Chordifying Carnatic Music

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

Chordifying Carnatic Music

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Just as an experiment, can someone who knows about chords try this for a CM song and see the overall effect when the chords are played along with the song? This software is supposed to identify the chords in some piece of music, but I am wondering what it finds for a non-harmonic music and whether its output can be used to chordify such a music, so to say. I tried it on a few songs, it gave back some chords but they did not mean much to me. Hence the appeal to the experts.

http://chordify.net/

The user interface to try this quickly is very straightforward. Feed it an mp3 file or a soundcloud url. It gives you the chords for a few seconds of the music.

I think a simpler song in Shankarabharanam or its janyas, or a song like raghuvamsa sudha can be a good starting point.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Chordifying Carnatic Music

it is actually more fun than I thought. In addition to its attempt to notate the chords ( the request above still stands ), it also moves a cursor according to the beat. It also accepts youtube urls and so we have quite a few samples to play with.

It is pretty good at picking up the eduppu etc. At least in the couple of cases I tried:

http://chordify.net/chords/raghuvamsa-s ... as-ukpnair

Press play, sit back and watch. It picks up the 1.5 eduppu perfectly.

http://chordify.net/chords/veena-raghuv ... try-s-king

In this case it treats it as atheetha eduppu which is also structurally correct. In both cases it found the correct odd numbered beat before the song starts. Quite interesting.

Sometimes this also exposes what we call as Ottam ( quickening the tempo ). In many cases it seems to happen when the mridangamist executes the theermanam at double or triple the speed.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks VK for sharing this new device. We have to experiment to see how it will fit in with conventional CM.
The results sound good, but for comparison would you post the original so we can evaluate any enhancement...

vasanthakokilam

CML, what plays at the top window is the original youtube version. I did not add any chords, I am waiting for someone else to do that. I posted the above link for its automatic beat detection and hence eduppu determination!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Beyond the chord display, the service is not free. A MIDI file of the chords can be downloaded at half a Euro. I wonder about playing the midi file and combining it with the original....

musicmantra

Post by musicmantra »

Very interesting.

puru00047

Post by puru00047 »

Raghuvamsa sudha can be chordified for a simple reason - the scale S R M D N G P S is two chords. RMD - being Dminor(assuming Sa to be C) and GPS is of course CMajor