What is a good app for beginners to identify Swarasthanam?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sowminis

What is a good app for beginners to identify Swarasthanam?

Post by Sowminis »

What is a good app on iPad or iphone to identify Swarasthanam for beginners? I was using the CarnaticTuner app until I realized it has issues with some notes when I compared it with my keyboard. The app Swarathana is good but has a limited view and I can not see the complete range of S-to-S. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

Sachi_R

Re: What is a good app for beginners to identify Swarasthanam?

Post by Sachi_R »

Sowminis
I am no expert but have walked this way before. so.

The western keyboard uses the equitempered scale which is different from the 22 Shruti system of Indian classical music. So you are bound to find differences. In this forum and elsewhere you can get more info on this.

The 22 shruti system seems to me to be perfect as it is based on some fundamental universal principles of melody.

No app has the synthesizer to produce a rich timbre of sound like a real instrument or voice so using apps on devices will always spoil the musical learning and musical experience compared to learning with real string and wind instruments under a guru.

The best way to detect swarasthanams is by incessant listening to the masters of melody old and new and digesting the paradigms. Then if you are presented a strange set of sounds without any indication of aadhaara shruti maybe you can resort to an app to first their detect relative positions. Then your paradigm takes over to detect the Raga.

if what I have said is too dumbed down and you're already ahead of the curve please excuse.