MSS playing the veena

Carnatic Musicians
Rsachi

MSS playing the veena

Post by Rsachi »

Dear all,
I remember listening some months ago to a clip wherein MSS sings as well as plays the Veena. At the end she comments that she couldn't play some phrases correctly.
Can you share this clip again here please?
Can't find it anywhere now.
Thanks in advance!

Aditto

Re: MSS playing the veena

Post by Aditto »

I am sharing with you the tracks I have got where MS plays Veena and sings or MS is singing to the accompaniment of Veena. Being a Telugu native, I could not understand the remarks at the end of some songs. Please tell which of these songs is the song you are referring to Sree Rsachi garu.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/apduob ... SS_-_Veena

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks Aditto! Will come back...

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

If there is a clip where Smt.MSS plays veena, It has to be a great find...Hats off...Waiting eagerly to listen..

As far as I know, there was a compliment by Karaikudi Sambasiva lyer who said “Child, you carry the veena in your throat.”

It seems that there were some devotional songs by her for which Veena played by Chittibabu, Mandolin by Srinivas, Saxaphone by Kadhri Gopalnath..

but I could not get any link to them...

MS Amma (as fondly called) had her 1st recording, when she was a kid of 10 years! (1926)
She came back from school & was eager to go out and play; But her mom, Madurai Shanmuga Vadivu, got her an opportunity!
She made the kid, sing a Tamizh Song (Maragatha Vadivum); The mother played Veena along with the kid; This was recorded by Oriental Records!

This song was composed by a great Vaishnavite devotee of Lord Muruga @ Tiruchendur!
His name was Pagazhi Koothar;
He lived in 15th CE; He composed this "kiddie poem" called piLLai Tamizh and this one is a lullaby to Tiruchendur Muruga!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4WMSvg2Q0

venkatakailasam

Cheta sri Balakrishnam (Dvijavanti) with Shri K S Narayanaswamy on the Veena Source :sangeethapriya.org

Slokam – Suryamurte – Saurashtram Chandram Bhajamanasa – Asaveri with Veena.... Angaarakam – Surutti Source : sangeethapriya.org

The above are from http://blog.msstribute.org/category/music/

CRama

Post by CRama »

Aditto, those bunch of tracks of MSS playing Veena is a priceless treasure I got on the occasion of MSS Birthday. I am not sure if KSN is playing veena to the accompaniment of MSS vocal in a few tracks. The thodi song is not Kamalambike. Looks like a varnam. But not able to identify. I will try again,. Meanwhile more knowledgeable members may chip in.
At the end of Bhajare re chitha MS says some sangathi pesallai. means some sangathis have not come perfect. If somebody hears with a head phone, it will be clear. Thanks a ton.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes CRama! This is what I was looking for also. I am quite sure that MS Amma is playing the veena and singing. I know about veena playing a bit and her voice clearly shows she is stooping a bit to play the instrument.
She says in the end, "modal sangatidaan pesave ille". She would not have made this statement to another vainika!

Let us celebrate this goddess of music.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes CRama! This is what I was looking for also. I am quite sure that MS Amma is playing the veena and singing. I know about veena playing a bit and her voice clearly shows she is stooping a bit to play the instrument.
She says in the end, "modal sangatidaan pesave ille". She would not have made this statement to another vainika!

Let us celebrate this goddess of music.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

CRama garu. Is it? I have downloaded the same from some online source long back. Back then, I was as illiterate in music as I am today. So, I did not rename the song. :)

I wish to see a video of MS singing and playing the veena, her UN concert for that Sankarabharanam, Viriboni Varnam. Wish I had alladin's magic lamp :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

Aditto, I think the thodi piece is Kanakangi varnam. Better if somebody also confirms.

venkatakailasam

http://oasis.lib.harvard.edu//oasis/del ... d=mus00008

Rubin, James. Collection of Indian classical music, 1957-1989..

May be of interest..If useful...

Recorded live at Kalki, December 29, 1966, 10:00 AM-12:30 PM. Items were not announced and no program was provided. Most are not identified.

Performers: M.S. Subbulakshmi, Vina; K.S. Nāyāyaṇacāmi Aiyar, Vina

Composition: Unidentified[awm rl 15186 (1)]
Genre: Kirtana
Raga: Unidentified
Tala: Ādi
Composer: Unidentified

Composition: Unidentified[awm rl 15186 (2)]
Tala: Unidentified

Composition: Unidentified[awm rl 15186 (3)]
Composer: Dīkṣita
Note: M.S. Subbulakshmi sings off microphone

Composition: O Jagadamba Nanu[awm rl 15186 (4)]
Raga: Ānandabhairavī
Composer: Syama Sastri
Note: Interupted in middle to discuss tenpo

Composition: O Jagadamba Nanu[awm rl 15186 (5)]
Composer: Syama Sastri
Note: Second take

Composition: Unidentified[awm rl 15186 (6)]
Raga: Bhairavī
Tala: Unidentified
Note: Musicians stop in Anupallavi and do not finish song

Track 2

Program 1.
Recorded live at Kalki, December 29, 1966, 10:00 AM-12:30 PM.
Performers: M.S. Subbulakshmi, Vocal; K.S. Nāyāyaṇacāmi Aiyar, Vina
Composition: Tyāgeśam Bhaja Re[awm rl 15186 (9)]
Raga: Rudrapriya
Composer: Dīkṣita
Compostition: Tāṉam[awm rl 15186 (10)]
Genre: Tāṉam
Raga: Rāgamālika
Note: Vina solo by K.S. Nāyāyaṇacāmi Aiyar
Compostition: Alāpana and Tāṉam[awm rl 15186 (11)]
Genre: Alāpana and Tāṉam
Raga: Kalyāṇī
Compostition: Alāpana and Tāṉam[awm rl 15186 (12)]
Genre: Alāpana and Tāṉam

