D Pasupathi

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here is a nice opening track of D Pasupathi , disciple of Mysore Vasudevacharya.

: http://rapidshare.de/files/11348107/03- ... _.mp3.html

Some of my most memorable concerts in chennai and the period I lived in Kancheepuram were pasupathi's.
I wish we can discuss this artist more here .I know very little ,except that he has been involved with kalakshetra

I will try and put a couple of tracks from AIR ,here.

mantra

Post by mantra »

Coolkarni Sir,
I am listening to a beautiful Lathangi followed by Aparathamulu (By D. Pasupathi)posted in the Lathangi discussion by you. I am very much interested in knowing about Sri D. Pasupathy and am looking forward to some of his renditions
Regards
Shyam

meena

Post by meena »

Kji

i remember reading one of kalakshetra dance reviews, quoted something like D.Pasupati singing/having - temple bell like voice.

shankar
do u have any info abt DP?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
Not much. All I know that he was the VP of Kalakshetra.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni!
You have started the batting with a sixer. I trust you will continue the batting. The man is intoxicating. We are ready...

meena
Any chance of finding a picture...

meena

Post by meena »

cml

when the first clip of DP was shared with us on bboard, i did look up kalakshetra site then, to find any info/pic, no luck. sorry

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Hi,
I am new member,Radhakrishnan,Thrissur.
Happened to visit this site only recently,it is indeed useful to music lovers.
With so many forums,I am confused where to post a reply or to start a new one;but this particular one that of Pasupathy sir:
He was a student of Kalakshetra,when Tiger,Vasudevacharya were all there.He was the professor at Thirupathi college and later joined Kalakshetra in the 80s.He has composed music for Kalakshetra dance dramas like Panchali sapatham.He left Kalakshetra in early 90s.
Whole mark of his music is the timber voice,perfectly aligned to sruthi,well modulated.
He was away from Chennai for very long,which could be the reason he wasn?t an active concert singer.He popularized Annamacharya compositions
I was somebody who is fortunate enough to hear some of his live concerts in late 80s,when his voice was still metallic.I recall a concert at a temple around Mandalveli area,in connection with Kumbhabhishekam and he sang bhairavi swara jathi! And the all those mantra sthayi notes were crystal clear.
As a person,he is fair and handsome and softspoken.
As far as I know,he resides somewhere around Adyar.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

one of my memorable concerts was at Kancheepuram.
visitors to kancheepuram will not miss ramas cafe ,which is a very old Hotel (though it looks a poor cousin to the Saravana bhavan and Ananada Bhavan , on the opposite side of the road).Near the bus stand.
right on top _terrace_ there is a small hall where monthly concerts are held.since the chimnney is situated fairly close, One gets to enjoy the music as the smell of dosas wafts through the Hall.
The sabha here has a very unique ,but useful practice.right behind the artist, at some height, there is a huge blackboard.As the artist starts a krithi or alapana, any one in audience can walk up to the board and write down the name of the raga ,if he is sure of that,.If no one writes it down after say a few minutes from the start, the artist himself introduces the raga.
A very sensible system
Pasupathis concert - i remember very clearly that he introduced a lot of ragas that day.
His method of singing is so inviting -especially with a krithi like Endaro-he will make eye contact with almost everyone trying to pull us into the mood in totality.

nice to learn that you liked the tracks.will definitely put more tracks up.
as a matter of fact i am typing this from Kancheepuram itself, where I have come on business.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Just now I listened to this recording. Fantastic stuff. He seems a direct opposite to TNS (not in erudition, but in style).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Great artist: thanks Kulkarni sa'ab!
Would love to hear his compositions for Kalkshetra!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Radhakrishnan/Coolkarni
for those personal reflections. Smell of Dosai is in the air.. Sounds of Pashupathy will come wafting through the woods soon.. (I am sitting in front of the computer shivering on a lively cold morning!) Lovely..

Chembai/Coolkarni

If he is in Adyar, is it possible to persuade him to share recollections of Kalakshetra especially Tiger/MDR with us.. Of course his concerts. (no problem paying for them if any are commercial!)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

cml
I have been on the job of tracking down renderings of artists like pasupathi , Tadepalii loknatha sharma and others for a long time now.
A promise of two concerts of pasupathi-by a friend in Adyar- is the closest I have got.That should happen anytime now.
Even these tracks are with me only thanks to AIR.
I distinctly remember my first few years ,when I moved to Chennai.As I walked out of my flat and past the others in my Housing complex, on my way to office daily, My ears would catch the 8.30 music progressively from different flats.And i would moan : The whole of Chennai is treated to Heavenly music and i have to go to Office !! .I would envy all those thathas patis, mamis at Home...
Occasionally I would walk back and record some of them , Like the ones I am posting now.
Here is a delightful Kalyani .
Srkris ..you are so right.Nothing to beat artists like these who take so much care with their sruthi.Takes the music to a different plane.

http://rapidshare.de/files/11474724/01a ... _.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11475161/01b ... _.mp3.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

You are like Sabari.
(I trust folks you all know the story. Sabari picked fruits over the years tasted them and stored the sweetest for Rama knowing that he would come one day. In fact she fed Rama her ucchiShTaM).
In the same vein you have collected over the years CM listened and enjoyed them and are picking the finest to feed us, the lucky ones the very best through this forum. Add to that your personal ingenuous recollection of the context of those pieces!

