Rupa's concert at NGS on 28th Feb

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sulochana

Post by sulochana »

Rupa from the US gave an excellent concert at the NGS on 28th for the Gnanaskandan trust.

Here is the song list

I missed the beginning.

Shiva loka nadhanai kanndu- Mayamalavagowlai- Gopalakrishna Bharati ?

Bhuvini - Sriranjani - Tyagaraja

Kamalambha navavarnam in Anandhabhairavi - Muthuswamy Dikshithar

Venkata ramana in Lathangi - Shivan

??? Dasar padam in Subhapantuvarali

Mangalam - A virutham in Madhyamavati

Rupa's presentation of the raga Sriranjani and Lathangi were very good. Her presentation was very neat. She is a student from the US undergoing training from the veteran Suguna Varadhachari mami.

One couldn't tolerate the speech of Gnanaskandan interrupting the artiste (and also the pace of the concert) inbetween the Lathangi raga alapanai and after the Navavarna song. He also gave a long speech in the beginning i heard.

Violinist Srilakshmi provided a good accompaniment

Mridangist was also good, sorry i forget his name.

At the end of the concert I heard a mama commenting that though Rupa was from the US she sang like an artiste from Thanjavur.

Altogether a very good concert and a promising artiste.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Just a correction...

The name of the artist is "Roopa Mahadevan". She recently completed her bachelors and masters from Stanford University. She is on Fullbright Fellowship undergoing advanced training in vocal music under Smt. Suguna Varadhachari. Some of is in Bay Area are really proud of her accomplishments in music and dance. I am sure she will shine in whatever career path she chooses to pursue.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

The mrudangam artiste is Calutta Karthik, initially a disciple of Calcutta Sekar and he has been learning from UKS sir for the past 6 years.

I know him personnally and anice guy to move with. He is accompanying artistes like Sikkil Gurucharan, Shreyas Narayan,Charulatha Mani, Vasudha Ravi...

I heard that shri gnanaskandan and audience appreciated his gumkis with sowkhya bhavam.

I also received sms from Roopa regarding her concert. But, couldn't make it for, I played a wedding concert for Bhavadharini in anna nagar.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Did any one attend Roopa's concert in San Jose, CA yesterday as part of Ganesha Chaturthi Celebrations? Please provide details.

appu

Post by appu »

Roopa mahadevan is scheduled to perform in LA as part of the National Endowment for the Arts grant for 2008. Los Angeles rasikas if you have not heard her here is an opportunity to listen to her. She is grooming into a wonderful artist. Please visit www.musiccircle.org for more details. i enjoyed her concert in the Bay area.