's concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

All in chennai , Tadepalli Lokanatha Sharma@Gokhale hall is at 05:30 pm,Sunday,Jan 23 .This is a gentle remainder

Enna_Solven

Re: Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma,Gokhale Sastry Hall, Jan 23 -

Post by Enna_Solven »

rajeshnat,

Any chance of the concert being recorded and shared with us (folks not in Chennai)?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

I am sitting here. Been a while since i sat through a concert from the beginning.

After a quick own comp and nadaloludai, Tanjore quartet's mAyAtItasvarUpiNi had been wonderful. A very enjoyable and elaborate mAyAmALavagauLa.

And then a rather slow sarasa sAma dhAna.

Alapanai of tODi now.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Some pics of the event:

cienu

Post by cienu »

Glad to know that this thrice postponed concert went off very well. :) (Read Rajesh's review in the Kutcheri section.)
Congratulations to Sri Tadepalli Lokanatha Sharma, Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi, Ram & ofcourse to the organisers Suresh, Coolji and Divyanand.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thank you for the nice photos, Suresh.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Congratulations on succesfully organizing this event! Very nice pictures, suresh.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

bilahari wrote:Thank you for the nice photos, Suresh.
Gorgeous pictures, indeed. If you don't mind my asking, Shri Tadepalli is wearing a pendant with a picture on it. I cannot tell whose picture is on it. Can anyone who was close by tell us? Just curious.

-Then Paanan

ram

Post by ram »

thenpaanan wrote:If you don't mind my asking, Shri Tadepalli is wearing a pendant with a picture on it. I cannot tell whose picture is on it. Can anyone who was close by tell us? Just curious.

-Then Paanan
His guru Chittoor Shri Subramania Pillai

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

mankuthimma wrote:RASAYANA IS pleased to invite you all for a concert in Collaboration with Brhaddhvani and Sureshvv

Vocal Concert by Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma
Coolji deserves a special commendation for his dogged determination and perseverance in making Shri Tadepalli's concert happen. In spite of the numerous delays and postponements he stuck with it and the end result is this beautiful concert that not only brought us this great artist whom we were not fortunate enough to listen to earlier but also brought together (a subset of) this community of rasikas together.

Bravo!

-thenpaanan

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Absolutely, Then Paanan. Thanks very much Cool!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Absolutely , cool was delighted as much as each of us ,we all did not speak much after the concert till we dropped the musicians in two cars , I guess silence is the effect of that poignant mAyAmAlavagowlai. Cool's perseverance to bring in gems is always there , unfortunately none of us are able to match cool's love in presenting artists . Many of us think we should do , but only cool does . Thinking vs Doing what a huge gap there is!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>Thinking vs Doing what a huge gap there is!!!

Right on, Rajesh! Execution is what counts!

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

in Shakespeare words

If to do were as easy as to know what were good to do, then chapels had been churches, poor man's cottages, prince's palaces.