How can we ever thank you!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Very true

param

Post by param »

cmlover,

who is ram that this sabari is waiting for

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

All of us? ummmm

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I like to think of Kulakarni sa'ab's treasury as the 'akshayapAtram' given to Draupadi by Krishna, and his generosity in sharing its contents actually outshines the mythical Karna's (Karna only gave when he was asked; Kulkarni sa'ab gives even before we ask)....
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

WOW! the kalyANI tracks were amazing. I was also blown away by MV's composition: what a beautiful song! Unitl I heard the mudra I was wondering if this was a rare Dikshitar composition. Fantastic. Not really heard others sing this song.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

param

the ram Sabari was waiting for was indeed param ;-)

havn't you heard the line
'Sabari datta phalAshana rAM' in the naamaraamaayaNa (sung by MS).

Or if I get your question right

We are the Ramas tasting the ucchiShTaM of this Sabari....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

thanks to all of you ,for the nice sentiments expressed ,now and before.

God willing , this shall continue as long as we are allowed to interact like this.

But as I said before , It is only technology that is proving that most of us can benefit from each other ,when there are no barriers to sharing.

I have been experiencing -only recently - the generosity of a 70 year old gentleman who was involved with the sabha at nagpur for decades.I had the opportunity to do some small favour (music) and He now comes all the way from Thiruvanmiyur to Guindy-at his age- and pampers me with his recordings at the sabha.
Just when I thought I was going to call it a day for acquisitions , He plays - on my music system-a mind blowing MDR-Kalki Unte-in the Company of Lalgudi -Coimbatore Ramaswamy and *??** Iyengar on te Khanjira -
Mind blowing recording as well as rendering.
And he takes great satisfaction in the fact that this will be spread further.

So you see it keeps coming back.I just cannot keep it for myself.
Hopefully within the next few weeks , I should have a better uploading facility.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Another gem! Thanks.
Does anyone have an old Tamizh Film Song: nilavE nI poi seidhi shollAyO, hAlam unda thiru nIlakaNTaridam? The sangathIs are almost identical to this and to Tyagaraja's thuLasIdhaLa.
Ravi

param

Post by param »

CMLover

Sorry for the delay in posting my response.

I guess you are the Rama that Sabari is waiting for - the rest of us would better classify as the Vanaras - the only thing to be known is who are Hanuman, Sugreevan, Vali, Angadan, etc.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Sabari

What a delightful kambodhi! So smooth! The aalaapana is dripping with honey and that neravel at sura bhUsura ... Oh my God! If it is in my power to grant you salvation it is done ;-)

Lakshman

is it possible to post the lyric? Thanks

meena

Post by meena »

lambOdaram avalancE. rAgA: kAmbhOji. c/rUpaka tALA.- MV comp.

P: lambOdaram avalambE ambAsutam aharnisham
A: tumburu nArada vinutam lambAlakam ibhavadanam
C: surabhUsura samsEvita caraNa agha vidUram
sharaNAgata mandAram karuNAsAgaram
hariNAnka garvaharam dhIram guha sOdaram
vara pAshAnkushadharam vAsudEva bhakta varam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena!
Beautiful sahityam, worth discussing under MV thread!

meena

Post by meena »

Just when I thought I was going to call it a day for acquisitions , He plays - on my music system-a mind blowing MDR-Kalki Unte-in the Company of Lalgudi -Coimbatore Ramaswamy and *??** Iyengar on te Khanjira -
Mind blowing recording as well as rendering.
And he takes great satisfaction in the fact that this will be spread further.
Kji
the Khanjira player was sree Madurai Krishna Iyengar

and that mind blowing kriti rendered by sree mdr-kaligi uNTE gadA - kIravANi - tyAgarAja

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Dear Mr.Coolkarni,
I joined this forum recently and when I tried to access the DP rapidshare tracks, I got the message, "file not found".
May I request you or some other member who has already d/l these to upload the same so that I can enjoy this artiste who, unfortunately, has not come to the limelight in the CM world.There are many such unsung and unheralded voices in CM who have never received the adulation of the more prominent musicians, and it will be a welcome and refreshing experience for many of us to get an opportunity to hear them through this forum.One such artiste,who comes to my mind is G.S.Mani
Another one is Manakkal Rangarajan.If you have any files of these two musicians, I would appreciate your uploading them.
Thanks,
Sivaraman.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

i will wait for a day or so to see if badri or others meet your request.
We did go through a similar exercise for gs mani last year and we could repeat it.(if someone has the tracks).
Otherwise I will dig into my stock (which has received good inflows since that period !)again and upload.
Manakkal. This weekend I should be meeting his son Sriram with the hope of getting something !!!(though one concert had been uploaded earlier-the only one with me)

meena

Post by meena »

sivaraman

ALL sree DP files are still active. Try clearing ur cookies and caches.

