Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Post by venkatakailasam »

The most shocking news:

Deeply regret the untimely passing of the maestro. May his soul rest in peace.

Shri Ravi Kiran:

"Unbelievable......... Shell shocked.......Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas was not only God's gift to world music but was like my own family...... I was monitoring his situation even till a day or two ago and was told things were better......... I even texted Rajesh about 10 mts back to check on him..."

He was admitted for liver trans plant a few days back..
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 19 Sep 2014, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Re: Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Post by CRama »

Most tragic. no words to explain the grief. God is cruel many times. may his soul rest in peace. God only should give strength to his family, dear ones disciples and admirers to bear this shock.

hamsadhwani

Post by hamsadhwani »

Every Christmas evening of my childhood until moving away to another country was spent at the Mylapore Fine Arts Club in awe listening to this prodigy. Very hard to believe he is no more :-(

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Shell shocked really.

May his soul rest in peace and may God give strength to his family members during this hard time.

Mannarkoil Balaji

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

This is absolutely cruel! I am shocked.
What a great loss.

Sincere condolences to everyone.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Deeply shocked.
CM loses a genius.
Sincere condolence to the Family

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

Shocked and tear eyed. Cruel.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

When the most gifted musical genius of a generation passes on, who is bereaved? The fans, the listeners, or the whole world of music!?
A colossal tragedy for Carnatic music indeed. May his soul merge in the infinity of music.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Shocking news. Sincere condolences to the family and all his fans and admirers which includes a lot of us here. We have lost a true innovator and a genius.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

One of the true child prodigies and geniuses of our times. Amazing musician and a wonderful person. An irreparable loss to the CM world. These are difficult times.

smala

Post by smala »

I just read this news and cannot quite believe it.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A massive loss to music. Shrinivas was an inspiration to so many people around the world and his demise is quite incomprehensible.

raghavt

Re: Mandolin Srinivas passes away

Post by raghavt »

Its shocking & terrible news.... :((

May he Rest In Peace

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

A great loss for all of us . His effortless playing and the depth of classical music in a fairly unheard mandolin did help many of rasikas to comprehend classical music . Condolences to his family .

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

Today morning I was listening to his bilahari (dorakuna) accompanied by Kanyakumari and Valangaimaan Shanmugasundaram and thought God gave a 'Pokkisham' to his father who donated it to the world. He was a gandharva when he took the 1/2 feet instrument in his hand. An unparalleled genius in the last 100 years. We can only say God wanted his music back in the celestial world. Whom to convey the condolences when we ourselves are very aggrieved?
May his soul rest in peace!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

At the age , according to Sruti Magazine, of only 45 years. Deeply shocking and sad.

Liver transplant? He must have been seriously ill for some time?

Very sad news.

ananthbell

Post by ananthbell »

Unbelievable......such a lovely human...thinking that shri shrinivas is no more pains me a lot. May the noble soul rest in peace

CRama

Post by CRama »

Last month he gave a concert in Thanjavur.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Most tragic. Condolences to the disciples, near & dear.

As someone pointed out, his Christmas evening concerts @ Mylapore Fine Arts with Trichy Sankaran & Harishankar will be irreplaceable.

hamsadhwani

Post by hamsadhwani »

semmu86 wrote:Most tragic. Condolences to the disciples, near & dear.

As someone pointed out, his Christmas evening concerts @ Mylapore Fine Arts with Trichy Sankaran & Harishankar will be irreplaceable.
Trichy Sankaran Sir, Sri. Harishankar and Delhi Sundarrajan on the violin is the combination I remember vividly, from my childhood days. The camaraderie he shared with his co-artistes on stage was delightful to both watch and hear.

srikanthj

Post by srikanthj »

Shocking and tragic. Saw the news scrolling on a TV channel and rushed online hoping it was a mistake. It is still unbelievable!

My earliest memories of him are from his concerts in the 80's for TTD in Tirupati - a young kid producing enchanting music on a small instrument and blazing new trails in the music world.

Condolences to all near and deal ones. But, really, echoing Chalanata "Whom to convey the condolences when we ourselves are very aggrieved?"

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shocking news. Not able to digest. Sincere condolences to the family and all his fans and admirers.
Thanjavooran
19 09 2014

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Truly shocking. Deepest condolences to his family and the grieving world of Carnatic Music.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Shocking. What a huge loss to CM. Difficult to imagine the plight of his family, losing a member at such a young age. Deepest condolences to his family and his fans.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Very shocking. Great loss to the music world. Loss of words.

ajit

msuresh55

Post by msuresh55 »

It is a big loss. Condolences to his family and friends.

