Guruvayoor Ekadasi

Concerts and other events related to CM.
mohan

Post by mohan »

I received this information from another group.
T. V. Neelakantan, Kochi:
This year's auspicious occasion of Guruvayoor Ekadasi falls on the 1st of December. Many devotees observe this day with complete fasting and a visit to the Lord. It is believed that Lord Krishna instructed his great teaching the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna on this day. Many devotees of the Lord come to Guruvayoor on the day from far of places. Being the season of the Sabarimala pilgrimage the temple will see vast number of devotees on this day.

There are a number of incidences connected with Guruvayoor Ekadasi and the one happened a few years ago is an indication of how the Lord plays his Leela on the devotees.

The great Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bhavathar was an ardent devotee of Guruvayoor appan and he never missed an ekadasi without visiting Guruvayoor and singing before the Lord. It so happened on one occasion that he was engaged for a concert and he had already received the consideration for the same. It dawned on him later that the particular day happened to be Guruvayoor Ekadasi. Having received the money for the concert he was obliged to perform the concert and dutyfully went to perform.

Having sung one kirthanam, he could not proceed further and completely lost his voice. He rushed back to Guruvayoor and was in front of the Lord in tears. He was there for a few days praying. There is a famous family of Ayurvedic Vaidyans called "Vaidyamadom" near Guruvayoor at a place Trithala. The vaidyan of this institution happened to see the Bhagavathar standing befor the Lord in tears one day and he immediately recognized him. He came to know of the problem faced by Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar and took him to his house and treated him.

In a few weeks time Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar started his concerts again and it is said that he never missed another Guruvayoor Ekadasi. In honour of the Bhagavathar the Chembai Sangeethaolsavam is going on still in Guruvayoor and almost all great singers come to perform there.

Thee is another small reason for narrating this. I lost my speaking power about 10 years back. It was a gradual process and I consulted many leading E. N. T doctors. Some of them suggested operation of the vocal cord. Luckily I did not go for that. When I consulted a Chinese doctor he said that my vocal cord is perfectly o. k. and my problem is with the muscles at the back of my neck and that there is no treatment for this. I started getting frustrated and started avoiding seeing people.

A few years afterwards I happened to hear "Narayaneeyam" prabashanam by Brahmasree Sundarakumar and thought that I can start reading "Narayaneyam" Within a few days I happened to hear about the "Vaidyamadom" and wrote a letter to them though I was not sure of their address. The letter was,by God's grasce, received by them.

My treatment was started by their chief physician Ashatavaidyan Cheriya Narayanan Nambootiri. Since by that time the problem had become acute, he said 100% cure may not be possible. The treatment went on for 4 years with "sirovasti" for a week every year. There is considerable improvement and now I do not shun seeing
people.

There is a nursing home run by this family called. Vaidyamadon Vaidyasala and Nursing Home., Mezhatoor. P. O. Vis Trithala, Palghat District. The telephone number is 0492 6272044.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Interesting. Nambudiris in general are recognized for their authority in Ayurveda, Purva Mimamsa, Jyotisha, Ganita and Vastu Shastra!