abadri

Post by abadri »

i will wait for a day or so to see if badri or others meet your request.
We did go through a similar exercise for gs mani last year and we could repeat it.(if someone has the tracks).
Kji, will post the few individual tracks & the Coimbatore concert with VVS/UKS.
Will probably do so on Monday.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

More details on Sri Pasupathy - Direct disciple of Mysore Vasudevachar, served i Kalakshetra and Tirupathi Annamayya Foundation. Has been instrumental in popularising Annamayya Kritis, setting them to tunes, notations etc along with other giants (Voleti, Nedunuri, Sr Pinakapani etc). A multifaceted musician - A great vocalist, vainika and a Bharatanatyam exponent.
I have afew tapes of Sri Pasupathi (basically AIR concerts) and lovely compilation of Mysore Vasudevachar compositions. Need to digitize them, will try doing it over the weekend and post!

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Coolkarni,
Many thanks for your great efforts .Looking forward to the uploading of G.S.Mani and Manakkal Rangarajan tracks.
Incidentally, I have uploaded an awesome ARI concert in this forum for the pleasure of music lovers.
Sivaraman.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

padren,
Looking forward to the shower of nectar!
ini amudum tEnum yedarku?
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

padrenji

thanku for the treat!

MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

Thank you very much for the Gokula Nilaya!

My earliest memories in life are living just a few yards away from the music classroom at the Theosophical High School within the Theosophical society campus in Adyar -- where the KFI school now is.

(coolkarni, there used to be an old fort or palace like big structure inside, and behind that were some living quarters where the long time HM Krishnarathnam and three other teachers lived, as well as a music class room -- do not know if the structures still exist).

And two of my favorites were Gokula Nilaya and also a song which started "rAdha kAntha shyamalALanga dwaraka vAsA mAdhavA ..."

As a 2 or 3 year old, I used to stand across from the class, and ask the teacher to sing again and again those two -- and the teacher and the students usually complied with my request!

Thanks again for bringing back memories from long, long ago --
now, if only someone else has a copy of "rAdha kAnthA ..."

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Whose composition is rAdhAkAnta shyAmaLAnga?

MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

Whose composition is rAdhAkAnta shyAmaLAnga?
Lakshman,

Don't know -- all I remember is what I listened to when I was between 2 and 5 years old -- quite a while ago. Have done google searches, no luck.

The raga is BhimpLas (guess that explains why I liked both rAdhA kanthA and gOkula nilaya) -- and given that it was taught at the Theosophical High School, I imagine there must be a Varadachar or Vasudevachar or some other Kalakshetra connection (of course, I may be wrong).

The lyrics, from memory are as follows:

rAdhA kanthA shyamaLAngA
dwaraka vAsA madhAvA

kamsa dwamki veNuka bandhana (? - sorry, my sanskrit is not good)
kaLiNga nardhana keshava

Sanka chakra dhara peethambaradhara
garuda vAhana murahari
gokula VAsA nathajana sheela
gOpI ramaNa keshava

sangeeth

Post by sangeeth »

Info about Prof.D.Pasupathi

Pasupathi sir is a product of Kalakshetra, Chennai, India and learnt music under Sri. “Tigerâ€

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Didn't realize there was a thread on vidwan D. Pasupathi! I heard a recording of his years ago, and was hooked straightaway. Have been looking for more of his music.

I realize the uploads on this thread are quite dated, but if someone would be kind enough to upload at least one or two pieces, you would make this rasika immensely happy. Thankyou.

meena

Post by meena »

jayaram

as u know, on this forum we use audio clips to understand the topic of discussions. Requesting for reuploads or clips one missed will be an never ending assignments don't u think?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Madam, I am so glad you were not my school teacher! ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ah !
My Knuckles hurt again today.. I Wonder why ?:)

Jayaram
We will get around the issue of RE UPLOADS by uploading something new !!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

thankyou, shashi

Re: the re-uploads, perhaps you can upload any way, and let me know by email (psst, we don't want to be caught here for being naughty! ;) )

<<so exciting, feels like school days again...>>

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Shashi, any luck getting D.Pasupathy recordings?
(Another artiste whose music is hard to find is Sadagopan)
Last edited by jayaram on 15 Dec 2006, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kudos to the wonderful artist:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/02/02/stor ... 910500.htm
Music

Vijay Kichlu - Hindustani music (vocal); Rashid Khan - Hindustani music (vocal); Shahid Parvez Khan - Hindustani instrumental music (sitar); Kumar Bose - Hindustani instrumental music (tabla); D. Pasupathy -

Carnatic music (vocal); Chingleput Ranganathan -Carnatic music (vocal).

N. Ravikiran - Carnatic instrumental music (gottuvadayam); Tiruvarur Bakthavatsalam - Carnatic instrumental music (mridangam).