Doubts regarding KORVAI

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

Hi , I play carnatic on keyboard and i have a few doubts regarding "korvai" in kalpanaswarams bcos i dont have a teacher for advanced learning.

1.Is korvai mandatory for the endings of kalpanaswaras or is it possible to finish with a simple set of swaras

2. How do i formulate the korvai in such a way that there is a purvangam & uttrangam part

3.how do i frame patterns like 3-5 3-7 3-9 myself

4.When i listen to the recordings of musicians i am not able to figure out what type of korvai it is

5 Should korvai start at samam?

Can anyone please help me out???:(

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

Priya S

Welcome to this site.

Answers to your querries, with relation to kalpanA swara and kOrvais r:

1) KOrvai (kOrthu vai !!!) - Origin may have been from 'kOrthal' means adding / combination of something.

It would solely depend on the vocal / instrumental artists taste and willingness to use a korvai. Above all, more than remembering, understanding of structure is very important.

Even sarvalaghu swarams can also be sung, as long as there is no gap between kalpanA swara and the kriti eduppu. ( Only in HindustAni Music the gap is given between imaginary swaras and lyrics beginning).

The kalapanA swara may end on the preceeding or the following swara with regard to kriti eduppu swara. Even jAru prOyaga swara such Dhaga can be used, again depends on the parameters of that particular raag.

ta ki ta (Sa ni dha); ta ka dhi mi (Sa ni dha pa) are so to say small jatis used.

2) Basically korvais are on 'ta dhin gi Na thOm' (say sa ri ga ma pa) each single unit - 5 swaras ( 1 and 1/4 akshara of chatustra gati ) and this jati can be expanded like ta(1) dheen(2) gi(1) Na(1) thOm(1) = 6 swara kAla (1 and 1/2 akshara of ch. gati).

One can go on expanding according to the imagination. In between such swaras, karvais (like Paa;, (5 swara kAla) can be introduced.

Such jati once framed should be sung/played thrice, then the lyrics follow immediately. Two or more set up of jatis can also used.

Taking simple single unit 'tha dhin gi Na thom' (1 and 1/4 akshara kAla) and repeated thrice, it is a 3 and 3/4 akshara kAla korvai.
example - ga ma pa dha ni
ma pa dha ni Sa
pa dha ni Sa Ri (Siva kAmeshwarIm).

Further korvais are built with kArvai, as above. More combinations and kArvais, bigger the kOrvais.

Hence kOrvai need not start from samam.

Happy korvaing and pl come back.

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

Priya

For a rUpaka tALa (12 swara kAla).. sama eduppu for both kalpanA swara as well as kriti eduppu

ta ki ta ta ka dhi mi ta dhin gi Na thom (without any kArvai)

Eg. in swara - Sa Ri Sa Ri Sa ni dha Sa ni dha pa ma (...)

like this, you may start working out.

va
Last edited by V_ANNASAMY on 19 May 2007, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

Annasamy Sir,
Thank u for ur prompt response.It was an interesting one but i s'd say i was able to grasp only 50%of it.

1 .What is karvai? I suppose it should be incorporated in every korvai!

2. In The example(korvai) which u have cited, it lasts only for 3 ,3/4th of one avardanam ie 15 aksharas.I thought it should extend upto 1 or 2 avardanas.

3.Does "thom" stand for 1 aksharam or2?

4.A korvai needs to be repeated thrice--so s'd the same set of swaras be played during each time of repetition ??

5.What is uttrangam? Should it be ascending or descending set of swaras??

6. http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/c ... /ragam.23/

In this link, in the rec. of vathapi(MS Subbulakshmi), what is the uttrangam part in the korvai?........It seems to be quite simple

In the same link Vathapi (Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana) the korvai is very confusing!!!

These are the doubts lingering in my mind at present
I hope i am not confusing u with my doubts....I am just struggling to get the hang of it!!!
Last edited by Priya_s on 19 May 2007, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Priya S

VA has said clearly :

1) tha dhin gi Na thom ( sa ri ga ma pa ) - all are basically single jati/swara (wihtout any kArvai). thom naturally is a single swara kAla (without kArvai).

2) kArvai is nothhing but extension/elongation of swaras. like simple pa becoming paa paa, paa: paa:, paa:: etc. (even sarali varisai teaches us - sa ri ga ma / paa / paa // where pa is having extension upto 2 aksharAs.

3) Big kOrvais need combination of juch jatis.

4) To understand a specimen structure, he had given a small korvai. (3 and 3/4 akshara kAla), Also in the second discussion, he had used rUpaka thALa (3 avarthanam - 12 akshara kAla)

5) Fpr bigger kOrvais (many avarthanams ), combine many sets and you get them.

and you hve said 15 akshara kAla - no it is 15 swara kAla ie. 3 and 3/4 aksharams.

Hope, you would come out of confusion.

Thanks VA for the explanation.

Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

Thanks , the concept of karvai in a korvai looks to be quite clear.

But i am afraid one of my queries remains unanswered..........

What is uttrangam?????Why does a korvai need to be framed with 2 parts??

Also can u give me an example for a medium sized korvai in Adi Tala? for Hamsadwani (in the form of jathis /swaras) Please..........

Eagerly awaiting ur response:|
Last edited by Priya_s on 20 May 2007, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think your should check out the thread on structuring a korvai in Thani. http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2359

You will many of your questions answered there! The theory is the same for the mridangist as it is for the singer, even though most thani korvais may be longer and more complex.

It is a little difficult to jump in the deep end with the explanations when you then ask -- what is a korvai and why must it have two parts! Actually, I learnt from the thread I mention that it can have three parts! i never knew that before.

Do you not get this information from your teacher?

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Request Moderators to move this thread under Tala/Laya or even better would be to merge it with the "Structuring Korvai thread" Please.

J.Balaji