Like Nick above, I too could not help but being struck by the news of his liver transplant operation because it suggests that he must have been ill for some time. Just a few minutes back on Kutcheribuzz, I found this enigmatic statement in the obituary notice on the maestro: "His personal life though was in a shambles and away from the lights and the fans, that life ran on a troubled plane which affected his health."

If true, I don't want to know the details. I only regret that Shrinivas did not receive the help that might have saved his life. I will add that many mental health problems go untreated even in the West because of the "stigma." The situation is probably much worse in India. I hope this tragedy prompts us to take this issue seriously and to understand that mental health problems are like any other health issue and can be treated.

At some point, I hope someone knowledgable will write an article on his music -- both Carnatic and his forays into fusion -- because that is what he deserves to be remembered for. It is easy to write off his fusion music but true justice can be done to him only if his fusion work is given serious consideration (which does not mean praising it unreservedly).

kvn_bhakta

Post by kvn_bhakta »

Very sad to hear. One of my first exposures to carnatic music was being taken to listen to a mandolin concert in the early 80s when he took the carnatic world by storm. Sangeetha released a cassette which I still have and remember - lovely crisp renditions of Vatapi and Samajavaragamana with the beautifully sweet sound, precise rhythms and brilliant kalpana swarams that blew everyone away.

I think those 3 characteristics stayed always in his music, but he matured and grew as a musician too. I have heard him also play beautiful RTPs in ragams like Charukesi, Vakulabharanam, Kiravani, Shanmughapriya, Kambodhi, Shankarabharanam. Those alapanas especially are treasures. His sound became more sophisticated over the years, guitarist friends tell me his technique (which they all try to imitate) became exceptional - what he was able to play on a single string to produce a continuous still-sweet sound was unmatched. But most of all his creativity, being able to capture beautiful moments of the raga in short sweet phrases, is what set him apart. When asked about his rhythmically intricate swaram playing he used to say that the patterns just appeared before his eyes while playing, he was truly gifted and we are fortunate he shared his gift with us.

Watching him in a concert was wonderful too. He smiled angelically all the time, except when he was in deep concentration. He clearly loved music and loved to perform.

Along with Balamuralikrishna, he was surely the most widely known carnatic musician. Is there any other musician so universally loved by the layman and the connoisseur? Other musicians loved his music too, notably his fusion collaborators, AR Rahman etc.

I will miss looking forward to his concerts.

Rest In Peace.
Last edited by kvn_bhakta on 19 Sep 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Great loss to the CM community. Condolences to family, friends and disciples.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Very sad news. Sincere condolences to his family members. amsharma

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

very shocking...feeling extremely sad and sorry for his family and near and dear ones.... this is not age to die. Does anyone know how old are his kids ?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Clearly , he was one musician who was accepted by even laymen, and people were amazed at a kid playing some extra ordinary music. A musical gift like him to the Universe would only rarely occur. May his soul rest in peace.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Mandolin Srinivas's music was for all people - people with or without any familiarity with carnatic music.On stage was extremely humble.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

This is sad... He was only 45 years young!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

THE MANDOLIN WEEPS!
A Friday like any other, but not the same
A day when I woke up to find myself alone
Searched here, searched there
For the hands that picked me up from a corner
For the hands that caressed me with loving care
The hands that carried me for I know not how long
The hands that cajoled me me into giving my best
Ever since then I became he and he became me
I am from the west, he is from the east
Who said the twain shall never meet?
We met, we spoke,together we created music
We sore high and high in the vast sky
That is known as Carnatic music
He took me to such great heights
When he wanted to go still higher
He thought I was too heavy and left me and went
He went away happy ,
Happy that he made others happy
Alas what can I do , I can only weep!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shattering news.
Angelic smile, heavenly sound, and it seems as though this world 'borrowed' a heavenly player for a short spell.
A magical spell his music could cast, but the heavens reclaimed him too soon...

He will be with his ilk in music up there--perchance the right place for him to be, but what a loss for his family and all music lovers!

His smile, though his 'bInA kE sur rOyE' at times, was a perfect match for his music. You, Srinivas!
'enna sirippu, enna vAsippu!'