I am not able to down load...at the links..

venkatakailasam

Shri MKR may recollect...the event...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I could not download the archives. However I was aware of the collections--Rubin Mama was a good friend of myself and my wife and whenever he visited NY he would call on us and "trade' stories about MSS/TS. He was a steadfast friend of the family and he and TS Mama took to each other like Duck-to-water. A personal anecdote that might throw light on TS Mama's benevolence and Rubin Mama's follow-up!!

When I decided to come to the US in 1969 to pursue graduate studies,I had called on TS Mama just to take leave of him--he made enquiries about what arrangements I had made for my study(I was married with 2 children who could not accompany me to the US for financial reasons). I did not go into too much details as I was planning to make suitable arrangements after my landing in the US. TS mama persisted in asking how I am going to finance my studies etc--I told him I was going to take a loan as the US Schools generally offer loans--he asks me "How would they advance a loan without any surety or guarantee"? I was taken aback with this degree of inquisitiveness(I should have known TS Mama had always a purpose behind his questioning) I replied I would find somebody in the US to underwrite the loan. He said "Don't take chances I wil arrange for it--Rightaway he books a trunk call to Rubin Mama and in my presence tells him to give the undertaking to which Rubin mama readily agrees- although I have seen him several times in India I did not know him personally nor could I expect him to remember me amongst the hordes of TS's friends he had met in India.

Sure enough I land in NY and send the document to Rubin mama in Boston--sight unseen he signs and sends the document back.TAILPIECE: The loan was low interest 7 years after graduation--I felt so obligated and fearful that Rubin Mama's and TS mama's reputation should not be sullied thro default--the recession was in full swing with all the immigration concerns-yet I managed to retire the note in SEVEN months.

I mention this not to trumpet my sense of probity or gratitude but to highlight the kindred spirit that united both Rubin mama and TS Mama.

I must also mention one of the ideas that TS mentioned to me about the possibility of screening the Film meera(the Hindi version) in the US in various locations to raise funds for some charitable cause--mind you this was at the "throes" of the Financial Armageddon that engulfed Kalki at that time*he is thinking of raising money for a chartable cause when his won cause should get greater priority"--anyway I managed to bring the 35 MM print(heavy as it was!!) in those days(early seventies!!). Rubin Mama and myself discussed the logistics(Ellis Duncan the Director of MS Amma's movies--Savithri,Shakumthalai etc) was also involved--he was in his eighties retired in S.Carolina--we went back and forth--I did not have enough contacts in the US( perhaps I should have approached VKV for help!!) and neither could Rubin mama pull it off--To this day I feel bad that I could not be of any help to a worthy cause.

Sorry for the long-winded post!! Posterity will thank Rubin mama for his efforts to methodically "archive" MS Amma's concerts that he had recorded. He would have been the BEST Curator of the Kalki gardens artifacts. During MS Amma's tour of the US in 1977 we interacted well/coordinating the travel/lodging arrangements with CVN.Rubin Mama was one of the most thorough, meticulous,action-minded persons I have known--no doubt he and TS got along so well !!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Another touching story from you Ramesh, with yet another unforgettable character--Rubin.
Wasn't he very close to R.K. Narayan too?

The power of music, that too of the gAnak kuyil's music!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Yes!! Arasi- I have had great interactions with both of them whenever RKN visited NY--our house used to be the meeting ground for he Duo--the RKN stories--I need a separate thread to narrate-- I was thinking of narrating my experiences with literary personalities(based on my work experience in Book Publishing) and also film personalities--Padmini(who had settled in the US for over 30 years till her demise),Nagesh,Ranjan et al.

Ofcourse it has nothing to do with Music or Rasikas interests!!

Perhaps the ADMIN Srikris could suggest something!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
Don't you visit the Literature section of the forum? We have plenty of things going on there (Dr. Pasupathy being a major contributor). That's the place where you can bring all your recollections of RKN and the other personalities you mention. We will be the richer for it. The posts don't have to be in tamizh necessarily. We write in english too there.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Yes!! Arasi- I have had great interactions with both of them whenever RKN visited NY--our house used to be the meeting ground for he Duo--the RKN stories--I need a separate thread to narrate-- I was thinking of narrating my experiences with literary personalities(based on my work experience in Book Publishing) and also film personalities--Padmini(who had settled in the US for over 30 years till her demise),Nagesh,Ranjan et al.

Ofcourse it has nothing to do with Music or Rasikas interests!!

Perhaps the ADMIN Srikris could suggest something!!!
MKR sir
It is long due , you can talk all about non music - especially work related where you had a chance to meet lot of great authors.
There is a thread where you can continue http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23474

I remember long time back you said that you are one of the few in US who continued with one wife and one job . One wife is such a easy achievement sir , but one job is certainly not - that too heading marketing department which surely takes a different and unique personality that 99.99999% of Indians cannot match(you need excess tAra sthayi communication and a lot of english bhAsha gnana) . We are all ears , continue in that thread- all about non musical aspects and your US saga.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Right you are! This way, more will get to read about MKR's interactions with not necessarily music-related personalities.