Seergazhi Govindarajan

Carnatic Musicians
shan_subra

Post by shan_subra »

I was just surfing when I got into this site. I know for a fact that Sirkazhi takes great care in his fully understanding the lyrics, whatever the language may be. He would ask them how it should be pronounced, where the sylable should be stressed and where should be softer etc. In fact even for his archival recordings of abhirami andhadhi and Kandar alankaram and many such traditional literature he would sit with Variyar Swami and learn where they should be seperated etc.

Tamil Language does not have Ka, Kha, ga and Gha and it is vinayaGane NOT vinyaKane and Sagala not saKala

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

shan_subra wrote:Tamil Language does not have Ka, Kha, ga and Gha and it is vinayaGane NOT vinyaKane and Sagala not saKala
Then the Keralites are correct if they pronounce lalitha as LeLidha, gopi and GoBi, ravi as Revi and so on.

Raag Dhanyasi may be pronounced as Thanyasi. Karaharapriya may be called as Kara-kara-piriya in Tamil. What's wrong? "Pranava" may be pronounced as "Piranava".

I reiterate, that the beauty of a language gets enhanced if it is interspersed by words from other languages especially Sanskrit.

I do not understand why the so-called pure Tamils (howsoever classical the language and original it may be) or Tamilians should endeavour not to pronounce Sanskrit words in the way it is intended. If that attitude preserves the classical Tamil, may it prevail. I do not consider it beneath my dignity to say "Namaskaram" as opposed to "vanakkam".

Namaskaram.
Last edited by kaumaaram on 15 Dec 2007, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

sindhu

Post by sindhu »

When we say kadai(shop), kadal(sea) we pronounce 'da' only and not ta, tha etc, In fact, in my opinion, Tamil has more versatality in its usage. One alpha represents not just one but 4 as well. gr8.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This issue has been discussed at length here: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2054&p=1 and other threads in this forum.

Usually there are no resolutions of any sort for these things even when there is a logical answer. For some reason, either camp would not want to look sympathetically to the points of the other camp and end up genuinely believing that the other side is a fanatic. One thing that is easy to see is: It is not just about languages: There is this whole socio-caste-cultural background that we bring to these discussions which is hard to cleanly separate from the pure Linguistics aspects.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

My stomach turns at all those occasions I have been labelled a Gulagarni by Doctors( who have had the experience of travelling all over the country and the world , too.)

The issue is that once an awareness sets in , about the individualities of each poles , one must have an outlook to keep shifting from one to another, as the situation demands.If people can go off to faraway lands and adapt to practices that are developed through reason over generations (like not hanging out your clothes from your apartment window-for example) , I cannot understand the failure to use the correct letters while writing in English , or even pronouncing.

I must thank my stars that the demands of Tamizh language are not such that I have to be addressed as Kozhakarni (Kozhaka stands for dirty chap in kannada) .I might have ended up with an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder , in my 26 years of stay in Chennai , always busy,washing and cleaning myself.

:P
Last edited by coolkarni on 16 Dec 2007, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

my boss a northeast man pronounces 'arumugam' as 'Aramhakham' despite his best efforts. most unfortunately he has to frequently use his name because 'Arumugam' is his personal attendent.
Rose does not smell any less sweet in which ever name it is called.
coolji,
you also sound more musical when you are addressed 'Gulgani'!

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Thayumanavar Paadal

அத்துவித வத்துவைச் சொப்ரகா சத்தனியை
அருமறைகள் முரசறையவே
அறிவினுக் கறிவாகி ஆனந்த மயமான
ஆதியை அநாதியேக
தத்துவ சொருபத்தை மதசம்ம தம்பெறாச்
சாலம்ப ரகிதமான
சாசுவத புட்கல நிராலம்ப ஆலம்ப
சாந்தபத வ்யோமநிலையை
நிர்தநிர் மலசகித நிஷ்ப்ரபஞ் சப்பொருளை
நிர்விஷய சுத்தமான
நிர்வி காரத்தைத் தடத்தமாய் நின்றொளிர்
நிரஞ்சன நிராமயத்தைச்
சித்தமறி யாதபடி சித்தத்தில் நின்றிலகு
திவ்யதே சோமயத்தைச்
சிற்பர வெளிக்குள்வளர் தற்பரம தானபர
தேவதையை அஞ்சலிசெய்வாம். 3.

What an amazing combination of the two languages! One should sing this in Viruttam style in Raaga Chenchuruti.

Kaumaaram

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

@coolkarni sir:

K becoming G in the middle of a word could apply to KannaDa also I guess? recently a tourist guide in Hampi was explaining something about old kannaDa to our group and I asked him, you mean "halE kannaDa" trying to show off my "general klnowledge" ...he corrected me immediately pronouncing it as "aLeGannaDa" or something close to that...

Sri

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

On the rule of ka becoming ga in Kannada (or in general the 1st letter of a varga becoming 3rd):

ka *might* become ga in a samAsa pada (which dictates that there should be 2 words) as in the following examples.

haLe + kannaDa -> haLegannaDa
bisilu+ kudure -> bisilgudure

But you would not be terribly wrong by saying haLekannaDa and bisilukudure.

However, ka will NOT become ga within single word - as vinAyaka, oDaka, haruka, muruka etc :)

-Ramakriya