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

from hanquill-great men appear very few and very rare-this aphorism holds fully to great vidwan Mandolin srinivas.I had the pleasure of sitting next to him in a concert 6 months back-I felt rather elated sitting near a great vidwan-a world renowned musician,an inventor of an instrument-mandolin making suitable for carnatic music,a unique vidwan playing unique type -exhaustive raga alapana, kirtana,sky high manodharma swarams,kanakku etc. etc. even stunned the stalwarts who accompanied him. A peerless vidwan is no more.May His soul rest in peace-hanquill

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Loving Sairam!

It is with a deep sense of pain and shock we wish to share with the Sai Family, that a noble devotee and an unmatched musician has concluded his earthly sojourn. Mandolin U Srinivas passed away this morning at 10 a.m in a private hospital in Chennai due to a liver complication.

Mandolin Srinivas was a child prodigy who retained his childlike innocence and humility till the very end, and we fondly remember him for that. Music can enchant us all, it heals and elevates. That music can also touch the Lord Himself. But if the same music comes from a heart that is humble and loving, it conquers the Lord. Such was this legend’s music, such was his devotion. He came to Swami when he was a tender teenager, and ever since he was always ready to offer his music at Bhagawan’s feet. We cannot forget those beautiful moments when our ears were filled with his nectarous music and our eyes feasted on Bhagawan’s beautiful form swaying to his music. He would never forget or hesitate to tell those who appreciated him, that all his talent was a gift from his Lord.

We at Radio Sai recollect the times he, without the slightest hesitation, offered his labour of love for our many projects. That never fading smile, that incredible humility, the never ending stream of encouragement and of course that ethereal music of his, will remain for ever and ever etched in all our memories.

- Team Radio Sai

Of this world he never belonged,
A saint in the truest sense,
God loaned him to this world,
For a brief spell,
To dispel as much pain and suffering
With his smile as much as with his music,
This void will remain deep and bare,
This question, an answer none can dare,
God's own Child has merged in Him,
A state of purity completely out-worldly
We who remain behind,
Will never know the heavenly symphony his soul will find.

- Sai Prakash (Team Radio Sai)
— with Govardhana Krishna Radha Krishna.

From Radio Sai

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

We were supposed to release this as part of the documentary on Legendary Harishankar. It is our misfortune that we are posting this as a tribute to U.Shrinivas. Every words Shrinivas says drips with his trademark humility. You can replace "khanjira" with Mandolin and "Harishankar" with "Shrinivas" and the video would totally make sense.

"Dear Shrinivas - a whole generation is lucky to have grown up with you. Your music enriched our lives. It inspired us. All the memorable moments in lives are entangled with your sublime music. You will rest in peace as you had no more peaks to scale. It is only us fans who are inconsolable"

Thank you so much for giving so much of Joy and happiness to your numerous rasikas.

The Video can be seen here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Yzj4hIDYg

Team Parivadini

arasi

Post by arasi »

parivadini,
Thanks.Yes, one life reflecting on and reflecting another...

'Where do they all come from', these minstrels of heavenly music, we wonder...

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

What a tragedy! A true genius. He brought in a western instrument into carnatic music and made it one of its own. That's sheer genius. A very humble person - saw his first concert in 1982 and many more after that. Why has life got to be so cruel. Am at loss for words.....

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

My heartfelt condolences to all.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

We join in with all of you to honor the memory of this young but nevertheless Great Legend.
Peace unto all, as he sought to instil a great happiness in all of us, through his genius.

A truly great soul.

Our humble compilation unto him @ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Respectfully,
CPBlog Team

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I am at a loss for words to express my shock and grief at the passing away of this genius at such an young age. I first listened to his recording played on the Air India flight to India in 1984, I believe, and that was the only thing that made the travel by Air India tolerable. I have been a fan of his music ever since and never missed an opportunity to attend his live concerts either here or during my visits to India. My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and rasikas.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

parivadini wrote:We were supposed to release this as part of the documentary on Legendary Harishankar. It is our misfortune that we are posting this as a tribute to U.Shrinivas. Every words Shrinivas says drips with his trademark humility. You can replace "khanjira" with Mandolin and "Harishankar" with "Shrinivas" and the video would totally make sense.
That was one tough video to watch without breaking down! Unfortunate circumstances notwithstanding, thank you for sharing.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Listen to an interview with Mandolin Srinivas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKeW7iI ... e=youtu.be

balakk

Post by balakk »

The definition of the word Prodigy. A rare musician, who made his chosen instrument synonymous with his name! Condolences to all near and dear.