Mp3 examples for stickied threads

Tālam & Layam related topics
nobodypolishesthesun

Mp3 examples for stickied threads

Post by nobodypolishesthesun »

Hello Rasikas,

This is my first post, so foremost I would like to say 'Thank you!' for having a hub on the internet for the discussion of carnatic music. As a percussionist, I was very happy to find this forum - a centralized location of study and dialogue. As my teacher often says 'True musician is maha-nerd' and so I am very happy to find a place where I can really nerd out.

As an American drummer (primarily jazz, afro-cuban and bossa nova), my introduction to Indian Music was North Indian primarily, via Ravi Shankar, Zakir Hussain, Mallikarjun Mansur, etc. and since I began studying tabla several years ago I immersed myself in the study of that tradition as much as possible.

Only very recently have I stepped foot into the waters of Carnatic music, and I find that - especially rhythmically - there is something WAY different going on here. I want to explore. Finding the stickied thread 'structuring a korvai in the thani' was a great joy, but I am a bit frustrated to find that there are no working links for the mp3s that were originally included along with the text demonstrations.

As fellow rasikas, I'm sure you understand how much more readily learnable ANY music is when you have audio to study as well as text, especially considering the complications caused by various systems and standards of notation.

So I implore you, is there anyone here who has these mp3s and would be willing to pass them along to me? It would do me a world of good, and I would be most grateful.

From one music lover to you all,
Warmest regards,
Eric

vasanthakokilam

Re: Mp3 examples for stickied threads

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Eric: Welcome to the forum. Let me look for those audio files and re-upload them. Yes, that thread was quite informative.

nobodypolishesthesun

Re: Mp3 examples for stickied threads

Post by nobodypolishesthesun »

Thank you so much!